Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Pick a brick Spanners

Ian_SIan_S UKMember Posts: 53

I was rather surprised to discover spanners in the pick a brick wall at the weekend.  I don't think I've ever seen minifig accessories in the PAB before, might this have been an error in store?

Has anyone else had any particularly unusual PAB finds recently?

Comments

• dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,118
    edited August 2015
    This was intentional. The August mini build model (the jeep) has the tool clipped to the side of it
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,402
    If you mean the black wrenches, they are part of this months mini PAB build. 
  • Ian_SIan_S UKMember Posts: 53

That's interesting, but this was a PAB wall in the UK and as far as I know we've not had the Pick-A-Model (not a great idea IMHO) added to PAB walls here yet.  Hence my surprise.

@oldtodd33 Alright, "wrench" if you insist, but I'm still gonna call them spanners! :)

• oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,402
    Few people here would call it a spanner, generally it's a term for a fixed width wrench.
    madforLEGO
  • CoraHarrisonCoraHarrison Member Posts: 242
    I saw this, and I too was a little stumped as to why this happened. 
    Shame it's a one off and we're not going to see much else in the way of minifig accessories in PAB anytime soon.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,500
    edited August 2015
    @oldtodd33 - they're commonly called spanners in the UK.  It's also a slang term for an idiot  :)
    I do love these cultural differences! 
    Ian_SAndorkiki180703The_Mad_VulcanShibVorpalRyu

@CoraHarrison It'd be lovely if it wasn't a one off, there are quite a few minifig accessories that I'd happily grab a few handfuls of at PAB prices!  But I fear you're quite right. 

• PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,388
    @Ian_S They've been re-naming the PAB walls from Pick-a-Brick to Pick-a-Build. In the UK this seems to consist solely of putting new signage above the wall (without losing any space). Apparently a lot of people thought the elements were for decoration only, so they've added the signage to encourage more people to buy from it.
    jesirose

@Paperballpark Ah, yes I saw the new sign first at Watford, though I didn't think it looked very "on brand" myself; I seem to recall the colours were a bid odd to my eye.  Have to admit on my first visit to a Lego store way-back-when I assumed they weren't for sale because they were behind the tills.

jesirose
  • Kevin_HyattKevin_Hyatt UKMember Posts: 778
    I was tempted to buy a cup full just so that I'd never need to get another spanner ever but then I realised I already had a lifetimes supply of ten!
    jesirose
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,110
    Ian_S said:

I assumed they weren't for sale because they were behind the tills.

This is exactly the problem and no amount of signage will change that from a new customer perspective - I say this as a sign maker, people go blind to signs, no matter how obvious it seems!
    Ian_S
    @Kevin_Hyatt I grabbed a small handful which turned out to be 51.  What I'd really like is to see mugs appear, then I can fulfil my dream of creating a rather meta Mug of Mugs without breaking the bank!  But that's never going to happen.
    jesirose