Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Microfighters - A Great Collection or Waste of Money?

Comments

• SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,159
    Actually I think I like the idea of a Tusken Raider and Bantha vs. Luke in the Landspeeder and a Sandcrawler and Jawa vs. a Dewback and Stormtrooper. Those seem to fit the movies a little better to me.

They could also do the N-1 vs. a regular Droid Fighter, Jango's Slave I vs. Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter, an Ewok Glider vs. an AT-ST, Tauntaun vs. a Speeder Bike (although I know that's a bit of a stretch since the Speeder Bikes aren't really seen during the Battle of Hoth), and perhaps even do Dash Rendar's Outrider vs. Prince Xizor's Virago. There's a lot of possibilities.
    VorpalRyu
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,304
    @SithLord196, I'm hoping we might get the Virago vs the Outrider, plus a few other EU vehicles. Did up my ideas for designs on those ships & threw them up on my Flickr, curious to see how close the TLG designs I get.
    xiahna
    Recently put up a few new blog entries on Awesomest Lego that I thought might interest some of you:
    awesomestlego.tumblr.com/post/123618231109/awesomest-lego-flickr-groups
    awesomestlego.tumblr.com/post/123541040144/lego-star-wars-microfighters
    xiahna
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,415
    @VorpalRyu
    Wow Dude! Your micro's are insane! The Y-wing, and the Battlestar Galactica Viper are really fantastic, all the others too. But those I think stand out most. The classic space micro's are also instantly recognizable. Well actually all of them are totally awesome!

ps.
    The microfighter collection is definitely not a waste of money. I've got three from series one (2014): X-wing; Tie-interceptor; and Star Destroyer. And from series two, all six models. They are really fun to build, look not just goofy and fun but actually capture the design of the vehicles really well too. All of them contain a nice minifig. Also they always have a great parts selection.

pps.
    I think it would be great if TLG, next year would design a next generation Advent calendar, with which you could build with all the parts from all those mini micro builds I don't care much about a proper micro fighter like the ones from the microfighter series. Wouldn't that be awesome?! That would also justify the current price tag much better IMO.
    VorpalRyu
    @TheBigLegoski, thanks, it mostly started out as creating Microfighters of ships I was hoping TLG would do for series 3 or 4 & sort expanded out from there. I'm still trying to get my minifig scale Viper to a point I am happy with it, while playing around with it, my wife suggested I do a couple of BSG Microfighters...
    xiahna
    I have to remember to boot up my computer at home and look through your albums.

I'm a HUGE Battlestar Galactica fan so I want to see how those turned out.
    VorpalRyu
  • TarDomoTarDomo FinlandMember Posts: 515
    Has everyone heard about the Series 3 sets mentioned on Amazon? What are people's thoughts on the choices? Personally, I think the announcement of the Ghost (from the Rebels cartoon) is great thing, it indicates we may see all the exclusives released as regular Microfighters, but I am a little disappointed. I was hoping that we'd still be some Ep I-VI vehicles & maybe some expanded universe stuff, like the SWTOR or SWKOTOR vessels at least.
    xiahna
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,442
    edited August 2015
    Crazy...

Microfighters Hero Starfighter (75125) – EUR 9.99
    Microfighters Villain Blue Craft (75126) – EUR 9.99
    Microfighters The Ghost (75127) – EUR 9.99
    Microfighters TIE Advanced Prototype (75128) – EUR 9.99
    Microfighters Wookie Gunship (75129) – EUR 9.99
    Microfighters AT-DP (75130) – EUR 9.99

We may never see SWTOR or SWKOTOR again, sadly...@vorpalryu
    Disney does not seem too fond of the EU outside of Rebels, and my understanding is that all of the EU that happens after Return of the Jedi is actually null and void, so unfortunately there may be no hope for TOR or KOTOR. 

Hero Starfighter and Villain Blue Craft? I can't help but think they're Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter and Jango's Slave I.

Well... Too much Rebels is too much. More OT stuff and why not some prequel vehicles as well. TOR would be great, but not realistic, I guess.

VorpalRyu

Another Microfighters blog update (Snowspeeder and Homing Spider Droid photographs)

http://battledroidbricks.blogspot.fi/2015/08/photographs-comparing-two-microfighters.html

• yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    When I first saw the pictures of the microfighters I told myself they were an instant buy. 
    Then I decided to just get the OT stuff, as I tried to collect the planet series and now regret it, was trying to limit that from happening again.
    Then I decided to find them on clearance cause they were everywhere.
    Then I decided to skip them.

