Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

any idea what the 2015 winter village set is?

Comments

• alexwilalexwil UKMember Posts: 369
    Missed out first time around. So not too disappointed! (If this is true!) 
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    edited August 2015
    wow.  If true, this is a deal changer IMHO, in so many ways.

And I hope the sales numbers on it are absolutely garbage, which is what they deserve to be for such a phoned in effort.  How is it you resort to re-releases on a once/year theme that is only 6 sets in?  disgraceful
    cheshirecatBrickDancernatro220pharmjodLegoboytamamahmSteve_J_OMDad
    Nesquik said:
    Sort-of off topic, but I've also seen the follow up to Sydney. Not spoiling the surprise, but you'll find an extra pair of hands when building it... 
    Big Ben?
    pharmjodjonamokRevBlues
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,810
    edited August 2015

^ Would love that so much to go with tower bridge. Think it could work really well and look great.

Sethro3
  • Captain_EyebrowCaptain_Eyebrow Test Valley, looking at that new brand store that is coming to Southampton by Christmas 2019 . . . .Member Posts: 143
    I've been reading the other feeds in the forum and hoping this is not true. I'll reserve judgement until I've seen it either way. 

Potentially a bit of a shame for those of us who have it from the first time around, what's next years offering! The bakery again!
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Totally agree with dougts, of all the models you could do a rerelease of (UCS MF) definately don't do it from the winter village. Without interest in the modulars the winter village was probably the release I anticipate the most. Shame, although our display area was getting full and we had to start building earlier and earlier in December.
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,386
    re-releasing the modulars wouldn't be a bad idea either, seeing how prices skyrocket after eol, which suggests there may be enough demand to consider a re-release.
    couple of points about the re-release argument that has been hashed and rehashed on these forums for years:

1) you can't just look at price on the secondary market, you have to look at volume sold. Sure #10224 is selling for about 2.5 times RRP, but it's selling in very very low volumes.  That isn't a compelling argument for LEGO to make more
    2) psychology 1.  People pass by these things on the shelves for years, then only rush out to by them at inflated prices once they EOL.  a re-release isn't going to capture people that fall into that category of buyers
    3) psychology 2.  Many people collect these because they want them "all".  Once you start down the path of re-releases you risk alienating some portion of the collector base, who then may decide they are done with the series and stop buying new ones.
    3) opportunity cost.  if indeed this year's winter set is a re-release of the first one, you have to judge the sales figure against what they would have sold if they would have released something new instead.  even if the set sells ok, if it doesn't beat what you could have done with a new set, then it was a bad move.  it's a bit of a guessing game, but you could at least compare to last year's Santa's House.  If sales of this years re-release are down from last year, it's a pretty good bet the re-release did't perform as well as an original set would have.

natro220oldtodd33
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,416
    Maybe they'll throw everyone off by releasing a winter village town hall 
    SumoLegoTXLegoguyRonyarJern92LegoTT
  • JoeysGirlJoeysGirl Heartlake CityMember Posts: 11
    Why not make a winter shopping center? With a winter themed toy store, a candy/sweets store, a LEGO store, etc? That would be really awesome, IMO. How has this not ever been a part of the winter village yet when it's such a huge part of the Christmas season?
    dougts said:

1) you can't just look at price on the secondary market, you have to look at volume sold. Sure #10224 is selling for about 2.5 times RRP, but it's selling in very very low volumes.  That isn't a compelling argument for LEGO to make more

for 2.5 times RRP, it's not surprising that most people pass.

I don't get point 2, why would people wait for price to increase before they buy?

point 3, what about one of those collectors who missed the first ones? now there is no point in beginning the collection.

TXLegoguy
  • juggles7juggles7 United StatesMember Posts: 452
    Why would people wait for a price increase before they buy? Because they did not anticipate the item going out of stock at retail, or the accompanying price increase. They didn't really want one when they were everywhere. The scarcity of an item makes people want it. That's a psychological phenomena at play, namely that people want what they can't have. You're assuming that people make rational decisions; they often don't. As for point 3, collectors can begin collecting a series even if the first ones of the series are no longer at retail. Though they're no longer available in retail stores, they can be picked up on the secondary market.
    oldtodd33goshe7dougts
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    Fauch said:

I don't get point 2, why would people wait for price to increase before they buy?

They're not waiting for it to increase; they're waiting to find the set cheaper. When it EOLs, they suddenly realise that it's now only going to get more expensive and buy it at whatever price they can find it, even if it's more than it was originally.

Fauch said:

point 3, what about one of those collectors who missed the first ones? now there is no point in beginning the collection.

By that logic, they have to release them all again - and announce the fact when they re-release the first. Otherwise people who missed other sets still aren't going to start collecting.
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,471
    @Fauch  Why do you think #10225 Town Hall is selling at or near $500.00 now?  It caught everyone off guard because it went out of order and people expected it to be around for a while so they put off buying it and then bang!, it was gone quick. That set is a resellers dream come true. 
  • BoomDiggityBoomDiggity Member Posts: 107
    Seriously?  Why the heck not re-release 10173 before another toy shop?  Surely more people missed out on that and would love another train.
    kiki180703pharmjodTheLoneTensortamamahmdougtsTXLegoguythenosJohnnyfinlandia
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,956
    ^Seriously. 
    I will also be very  annoyed if the one stupid line I look forward to all year is a repeat.

