Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

House Collection

sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
edited December 2011 in Collecting
Anyone else collect "house" sets? If so, how extensive is your collection? What is your oldest "house"? What parameters do you consider for adding to your collection (e.g., Creator only, no minifigs, post year X, etc.)? Do you build them and/or collect MISB?

Comments

• sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    Here is my collection, which I'd like to grow:

4954 - Model Town House, 2007 (1 build)

4956 - House, 2007 (1 build, 1 MISB)

4996 - Beach House, 2008 (1 build, 1 MISB)

6754 - Family Home, 2009 (1 build, 1 MISB)

5891 - Apple Tree House, 2010 (1 build, 1 MISB)

5766 - Log Cabin, 2011 (1 build, 1 MISB)

5771 - Hillside House, 2011 (1 build, 1 MISB)

Next on my list (in addition to the MISB 4954) is the 4886 Building Bonanza:

then I'll start going after the older home sets from the 1970s and 1980s. Was there much from the 1990s?
  • aplbomr79aplbomr79 Member Posts: 159
    edited December 2011
    Well, I am a bit behind you... I came out of my dark age in 2009 and am happy to see that TLG is back into releasing these house sets.

4996 - Beach House, 2008
    6754 - Family Home, 2009
    6754 - Family Home, 2009
    5891 - Apple Tree House, 2010
    8403 - City House, 2010
    5766 - Log Cabin, 2011
    5771 - Hillside House, 2011

• sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    ^ Ah, yes, I have an 8403 City House too. Forgot that. It's MISB. I actually don't have another to build yet.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,036
    I've been wanting that townhouse since 2008 but have finally accepted that I won't get it. Since then, I have the same complement of houses as @sidersdd except only one Family Home. That one just doesn't do it for me. But the Apple Tree, Beach and 2007 Houses are just exquisite.
  • romdamromdam Member Posts: 136
    I don't collect any of the new houses as they are too big for my Classic town. Just don't fit in. Tho I do have all but 2 of the 80's ones.
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,270
    edited December 2011
    Well when you said "oldest" house... my ears perked right up.... ;-)

The first true LEGO house for sale to the public was in the USA in 1961 (and Canada in 1962). This was the 717 Junior Constrcutor Set of 1961-65.

Below is an image of the 2 versions of this house, the first image was the prototype, whose image was used on the early USA/Canada Samsonite LEGO catalog. However it proved to be too large of a set (9 10x20 baseplates) to a smaller modern flat roofed house (4 10x20 baseplates). The Cotswold Cottage style gable roofed house was however found as a European (continental) glued display model from 1959-61, as a #238 Ideas Book image, and as a Samsonite LEGO advertising image.

No examples of the mock up prototype box (3rd image) exist in the USA or in the Billund Collections. And the 4th image shows the box of the actually produced (but not shown in Samsonite LEGO catalogs for a few years) set box.

I own both intact models (prototype built of spare parts), and both the prototype and actually for sale model were the 2 largest LEGO house models of the 20th Century.

I have a 15 page document with the history and building instructions of the models (in my Bricklink LEGO Store). The 717 Samsonite prototype is IMHO the most beautiful of all LEGO houses before the 21st Century.

Cheers,
    Gary Istok

Want to know a secret... both models use the same number of the same classic style windows and doors,
  • streekerstreeker FranceMember Posts: 299
    There is also the very small 5477 Classic House Building that came out 2006/07 and whose parts resemble those of 4956. It came in a bucket with no instructions. Parts were made in Denmark, England, and Belgium.
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    Personally, I loved and enjoyed these smalller houses our dear friend @Istokg has shared with us. They compliment a City/Town plan more better due to the smaller scale.
  • roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,355
    edited December 2011
    I've never really been in to these recent bigger houses, but I'll never let go of my old classics 6370, 6372, 6388, 6374 and the delightful 1484 (and although not a house, 1490 goes very well with these).
    I'm always after more of the above so pm me if you have any for trade/sale.
  • SupersympaSupersympa SwedenMember Posts: 534
    Thanks @Istokg for the history part!

