Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,110
    wow, I think that last post of mine is actually on-thread-topic !  
    SumoLegoVorpalRyuPitfall69snowhitie
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,990
    edited September 2015
    dougts said:

(Palace Cinema) is the last of what I will call the "old style" modulars, whose focus was more on the exterior and display value, and slightly less on play features and intricate interior detailing.  Yet, unlike the other "old style" modulars - and all the new ones as well -  it only has 2 floors and not 3.
    Fire Brigade came out before Palace Cinema, has only two floors, and its bottom floor hardly has any furnishings at all (being a garage). And I believe it was one of the top-selling modular buildings.

Palace Cinema is admittedly a different case, though, since Fire Brigade was furnished with as much detail or more than its predecessors — it only really feels sparsely furnished in comparison to some of the more recent buildings. I don't know if I'd call Palace Cinema's furnishings that much sparser than previous buildings', but they're certainly more repetitive (identical rows of seats and two near-identical countertops). Plus it doesn't have any interior walls helping to break up its layout like the Town Hall did, which adds to the "big empty room" feeling.
  • COOLEGOCOOLEGO B'ham/SolihullMember Posts: 209
    ^ Palace Cinema going EOL next is the long(ish) shot which actually makes a lot of sense. Agree with @dougts comments, a lot less going for it compared to other modulars, and if the average customer I looking to buy 1/maybe 2 modulars, I don't think PC would make the cut on looks, design and 'playability'.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,110
    Aanchir said:
    dougts said:

(Palace Cinema) is the last of what I will call the "old style" modulars, whose focus was more on the exterior and display value, and slightly less on play features and intricate interior detailing.  Yet, unlike the other "old style" modulars - and all the new ones as well -  it only has 2 floors and not 3.
    Fire Brigade came out before Palace Cinema, has only two floors, and its bottom floor hardly has any furnishings at all (being a garage). And I believe it was one of the top-selling modular buildings.
    Good points about FB. I'd argue that while the sparseness of the lower floors of each is pretty comparable, the upper floor of Fire Brigade had a pretty well-stocked interior all in all - certainly much more than PC has.  FB also has a lot more intricacy in it's exterior detailing on the facade, and generally more playability to it as well.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 15,144
    I think the movie theatre is about as detailed as you can reasonably get in the small space.  The lobby is also fairly detailed as well.
  • mr.pigglesmr.piggles Snow FortMember Posts: 325
    edited September 2015
    But its like $600!? Maybe I should just go with a Detective's Office.

Aside from the question which you probably already knew the answer to (no, there are no THs available for what you're willing to spend, or should spend if you're a youth) if you want it, just build it yourself off Bricklink. Make some substitutions to make it cheaper or to improve upon it. (Example: I wanted Market Street, but it's expensive and I wanted it to be purple. Bricklink. Problem solved.) Or save your money, because who cares, and get what's available, following the advice that was given to you: get the Pet Shop.
    kiki180703
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,937
    I feel like we're in a spy movie talking in code
    SumoLegokiki180703VorpalRyuPitfall69
    I'll have a vodka martini... shaken, not stirred.
    kiki180703VorpalRyuPitfall69
  • thenosthenos Twin Cities, MNMember Posts: 444
    edited September 2015
    I said,  "The Palace Cinema walks before the Pet Shop." 

She replied,  with a wink,  "Just like the Town Hall." 

"Thank Goodness," I replied, "I thought you'd be Fire Brigaded."

"Me?" she said.  "It almost happened in the Grand Emporium,  but I escaped to the Parisian Restaurant." 

I dared not bring up the Green Grocer where we met the first time,  or the Cafe Corner where we had breakfast the next day.  
    kiki180703VorpalRyushikadiBumblepantsPitfall69Legoboykhmellymelricecake
  • juggles7juggles7 United StatesMember Posts: 451
    Friends Dolphin Cruiser is hard to find in stores (in the southeast US), it's in and out of stock at Amazon, Walmart, and Target, and retailers, when they have it, are asking full retail of $69.99. These could be signs that its end is near. There's no longer room for it on retailers' shelves, crowded with Jungle sets, Pop Star sets, a private Jet, a Skating set, an Air Balloon, another Beauty Shop, a Vet clinic, a Limo. (That Shopping Mall is pretty lame, in my humble opinion). There's a Supermarket. It's getting a little ridiculous, I think.

A friend asked me to pick up an Emma's House locally, that he needed quickly, and I said sure, no problem. Ended up having a hell of a time finding one. Come on! It's a 2015 set and shouldn't be that hard to find.

Someone wrote here recently (could have been another thread) that Lego was offering too many themes. I don't know... but there are definitely too many sets in the Friends theme. That line is becoming the new City.  City for Girls, you could say.

