Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Nice Parts Usage! Week's 9 and 10: Sluuurp

Good morning, and welcome to Nice Parts Usage!, the new game in the forum. In this game, I will pick out a brick and you will come up with clever new ways to use it or show ways you have used it before. Unfortunately, I cannot provide prizes at this time, but you may donate a polybag or something to the winner. You will have two weeks this time around in a very special episode of Nice Parts Usage!

First off, sorry for missing last week's episode. It completely slipped my mind and I didn't remember it until Friday, at which point it wouldn't have been worth writing. So without further ado, Nice Parts Usage!

This week's part is a minifig utensil commonly seen in minifig offices around the world. No, it's not a water cooler, it's...

389921 Mug!
This piece has been in 343 sets in eight colors and four designs. It first appeared in 1994. It is relatively common, so almost everyone should be able to build with it. Hop to it! This has been...

Nice Parts Usage!

p.s. If you can use those human-sized mugs they sell, you will win bonus points.
kiki180703jason1976

Comments

• dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,395
    Thanks again for posting and hosting. As always I will try to participate (now with school just starting we will see if I have time....maybe my students can come up with some clever builds for these).
  • jason1976jason1976 LondonMember Posts: 264
    Yay! I actually have some of these so I just need to think up something clever to make with them.....
  • NatebwNatebw Tampa BayMember Posts: 339
    This is the space ship that I made last week to utilize mugs.....

dannyrwwkiki180703LordofLegojason1976ScogaliricecakeAdeelZubair
  • LordofLegoLordofLego Member Posts: 311
    Natebw said:
    This is the space ship that I made last week to utilize mugs.....

Oh, yeah. You were the one who suggested this. Thanks for the idea. I couldn't remember your username or find your comment, so I couldn't give you credit for the idea.
    khmellymel
  • chuxtoyboxchuxtoybox Member Posts: 711
    edited September 2015
    Just tried to connect 2 of these together. Surprised to find out that the bottom of one mug does not interlock with the mouth of another. The mouth of the mug does not interlock with either the bottom or the top of a 1x1 round.

Seems kind of strange to me considering LEGO usually designs their elements to interlock one way or another most of the time.

This is going to be more difficult than I thought. Have to decide if I'm just going to use an illegal technique. 
    Natebw
    Just tried to connect 2 of these together. Surprised to find out that the bottom of one mug does not interlock with the mouth of another. The mouth of the mug does not interlock with either the bottom or the top of a 1x1 round.

Seems kind of strange to me considering LEGO usually designs their elements to interlock one way or another most of the time.

This is going to be more difficult than I thought. Have to decide if I'm just going to use an illegal technique. 
    Too bad it didn't work. Go ahead with the illegal technique; I don't care.
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,565
    we have our winner ^ lol
    LordofLego
    SirBen said:
    For a challenge over on Flickr requiring the use of the pink mug, I put together these pieces a couple weeks ago:
    Rolling Along:

Shooting Gallery:

