Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Brickset.com site issues

Comments

• VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,310
    edited March 2015
    Does the collection summary count differently for the 'not owned' & 'wanted' columns, because I just noticed that my Marvel 'not owned' count is 7 & 'wanted' is 6. the difference in the lists, is the listing of '5004552-1: Super Heroes Avengers Collection' in my list for 'not owned.'

Could the counts be goofed because its counting gear/collections & ignoring specials/exclusives?
    xiahna
    Also checked SW 'not owned' CS says my count is 350, looking at the list for 'not owned,' I'm getting 426 matches.

Hope this all helps.
    xiahna
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    Not an issue, but just a thought i had while searching the main site...

I found it somewhat irksome recently when using the drop down search menus, that the site immediately races off to drag all the results before i'm done narrowing the search... results which i have to wait for and possibly put a drag on the site... and of course, each subsequent menu clicked also results in a renewed results page every time too.

If it was possible, i'd like a HOLD! button which i could first select to pause the search results until i'm ready for them, (achieved by then deselecting hold, so the search starts), and avoid unnecessary results pages being displayed. 

(Also, several times i've just wanted to search all super heroes sets, but they're pre-split into DC and Marvel from the get go - if these can't be listed as subthemes of an all-encompassing super heroes umbrella, then perhaps an additional 'superheroes' option to snap grab them all could be added).
    andhe
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,330
    I think the current run of discounts has burnt out the bargain watch 
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,690
    I tweaked the code earlier, it's OK now :)
    Shib
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Got a warning on my phone just now from the Brickset homepage, didn't think about reading it properly just cancelled, something to do with William hill trying to download something on my phone, malicious, may harm my device etc. 
  • ryan498ryan498 Member Posts: 37
    edited August 2015
    Got a warning on my phone just now from the Brickset homepage, didn't think about reading it properly just cancelled, something to do with William hill trying to download something on my phone, malicious, may harm my device etc. 

I've received the same just now. Here is a screenshot: https://goo.gl/photos/cb252XvcXKTSQDgMA

Running Chrome on Android 5.1.1 (Nexus 6)
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Not issues per se, but tweaks that would be appreciated:

1) Have the forum search bar search through sets like the normal site does.  This was so useful in the old site.

2) When you search on an item and click return, if there's only one result, show that one result's detail page (right now it shows the "search result" page with the one item on it, which then requires another click).  Example, I type in 20122 and hit return, it should go immediately to the Grand Emporium detail page.

3) Have the forum comment boxes use the "ctrl" arrow navigation, i.e. hold ctrl and hit right or left, it should skip words.  Right now it goes to the beginning or end of a line.
    edited August 2015
    ^^ Thank you. I will report that to the ad. network.

Make sure you're logged in then you won't be troubled by ads.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,939

3) Have the forum comment boxes use the "ctrl" arrow navigation, i.e. hold ctrl and hit right or left, it should skip words.  Right now it goes to the beginning or end of a line.
    I think this came up before and we decided it was to do with which OS/browser you're using. Which is not to say it couldn't/shouldn't be fixed, of course, but trying another browser could be a workaround.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Yep I got another case of the Brickset homepage trying to auto download the William hill apk just now. Kind of shocking that a website about toys would auto-download a gambling app. Know its not brickset itself but some more tweaking of the ad system might be needed.
    I've reported it and asked William Hill to be removed from the list of ads.
  • DuaneHessDuaneHess Colorado, USAMember Posts: 4
    I haven't been able to read the news articles for a couple of weeks now. I can see the comments section, but no article is displayed. Was there a code tweak recently?
    No--nothing like that has been changed. Can you send me a screenshot?
    Huw said:
    No--nothing like that has been changed. Can you send me a screenshot?
    Chrome Version 44.0.2403.130 m

I did switch to IE and the articles displayed appropriately, so I'm wondering if something got reset in Chrome...? Looks like it is possibly on my end.
    @DuaneHess, you might want to look at settings & add-ons, Chrome is my usual browser & I haven't as yet encountered this issue.
    DuaneHess said:
    I did switch to IE and the articles displayed appropriately, so I'm wondering if something got reset in Chrome...? Looks like it is possibly on my end.
    It was indeed on my end. I cleared all of the browsing data and cache and it seems to have done the trick. I should have tried that to begin with...
    VorpalRyu
    Glad you got it sorted...
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 617
    What is this supposed to mean?

^Yeah, I saw that this morning! Gone by this evening, though. Unless it's a mobile/desktop thing? I was on my tablet this morning and laptop in the evening...
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,856
    edited September 2015
    Plural seems to be more than one new post, although seems to be sorted now.
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    I can't get the number of new comments on threads to update unless I close Google and come back in. I am on an iPhone with op system 8.4. So I'll read all the new comments then go back to the list but it will still say there are unread comments in the thread I just read. 
    ^Similar issue on Android 5 with Google Chrome. I don't have to close Chrome entirely, just close or refresh the tab. Going 'back' from a discussion to the main forum homepage doesn't update the number of new comments. Also started noticing it yesterday or so.
    I have to refresh too, whether on android, windows or linux.

