Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

TRU Bricktober sets??

ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
We are only 30 (ish) days away from TRU's annual Bricktober event. Last years mini-modulars were a nice surprise even if they were a little pricy at $20.00 each. I wonder what they will do this year since they do not seem to follow any sort of predictable pattern. Mini-figs? Vingettes? More mini-mods? Care to speculate? 

Comments

• CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,342
    :)

40141 Bricktober Hotel
    40142 Bricktober Train Station
    40143 Bricktober Bakery
    40144 Bricktober Toys R Us Store
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,863
    My local TRU still has last year's on the shelf!
    ARo2891Ma1234madforLEGObrumey
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    ^^ For real? Where did you get that info? That would make a neat line-up if you can get past the probable price tag of $20.00. I wonder if 40144 would have a printed TRU tile?

^ Yes, one of my local stores still has some left too! It's doubtful that these would be a high demand item base on how quickly the excitement faded last year. 

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,669
    While it would have been nicer if they matched the minimods that LEGO put out a few years ago, I have to admit that if TRU will be doing these as a constant bricktober giveaway I am more interested in them, but that 19.99 USD is a bit pricey for me. The good news is there is one TRU near me that still has many of these older sets if I change my mind.
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    Very interesting that some stores still have some available. Mine must have not got too many in, because I went the first day of the sale week and they said they were sold out already...They did that twice during the month, so I didn't bother again. I rarely make it to TRU anyway since it is so far out of the way and I've only ever been disappointed there. So I'll pass on these also.
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 836
    I wonder if this Bionicle polybag might be released in the U.S. as part of that event, like last year's Dareth vs. Nindroid Ninjago polybag...
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 865
    Lyichir said:
    I wonder if this Bionicle polybag might be released in the U.S. as part of that event, like last year's Dareth vs. Nindroid Ninjago polybag...

The TRU stuff tends to have their logo on the packaging, but it's always possible. I've seen small quantities of random polys turn up at TRU in the UK so I suppose they're happy to sell whatever they can get their hands on.
  • bsiu922bsiu922 SF Bay Area, CAMember Posts: 439
    two of my Toys R us still quite a bit of the last year 4 some! When I tried to get it last October, the staff just give me bunch of BS too since i only want to those set!

Just wait - they'll cut production on the 2015 sets and we'll be fighting over them.

Or getting Town Hall'd and have to pay ridiculous after-market prices.
  • HangedSanchezHangedSanchez United KingdomMember Posts: 310
    http://brickset.com/article/16654/more-cool-bricktober-sets-from-toys-r-us-this-year

They've been revealed! and very nice they are too...

If only they released them in the UK!
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,159
    I'd like this year's four and the three I'm missing from last year. I'm hoping I can just buy them at retail. My TRU doesn't always allow that.

The only one from last year I actually saw on a shelf at mine was the Town Hall, which I bought.
  • iplanteiplante USMember Posts: 164
    Those look awesome!
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 598
    They do look awesome, but $20 a pop is still a lot to ask for them. 

And I'll still pay it. lol
    They are very expensive.
    My local TRU has three of the four still in stock for 19.99 USD. While a fair price, Im not sure I would want to pay 20 per for them.
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,418
    And instead of 6 studs across they are 9? Um... ok.

Yeah. I'll buy them anyway.
    I counted 10 studs across and 8 studs deep except on the Hotel.

The Hotel appears to be 8 studs across and 6 deep. 

It appears the Hotel and Toys R Us Store both use stickers.
    I take that back. The Hotel and Bakery are 8 studs across and 8 studs deep while the Train Station and Store are 10 studs across and 8 studs deep.

I personally think $15 would be a much better price point, but they do have a slight bit of exclusivity to them as well.
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 598
    "Slight" is being polite since a lot of stores have a couple remnants from last year. :)

• ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    edited September 2015
    The bigger sets might actually be worth about $20.00. Some stores last year would allow you to buy 4 and get one free which made the price $16.00 each.

