Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

DC Comics, Super Heroes - Limited Edition Bat-Pod (June 2015)

Comments

• kiki180703kiki180703 Montreal, CanadaMember Posts: 1,045
    ^ what is a reasonable price?
    Drmnez
  • ArkadeusArkadeus San Francisco Member Posts: 6
    These are the extras that I got. For those who built theirs, I'm wondering if you have the same leftover pieces
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,912
    Congrats!

Technically, I think purchasing the paper makes you Billy Batts.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    Legoboy said:
    Lots of grey too @Farmer_John.  ;)
    LOL...   I noticed that the real Bat-Pod's rims are black, unlike the unlike the Lego set version. Still trying to figure that alteration out.
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,328
    edited September 2015
    ^ what is a reasonable price?
    I was able to acquire mine for $800. Certainly a lot more than winning it, but not a terrible price considering the current market.
    pharmjodkiki180703BrickDancerSumoLegoAdeelZubairchuckp
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 598
    Great price Sam!  Hoping it does make it down to $500 but you're the winner by far
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    You overpaid..msrp is $50 ;)
    1265pharmjodDrmnezsamiam391ARo2891AdeelZubairkiki180703madforLEGO
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 954

If I stare at this long enough will the post magically appear?
    ericbkiki180703BrickDancer
    edited September 2015
    Gooker1 said:
    Great price Sam!  Hoping it does make it down to $500 but you're the winner by far
    Winner for paying $800 for parts that someone can purchase and make exactly the same model.  No special part(s) and/or minifigure......not so much. But, he did get a colorful box and instructions, so it does make up the difference. ;)
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,911
    SumoLego said:

If I stare at this long enough will the post magically appear?

If you relax your eyes and sort of cross them... Yes.
    1265kiki180703
    ^ When I do that, I only see a white rangefinder.
    pharmjodbandit778kiki180703Goldchainsgmonkey76Rainstorm26
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    1265 said:
    Winner for paying $800 for parts that someone can purchase and make exactly the same model.  No special part(s) and/or minifigure......not so much. But, he did get a colorful box and instructions, so it does make up the difference. ;)
    Awhile back I picked up a "custom" Mr. Gold for under $20, and the asking price for the real thing is somewhere between $1.5K-$1.7K...for 8 parts. If you sit my custom Mr. Gold next to the real Mr. Gold, I doubt you could tell the difference. In fact, the only differentiator would probably be the little piece of paper that says one is authentic and one is not.

Now the Bat-Pod that @samiam391 purchased for $800 comes with 331 pieces (some now extremely rare), a box, and instructions to show its authenticity. There were only 1000 Bat-Pods produced by Lego (as opposed to 5000 Mr. Gold CMFs). Plus as a set, it's much more fun to build and display (as is the box it came in) than a minifigure.

All things being equal, I think @samiam391 got a lot better deal than those who purchased the Mr. Gold CMF.
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 858
    ^^I always regretted not getting a real Mr. Gold, but the price is not worth it to me. Having a completed set of super heroes exclusives means way more
    ^
    I understand your point.  However, anything that is custom is not the real deal (parts wise).  All the Bat-Pod parts can be purchased and exact model can be built for far less than buying the official set.  The Mr. Gold figure is unique where those parts can't be purchased (official Lego pieces) unlike the Bat-Pod.  Sure, piece wise I'll rather have a Bat-Pod than a Mr. Gold, but than again I can build more Bat-Pods than Mr. Golds.  Plus, it's a minifigure!!!  
    DrmnezSumoLegokiki180703TheBigLegoskimadforLEGO
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,328
    I can understand arguments from both sides. People are welcome to their opinion. Most importantly though, I am personally satisfied with my purchase.

