Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego Dimensions

Comments

• dragon114dragon114 United StatesMember Posts: 635
    It seems the clone brands can't  resist ripping off dimensions.  Just saw this online priced at $30. A lot of parents could be mislead into thinking these are a cheaper alternative  to  playing but we all know  they will  never work.
    i can see parent complaining that they don't work with the game.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited August 2015
    Disney Infinity 3.0 arrived this morning, so far the kids seem to be loving it. Very unusual for us to get something on release day, but the kids were desperate and saved up for it themselves.

Its the biggest problem for LEGO Dimensions - the single best licence to have is star wars and they wont be allowed to use it. Presumably they also won't get Indiana Jones (which i would put as the second best licence). Suprised we haven't heard anything about HP yet.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,319
     Personally I'd have put Harry Potter as second best licence, just because the current generation of gamer children have Crystal Skull as the standard for IJ ;-)
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited August 2015
    ^Absolutely, just my personal choice, although also based on how much time my kids play Lego IJ compared to Lego HP. Indiana is just cooler (and we've not let our kids watch Crystal Skull). But I am right that we've not heard anything about HP in Dimensions, am I? Seems odd as its clearly the best licence that should be available to them. Perhaps years 2.
    I've thought from the off that the lack of HP content is weird...I'm still wandering if they've got something planned to cross promote it with Fantastic Beasts.
  • Wicksy80Wicksy80 Northern IrelandMember Posts: 579
    Just found a picture of #71235 Midway Level Pack. Loving the arcade machine of Defender!!! Here's the link http://www.xboxachievements.com/images/news/ExpansionPack_International_MidwayLevelPack.jpg
    ricecakepharmjodGalactusyys4u
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,405
    I know we are getting a Dimensions Dr. Who, but what exactly are the plans for this franchise? I am sorry, I am "out of the loop", so to speak.
  • cakeinmilkcakeinmilk London, UKMember Posts: 33
    One Ideas set confirmed... more probably if that's successful ala Minecraft.

Apparently Sep 1st is rumoured as the reveal day.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,405
    Ok, that's what I thought. Someone posted a Daily Mail article that was misleading. 
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,911
    Wicksy80 said:
    Just found a picture of #71235 Midway Level Pack. Loving the arcade machine of Defender!!! Here's the link http://www.xboxachievements.com/images/news/ExpansionPack_International_MidwayLevelPack.jpg
    Great use of the microphone piece for the joystick! 
  • TheUltimateTFOLTheUltimateTFOL Texas, USAMember Posts: 155
    Should I get this game right when it releases? Everyone seems to be saying that all of the DLC and all that will be sold out by the first couple of weeks. Really want this with some DLC packs but it is down to this and Battlefield 4. Been wanting Battlefield for the last year or so, looks amazing just like BF3. Should I wait on BF4, since its not going anywhere soon, and get Dimensions while I still can? Or should I get BF4 because I've finally got a chance to get it?

Edit: I just realized that its not a good idea to ask this on an Lego forum. :smile: 
    Wait...I just read online that out of the 14 worlds, only 3 come with the main game: Lego Movie, Lord of the Rings, and DC Universe. The only way to get to the other 11 is by buying DLC from that franchise. I suppose that adds more value to the DLC, but it makes us all madder at Lego for locking everything to us. This is quite possibly the worst case of DLC that should be with the starter pack I've ever seen.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,862
    Wait...I just read online that out of the 14 worlds, only 3 come with the main game: Lego Movie, Lord of the Rings, and DC Universe. The only way to get to the other 11 is by buying DLC from that franchise. I suppose that adds more value to the DLC, but it makes us all madder at Lego for locking everything to us. This is quite possibly the worst case of DLC that should be with the starter pack I've ever seen.
    Where did you read that? It seems to contradict what I had heard, which is that all the levels except the "bonus levels" unlocked by the Level Packs are included in the starter pack. In fact, I haven't heard anything about DLC for this game — the only bonus content I've heard about is the stuff you unlock with the physical toy sets, like the characters you get in the fun packs or the bonus levels you get in the level packs.

I don't think there's any pressing reason to make this game a day-one purchase unless you're really looking forward to playing it right away. Granted, I'm not a gamer myself, so there could be market forces I'm unaware of, but I have been keeping up with LEGO Dimensions news as a news reporter for BZPower, so if there were news about DLC I'd think I'd know about it.

