Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

10223 Kingdoms Joust

bor2112bor2112 Member Posts: 289
edited December 2011 in Collecting
No reviews have been posted yet. Wondering if anyone has built it? Impressions? Recommended?

Comments

• StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    I haven't but I'm looking forward getting it. Liking the look of the Black Falcon and design of the gatehouse.
  • bor2112bor2112 Member Posts: 289
    Trying to decide if it is worth another hit to the wallet after the holiday (and post-holiday!!) spending. Or trying to be patient...
  • StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    Yeah, lately I've been refusing to pay RRP on Lego. However, I'm in New Zealand so we're almost double the US anyway. I'd gladly pay US RRP on Lego, but know nothing of whether it's expected to go on sale in the US.
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    Sales/clearance has spoiled me.

With that said, I'm waiting for free shipping/double VIP points at the very least before buying this beast. I really want it though.
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    I have too much a backlog of unbuilt sets, so I'm holding off, too. Looks awesome though.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    half way through it, and IMO its far better than kings castle or MVR so far.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    I'm not going to buy it until there is a sale or deal...

I have such a backlog of sets to build, why pay full price?
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    It is a lovely set, and an enjoyable build, but unless you're in a huge hurry for it (say, to be part of a LUG display) then I'd say be patient and wait for an offer .... there's no hurry, as it'll be around for a while :-)

If you're thinking about displaying this set, it's worth thinking about buying 2 of them; it's modular and was designed to work as a pair. This pic shows two sets combined -
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dan_rubin/6198815201/
    If ever there was a set designed for a BOGO, this is it. :)

Now, lets see if TRU offers it at RRP and allows 2 to be purchased at once. ;)
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,619
    Not a review as such, but I was given the opportunity to get a sneak peek of the set and blog about it a few months back.

http://gimmelego.blogspot.com/2011/10/revealed-kingdoms-set-10223-royal-joust.html

I'd agree with @bluemoose - it's a really neat set and on my 'must buy' list for 2012.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,392
    Is it better than the MMV? Seems to be a lot more money for less lego IMO. I though it was a [email protected] exclusive as well so not likely to get on a 3 for 2?
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    Lovely set, but little chance of any discount on this in the UK as it will be [email protected] exclusive.
    At best might get 10% during the year through a lego promotion.
    It's probably a must buy for the Black Falcon alone.
  • StevenAshbyStevenAshby Member Posts: 155
    im going to get this set no doubt but looking at the pics of two combined im confused, I can see the extra side bits but where does the 2nd castle part go does it make a full arena?
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,407
    On a slight tangent it seems to have dropped off [email protected] at the momment?
    @drdavewatford, thanks for the link -- very informative and great pics!

@bluemoose, thanks for doubling my spending ;)
  • The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    @bor2112 There is a 23-minute review on YouTube:
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,392
    Is it better than the MMV? Seems to be a lot more money for less lego IMO. I though it was a [email protected] exclusive as well so not likely to get on a 3 for 2?
    ^Thanks, TBB. Now, do you also provide drool-removal services ;)
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    Is it better than the MMV?
    This is a very subjective question, so not sure how it can be answered in a useful way, but here goes .... yes, it is.

I can see the extra side bits but where does the 2nd castle part go does it make a full arena?
    It's back-to-back with the original gateway. If you buy four of them, then you can do a fully arena ;-)
    ^ahhh now i can see it.

The Question now is am i the only person tempted by 4 of them and getting a full arena :)
  • CCLINCCLIN United StatesMember Posts: 23
    ^ Nope, you're not alone, sir...:)
    ^No, I think we are all tempted, but our other needs will curb the temptation....I could probably go without food for Lego, but not sure my boys would feel the same
    4 of them? Yikes! That is NUTS!

Lego should offer a 4 pack on their web site for a discount. Surely for people willing to buy 4 of them, 20% off isn't unreasonable? :)
    glad its not just me who needs help haha. I think they missed a trick here what they should have done is done 4 versions of it buildings the same but with different knights and banners so it would look like a real tournament, then the appeal of buying for would be much much higher for me if they had done that.
    ^ that would mean 4 different SKUs & four times as much shelf space ... unless they blind-packaged them, so you wouldn't know which of the 4 versions you were getting until you got home ... now that would be insane :-D
  • aplbomr79aplbomr79 Member Posts: 159
    I did get mine yesterday - and was planning on just taking a 'peak' at the Black Falcon mini-fig, BUT...

I had nothing else to do - the boys were taking a nap. So I got a little ambitious. It was an enjoyable build, there are some great MFs - and I will say that I was pleasantly surprised at the BF Knight!! (For reasons I will share in the review).

It is a great build, but I would not compare it to MMV - that is a whole different can of worms. If you are expecting the moon, you will be disappointed - if you are an avid Castle fan, then this will not disappoint.

• doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    Wow this is a really cool set and I will be purchasing at least two. Seems to be an excellent candidate for a B1G1 sale at some stage in the future.
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    Yea I bought it at the LEGO store using a 10% off coupon I got in the catalog. Haven't built it yet but I gotta say I was not as WOWed by it as I was the Imperial Flagship and MMV. So I would probably wait if I were you. I got it because I thought it'd be really popular like Superheroes that sold out really fast, but it seems to still be on the shelves and in stock
  • MCNwakeboardMCNwakeboard VirginiaMember Posts: 315
    I'll probably get one with the 10% coupon as well and then wait to get another depending on final pics and prices on the lord of the rings sets. Hopefully it won't take too long for TRU to carry it.
  • 1brickshyofcrazy1brickshyofcrazy Member Posts: 31
    I may pick up 1 or 2 sets to build a larger scene but the Lego 10223 Kingdoms Joust set seems to be either the last of the Kingdoms series or the beginning of a new series of Kingdoms sets to come but we haven't really seen anything new related to the Kingdoms series since the 2012 sets have been coming out...