Outside of that, I really don't care as much ;)
    1265khmellymelAdeelZubairSumoLegokiki180703hkcrazy88Goldchainschuckp
    As someone like Sam who collects these types of stuff, I defend it.  
  • addemlitaddemlit CaliforniaMember Posts: 118
    Mine is going to stay in the cardboard box sealed forever, stashed in my closet. 
    SumoLegokiki180703
    ^poor batpod.
    kiki180703
  • Mandalorian_BuilderMandalorian_Builder Member Posts: 197
    edited September 2015
    Can we all just stop for a moment and reflect:

We all know the value of this thing because we are plugged into this hobby.

You know there are several people who made a purchase for their kid, have zero appreciation for winning, and probably already trashed the box/instructions.

Their spawn have already scattered the pieces, just like all of his or her other sets. 

That hurts me to my core. 
    Coolguy5000kiki180703TheBigLegoskiBrickDancerGoldchainsWatfordScottyM
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,766
    ^ To make up for not being recognised as a LEGO VIP with a keyring?
    ^  I had a bank error in my favor.

kiki180703LegoboyBumblepantsAdeelZubairGoldchainsMynattgmonkey76
    Lucky bastard.  No such luck for me.

SumoLegokiki180703TheBigLegoskiAdeelZubairkhmellymelGoldchainsgmonkey76
    Lol
    kiki180703
    edited September 2015

Is this what the winner e-mail looks like?

@Huw - would you mind deleting my previous post?  It ruins a much better punchline.  Thanks!

kiki180703FuddruckusGoldchainsricecake
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,711
    edited September 2015
    1265 said:
    ^^
    Gives perspective with the parts laid out to what people are paying around $2K for.  Not for me...but, I don't care for those who do.
    I think they are really paying for the Box and Instruction book, and not so much the parts, as you can BL the set. The Box and Instructions are what the real rare pieces are here
    samiam391 said:
    I can understand arguments from both sides. People are welcome to their opinion. Most importantly though, I am personally satisfied with my purchase.

Outside of that, I really don't care as much ;)
    Understood, value is in the eye of the buyer, but will you feel the same way if LEGO decides to release it as a production set?
    While I doubt it will occur, it has to be in the back of anyone's mind who paid so dearly for one (even those who wound up purchasing a large amount of product to be entered into the contest in the first place). As tiny as Mr Gold is, I feel the odds of him being reproduced by LEGO is far below what the odds are of a bat-pod being done. (and I would not pay 1-2K for him either).

In the end It is whatever someone wants to pay for the happiness of getting such a set.

Just about any set or "promotional" item could always be released in quantity at some point in the future.

But to a certain extent, that is the difference between collecting to possess items, versus acquisition for the immediate/later re-selling of an item.

Am I collecting these Lego things with the primary purpose of selling them elsewhere?  No - which is why I am happy to pay or trade at retail.  If I were looking only to flip or sell an tem, then I would certainly be more sensitive to the acquisition cost of the item and would be looking to acquiring things at a relative wholesale cost.  Sometimes that requires shrewd speculation - and a fair amount of risk!

(Wouldn't we all go back and pre-order cases and cases and cases of Series 10 CMFs to secure an  army of Mr. Golds?)  

• steveomclsteveomcl Member Posts: 191
    I will wait for the hype to die down! Hopefully source my own modded version next year! My tumbler still looks great on its own for now! 
  • wayneggwaynegg Texas,USAMember Posts: 394
    I was able to order every part I needed for this in Bricks and Pieces asides from the shields (which I just bought two of the Flea sets at $15 each to acquire), including the tires. Total was just under $80. If you're intending to build it anyhow. There's no reason to pay thousands for this set. 
    It's a shame briclink stores have marked up the rare pieces! 48euro for 6 shields is crazy! And 50euro for 2 tires! Still cheaper that 2500euro I suppose 
    Any word on digital instructions for this set yet? 
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    ^^ supply and demand plays a role here.
    madforLEGOkiki180703
    The tires on back in stock on the [email protected] website. If anyone can please order an extra 2, I will gladly Paypal you the costs. I cannot place online orders 
  • wayneggwaynegg Texas,USAMember Posts: 394
    1265 said:
    Scale looks about right....

