Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Bricktastic Manchester August 15th & 16th

13»

Comments

• BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,296
    Fantastic!
    Congrats, @SirKevbags , on a brilliant weekend.
  • Craigster10Craigster10 Member Posts: 54
    Great event and very well organised, absolutely loved @Huw train and town layout and was lovely to meet him at long last.  Even if I did have to keep a sharp eye on my excited 7 year old running all over the place! Huge thanks to all involved especially @SirKevbags.  Massive thanks to @Salamalex ; for shipping my models to the event.  
    CoraHarrisonSirKevbagsSalamalexLostInTranslation
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,473
    I also want to say a huge thanks to @SirKevbags - and everyone else involved - for organising a fantastic event. Everything ran really smoothly, and it was a pleasure to display at. I know my parents and sister had a great time when they came across on the Saturday, and everyone else I spoke to seemed to be really enjoying it as well. :)
    SirKevbagsLostInTranslation
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,296
    Hear, hear!

It was my first Lego show, so I wasn't really sure what to expect.  While it was great to see the big, impressive layouts that obviously took significant time and money to put together, I really enjoyed looking at the smaller models and vignettes, of the sort of scale that would fit on a tea tray.  They were less about the scale, and more about the skill.

It's very encouraging to think that I could probably (attempt to) produce something similar with some time and effort, rather than assuming I just don't have enough parts to create something worth showing.

And to your earlier point Huw, my apologies!  While I did come and say hello, I completely forgot to thank you for all the effort you put into Brickset.  I'd like to think that you know that we all appreciate it, but there's no reason not to actually say so when we have the opportunity.

Which I totally failed to do!  My bad!

So have a belated 'Thanks!' now!!

Thanks!
    SirKevbagsLostInTranslationCoraHarrison
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,473
    Thanks!! :)
    edited August 2015
    In case anyone misses the announcement I've just posted:

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/20947/a-big-thank-you#latest 
  • SalamalexSalamalex UKMember Posts: 274
    Brilliant event @SirKevbags. Came home buzzing about all the things I'd seen and people I'd spoken to.  Thanks for offering me the chance to be involved in such a great event with all those amazing builders that I aspire to emulate. The new mosaic is ace! 
    LostInTranslationShibCraigster10SirKevbags
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,233
    Might have just started work on a project that was the result of a conversation at Bricktastic...
    LostInTranslationTheBrickLaddLego_Star
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    A week after getting married is no time for new projects! ;)
    LegoboySirKevbagsShib
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    ^ We may have tired them out this weekend! 
    Shib
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,516
    A week after getting married is no time for new projects! ;)
    Technically, he didn't mention it was LEGO based.
    Shib
  • bendybadgerbendybadger 127.0.0.1 ::1Member Posts: 1,141
    Hear, hear!

It was my first Lego show, so I wasn't really sure what to expect.  While it was great to see the big, impressive layouts that obviously took significant time and money to put together, I really enjoyed looking at the smaller models and vignettes, of the sort of scale that would fit on a tea tray.  They were less about the scale, and more about the skill.

I loved some of the smaller stuff too and I know one exhibitor packed her entire display into a wheeled shopping bag. Hope it got back safe and sound @LostInTranslation :smile: 

I also saw a micro farm that I was very impressed with as well but not sure who the builder was. 

Cannot wait for the next Bricktastic. I fear now I am hooked on the lego conventions and can see myself attending more of these. 
    LegoboyLostInTranslationSirKevbags
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,526
    edited August 2015
    @bendybadger -  I haven't looked yet! Got in just before midnight on Sunday, dumped everything and went straight to bed then didn't look last night.  The journey was incident-free though so should be ok.  
    @Huw made fun of my trolley though! He said it was grannyish! He's not as nice as everyone thinks, that Huw.   :|

I'm afraid I don't really recall meeting you Bendybadger. Sorry! But I know I'd remember if you'd said your username because I would've thanked you for running all the raffles  :)
    (even though I never win!) 
    ShibSirKevbags
    edited August 2015
    Was the micro farm you liked on the table next to me? Near the chips and the Pokemon? If so that was Mark Sellick's work.  
    edited August 2015
    My personal favourite model from Bricktastic By Thomas Poulsom of Birds fame.  The rest of his menagerie was awesome too. Though it lacked a koala (as I said to him  :)) 

@Farmer_John I suggested characters from the Were Rabbit too,  like your avatar!  :)

Haha just realised part of my "granny"  shopping trolley is visible in the picture! 
    Lego_Starkiki180703SirKevbags
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,704
    OMG!  You took that round with you??  In public??  Practical, I'll give you that.
    I'm not wrong, am I :-)
    Legoboy
    It's practical!  She can use it every 5 mins when she needs a little sit down.  There's room in it for a thermos of tea, biscuits, some Werthers and a pair of comfy slippers.
    And the purple of the bag will go lovely with her hair when she gets a blue rinse...
    HuwbendybadgerLego_StarSirKevbagsLegoboy
    Ha! I don't drink tea!
  • bendybadgerbendybadger 127.0.0.1 ::1Member Posts: 1,141
    @LostInTranslation Sorry I never really introduced myself.  I feel self-conscious sometimes addressing myself and Bendybadger maybe I should change my name to StealthyBadger?  I am still unsure of the origins of my username anyway?