As for the fun packs, level packs, etc; if you're worried about those running out there's nothing stopping you from getting them BEFORE you get the Starter Pack.
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,377
    All levels are playable from the starter set...to play t :) e openworld free play you need a character from that world...bonus levels are in the level packs....so you could play through the whole story game without buying anything else.
    Aanchir
  • Penkid11Penkid11 Member Posts: 788
    There are 14 playable worlds. Any level packs releasing alongside or after the game's release are merely DLC levels, so to speak.

For instance, there's a Portal 2 level in the official game that's played in the average Lego game style, but if you have the Portal 2 Level Pack, you can scan Chell into the game and get a bonus level that includes several new test chambers in the style of the Portal games.
    dannyrwwAanchir
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,568
    Don't know if this was asked before, but does anyone know if once a pack/figure is sold out/out of stock it's gone for good? Are the packs going to be around for the standard LEGO time of about a year like the sets, or are they going to be like JW Raptor Escape and gone after the set number of sets they made are gone?
    I'm guessing they will restock similar to Skylanders and even other Lego sets. Right now you can preorder specific  characters which is different than other games like this.
    gmonkey76 said:
    Don't know if this was asked before, but does anyone know if once a pack/figure is sold out/out of stock it's gone for good? Are the packs going to be around for the standard LEGO time of about a year like the sets, or are they going to be like JW Raptor Escape and gone after the set number of sets they made are gone?
    think their will always be one fig from each dimensions and all the level packs available  
  • chuxtoyboxchuxtoybox Member Posts: 711
    ^Absolutely, just my personal choice, although also based on how much time my kids play Lego IJ compared to Lego HP. Indiana is just cooler (and we've not let our kids watch Crystal Skull). But I am right that we've not heard anything about HP in Dimensions, am I? Seems odd as its clearly the best licence that should be available to them. Perhaps years 2.
    Have you not let them watch it because you think they are too young or because you don't want to expose them to how terrible a movie it is? :)
    dannyrww
    They show HP in one of the trailers, don't they, so he must be in it.
  • hkcrazy88hkcrazy88 USA/ItalyMember Posts: 163
    I'm so torn about this. I tried to get into Infinity, and just couldn't so I really don't think I will play the game. But I love all of the fun packs and level packs....so I'll just buy them and never play the game? Decisions!
    dannyrww said:
    All levels are playable from the starter set...to play t :) e openworld free play you need a character from that world...bonus levels are in the level packs....so you could play through the whole story game without buying anything else.
    Yeah, that's what I meant. As far as I can see, they give you about 14/19 levels and 3/14 worlds. So you get about 75% of the story mode and 20% of the free play mode. I think a lot of people who were planning on not getting the DLC will get it just to unlock free play mode. I personally wanted The Lego Movie, LoTR, DC Universe, Scooby Doo, and Ninjago, so I just got lucky that three of those five are included. Still probably will get some more.

Also, for those wanting DLC but cringing at the price, I think that the more DLC per franchise the cheaper it will be. For example, there is only one Wizard of Oz pack so it will probably stay at full price but there are six Ninjago packs so they will hopefully go to about half price.
    dannyrww
    I really don't think I will buy every set that comes out. Just the ones I want (which admittedly is a lot). Just like any Lego theme I don't feel the need to be a completest.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    Don't forget that there will be some of us who have little interest in the game but want the figs/packs. Some packs will be very popular others not so much.

I'd really like Slimmer and Stay Puff but at $25 each I'm not so keen. To make it worse  I'll almost garuntee that these two will be some of the most popular so the chances of dinging them on clearance will probably be slim.
    Slimer and Stay Puft will be $15 I believe.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    dannyrww said:
    Slimer and Stay Puft will be $15 I believe.
    Yeah sorry, it's $25AUD. (About $17.80USD).
    I don't remember seeing HP in any of the trailers yet, could be wrong but don't remember seeing any worlds that are currently not known.
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,840
    I was out at Pax Prime today in Seattle, WA and I went to check out the Lego Dimensions booth. Got some pictures of the figures and new parts. I also got some pictures of some awesome brick built statues there. The game itself was kinda meh and got a little confusing at some parts where you had to move around the physical figures and what not. 