I predict Dolphin Cruiser will be gone before Christmas, and Sunshine Ranch could go with it. It will be like Heartlake Vet and Heartlake Stables all over again, with none available for Christmas. Grandparents who told their sweety pies they'd have to wait for Christmas for a Cruiser will be forced to purchase on the secondary market, and they'll be flabbergasted, confused, and bumfuzzled at the $100 price sticker.
    SumoLego
  • TheUltimateTFOLTheUltimateTFOL Texas, USAMember Posts: 152
    Hasn't it been out too long to do that?
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,003
    Yes. It has been out a long time and around $50 on sale for extended periods of time. I would say it might appreciate at a reasonable pace but not like the butterfly beauty salon. 
  • CurvedRoadPlateCurvedRoadPlate Member Posts: 257
    It's possible. If Pet Shop is selling better than Palace Cinema, Palace Cinema could retire first. I find it curious that a new box design has been spotted for Pet Shop. That could indicate another year of stock. 
    What's the shortest amount of time a modular has been available? 
    bgl_84
    @TheUltimateTFOL , the Cruiser's only been with us about 2 years, since August, 2013. It could rise quickly, especially if it goes out on circulation before the holidays, as I expect it will.

@CurvedRoadPlate , Hmmm.... Market Street from 2007 was out for less than 2 years. Cafe Corner about 2 years.  According to my information.

• tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,986
    I guess I am not sure how that is any different than any other Lego theme where sets are being phases out. If anything, I am surprised that the cruiser is still available, and I agree, I do not see this staying around For Christmas. It has been out long enough, so most people that want it I would think would have it. With Lego Friends, yes, it can be hard sometimes to find sets the year it comes out. I am surprised the jungle sets are around still. That was last summer, and they have already replaced with the new summer sets. 

Yes, I thought it was apparent the Friends is basically City for girls, but with far more variation.
    edited September 2015
    The Dolphin Cruiser is a fantastic set, but they've moved the theme toward the Pop Star thing, so I would expect it to EOL soon.

I'm not sure if pre-dates the Friends animals sets, but it certainly pre-dates the jungle rescue theme.  

Until the Pop Star (Yacht) Cruiser appears in 2016...

(My auto-correct is hell bent on changing 'Pop Star' to 'postal'.  Boy, would I love a modular licensed US post office or FedEx store.  Think of all of the printed tiles!)
    VorpalRyu
    Over/under on a Friends police station?  2017?
    pharmjodmr.pigglesbrownbricks720prevereBumblepantsexciter1kiki180703
    I dunno, Friends don't let Friends commit crimes.
    doodierVorpalRyuRainstorm26RailsAanchirjuggles7kiki180703
    Maybe they'll incorporate that into the female superhero line.

Heartlake needs some cops!  And a fire station and an airport.
    VorpalRyu
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,003
    They already have an airport. :)
    dragonhawkSumoLego
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    I think sets like the Dolphin Cruiser will be a victim of the "too many options" issue.

Dad
    SumoLego said:
    I'm not sure if pre-dates the Friends animals sets, but it certainly pre-dates the jungle rescue theme.  

I think series 1-3 of the Animals sets came out before the Cruiser. Do we know there will be a Pop Star Cruiser? Or are you just speculating?
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,258
    Sea Cow is back. Just saying.
    edited September 2015
    ^Wow! Not even back ordered.

Death star back to Sold Out.  Shrug.  

I wish we could get some consistency on retirements instead of this randomness.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,648
    edited September 2015
    It's possible. If Pet Shop is selling better than Palace Cinema, Palace Cinema could retire first. I find it curious that a new box design has been spotted for Pet Shop. That could indicate another year of stock. 
    What's the shortest amount of time a modular has been available? 
    It would be interesting to see if anyone orders a PC soon and if the box is the same, or different. I still think LEGO is more likely standardizing their set boxes, at least when it comes to length and width (finally).

I would say, like others have said in the past, that the order of EOL (from top to bottom) is still likely:
    Pet Shop
    Palace Cinema
    Parisian restaurant
    Detective Office

As for the rumor that PS is sticking around another year as a 'LEGO only Exclusive', well it would stand to reason that will occur with the PC as well next year. (to be honest they are so hard to find available at a retail online store -non-LEGO site- they may as well already be 'exclusive' to LEGO.)
    Now all of that said, and because no one really knows what LEGO is thinking lately, I would say that if you want one, get it. I would still say that PS is likely to go first, or get both the PS and PC before the end of the year.

^Wow! Not even back ordered.

Death star back to Sold Out.  Shrug.  