One possibility to consider... Both are correct. It could be that Lego knows how much money these sets make for them yearly, and that they have decided to begin repeating the line for those that missed out, BUT at the same time also putting out a new release.

Until the point of clear data, I am going to put my fingers in my ears, yell LALALALALA, and presume Grogall must be correct. 
    dougtsalexwilTheLoneTensorherbyderbythenoskhmellymel
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,098
    What's funny is we are so close to finding out anyways.  Plus! We are talking about a holiday set in mid August! Good grief.
    Mordoor
  • goshe7goshe7 Columbus, Ohio, USAMember Posts: 515
    I think we are only 2 weeks ahead of Walmart setting up their Christmas seasonal section... ;)
    piratemania7
    ^exactly my point!
    Mordoor
  • juggles7juggles7 United StatesMember Posts: 452
    I think the 2009 Toy Shop is about to get a lot cheaper on the secondary market.
    edited August 2015
    Fauch said:
    dougts said:

for 2.5 times RRP, it's not surprising that most people pass.

Point 2 was explained well by others. As to point 3, the collectors you mention will still have missed the first set in the theme.  A rerelease isn't the same set.  Once the first on a theme retires, you've already lost those completionists who don't start the theme because it's all
    or nothing. Rerelease doesn't fix that. But it does risk costing you the whole other demographic of people who enjoy collecting the series each year. 
  • herbyderbyherbyderby CaliforniaMember Posts: 65
    I just bought a used 10199 after the rumors that it would actually be a candy store (I had been holding out), so I will feel pretty silly if it is a re-release. I guess you can never have too many light bricks?

On the other hand, if it is a re-release, and a sign of things to come, then please sign me up for a Green Grocer 2016.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,584
    I'm on board for a Cafe Corner... 

(And a magic unicorn.)
    messy
    dougts said:

A rerelease isn't the same set.
    I suspect it would be for some people. It rather depends on whether they are collecting all the models in a series or all the sets - the two aren't quite the same.

There are slightly different versions of the same set, with the same set number, out there. There are also identical sets with different numbers and sets with the same number that are packaged differently. What people regard as being a "complete series" will vary from person to person.

I imagine the same would be true to a different degree if the re-release wasn't quite the same. There are people who BrickLinked something like Cafe Corner, but with substitutions, who are reasonably happy that they have all the Modulars.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,899
    I'm also going to be surprised if @Grogall teased us about a "re-release". He's not omniscient but his track record is pretty much 100% from my experience on the LEGO forums. I will just wait and see and reserve judgement until LEGO gives us a pic. That said, a re-release would be incredibly lazy.

SumoLego
  • Rebrick37112Rebrick37112 Member Posts: 8
    dougts said:
    Nesquik said:
    Sort-of off topic, but I've also seen the follow up to Sydney. Not spoiling the surprise, but you'll find an extra pair of hands when building it... 
    Big Ben?
    Lincoln Memorial?
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,899
    edited August 2015
    Nesquik said:

Re-do of the Statue of Liberty with updated building techniques would be epic. Not holding my breath though.
  • Rebrick37112Rebrick37112 Member Posts: 8
    pharmjod said:
    Nesquik said:

Re-do of the Statue of Liberty with updated building techniques would be epic. Not holding my breath though.
    Now that would be a great re-release!
    SumoLego

^ That was my first thought but I think Big Ben would work a lot better in Lego maybe Tower Bridge has been around so long because its a good seller and it would be good to have them both around at the same time.

• MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 993
    My first thought was actually 'Christ the Redeemer' (if you're gonna start breaking the no religion rule - GO LARGE!) Big Ben is the obvious choice (based on that teaser) but how about the Sphinx?
    Well its about TIME we got Big Ben. Back to WV the first 3 went together well so if they are redoing 1 they should do all 3. They could have made the first 3 again as one big super set.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,551
    I thought this was a thread about the Winter Village set...?
    madforLEGOMiniFigHunter
  • bendybadgerbendybadger 127.0.0.1 ::1Member Posts: 1,141
    I thought it was the Elizabeth Tower they would do and not Big Ben. :wink: 
    ^as if any thread would go off topic on Brickset.  
    pharmjodSirBenToc13
    I can see several problems with Big Ben. If you're talking just in terms of the Elizabeth Tower, then I imagine it would extremely monotonous. Also, at the end of the day it's just a clock tower like so many others - how many people would identify it from a selection of models of vaguely similar towers.

Coupled with the rest of the Palace of Westminster, it would at least be identifiable. The snag is that it would need the detailing to make it work - and that would probably mean that it would have to be too large. The same is true of many gothic buildings.