Parts note: The Portal gun is a very soft rubber piece and the white is sprayed on, I was not expecting this and was hoping it would be more of a hard plastic as rubber handles get ruined very easily. The doctor's tool is hard plastic and the paint job is very well done. I got a picture of the inside of his hair for any part junkies like me out there. ;)

AyliffejonamokMinifigsMeAdeelZubair
    Shib said:
    I don't remember seeing HP in any of the trailers yet, could be wrong but don't remember seeing any worlds that are currently not known.
    I would have sworn that I saw Harry Potter in the very first trailer but now I don't see him either! Am I the only one or was he there and taken out for some reason?
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,242
    ^^ There are some things I really miss about living in Van cover and proximity to PAX and Emerald City CC is one of them. Sigh... Thanks for posting pics @bobabricks !
    bobabrickshkcrazy88
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,905
    If there is some sort of Skylanders-like video game planned for the HP Universe, I can see them limiting availability of similar products.

Same reason for the exclusion of Star Wars, Marvel and Disney characters.
    edited September 2015
    hear an unbooxing of the game for wii u 
  • scotty12scotty12 United States, IowaMember Posts: 700

Does anyone know how often you'll have to purchase the $99 starter pack?  I was hoping it was one time thing, but I was told tonight (Gamestop employee) that LEGO will probably come out with 'newer versions' every year or every couple of years....like Disney Infinity.

I'm already tired of the Disney Infinity series....the kids seldomly play it and I only bought the 1.0 and 2.0 during Black Friday 50% off...but it's still a lot of money and a waste of time to keep upgrading.

scotty12 said:

Does anyone know how often you'll have to purchase the $99 starter pack?  I was hoping it was one time thing, but I was told tonight (Gamestop employee) that LEGO will probably come out with 'newer versions' every year or every couple of years....like Disney Infinity.

I'm already tired of the Disney Infinity series....the kids seldomly play it and I only bought the 1.0 and 2.0 during Black Friday 50% off...but it's still a lot of money and a waste of time to keep upgrading.

their will only be one game with more packs add via dlc
  • RailsRails Brierley Hill, UKMember Posts: 143
    edited September 2015
    I really had no intention of getting Dimensions but now I am getting tempted lol. I was thinking of getting the add on packs I want first before they sell out and just wait a bit for the starter pack to go on sale. Do we know yet if the first wave of add ons will be available for the next few years or will it literally be a case of once they are gone that is it?
    scotty12 said:

That Gamestop employee obviously failed to do their research... product descriptions are very clear that LEGO will NOT be forcing you to buy a new starter pack each year just to use the new expansion packs, as Disney Infinity and Skylanders have done.

"The Starter Pack Will Last. The LEGO Toy Pad and the videogame found in the initial Starter Pack will offer continued compatibility with future Expansion Packs for years to come. Like any LEGO building set, LEGO Dimensions is a system of play that offers continued compatibility - everything bought today or expanded with tomorrow will continue to work."

In my opinion, this is one of the smartest decisions the creators of this game have made, and will take some of the bite out of the Starter Pack's upfront cost. Perhaps not enough to give them a huge competitive advantage, but at least enough to help offset the competitive disadvantage of the higher price point.
  • RailsRails Brierley Hill, UKMember Posts: 143
    It will be interesting to see if people who only care about the figures and not playing the game will sell off the special bases to recoup some of their cost and how much they will be selling for.
    edited September 2015
    Rails said:
    It will be interesting to see if people who only care about the figures and not playing the game will sell off the special bases to recoup some of their cost and how much they will be selling for.
    i would say $5-10 since not many people want to pay $10 for a pack that they can get for $5 more
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 852
    dragon114 said:
    Rails said:
    i would say $5-10 since not many people want to pay $10 for a pack that they can get for $5 more
    I think you're overestimating the price a bit—$5, maybe, but do you expect anyone to really pay $10 for the base when for just $5 more they could get a Fun Pack with that PLUS the physical minifigure PLUS a mini-vehicle? I think the price for the bases alone will be under $10 in most cases—maybe a good thing for players who want to complete the game itself on a budget, but perhaps less so for buyers interested in figs who want to recoup their cost.

Another factor to consider—I haven't watched a lot of videos of the gameplay, but considering that the vehicle bases all LOOK identical, it would not necessarily surprise me if they also FUNCTIONED identically, serving as only a "memory card" for whichever vehicle you currently have built (with the vehicles themselves serving as glorified labels for remembering which model you currently have assigned to the base). Otherwise, it would be easy to mix up the bases when the vehicles were removed. If that turns out to be the case, then the vehicle bases will probably go for even less in the aftermarket.
    Lyichir said:
    dragon114 said:
    Rails said:
    I think you're overestimating the price a bit—$5, maybe, but do you expect anyone to really pay $10 for the base when for just $5 more they could get a Fun Pack with that PLUS the physical minifigure PLUS a mini-vehicle? I think the price for the bases alone will be under $10 in most cases—maybe a good thing for players who want to complete the game itself on a budget, but perhaps less so for buyers interested in figs who want to recoup their cost.