Calicem 
    I really like the flower... That's gonna be hard to beat.
    SirBenTarDomo
    Next challenge is coming soon, don't worry.
    @chuxtoybox @dannyrww Dilemma: do I post a three-day contest, get off schedule, or wait for Sunday?
    Wait for Sunday
    dannyrww said:
    Wait for Sunday
    Okay, thanks. That makes more sense, but I just thought I'd ask. I will do that then.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,451
    @LordofLego - you seem to be struggling to keep up with weekly and I think a lot of people don't have a lot of time on a weekly basis to join in, have you thought of trying for a monthly challenge instead?
    jason1976
  • jason1976jason1976 LondonMember Posts: 264
    Shib said:
    @LordofLego - you seem to be struggling to keep up with weekly and I think a lot of people don't have a lot of time on a weekly basis to join in, have you thought of trying for a monthly challenge instead?
    Yes - maybe fortnightly or monthly would be good, I just haven't had time to make anything decent for this week's challenge, but do really want to contribute to this, especially as I have the piece to use this time!
    @jason1976 @Shib I was kind of thinking I should switch to a biweekly schedule like I have been accidentally doing. I wouldn't really notice the difference, I would have twice as long before I ran out of good pieces, and people would have more time to build. I have either not had time to write or not remembered to on time the last few weeks. After the tractor pull summer circuit is over in a few weeks, it may be easier to do it weekly, but I kind of like the biweekly schedule. We'll see, I guess.
    dannyrwwSirBenjason1976
    You are doing just fine and its great that you even bother to do these. Don't fret. Every two weeks is great. Now that I'm back in the classroom for the school year I do find less time to build (I also have to do a quick build for my 52 weeks of Lego project). Despite the fact I don't really get the summer off I did have more time to build. Oh well, with two weeks to plan I might get back into the swing of these.
    LordofLego
    dannyrww said:
    You are doing just fine and its great that you even bother to do these. Don't fret. Every two weeks is great. Now that I'm back in the classroom for the school year I do find less time to build (I also have to do a quick build for my 52 weeks of Lego project). Despite the fact I don't really get the summer off I did have more time to build. Oh well, with two weeks to plan I might get back into the swing of these.
    Okay. I will do that for a while, then. Thanks!
    jason1976
  • rdflegordflego in a world of his ownMember Posts: 324

Feared that I might miss this week's competition but I'm glad I made it in time. Here is my Parthenon build thing
    TheLoneTensorkiki180703LordofLegoShibsnowhitiejason1976GothamConstructionCoGalactus
    I had no idea but you inspired me.

kiki180703LordofLego
  • Angel_CAngel_C Member Posts: 17
    Some really cool creations. (Admiring all the MOCs above).
    I think these threads should be open ended so people can still submit even after the "allotted" time frame.
    I had no idea but you inspired me.

This is why I don't like computer- generated entries. I don't think this is  possible to build in the physical world. This is not a personal attack on you or your creation, Fauch. I'm just expressing my feelings on building with virtual LEGO.

I don't know if the program you're using only lets you build what is actually possible, but my understanding is that you could put ten mugs floating across the top of this image not connected to anything.

Feared that I might miss this week's competition but I'm glad I made it in time. Here is my Parthenon build thing

This builder had to figure out a way to make those cups stack like that. As I said in one of my earlier posts, they don't interlock, but this person found a solution to get around that. This is what impresses and inspires me. 
    My guess is they are more balanced than really sturdily connected.
    Oh wait I see they are connected to the center hinges
    chuxtoybox

here are pictures with most bricks hidden, so you can have a better idea of how it works. I think everything is connected somewhere, but I dunno how sturdy it would be for real.

Mynatt
    I hope my comment wasn't too harsh or taken that way.

I'm not trying to be a jerk and I'm not personally attacking Fauch or trying to accuse him of intentionally doing something wrong and I certainly hope I'm not discouraging him or anyone else from joining these threads.  I realize he may not have any of the cup element in his collection. I just feel that, even in a casual setting, if someone does use a computer generated entry it should still be possible to build it physically.

Even if he used illegal techniques, such as simply stacking the cups, I don't think Fauch could really do some of the things with the cup element that he did in VR. I'm in no way a "Master Builder" and in fact far from it, so I could be wrong.

SirBen created a flower using the cup in a way I would have never thought of and from what I can tell, all of his build is "legal" and I learned something from his MOC, which is something I try to get from joining and viewing these threads. 
    @Fauch , you posted while I was typing my post so it might seem like I'm referring to your post which I wasn't. :) Does that make sense? LOL

I'm trying to start a civil conversation, not just trying to tear apart your build. As you said, your build certainly would not be stable.

Looking at this picture, that cup vertically in the middle at the top would definitely float, and I'm using a real cup and cylinder to test it. I'm still not sure if it would actually stay. Then you have the one that's upside down on the left. I guess it's being supported by the clip connected to the bar.  How is the black 1x1 on the right being supported? Once again, that middle cup seems to be the flaw.

I don't build using LDD(?) because I find it frustrating myself, so I don't know if it's letting you defy gravity.