The plurals are back too ...
  • LegopantsLegopants GermanyMember Posts: 2,033
    ^ Yep, also having the refresh problem on all platforms. 
    Some pages on the forum aren't showing page numbers to allow access to other pages, one I know has been consistent over the last 24 hours for this is viewing likes on your forum profile, only seems to be affecting Chrome.
    xiahna
    edited September 2015
    It seems to be something affecting some profiles in IE, Firefox & Chrome, I can't remember who else I noticed this with, but I know when I click to view likes I have gotten, I don't have a 'next' button on my pages. I did notice the other night my likes seemed to be frozen at 373 likes, but when I clicked through, the number there was updating to the current number of likes received on the pages displaying the likes.
    xiahna
    Just found that @Pitfall69 @Yodalicious @Goldchains are all affected too... All of us posted to the secret thread the other day, could be related.
    xiahna
    I'm not affected, and it was *my* secret thread :-)
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,717
    edited September 2015
    The 'plural' thing was happening to me yesterday, but not all the time. It seems to be fine today. I use Firefox.
    @CCC that would right, the one responsible gets off scot-free... :)
    xiahna
    @Huw - can anything be done to sort out this "refresh" problem?
    Which one, the 'plural' issue? I've not seen that for some while now.

@Huw - the auto refresh problem. Previously after viewing a thread and returning to the Forum category page, the thread you have just read was greyed out to indicate that you've read all posts in it and the new post counter was reset. Not any more - now you have to refresh manually to trigger the greying out and reset :-(  This is the case for both the browser site (IE) and mobile site.

The plural issue seems to have gone now.

Right, that's the same for me. You're right, it didn't used to work like that.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,874
    New issue I recently encountered in the database: when I search by part, start typing a part number into the search bar, and select a choice from the drop-down menu, it takes me here: http://brickset.com/error?badinput

This is not an issue when searching sets, only when searching parts. It happens whether I'm selecting a Design ID or Element ID from the drop-down menu, and whether or not the part's name uses any special characters.
    Thanks, I'll get that sorted ASAP.
    Just a quick question, are the emoticons/emojis/whatever they're called these days, meant to be no longer available on the forum?
    xiahna
    VorpalRyu said:
    Just a quick question, are the emoticons/emojis/whatever they're called these days, meant to be no longer available on the forum?
    Can confirm they are no longer there on Chrome for Windows or Android. looking through some recent threads, it looks like previously existing emoji-type emoticons have been retro-actively converted into normal punctuation-based emoticons. I don't think I'll miss them, though, tbh...
    Lego_Star
    Good!
    Lego_StarBumblepants
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,963
    FYI, got this warning at the top of the Brickset newsletter in Gmail this morning. Presumably a false positive!

• ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
    I got the same message. I told my Gmail to ignore it.
    Interesting, any idea what might trigger it? The [email protected] address is used only for the newsletter. Do other mailchimp mailings result in the same?
    @Huw - it's probably worth mentioning it to mailchimp i suspect it's probably the email adress it being sent to having a stricter spam filter than others (mine didn't flag it) and is probably just picking up on the fact that it's a mass email from a company that they don't recognise.

they probably won't be very helpful but with companies like mailchimp I've found if you dont voice these issues to them when they arise they pay less attention when you complain about bigger issues.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,458
    I was looking to order from Target.com today and noticed the affiliate links seem to be gone from the main page. Is that an error or were they taken away permanently?
    It looks as if the data feed import failed last night probably due to a transient problem.  It'll hopefully run again successfully tonight, if not, I'll investigate.
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,442
    Huw,

A problem with the Knight Bus inventory: two different dark purple 1x4s are listed (http://brickset.com/sets/4866-1/The-Knight-Bus) but the PDF instructions list only one type (http://cache.lego.com/bigdownloads/buildinginstructions/4649395.pdf).

Delete the one on the left, keep the one on the right on the Brickset Inventory page.
    @77ncaachamps - Brickiest doesn't actually put any inventory data together it's always either taken from LEGO's servers or rebrickable...there was an issue lately with LEGO having the same parts listed twice so is probably connected to that,.
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343

Delete the one on the left, keep the one on the right on the Brickset Inventory page.
    That's not necessarily correct.

The parts in TLG's inventories change - and for at least two very different reasons. Firstly, the parts used in a particular set might change. Parts are often altered slightly. You might be able to spot the differences; you might not. What is actually in a particular set can therefore vary - there's no "right" answer. Nor, for that matter, is there any guarantee that the part shown in the inventory in the instruction in the box accurately reflects the parts in that box.

The second reason is that the parts in TLG's online inventories are usually the current version of that part - whether or not it actually ever appeared in the set in the first place. In this case, it might be right to ignore the latter parts - but it might not.

If you look at "Replacement parts" on lego.com for a set that's a few years old, like 4866, and compare it with your copy of the instructions, you'll find quite a few differences.

As for the PDFs, and the printed manuals, they change too.

All the online inventories have their quirks. If you look at them too closely, you're opening yourself to a whole world of confusion.