Another factor to consider—I haven't watched a lot of videos of the gameplay, but considering that the vehicle bases all LOOK identical, it would not necessarily surprise me if they also FUNCTIONED identically, serving as only a "memory card" for whichever vehicle you currently have built (with the vehicles themselves serving as glorified labels for remembering which model you currently have assigned to the base). Otherwise, it would be easy to mix up the bases when the vehicles were removed. If that turns out to be the case, then the vehicle bases will probably go for even less in the aftermarket.
    I think that was his point — that the price for the bases will be under $10, because at $10 or higher people will likely decide that they might as well just buy the fun packs.

Also, I'm doing a bit of a double-take; didn't even realize you had an account here! (Lyi is my twin brother if anybody is scratching their heads).
    khmellymelGalactus
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,242
    Actually, that's an interesting thought I hadn't considered.  I'm on the fence about getting the game, because I do think it's quite pricey.  I might happily buy into the starter back once it comes down a bit, but there are too many add ons. Looking for those people on eBay just the bases is probably a better way to get more game content at a lower cost, which does boost my intrigue in Dimensions all of a sudden.  

I suppose that's looking at it from a gaming perspective though, and not a Lego perspective.  I would, of course, already have the bases from the packs I'd buy in order to get the figs/vehicles/builds/whatever.  Because... well... duh.
    SumoLego
    I think i'd be in the market for the bases and not the figures or vehicles.

I assume the 'game' part is easily divisible from the 'Lego' part?
    SumoLego said:
    I think i'd be in the market for the bases and not the figures or vehicles.

I assume the 'game' part is easily divisible from the 'Lego' part?
    I mean, not entirely. The building instructions for the LEGO mini-models only exist in-game, so that much at least seems to depend on having both the game and the figures (although I'm sure most are easy enough to figure out on their own, given how small they are).

I believe I've read the game does require you to have a figure on the minifigure bases in order to scan them, though it's not advanced enough to tell which figure you're using, so you could probably just use a stock figure on the desired character's base in most cases. I'm not sure how the game identifies the mini-vehicles.
    I assume that the gameplay data would be embedded in the base and have nothing to do with the minifigure or vehicle - much like the Infinity, Amiibo and Skylanders. 
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,308
    edited September 2015
    ^ Also could be that the claim of needing a figure on the base, etc, is a marketing ploy. How many people will buy the bases if they believe they need the minifigures/vehicles they are meant to come with. I don't doubt it could be done, simple include weight detectors in the main unit, but that would add to the overall production cost of said unit, which means less profit per starter kit.
    VorpalRyu said:
    ^ Also could be that the claim of needing a figure on the base, etc, is a marketing ploy. How many people will buy the bases if they believe they need the minifigures/vehicles they are meant to come with. I don't doubt it could be done, simple include weight detectors in the main unit, but that would add to the overall production cost of said unit, which means less profit per starter kit.
    I believe the thing I read about needing a figure was from a journalist testing the game at SDCC. And I believe he was speaking from that experience. He said something about being able to put Doc Brown on the Doctor's base and the figure scanning in as the Doctor. If it were just something he were told by a LEGO rep then I can't see them wanting to advertise that the identity of the figure doesn't matter.

Originally I thought it might mean that the studs might feature buttons of some sort that would need to be pressed to complete the circuit for the electronic components. That'd probably be a lot cheaper than a weight sensor. But looking at this picture of the bases, that doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe the guy reporting that detail was totally wrong and his base failed to scan because of some glitch rather than because it didn't have a fig on it. But either way, as long as it doesn't matter what fig is on the base, then you should be able to play the game just fine with or without the figures that correspond to each base.
    Fom everything we've seen so far I doubt that's the case, likely either a mistake or a misunderstanding on the journalists part.
  • Angel_CAngel_C Member Posts: 17
    It's gonna be really pricy to collect all of them while we don't play video games that much. Decision, decision.....
    and speculation of new sets is already appearing on most of the Lego news sites with his list: http://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-dimensions-2016-expansion-pack-rumored-list/ (I picked my favorite  The Brickfan, but it is appearing on others)