Now I changed my mind and want them all and of course series 1 is gone, so the past week I've been in a scramble to find them, I have 3/6. lol

BTW @VorpalRyu That's some amazing work!I particularly like the Dark Aster. It was a pretty bland ship in the movie but I thought it was cool how you captured its appearance on that scale!
    @yys4u, thank you, it can be challenging to figure out how to recreate a vehicle in such small detail, you have to figure out what design elements are an integral part of what makes the design & what elements you can ignore, if any.

Speaking of Series 1, I've recently seen the left over stock from other Coles Group stores (Target/Kmart) have been dumped into some of the local Coles Supermarkets across Adelaide. Kind of was shocked to see they've done this especially since they're charging the full Australian RRP of $16.00.

I would suggest try Bricklink, I've seen them going for prices below the cheapest sales prices we got over here, just out of curiosity, which ones do you still need? 
    xiahna
    In Finland BR and Stockmann still have some of the series 1 Microfighters for 7€ and Prisma had them a few days ago for 6€. They weren't a hit product around here I guess.
  • Bricklover18Bricklover18 PA, USAMember Posts: 720
    If I can get them for $5 on clearance why not buy them.
    @VorpalRyu well I just got the clone turbo tank today so now I just need to hunt down the AAT and the star destroyer. I can't believe I forgot to check bricklink! I will definitely check it out and see if I can find those cheaper. I haven't used bricklink since the ownership changed. 
  • xwingpilotxwingpilot UKMember Posts: 797
    I like the Microfighters sets - they're an inexpensive way to get some iconic Star Wars vehicles and minifigures. They also don't require much space to display which is useful.

I'm not a completist - my LSW collection is gradually growing as I add certain OT sets. Here's my Microfighters collection so far - the X-wing (#75032) from Series 1 and the Hoth sets (#75074 and #75075) from Series 2.

As you can see I've added micro display stands too as a nod towards the UCS set they share a shelf with :)

Have there been any rumours about Series 3 yet?

^ Actually there is something I don't like about the Microfighters sets - flick-fire missiles :s
  • leetshoeleetshoe USAMember Posts: 255
    Yeah l also hate the flick missiles. l hate flick missiles on every set they are on. l know they are for kids but l can't help but think that if l were still a kid l'd hate them.
    ^ Actually there is something I don't like about the Microfighters sets - flick-fire missiles :s
    I don't mind them where they make sense aesthetically. Such as the Microfighter x-wing. But when they ruin the look of the set like the AT-AT microfighter, or just have no purpose being there what so ever, such as Weathertop #9472 then it really irritates me.  
    edited September 2015
    The great thing with the Microfighters, most of them can easily be modified to remove the flick-fire missiles. Personally, I've left mine as per the instructions, I'm not too bothered by them. With my designs, I've tried to make it so building them without the flick-fire missile wouldn't be too hard, including my Lego Ideas project (I know some people hate them).

Rumours are, we'll be getting four Rebels sets & two TFA sets... But I suspect that the codenames for the last two might be something else.
    xiahna
    edited September 2015
    yys4u said:
    I don't mind them where they make sense aesthetically. Such as the Microfighter x-wing. But when they ruin the look of the set like the AT-AT microfighter ... then it really irritates me.
    I agree, and it actually makes the other sets look infinitely better if you remove the red nose cones. However I also feel compelled to leave them as per the instructions. At least they're hidden on the Snowspeeder...
    VorpalRyu said:
    The great thing with the Microfighters, most of them can easily be modified to remove the flick-fire missiles. Personally, I've left mine as per the instructions, I'm not too bothered by them. With my designs, I've tried to make it so building them without the flick-fire missile wouldn't be too hard, including my Lego Ideas project (I know some people hate them).

Rumours are, we'll be getting four Rebels sets & two TFA sets... But I suspect that the codenames for the last two might be something else.
    Not sure how I feel about that seeing as how I haven't watched Rebels yet. Is it any good?

There's a lot they could still do from the movies. I still want an A-Wing vs. TIE Fighter (since they did the Interceptor already). Although I also badly want a UCS A-Wing.
    ^ I want to see a B-wing or Y-wing.
    And Darth Vader's TIE advanced would be interesting, too.
    edited October 2015
    I finally caved and reserved #75030 from Series 1 at RRP. I've also ordered some more black 3036 and 3940 parts to use as Microfighters stands.