I'm sure all 8 will look great on the mantle that will not fit a full size Modular!
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,905
    Still not interested in these just like last year. Thankfully a pass for me.
    gmonkey76
  • DollarStudiosDollarStudios UKMember Posts: 45
    Last year I luckily picked up three when I visited New York then bought the third off eBay but it looks like I am going to have to Bricklink them this year.
  • DollarStudiosDollarStudios UKMember Posts: 45
    Last year I luckily picked up three when I visited New York then bought the third off eBay but it looks like I am going to have to Bricklink them this year.
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,048
    ^ New York New York, so good you bought them twice?
    ^^ Or someone here could just ship them to you...
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 1,915
    edited September 2015
    Speaking of Bricktober:

CELEBRATE BRICKTOBER AT TOYS “R” US!

Visit any US Toys“R”Us store on Saturday, October 17 from 12-2 pm for a LEGO building event and take home a Free Mini LEGO City Kayak! 

Event intended for children ages 6-up. Parental supervision required at all times. All giveaways and event materials available while supplies last and distributed to participating children only. Limit one per child. Quantities limited. No rain checks.
    dannyrwwSirBen
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,372
    Nice! The last few years it has been some licensed theme. This is nice in its simplicity. 
  • hkcrazy88hkcrazy88 USA/ItalyMember Posts: 163
    Very excited for these! I'm hoping my mom's TRU will let her buy them individually, but I don't think they did last year. Does anyone remember how much you had to purchase to get one last year? Was it $75?
  • tomahawkertomahawker Member Posts: 181
    Why do all the cars, trucks, and buses have clear plates beneath them?  Is this some kind of futuristic Lego town with flying vehicles?
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited September 2015
    The way those "wheels" are attached (using 4081 with studs), means that if you didn't have the clear brick beneath, and you pushed down even a little bit on the vehicle, they would likely pop off.  The train doesn't have this problem, because it is able to use the roller-skates for wheels.
    tomahawker
  • RakulRakul USAMember Posts: 179
    hkcrazy88 said:
    Very excited for these! I'm hoping my mom's TRU will let her buy them individually, but I don't think they did last year. Does anyone remember how much you had to purchase to get one last year? Was it $75?
    I saw #40141 the Hotel on the shelves at TRU in Central, Virginia yesterday.  Looks like they are selling for $19.99 based on the shelf ticket.
    ARo2891
    Rakul said:
    hkcrazy88 said:
    I saw #40141 the Hotel on the shelves at TRU in Central, Virginia yesterday.  Looks like they are selling for $19.99 based on the shelf ticket.
    I think TRU will only sell them after the promo is ended, so if they sell out at that store then they will not be for sale.. Then again TRUs commonly put stuff for sale even though it is a promo item.
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    Rakul said:
    hkcrazy88 said:
    I think TRU will only sell them after the promo is ended, so if they sell out at that store then they will not be for sale.. Then again TRUs commonly put stuff for sale even though it is a promo item.
    They could be purchased solo last year; I'd be surprised if it changes. 
    77ncaachamps
    The policy depends on the store.  They're supposed to be held to be sold in conjunction with the promotion.  

Most of the managers and directors really don't care and just want to move the product.  Nobody gets raises or bonuses for lower sales number when people are willing to pay full retail price for a product.

(Unless it was Episode 7 merchandise - and in that case it could get you fired!)
    I'd rather buy each individually but I highly doubt that my local store will let me. They rarely get a lot of the promo item, and they're really stingy about them being for the promotion.
  • NeilJamNeilJam USAMember Posts: 271
    SumoLego said:
    The policy depends on the store.  They're supposed to be held to be sold in conjunction with the promotion.  

Most of the managers and directors really don't care and just want to move the product.  Nobody gets raises or bonuses for lower sales number when people are willing to pay full retail price for a product.

(Unless it was Episode 7 merchandise - and in that case it could get you fired!)

Selling those sets before the promotion ends can actually lower their sales numbers. If the store doesn't have them for the promotion there is no longer an incentive for customers to buy the required purchase amount which would be more than the set's value alone. Stores should hold them back for the promotion, but will gladly sell any leftover sets after it ends.

