Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links to help keep the forum online: LEGO.com Amazon

Goodbye Lego, my kids first "dark ages"

2»

Comments

• crazycarlcrazycarl USAMember Posts: 392
    natro220 said:

Are you willing to buy sets not currently available from Ebay or Bricklink?  There have been many great city themes outside the usual Police/Fire.  The airport sets released a few years back were pretty great IMO, many of the power functions trains have been pretty neat too.  Some ideas to expand your city, if you don't already have them:

#3182 Airport

#3661 Bank & Money Transfer

#4644 Marina

#4645 Harbour

#7637 Farm

#7993 Service Station

#7994 Lego City Harbour

I agree that City has been relatively slim pickings the last few years.  I like the current Divers theme, but it's hard to add to an already existing City layout.

Those would be cool but what parent wants to buy those old sets at a 500% markup because now they are "collectible"?  Set #7993, a $40 set for $300.  I agree with some appreciation but come on guys.  
  • MrShinyAndNewMrShinyAndNew Member Posts: 244
    "The best thing about Lego is that you can make whatever they aren't selling." Maybe in some cases but what r people supposed to do when they need a specific type of part yet Lego is too lazy to make since they're more worried about making the same stuff over and over again??? 
    I'll assume you're being serious, and not trolling, it's hard to tell from your tone but you do have a lot of question marks. Here's what I do when I'm stumped creating something: google. Just do a Google image search for "Lego dentist office" and you'll find results, including a Lego ideas submission that has a pretty decent Lego dentist chair using standard parts.

Will you be able to have exactly all the tools you'd expect your dentist to have? No. But you're fooling yourself if you think that Lego would make new tools just for a dentist. How many times have they re-used the same sets of minifig tools? Heck, the first few years of Star Wars didn't even have blasters, they had loudhailers as guns. Sometimes you have to fudge it a little.

jesirose
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 621
    edited August 2015
    ^Agreed; half the fun of MOCing is letting the audience's imagination heat up.  If i showed that CMF doctor or nurse figure hovering over a brick-built reclined chair surrounded by walls that are very close to the chair, and the doctor figure is holding a chainsaw or one of those big wrenches (or scissors!), and the minifig in the chair has one of those frightened expressions with a wide-open mouth, then the viewer wouldn't care how accurate the parts are; they know for certain that they're looking at a dentist's office, and they can relate to the experience!

(Yes, I have an unnatural fear of dentistry...)
    jesirosedougtsAllBricksnowhitie
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 311
    "The best thing about Lego is that you can make whatever they aren't selling." Maybe in some cases but what r people supposed to do when they need a specific type of part yet Lego is too lazy to make since they're more worried about making the same stuff over and over again??? I am trying to design a dentist office moc. How am I supposed to do that when there's next to nothing that will work for dentist tools? How can I have a swiveling tool tray, xray thing, or light when I can't find the right style of hinges to work with for the scale I'm using(minifigure scale)? I need masks for my minifigure but they don't have the style or color I need and the only head w/ a medical mask is to expensive, mask too small, and a female dedicated head??? Unless I am willing to pay 28+ cents each or swipe the hands from my 2 scientists, how am I supposed to have the right color for hands?

Wow, I think complaining has reached an all new low, even for these boards...
    jesirosedougtsmr.piggles
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 311
    The more specialized pieces that are made, the less it is Lego.  The thing with Lego, as many have said, is you're creating certain things out of basic blocks.  Some are specialized, others aren't.  Imagination is key here, and if you really require exact, specific pieces to create your MOC or whatever you're making, Lego isn't the proper medium for you then.
    jesirosedougts
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,217
    edited August 2015
    I consider the screwdriver piece (found as part of http://brickset.com/parts/6030875 ) to be a good general handheld tool for most situations, and would definitely look at least something like a mini figure scale dentists drill (if you didn't want to make the joke and use the power drill piece from that same part set :-P )

Edit: in fact those between all those tools there's something to fill in for most small tool like items you might want a mini figure to hold.
    jesirosedougts
  • jesirosejesirose McKinney, TXMember Posts: 52
    Shib said:
    I consider the screwdriver piece (found as part of http://brickset.com/parts/6030875 ) to be a good general handheld tool for most situations, and would definitely look at least something like a mini figure scale dentists drill (if you didn't want to make the joke and use the power drill piece from that same part set :-P )

Edit: in fact those between all those tools there's something to fill in for most small tool like items you might want a mini figure to hold.

I second this - dentist tools are already minuscule, on minifig scale they'd be invisible :) I'd use the drill, magnifier, all the ones on the bottom row really
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    @ mr shiny
    Yes I am being serious. And I never said anything about the dentist chair. I already have a chair that works for now. And I've tried using other items in place but there's nothing that works for the mirror I need and I'd like a proper looking pic and not the screwdriver I have on the rack now. 

I've tried thinking outside the box when it comes to the swiveling action and the one I have in place now for the light and tray is failed attempts 2 & 3 respectively. An x Ray machine is something that I now know how to make most of if my idea works but I'm not sure if kreo ball and socket hinges will do the trick or not.