Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Star Wars summer sets 2012

Comments

• scratchdeskscratchdesk Member Posts: 155
    I was talking with an employee at WalMart today and she said they were going to have new Star Wars sets on the shelves the second week of January. Not sure if that means they have already received the sets (which I assume is the case) or if it's common knowledge (also possible).
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,329
    I'm surprised they would say that when the new Star Wars sets won't even be released my Lego until 1/30. The preorders start 1/1. Usually TRU gets new sets first.
  • BTHodgemanBTHodgeman Member Posts: 622
    @starfire2 - with this clearance sale, I assumed that Walmart has definitely been clearing their shelves for something.

No way they're going to leave the LEGO shelves as bare as they are well into January.

Plus, their fiscal year ends January 31, so they may be trying to drive some additional Q4 sales.

Brent
    My Walmarts are anything but bear. There is still plenty of Star Wars, Ninjago, City and POTC that are not clearanced.
  • bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
    @y2josh and @cavegod thanks for the answers guys I was indeed asking what pf stood for if power functions are included that would be amazing, the UCS imperial shuttle would have benefited from this in my opinion. The potensial price worries me though.
  • bor2112bor2112 Member Posts: 289
    Of those available for pre-order (US) and already out UK, which is your must have?
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    I've complained about the pricing on the TIE Fighter, but that is definitely the first set I'll be getting. I'll pick them all up eventually, but the most recent version of the TIE is pretty terrible by comparison, whereas the X-Wing and Y-Wing, while containing superior minifigs, don't appear to be massive improvements over their previous incarnations. And I'll pick up Droid Escape and a handful of the battle packs, though I still wish they'd make one that was strictly four stormtroopers. You can never have enough stormtroopers. That's beside the point, though.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    @y2josh - speaking of stormtroopers, it would be nice if they would just sell those by the dozen. :) Ditto with battle droids and most other figures... Hmm, how about a 12 pack of Magna Guards or Super Battle Droids? :)

I've got the last X-Wing, so I don't see much need to get the new one, but the TIE Fighter looks nice, I'll buy it when it is on sale. The last Y-Wing was terrible, or are you thinking of the one before that? The yellow one was just horrible, I'm ashamed to say that we own it. :)
  • StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    I liked the previous y-wing (from 2007), and I also like the Death Star Trooper from the new TIE. But knowing how expensive it'll be over here, it'll have to be heavily discounted for me to get it. Other themes have overtaken my Star Wars buzz.

@LegoFanTexas Stormtroopers by the dozen would be sweet! The Endor Battlepack isn't too bad though, you can build up both Storm and Scout Troopers at the same time.
  • sonsofscevasonsofsceva 1904 World's FairMember Posts: 542
    You can preorder the X-Wing for $60 and the TIE Fighter for $50 at Walmart.com.
    The sites say the orders should arrive around the end of January.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/LEGO-Star-Wars-X-Wing-Starfighter/17768073
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/LEGO-Star-Wars-TIE-Fighter/17768072
    I decided to pre-order the 3 planets and wait on all the others. My thought was that the planets are packaged externally and will see damage as they sit around waiting for a sale to pull the trigger. For all others, I can handle the possible box shelf wear from waiting out the price drop.
    For pre-orders, you receive a SW poster. As I ordered 3 items, my cart showed 3 posters. Will I actually receive 3?
    I'm going to wait until they come to the Lego store. I added it up, everything I want (SW) will be $93, that's not counting the $10.95 in shipping.
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    can you get a free poster in the UK?
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    What's the appeal to the planet sets exactly? Not knocking anyone who is into them, but I guess I just don't get it. Other than die hard collectors who have to have everything (and/or minifig collectors), what's the hook? it isn't playable, the figure doesn't fit in the vehicle, and to me it's a very underwhelming display piece.

Someone enlighten me?
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    @doughts they'll look great on the Christmas tree next year :)
    ^^Maybe I am in the minority, but I find them appealing. Maybe because it is
    something new. Maybe because I have been swayed by my almost 8YO who deems them awesome.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    @Savage_Steel is right, they'll be wonderful on the tree. :)
    @LegoFanTexas - I was comparing the new version to 7658, not 8037. I avoid supporting the prequel trilogy at all costs (though I have to admit The Clone Wars is an excellent show... still don't collect the models).

@dougts - The only appeal for me is POSSIBLY the non-yellow Lobot minifig... and even in that case, it would just be to have an official LEGO-produced Lobot as I did a Lobot head mod a few years ago so he'd match all the other pieces. This one looks to have the more recent two-tone eyes, though, so I may still pick it up.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,343
    There are a couple more new sets that Huw added, apparently from a reliable source :)http://www.brickset.com/browse/themes/?theme=Star Wars&year=2012a
    9497 and 9500 are based on the new SW:TOR MMORPG, for those (like me) who have that hobby as well...
  • sonsofscevasonsofsceva 1904 World's FairMember Posts: 542
    It appears that Darth Maul is back in the cartoons...which might explain why his head is on all of the boxes. I was wondering why they would pick an "old" character for this year's logo. Now I know.
  • LukeSkywalkerLukeSkywalker IrelandMember Posts: 231
    edited February 2012
    Spotted images taken at te German Toyfair including the 9499 Gungan ship and Queen Amidala (!!) and the 9496 Desert Skiff.

