Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Do Lego think before they decide which polybags ends up as freebies with expensive sets?

A friend of mine has got into the habit of buying large Technic sets direct from Lego. They cost him around £150. He is in his late 40s without children.
Anyway, Lego give him a freebie with his order. The last 2 have been Friends polybags. This he finds amusing as he has no desire to build Friends sets. I get them to sell on, so I don't mind. But we both wonder what is the purpose?
If Lego had thought this through, they would have included a polybag suited for adults, like Creator or a little Mini etc. They have quite a few to choose from. Maybe something that would introduce the buyer to other themes/sets.
Maybe it is total random where the polybags ends up, but as Lego has the buying history they could direct where the polybags go. (Imagine a kid buying an expensive Ninjago set and finding shock horror a Chima polybag...)

Comments

• YodaliciousYodalicious Member Posts: 1,366

Isn't it based on whatever is scheduled to be the giveaway at a certain price point at a certain time? I've bought plenty and always received the polybag that was on the LEGO schedule at that point whether it be Friends or Superheroes or Creator or whatever. If he's getting polybags thrown in that aren't that time period's giveaway then he's getting lucky. Either that or I'm incredibly unlucky as I've never received anything above and beyond exactly what was scheduled to be given.

• TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor Member Posts: 3,937
    Is he ordering stuff and not paying attention to the cart/order?

Other than the many Speedorz that were tossed into orders that one stretch, I've never received a polybag (or anything) I didn't expect.
  • MrShinyAndNewMrShinyAndNew Member Posts: 282
    Lego probably doesn't know who he's buying the sets for, whether or not he has children, whether or not he buys Lego for himself or anyone else at other vendors, etc. They don't know everything, they're not Facebook or Google. So it would seem unlikely to me that they'd try to profile each customer and determine what category of toy they'd like as an extra in their order of toys.

Also, sometimes the freebies are organized around similar purchases: Friends giveaways when you purchase other Friends sets, Elves giveaways when you purchase Elves sets, Star Wars giveaways when you purchase Star Wars sets, etc. Not all themes get this treatment and usually there's also another giveaway that's "spend at least $50 or $75 or $whatever and get a free set", and that set may or may not be any specific theme. So the freebies are on a schedule, part of a generic promotion, available to everyone. Does Lego "think" before doing these? Of course, these are meant to spur purchases and cross-promote themes.

Finally, I have never seen a technic giveaway, and it's hard to imagine what such a set would look like. A bag full of gears? A service pack of new connectors or beams or whatever? Most Technic creations tend to be rather large. Are there people who build teeny tiny machines out of 40 or fewer parts? If so those could be a candidate for giveaways, I suppose. Otherwise it would just be an assortment of parts and not at all interesting to anyone who doesn't have a bunch of technic to mix it with.
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    Being interested, even exclusively, in one theme, doesn't mean that you can't eventually be tempted by another - which is what TLG hope. They don't need to interest you in something you already buy, or are quite likely to buy if you branch out a little. There are plenty of people who ignore countless sets until one in particular changes everything.

Alternatively, the item may be passed to someone else who may become interested.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Member Posts: 10,654
    Well typically I have seen LEGO do poly offers that match the them they are being given away with, such as SW= hoth han, yularen, darth revan with SW purchase Marvel =winter soldier with Marvel purchase) and Creator flower cart with Detective office and Mini VW van with the purchase of the full size camper van, etc.
    But typically I only receive the poly that matches the promo. However, there have been times where the guys at the warehouse throw in a bag to get rid of them. Im guessing that is what is occurring at the warehouse where you friend is getting his sets from, but that is just a guess
    gmonkey76
  • ShibShib Member Posts: 5,453
    With the licence theme ones, if the terms are £50 on Star Wars typically they stick to that, with the friends and creator ones they are often get added to the cart anyway. I'm 90% sure that the OP is referring to recent spend £25 on Friends/Elves/Disney Princess and get a poly promos that have been added to any order over £25...it's just down to LEGO's online system being crap - usually it works against the buyer, just be glad when it works at least a little in their favour!
  • AleyditaAleydita Member Posts: 948
    About time we had some Technic polys! Been a while...
  • (1)Stein(1)Stein Member Posts: 31
    Its free Lego! Whats not to like?
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 Member Posts: 1,813
    I have gotten extra Lego when I have placed [email protected] orders. When they had the LEGO Employee Minifig one came in each box.(i believe there was three boxes with that order) I gotten a CFM once, a Speedorz set, and with my last order I got two 8881 battery boxes.
  • khmellymelkhmellymel Member Posts: 1,310
    I've gotten the occasional freebie from Lego as well, but I think it's because they had messed up my order.  *shrug*.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 Member Posts: 2,146
    I dont think there is much science behind it.  

I think they have a team or maybe an individual or two who plans this stuff out each year or perhaps makes a 2/3 year cycle of polybag and other freebie giveaways.  

Its kind of like marketing; you do the best you can to reach a target audience knowing you won't capture everyone you wanted and are including some you didnt mean too as well.

I'm sure its set up much in a calendar like way; they work it out with the double VIP point times, holiday times, etc.