I wish we could get some consistency on retirements instead of this randomness.

Does not surprise me, but their note in the listing showing that they are making more, check back soon is still there. DS may be doing this because they are finding enough parts to finish off any surplus related to that set.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    The Series 14 CMFs are currently showing as "Sold Out" at [email protected] I figured they would be popular, but they were basically gone shortly after they arrived. Too many zombies for my taste; they should have diversified a bit more.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,434
    ^they will be back. Just can't keep up with demand.
    madforLEGOlego007juggles7kiki180703FollowsClosely
    edited September 2015
    ^they will be back. Just can't keep up with demand.
    Agreed, pretty sure that series 12 & 13 'sold out' early on [email protected] only to come back later.
    Considering everyone that is pre-ordering boxes through eBay wholesalers do not get theirs for another 30 days, give or take, I would presume that LEGO will also have more as the 'second run' (or maybe third) will be out.
    Right now I think it is those that 'must' have a set, those who had CMF withdrawal while waiting through series 2 of the Simpsons, or those worried they may miss them, buying up packs. Combine that with those who are buying the little out there trying to corner the market initially to sell on eBay, or those who bought out a Target or Walmart so they could take the box home, cherry pick all of the figures they want (or all of the rares) and return the rest to the store and you have a frenzy. Once all of the initial wave of buyers dissipates I think you will find these packs fairly easily.
    SumoLego
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,146
    I've been captivated by the Triple E's immediate rise right after retirement and its quick leveling out so to speak - I still think this set has potential to rise even further.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,146
    Oh and regarding the talk above about the PC.  I fully think this could be another TH type set that just disappears.  Its funny, instead of talking about how a set could retire quickly right from underneath the nose of all of us we should just say, "Oh that set could pull a TH!".

Anyway, great set, but not the finest.  To those collectors and completionists out there they will want this and it being a modular surely adds to the aftermarket value.  Period.
    Oh and regarding the talk above about the PC.  I fully think this could be another TH type set that just disappears.  Its funny, instead of talking about how a set could retire quickly right from underneath the nose of all of us we should just say, "Oh that set could pull a TH!".

Anyway, great set, but not the finest.  To those collectors and completionists out there they will want this and it being a modular surely adds to the aftermarket value.  Period.
    I think the TH argument would be relevant if it was a typical mod, but I opine that it is not. It was larger in scale and price than a 'standard' mod, and may have always only had a 2 year run in it.
    edited September 2015
    I really think the PC is a stellar Modular with a lot going for it.

It...
    • Is a corner
    • Has incredible details
    • Is only 2 floors, but as a result (not unlike the FB), invokes a sense of spaciousness
    • Is of an architectural style that is wild and cool, and likely never to be repeated again in the line
    • Has a vehicle
    • Has freestanding external accessories
    • Came with a Lego movie poster for a short while, that everyone now wishes they had taken advantage of :)
    madforLEGOVorpalRyuYodaliciousSumoLegokiki180703
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    ^ I agree and love PC personally, but I wonder if it's different style does make it a TH candidate. Looks-wise it doesn't completely fit in with the other modulars. At least in my opinion. It's great and I'll display it proudly in my city, but it does stand out from a looks standpoint. The casual, non-collector may have passed over it if they thought it didn't fit in. Similar to TH and it's size difference.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,434
    One thing I really like about PC is it was one of the first advanced model type sets to get a really special looking box design with the night sky in the background.
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633
    edited September 2015
    Plus private jet, grand hotel, a mall, and even a pool.  Without crime and fire (otherwise they'd have police and fire stations by now), I am not sure why those figs still choose to live in LEGO City instead of Heartlake.. :) 
    VorpalRyukiki180703
    Since Disney now owns the Star Wars franchise, they apparently have asked Amazon not to allow third-party marketplace sellers to offer these products through Amazon.

In other words, if you're accustomed to reselling Star Wars action figures, toys, and Lego sets at Amazon, that party is over. The ads for the new Star Wars merchandise have a link for third-party sellers to sell their item, but if you follow the link, it dead-ends into a notification that it's a restricted item which you cannot sell.

The same thing happened last year with most of the Disney Frozen merchandise. So if you're thinking about buying a bunch of Force Awakens Lego sets, and sending them to Amazon FBA, you'd better think again. 

I was just speculating - and yes, you are correct they already have an airport.  It's next to the hotel...

Rainstorm26 said:
    juggles7 said:
    SumoLego said:

I think series 1-3 of the Animals sets came out before the Cruiser. Do we know there will be a Pop Star Cruiser? Or are you just speculating?

By the way, I'll be robbing the Heartlake City bank sometime over the weekend.  And then setting it on fire.