• greekmickgreekmick UKMember Posts: 710
    I love the Desert Skiff. Thats going to be a best seller with Boba Fett minifig included.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,530
    The Amidala fig looks great, but odd that they've shoehorned the character into a set that she doesn't really feature in. Guessing maybe £30 for the sub and £25 for the skiff?
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    £25 for the skiff with Boba Fett - that would fly off the shelves.
  • xowainxxowainx United KingdomMember Posts: 112
    The sub will be way more than £30.. I'd guess £45-50. £25 seems about right for the Skiff, although I wouldn't be surprised for £30 given the rrp of the Geonosian Starfighter.
  • greekmickgreekmick UKMember Posts: 710
    Anyone know when these are due for release?
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    Desert Skiff? Hmmmm, looks like the Sail Barge might not be far behind . . .
  • vader34mtvader34mt Member Posts: 88
    ^gmpirate....i hope you're right! i've been coveting the sail barge since i came out of my dark ages a few years ago...haven't been willing to shell out the big bucks for it on the secondary market
    Skiff is still top of my list and jabba's palace. Add a rancor playset and the sail barge next year and will be one happy little SW and Lego fan!
    I think they are due for release in late July early August.
    With Jedi's 30th anniversary next year, I'm hoping we see a slew of awesome sets from that film, similar to how there seemed to be a greater focus on Empire in 2010. I'm pulling for the rancor pit, a remake of Jabba's barge, a nice Ewok village, perhaps a redesigned Imperial Shuttle, an actual Mon Calamari cruiser and, though I know it exists on the Death Star model, I'd like to see a slightly larger model of Emperor Palpatine's throne room. And if they wanted to include three 'ghost' figures with that Ewok village... all the better.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    ^ Yes, any/all of those would suit me!
    Definitely looking forward to the Skiff and Gungan Sub is a must for Amidala.
  • conkeastadorsconkeastadors ukMember Posts: 15
    i like the Queen Amidala figure, but i dont like the Gungan Sub so i think i'll have to give it a miss as for the skiff its a must have anything jedi!
  • CaptAPJTCaptAPJT Member Posts: 223
    I think im going to focus on the sets from the movies, mostly the capital ships and then the other sets as my budget allows. Loving the sound of a UCS b-wing as I only have the original Lego one from 2000? Which frankly is a bit rubbish.
    ^another wallet emptying set for me is the ucs b-wing, along with the jabba sets this year.
  • LukeSkywalkerLukeSkywalker IrelandMember Posts: 231
    This is the sole reason why I will own a Gungan sub:
  • Firox5000Firox5000 Member Posts: 61
    Checking out the pictures from the NY TF, The jabba's palace looks amazing with the awesome figures and play features. I'm also loving the desert skiff (hope it's £24.99 or less). The gungan sub is also looking good and although amidalla never wore that in the scene, her design is spectacular.

Sasse tins star fighter is interesting as It is a varied design of a star fighter and I also like that fury class intercepter. The republic star fighter looks ok too and the Mande Priam ship is quite intriguing too (I bet it will cost £79.99).

The Malevolance ship looks fascinating but for the purpose of it not having any crowd bringing figure (that's new), Im not to interested.
    The gungan sub is also looking good and although amidalla never wore that in the scene, her design is spectacular.
    She didn't weary ANYTHING in the scene (ok, calm down - didn't mean it like that) - since Amidala never appeared in any scene alongside the sub.

They certainly are basically abandoning any pretense sometimes about which figures to include in which sets. It's almost like they are going "ok, we have this Royal Amidala figure everyone will want - which set is going to need help selling, we'll just stick it in there."
    ^ I agree! They totally could have made a small mock up of Theed Palace instead of throwing her in this set. Plus has anyone seen the Padme' figure in the new Melevolance (sp?) What is with her face? It just looks odd.
    The Malevolence is a Clone Wars set, so that Padme has the 'cartoony' Clone Wars head.
  • llanowarsoldierllanowarsoldier Ohio USAMember Posts: 357
    The Desert Skiff will probably be $40US if its in the 200 piece range.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,704
    edited February 2012
    LEGO have always played pretty fast and loose with the 'truth' so far as inclusion of minifigs in Star Wars sets is concerned, although it's as often by way of omitting key minifigs from sets as it is by adding extras. I therefore don't see what all the fuss is about regarding Amidala in the Gungan sub set - just be glad that the sub and the minifigure appeared in the same movie.....! When they remake the Death Star and stick an Amidala figure in it, THEN you'll have reason to complain !
    ^^The skiff is $24.99. They announced the prices at Toy Fair. Jabba's Palace... on the other hand...
    The prices for the new sets are on FBTB.net . Jabba's Palace is supposed to be $119.99
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    I wonder what that translates to in the UK. let me guess, £119.99. lol
    ^^^ My complaint is more to the inclusion of extra minifigs in general as opposed to which extra ones show up where.

As someone who doesn't care at all about collecting minifigures, I'd rather sets have a more appropriate number (you know, like the number that can actually fit inside the vehicle and are appropriate to be there), with a corresponding lower price point. For example, I just picked up the TIE fighter. Nice ship, dump the two imperials and just give me the Pilot and Droid and save me $10. thanks!
  • llanowarsoldierllanowarsoldier Ohio USAMember Posts: 357
    The prices for the new sets are on FBTB.net . Jabba's Palace is supposed to be $119.99
    $119.99 for Jabba's Palace? Are you friggin' kidding me? That set is waaaay overpriced for 717 pieces, that's 16.7cents a piece. I know SW sets are more expensive but that's just insane for that little amount of pieces. As much as I like that set, it is a definite pass at that price. The $119.99 sets are usually the 1000+ piece sets.

• NicksBricksNicksBricks United StatesMember Posts: 270
    Darth Malgus looks great.