I really like those houses, I keep buying them, building them, and...putting them down as I do not know yet what to do with it....I have most of them (build and MISB) except for the bonanza (4886) and the hillside house (5771) that I do not have yet in any condition.
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    I have what you have @sidersdd except the Town house :-(
    I love the houses (though in reality I tend to find the builds a bit dull!) But I want as many as possible. My earliest house is 376 - which is adorable, and I intend to build more from parts to create a street.
    My sister has our houses from the 80s including the weetabix house, which is also a great little house.
    Building bonanza is great for kids - as there's so many alternatives, but I suspect I'll never build the alternatives.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    @Sidersdd I have the same list, + a few multiples, minus 4956 - that was before my serious AFOL time and not worth the premiums it now commands. Managed to pick up building bonanza for £15 in an ebay auction this year titled 'lego house' :)

The town house was available from smyths for most of this year (and probably still is).

I reckon 'family home' would go well with the friends theme due to the taller height.
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 890
    I really like these houses - I have multiples of a few of the recent ones as they're excellent parts packs, especially the 6754 with all the tan - TRU in Luton (UK) were still stocking these until a few months ago which was great as I'd missed the usual release.

There is a great MOC where someone has used the houses to make modular buildings - you can still see which house it is, but they's just been turned into a really nice terrace - if I can find the link (saw it on eurobricks) I'll post it up here.
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    I think a lot of the older House sets are cool because of their historic factor, but I didn't really start my own House collection until Beach House:
    4996 - Beach House, 2008
    6754 - Family Home, 2009
    5891 - Apple Tree House, 2010
    5766 - Log Cabin, 2011
    5771 - Hillside House, 2011

I missed out on 8403 - City House, 2010 - kept putting it off because it didn't have "4" walls (thouhgt about getting 2 if I would have ever seen them discounted, which I didn't).

One day I'd still like to get 4954 - Model Town House, 2007.
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,270
    edited December 2011
    @Coolspash Thanks! One of the nice things about those old house sets of the early 1960s is that there were 9 different classic window types that actually made a "system", and could be used in endless combinations. Today building techniques for models require SNOT techniques, or other unconventional building "gimmicks" (headlight bricks for windows, etc..). Back then... you just found the window type you needed and continued building... pure and simple.

But what was not so simple was the fact that Samsonite didn't fix their catalogs for some time as to the correct 717 set that was ACTUALLY produced. In the USA... the 1961-62 catalogs had the prototype 717 showing in the catalogs, and didn't put the actually produced set image in until 1963. However, in Canada, Samsonite never did fix the catalogs to show the right 717 set. All the catalogs from 1962-64 showed the wrong 717 set.

Below is a 1963-64 Canadian Samsonite Catalog page.... and it's still WRONG!! Unbelievable!!

The reason I know so much about these sets is that in the 1960s as a small child, I WANTED the prototype 717 set... and my aunt spent 2 years looking in vain to find it (she's still alive in her 80s today, but I never told her of the incorrect catalog image). It took me 40 years of wondering until the early 2000's, when a discussion with the folks at the TLG Archives/Collections in Billund confirmed that the catalog image set was never produced. Talk about TLG squashing a kids dream!

So I added an "Attachment A" to my LEGO CD collectors guide (the 15 page history I mentioned in my previous post). It shows about 30 images of the prototype and actually produced set, and all the times each of them showed up in LEGO catalogs, retailer catalogs, TV commercials, magazine ads and idea books. I even show alternate models that were shown in other idea books, as well as detailed building instructions.

These 2 models are therefore my personal "Holy Grail"... of LEGO sets. I only wish I had the LEGO "mock-up" of the prototype box in my collection!

The last 3 images are from a Continental European glued model display catalog (upper right corner image), a #238 Idea Book (1960-64), and a USA 1962 TV Commercial. This is the type of research I do for much of my Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide 1949-90s on CD. Lots of historical images and interesting facts.