I definitely don't see how these black pins could stay like this in real life. :)
    I'm really not trying to be a dick but I see a few things here the computer allowed that can't be done.
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,735
    I definitely don't see how these black pins could stay like this in real life. :)
    I believe this image shows some of the "pipes" removed to explain how they are supported. In the actual build, the pins would be connected by pin connecter pieces (i.e. the one on the lower left).

As best I can tell from using it, LDD doesn't allow illegal techniques. It can allow pieces to defy gravity by building something up and then deleting supporting pieces. It can also allow unstable models (e.g. unbalanced) because there is no physics modeling involved. But in general, if you keep these things in mind, it's pretty easy to use LDD to build models that would be perfectly buildable with physical pieces.

I tried to rebuild some part of it for real. most of the bricks are very old and used, so that must be why the alignment isn't great. one problem I see is the friction in the technic pipes is low, so the cups which aren't clipped can move around a bit. according to LDD, there is another similar but slightly different piece, so this one may have more friction (like the black/grey pins) but I didn't see any in my spare pieces.

Mynatt
    @binaryeye : Even though it's a computer program, you still have to add the pieces 1 by 1.

The two black pins and the gray on top of them are definitely floating in space. There are actually 3 places where this is happening. You might be able to push a bar through those pins to make them stay together but I don't think you can.

The cup on the left is balancing on the 2 black pins and 1 gray pin, which are either floating or balancing themselves on that stud in the baseplate. Then you have a headlight brick on top of that cup which could be being held there buy a pin but would be loose because, to the best of my knowledge, nothing locks securely with the mouth of the cup. That headlight brick seems to be supporting the long bar which is supporting the headlight brick on the right which gravity would probably not allow due to the loose connection at the mouth of the cup with the first headlight brick.

Actually, looking at it again, that headlight brick at the top right is not being held by the long bar but by the cup connected to the curved pipe which would not stay because gravity would make the cup spin downward due to the weight of the headlight brick.

The 1x1 headlight brick on the bottom right is sitting offset on top of the baseplate which is possible to do in real life but would have no purpose.

This is kind of fun trying to figure this build out.
    edited September 2015
    The posting while I'm typing happened again. :)

So I guess what I didn't realize is that you were able to strip away the tubes to show an "x-ray" of the location of the black pins. Which is what binaryeye was saying but I didn't understand until you showed a physical build displayed on your keyboard:)

I still want to make this thing in real life now to see if it's possible. :)
    edited September 2015

in LDD, there is a function to hide bricks, which is useful when you need to have an unobstructed view of some part of the model. the bricks are still there, you just can't see them.

see here, most bricks have been turned invisible. I made the pipes and some of the supports transparent.

chuxtoybox
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,735
    @binaryeye : Even though it's a computer program, you still have to add the pieces 1 by 1.
    Yes, but what does that have to do with anything I wrote?

As for the rest of your post, you're looking at the wrong image. The one with "floating" pins has many of the pieces removed to show how the whole thing is built.

I'm fairly sure the whole thing can be built with physical pieces. If I have time, I'll try it tonight (though I'll have to find a substitute for the elbow pieces, which I don't have any of).
    chuxtoybox
    That middle vertical cup is what was bothering me. :) Now that I see how you did it I owe you an apology, but at least I did learn something about LDD from all of this and also a different way to connect that damn cup to other elements. :)
    The cup I'm referring to is actually horizontal. I'm going to shut up now and wait for the next building challenge. :)
    The cup I'm referring to is actually horizontal. I'm going to shut up now and wait for the next building challenge. :)
    Which should be this evening.
    Probably no time to write, but this part is the next one:

http://brickset.com/parts/6075354
    What's with all these tiny pieces?
    What's with all these tiny pieces?
    I was just looking through the 2015 pieces to find one and this looked good. Next time it'll be bigger. Also, sorry about the italics. For some reason I can't get them to turn off.
    next piece is the 32x48 raised baseplate XD
    Natebw
    Fauch said:
    next piece is the 32x48 raised baseplate XD
    Not a bad plan, really.