It was Mark Sellicks work and I remember it now the minifig hands as crops was very NPU.

Don't listen to the guys I thought the shopping trolley was very practical and I'm sure you need somewhere to put your plastic rain hood in when you go the local Bingo Hall.

Lego_Star
  • Lego_StarLego_Star ... in a galaxy far, far away.Member Posts: 2,147
    Soooooooooooooo wishing I went to Bricktastic! Seems like it was both brick and bantertastic! :)
    Salamalex
  • Big_SalBig_Sal UKMember Posts: 37
    edited August 2015
    Thanks for the compliments on my farm @bendybadger :) Since you're in West Yorkshire you should be well placed to attend Brickshire events now you're hooked, and of course you're always welcome to join the LUG if you want!

Congrats to @SirKevbags and everyone else on a great show. It was nice to meet @LostInTranslation, @Huw and others in person, and many thanks to @Paperballpark for lending me a table cloth and to @Salamalex for getting my models there!
    I think I am detecting some jealousy regarding my very useful and aesthetically pleasing trolley. The Trolley will most likely be going on tour to Steam in October, so those who missed out in Manchester can see it then.
    ShibbendybadgerSirKevbagsLego_StarCapnRex101Drone
    @LostInTranslation's Trolley Tour 2015 - think we might need some commemorative t-shirts made up ;-) 
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,516
    Seems there's lots of interest in the bag @LostInTranslation , maybe you should set up a stall at the next show ;).
  • LegopantsLegopants GermanyMember Posts: 1,997

This is what I'm aspiring to - yes, the dress and stockings too.
    Nice rims!

LostInTranslation
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    Granny trolleys are cutting edge hip in London, I'll have you know. Lucy is leading trends once again
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    Amazing show. Had a brilliant time and the crowd were lovely.  Never known so many families to stay for soooo long, like 5 hours! There wasn't a single customer complaint on social media afaik, which is pretty bloody remarkable these days! 
    ShibbendybadgerSirKevbagspricey73LostInTranslationMinifigsMeMrs_Wobblehead
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    Really excellent show! We enjoyed it so much (as did my manic 2 year old, who spent 2 days chasing Iain's Ghostbuster's car!) thanks to everyone who came and bought stuff from us or just came to chat. Can't wait for next year! ;-)
    LostInTranslationbendybadgerpricey73Mrs_WobbleheadSirKevbags
    Granny trolleys are cutting edge hip in London, I'll have you know. Lucy is leading trends once again.

Yes, on 'Help Those Unfortunate Enough to Need a Hip Replacement Day'.

@Huw, I'm with you.  No.  Just no.  No words can describe.  ;)
    It's easy to mock when you have the use of a car isn't It? 

I wanted to go and display and support Fairy Bricks and the only way I could get the models there was by packing them into a shopping trolley (as a suitcase wasn't wide enough) so I could get them on the bus, tube, train and walk with them to the venue without completely knackering my back. 
    Excuse me for not looking fashionable as I did so.  

I don't mind a bit of banter but no need to flog it to death.  
    Be proud of the trolley, it was definitely a practical solution and definitely wasn't as grannyish as some are making out.

that photo of the line up is like "Where's Wally?" but with all Wallys ;-) (I'm aloud to say that as one of said Wallys!)

*Appologies to any American readers, that joke doesn't translate with Waldo)
    LegoboyLostInTranslation
    C'mon everyone, give Lucy a break before she goes off her trolley...
    Legoboy
    I'm looking forward in seeing what luggage she takes to Billund. 
  • LeeLee ukMember Posts: 138
    I know its been a while now since bricktastic but I just wanted to say that I went (first ever event) and it was GREAT. So nice to be with like minded people. I probley spoke to many of you guys and gals. How would I go about displaying my moc there next year?
    ^ Keep an eye on this very forum!
  • leemcgleemcg Member Posts: 607
    Thanks @Lee for re-opening the thread - I hadn't seen @caperberry ; destroying our biplane up until now as I was on holiday.  This will be remembered :-) 
    kiki180703
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    Jolly good fun. Thanks to the Bricks lads for doing it.
    LostInTranslationPaperballparkLee