Optical illusion. The bike is in the foreground, but if you follow the brick lines you see the Tumbler is exactly 11 brick widths (roughly 39 inches taking the grout into consideration as well) longer than the Bat-Pod, so the scale is most certainly off. Though, I wouldn't kick it out of bed for that oversite. 
    After watching Dark Knight, my mind's eye recollection of the size of the Tumbler was way, way off.

It's a mini-tank, not a tank tank.

(Although now that I think of it, maybe Bane's Tumbler was larger, and that is what I'm remembering.  Guess I'll have to watch Dark Knight Rises...)
    Sethro3
  • minjietminjiet MalaysiaMember Posts: 8
    addemlit said:
    The tires on back in stock on the [email protected] website. If anyone can please order an extra 2, I will gladly Paypal you the costs. I cannot place online orders 

how to search for it? i cant find it?
    minjiet said:
    addemlit said:

how to search for it? i cant find it?
    https://service.lego.com/en-US/replacementparts

Enter your age, go to I want to buy a piece, brick and pieces selection, and search for part number 18450
    I was emailed today in the UK from Lego saying it is out of stock and my order is on hold 
    Drmnez said:
    Finally got home from traveling and picked this bad boy up at my front door. Thank goodness I can trust my neighbors.
    That's awesome!!  Did you actually open it and the box is cased or the brick built one is actually BL'ed?  Either way...score!!  Where did you get that acrylic case?  Custom made?  Seems like a perfect fit!
    Does the front wheel section rotate like it does in the movies? :)
    Gooker1 said:
    Drmnez said:
    Finally got home from traveling and picked this bad boy up at my front door. Thank goodness I can trust my neighbors.
    That's awesome!!  Did you actually open it and the box is cased or the brick built one is actually BL'ed?  Either way...score!!  Where did you get that acrylic case?  Custom made?  Seems like a perfect fit!
    Yeah...I like the acrylic case! Where did you pick that up from? I could use a good source for acrylic cases!
    My backup HF shields arrived today, a step in the right direction.  Now just need my tyres to arrive that were shipped an eternity ago.  COME ON LEGO!
    Farmer_John
  • JdawgJdawg St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada Member Posts: 83
    addemlit said:
    Still shows OOS for me.
    @Farmer_John @Gooker1 I got the case from Michael's (arts n crafts store) it was housing my ghost microfighter from fan expo, but the batpod box needed a home. I liberated the batpod from the box. I figured since the box and instructions hold the value and now that it is in that case it'll be good to go if I ever decide to sell the box and instructions (inside the box)
  • welo999welo999 AustriaMember Posts: 31
    steveomcl said:
    It's a shame briclink stores have marked up the rare pieces! 48euro for 6 shields is crazy! And 50euro for 2 tires! Still cheaper that 2500euro I suppose 
    As for the shields, yes it's crazy, but this isn't a mark up. The source for them is just getting a lot more expensive. Sure, there will be one or another seller who was lucky buying them while they still were available at BnP.
    But the only way to get some now is buying and parting out HF sets. That is what BL sellers do and you have to put in a lot of time and effort to find some. Most of the other parts in those sets aren't very attractive, they won't sell for a long time, if ever.
    And there's still the risc of not selling the shields.

• DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079
    So i´ve ordered the Tires and it looks like i´ll be able to get the Shields via the Hero Factory Sets, are there any other pieces that are expensive/rare that i should take care of before starting to source the common parts?
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 665
    Diggydoes said:
    ...are there any other pieces that are expensive/rare that i should take care of before starting to source the common parts?
    Nothing else is exceptionally rare or expensive. The newer Technic parts are the least common, but none of the ones I needed went over $.75. 
    Diggydoes
    99% of parts have cost me £90 and I have the tires included in that on order.... My last comment I was putting this build on hold but I got bored today and decided to spend money! The shields arnt the correct colour but who cares I'm not in Lego for resale just pleasure! I will make its mostly black with gold accents to really match the tumbler.