• blarghiflarghblarghiflargh Member Posts: 99
    Found a bunch of these on the shelf at my local TRU today.  Had a shelf tag saying they were $19.99.  Didn't see the others, didn't try buying one.

SumoLego said:

If they were supposed to be held, then the cash registers wouldn't allow them to be sold like many other promos. But they aren't supposed to be held - they can be purchased individually and will ring up at $19.99. They cannot be purchased before the week of each set's promotion - the registers are programmed to block the sale. 
  • HangedSanchezHangedSanchez United KingdomMember Posts: 310
    I rather like these, and as someone commented earlier, they display nicely in small gaps...

Unfortunately, I'm in the UK. :( Is anyone able to source a set for me?
  • beabea Member Posts: 227
    Ma1234 said:
    Not around here. I went to 3 or 4 stores and asked the employees if I could purchase them separately. They refused in all cases, even after calling a manager.
  • ChubblesChubbles USAMember Posts: 459
    It's tough to get these on promo and not overpay because if you price match an item you are ineligible for the promo, i just avoid them
    77ncaachamps
    Chubbles said:
    It's tough to get these on promo and not overpay because if you price match an item you are ineligible for the promo, i just avoid them
    Somewhat sneaky way for TRU to get you to pay 'TRU LEGO RRP' instead of just 'LEGO RRP'.
    bea said:
    Ma1234 said:
    Not around here. I went to 3 or 4 stores and asked the employees if I could purchase them separately. They refused in all cases, even after calling a manager.
    Did you actually have them scanned at the register? That doesn't make sense, because the registers would ring them up. I get if an employee incorrectly refused to scan it, but they could be purchased individually, and still can be since stores seem to have a ton left (at least in LA still). 
  • beabea Member Posts: 227
    Ma1234 said:
    Did you actually have them scanned at the register? That doesn't make sense, because the registers would ring them up. I get if an employee incorrectly refused to scan it, but they could be purchased individually, and still can be since stores seem to have a ton left (at least in LA still). 
    They didn't have these out on the shelves. They kept them behind the customer service counter (or register). While I didn't ask them to scan one, they did insist it was only with purchase so I doubt that would have worked.

I also didn't see any on the shelves after the promo was over but I didn't make it a point to look for them at that point.
    Ma1234 said:
    SumoLego said:

If they were supposed to be held, then the cash registers wouldn't allow them to be sold like many other promos. But they aren't supposed to be held - they can be purchased individually and will ring up at $19.99. They cannot be purchased before the week of each set's promotion - the registers are programmed to block the sale. 
    Managers can over-ride them, or force the sale in the system.  TRU is not supposed to sell $0.03 sets as well, but they don't want the aggravation of angry customers if they forget or are too incompetent to pull those sets from the shelves.

I've been able to get the promotional and dated-release polybags at the 'wrong' time routinely.
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 776
    Bought the Hotel and Train Station today. Told cashier who is awesome that they weren't supposed to be out yet and she said I was right. She then told me the manager put them out! She had to over ride the ban on selling them. She did the same thing for Wall-e at the end of August for me.

A lot of times it depends on who you know, what type of relationship you have struck with the employee and who else is around.
    SumoLegokiki180703
    ^ Impossible!

(Oh, wait - that's exactly what happens!)
    kiki180703
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited September 2015
    The Train Station and Hotel showed up today on the Australian TRU site. $14.99 (which is only $10.53 USD) was able to buy them but had to pay $10 shipping. 

According to the promotion they are not for individual purchase but free with $100+ purchase.

last year all 4 of them went up online on the 30th September but only for about 2 hours. Last years got delivered so I'm hoping this years do as well.
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    These look great! Too bad they are only sold at TRU and in the US as well. Buying them is always a pain in the butt, and yes, they should be priced at 10.99US, not 19.99US.
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 1,001
    I will only buy these if I'm in a good mood, have $10 rewards, it's on a thursday, they are sitting on the shelf at the time, and there are no lines at checkout....then I'll buy :)
    Jennijuggles7