That should cover all of my bases.
    juggles7VorpalRyukiki180703prevereRainstorm26
    Your terrible plot will be foiled by the enchanting song of a popstar, a slippery puddle from the juice bar, and a ton of the vet's hedgehogs. They don't need police in Heartlake City when they have friendship, juice, and hedgehogs. 

(I can't decide if I would've loved there to be a Friends-themed Fire Station when I was a little girl, since I was that little girl who always wanted to be a firefighter. I think I was pretty satisfied with the City ones available... probably wouldn't have felt a need for specialization.)
    SumoLegoVorpalRyukiki180703prevere
    Looks like retailers are going to clearance the SW Rebels sets right away, now that the Force Awakens sets are here. Let's hope for some really good deals on Ezra's Speeder, the Ghost, and the Phantom.

^ I hadn't considered the juice.

I just assume I would have to fend off a jungle helicopter, a few sports cars and outrun a tour bus.

If it weren't for those meddling kids, my ingenious plan would have worked!  

mr.pigglesVorpalRyukiki180703

As for the rumor that PS is sticking around another year as a 'LEGO only Exclusive', well it would stand to reason that will occur with the PC as well next year. (to be honest they are so hard to find available at a retail online store -non-LEGO site- they may as well already be 'exclusive' to LEGO.)

Actually, after a long dry spell, TB, PS, and PC have all been popping up at Amazon, Walmart and Target's online sites. The stock don't last long, I agree.

I don't think either PS or PC will be gone by the end of the year, especially with the PS just getting a box redesign. 

@madforLEGO , do you have an opinion as to how much longer the Volkswagen Camper Van will be out?  It's been with us for 4 years.
    VorpalRyu
    PC at Amazon right now! Just 17 left.  Hurry!
  • scotty12scotty12 United States, IowaMember Posts: 809
    SumoLego said:
    By the way, I'll be robbing the Heartlake City bank sometime over the weekend.  And then setting it on fire.

That should cover all of my bases.

Unless the Heartlake News team and investigative journalist Emma foil your plot....or follow the Brickset forum postings.
    VorpalRyu
  • KavsterKavster London, UKMember Posts: 75
    I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in here on the modulars…
    I recently started a thread about the PS, and long story short I ended up buying it.

So, I went to my local Lego shop and walked up the modular section.
    I can see the PS set up in a display case, but an empty void below where the boxes should be
    (I could also see the PC set up in a display case, but i'll come back to that later).
    I ask the staff if they have any PS in the stock room, to which they replied (words to the effect of) "We're sold out, BUT we are getting a whole new batch in early October. Or you can buy it now online for delivery".
    I left the shop and continued shopping. I wanted it that day as I had a free day to build it. So, I went to my local Symths, where they had FIVE brand new shinning boxes in stock. They said they'd only recently got them in. Retail price £119.99. Got one.

I can only implore that if PS is going EOL, it won't be soon. They've just started sending out new batches it would seem. Just my opinion.

Now, about that PC. This was my first modular build, so when I was in the Lego store I made a comment to the staff member about it being sold out. "That's still selling well then?!" and the reply was (words to the effect of) "Oh. We haven't had any for a while. Not sure exactly when we're getting more to be honest".

Make of that what you will. 

Also, the PS box I got, still looks like the old design. Here's a picture comparing it to my PR box.

Store employee information is usually misinformation or anecdotal speculation, which in my opinion, is (more often times than not) worse than no information at all.
    SumoLegomadforLEGObobabricks
    Store employee information is usually misinformation or anecdotal speculation, which in my opinion, is (more often times than not) worse than no information at all.
    This is a fair point. I can see the logic in it. If they had said that, say for example, "we're not getting any more PC as it's going EOL" - I'd agree with you.

But, when all they've done is tell me information about stock levels, can that not be trusted? 
    The only stock levels that they employees definitively know are what are in their stock room and not on the floor.

They don't know what sets are coming in October.  The manager may have some idea of what is coming in the next shipment that week, but certainly not months in advance.  (Other than new releases with specific release dates.)
    SumoLego said:
    The only stock levels that they employees definitively know are what are in their stock room and not on the floor.

They don't know what sets are coming in October.  The manager may have some idea of what is coming in the next shipment that week, but certainly not months in advance.  (Other than new releases with specific release dates.)
    Ahh I see. I've never really worked in retail so don't know how it works!

I guess it really is just a case of having to wait and see! 
    SumoLego
  • cooldude00cooldude00 ukMember Posts: 44
    it sounds like PS is going to have a longer shelf life than most ppl think if Lego is still churning them out... could be one of their best sellers!