As for a superset of the first three Winter Village models, if a re-release of one model would be of limited appeal, three of them together would be even more limited. Most people who are interested are likely to have at least one already. Yes, they go well together to the extent that they are a subtheme in their own right, but at the moment it appears it may well be a subtheme that is dead a buried.
  • Bricklover18Bricklover18 PA, USAMember Posts: 720
    This is a bit off topic but it would be really good if they would do the cathedral of Notre Dame, but it would violate their no religion rule.  The gothic type architecture of the building is really nice. 
    I was waiting for someone to say off topic and someone to say Big Ben is just the name of the bell. Lego have called it Big Ben in the past and I think that's the name they will use again. A number of models of just the tower have been made inculding a fake Lego one (sorry can't add links as on my phone) and they show it can be done, look good and iconic.
    SMC said:
    I was waiting for someone to say off topic and someone to say Big Ben is just the name of the bell.
    Keep waiting - nobody has said either yet!
    SMC said:

A number of models of just the tower have been made inculding a fake Lego one (sorry can't add links as on my phone) and they show it can be done, look good and iconic.
    The obvious one is that by Wange. But it's not that good and could be anything. Like many of the Architecture sets, it really only works because you know what it's supposed to be. The Archecture sets are acceptable because of their scale. In contrast, the previous, larger, LEGO offerings are unmistakable - they can't be anything other than what they are supposed to be.

The Elizabeth Tower needs the Palace of Westminster. Even TLG seem to agree as the Architecture version comes with part of it. It is possible to do well, as is demonstrated by the one in Windsor, but most gothic buildings need the detail to do them justice, and that's hard to achieve without increasing the scale.

There are many famous structures around the world, but most of them aren't sufficiently unique unless you're already familiar with them - even more so when you're talking about LEGO models of them rather than the real thing.
  • sonsofscevasonsofsceva 1904 World's FairMember Posts: 539
    I keep hearing about this policy of TLG against doing religious stuff. Where can I find an official statement on this, anyway? Anyone know?
  • ixvst012ixvst012 Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2015
    any body heard anything?
    Please see my entire discussion on this: http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/20844/lego-winter-village-set-name-confirmed/p1
  • PmhPmh netherlandsMember Posts: 128

A church would be so nice though. Would be a shame if lego could never make one. Maybe they can make a church and a mosque,as there are beautifull mosques as well.

Pmh said:

A church would be so nice though. Would be a shame if lego could never make one. Maybe they can make a church and a mosque,as there are beautifull mosques as well.

Whoa! "Never" is a big word.

They did make a church, or two. Sets 309 and 1309 are churches, albeit essentially the same one.
  • Nth_BrickNth_Brick Member Posts: 4

Man, I hope we're not in for a straight re-release of the Winter Village Toy Shop.

Another option might be for them to release a slightly modified Winter Village Toy Shop (for those who didn't get it the first time around) and then a new model, which would be in keeping with what Grogall is saying.  TLG has a history of re-releasing the past year's Winter Village model alongside the new one, so maybe they're just mixing things up and going back to where it all began.  Extra profits all round!

Any takers?  Either way, the press release should be out in a couple of days; I hope we know before the weekend is out.

I'd personally like to see a Judaic temple - something on the scale of the Taj Mahal.  Only fair if you all get a church and mosque!
    pharmjodGreenArrow57Mordoor
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,956
    Nth_Brick said:

Man, I hope we're not in for a straight re-release of the Winter Village Toy Shop.

Another option might be for them to release a slightly modified Winter Village Toy Shop (for those who didn't get it the first time around) and then a new model, which would be in keeping with what Grogall is saying.  TLG has a history of re-releasing the past year's Winter Village model alongside the new one, so maybe they're just mixing things up and going back to where it all began.  Extra profits all round!

Any takers?  Either way, the press release should be out in a couple of days; I hope we know before the weekend is out.

Scroll up. You'll see I mentioned the same option. ;-) 

I would honestly be okay if they did that, but just a straight re-release?? That would be very frustrating.
    Nth_Brick
  • Nth_BrickNth_Brick Member Posts: 4

Oh, didn't notice. :P  Either way, it just plain makes sense.

Speaking of the press release, though, does anyone when it's scheduled to come out?

• BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 751
    Both me and the nipper have got a full set of the WV models. Re-make would be a farewell.
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 815
    Nesquik said:

I've been loving Lego's series of large architectural wonders so far, with the exception of the Opera House. I'm torn between hoping the next one will be awesome and hoping that it'll be disappointing so I won't feel bad not buying it.
    edited August 2015

I feel the same way about most sets and lines, I am always happy to see a bad set and save money. The Opera House didn't really do it for me so much so I wondered if Lego would continue with the line as unlike most lines they were widening the gap between sets rather than making it smaller. I think the next one need to be great and for me that means a building that works well in Lego so nothing too curvy. Looking at the Architecture line I would go with Big Ben, the White House or the Empire state building. It would be great if they bid Big Ben and a Tower Bridge in the Architecture line.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/8059460590/in/photostream/

I don't remember seeing russian architecture. but maybe that's just too hard to replicate.

SumoLego