^ Of the Series 3 sets that have been announced I think I'm only currently interested in #75128. I wonder which minifigure it will come with though?
    ^ I just realised that #75128 is billed as being a Rebels set, so does that mean the minifigure will be the Inquisitor rather than Darth Vader? I guess it's unlikely to be a TIE Fighter Pilot because we've had one before in Series 1...
    If its a TIE Pilot, expect they will vary the uniform at least a little, but I'd say it will likely be the Inquisitor.
    xiahna
    Well according to the latest list, it comes with another Tie Fighter Pilot.

And it looks like there aren't going to be any OT sets in Series 3 :(
  • xiahnaxiahna Member Posts: 156

I'm not surprised that they aren't doing anymore OT microfighters. The new movie is on the way and they want people to buy merch for that instead of reliving episodes IV V VI again and again. It makes sense from a marketing perspective.
    I'd love to see them expand the range to things outside of SW. I think there are already some great concepts out there. I'd be interested to see what the LEGO design team could come up with. 

VorpalRyu
    ^ Another of the many reasons why I did my MARVEL Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D Lego Ideas project, I was hoping that just making it into the review would spur TLG on to making sets for MARVEL & DC. Unfortunately, getting to the 10,000 supporters mark has proven much harder than I was lead to believe. Don't think I was expect it would be a post it up & wait a couple of days, a week, a month, but I wasn't expecting that it would be a such an uphill battle to get anyone to give me the time of day, let alone anything more.
    xiahna
    xiahna said:

I'm not surprised that they aren't doing anymore OT microfighters. The new movie is on the way and they want people to buy merch for that instead of reliving episodes IV V VI again and again. It makes sense from a marketing perspective.

Must. Resist. Starting. To. Collect. More. Than. OT...

^
    Only OT?   HA! Lets see how long that lasts. Did I already mention how epic Poe Dameron's X-Wing is?!

And I think we will definitely see his X-Wing in black and orange one day as a microfighter, and if not his then one of the other resistance X-Wings in white, grey, and blue.
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    ^ Rumor is that there will be two TFA microfighters in Jan. The blue and gray resistance x-wing and the First Order Snowspeeder.
  • aquapongaquapong ArizonaMember Posts: 6
    Some are cool little sets, some are lame.  To each his own.  They are cheap enough to get the ones you to build/display/play with and not worry about what others think.
    edited November 2015
    ^ Not unless TLG are going to release additional sets or have more than 6 in a series...
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    xiahna said:

It makes sense to make these models now, then when the hype is over go back to making OT sets that are the staple. So hopefully some more in the future. The lack of a slave 1 basically assures we will get another series.
    edited November 2015
    @MattsWhat TLG did do a version of Slave 1 for Celebration VI in 2012, so a Microfighters series version isn't very likely (but with them doing the Ghost for Series 3, it seems the chances may have increased just a little bit). The Celebration set is a nice build (it has become my favourite of exclusives) & http://shop.constructibles.net/ does a piece accurate reproduction of it for something like US$50-60.

Btw, added a few more Microfighters to my Microfighters album on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/cjblkcz/albums/72157652267209033.
    If anyone is interested in building them, I now have them up on my bricksafe account: http://bricksafe.com/pages/Vorpal/cjxmf.
    MynattTheBigLegoskitecjamxiahna
  • MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 581

Btw, added a few more Microfighters to my Microfighters album on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/cjblkcz/albums/72157652267209033.
    If anyone is interested in building them, I now have them up on my bricksafe account: http://bricksafe.com/pages/Vorpal/cjxmf.
    Those design concepts are amazing! Well done!

I am not a watcher of the TV series of star wars so I know that I won't be buying any of the Rebels ones. However I know that I will go after TFA ones. I love these little sets and need to brick link the ones that were from the Comic Cons.
    @Mynatt, I don't know how cost effective BrickLinking the exclusives are, but from memory, most of reproductions on Constructibles weren't too badly priced. I ended up buying the originals, partially because I wanted the instructions so I could scan them in & convert them to PDFs, which reminds me, still have to finish doing that...

Of the exclusives, I'd rate them the following way:
    1) Mini Slave I
    2) The Ghost
    3) Sith Infiltrator
    4) Luke's Landspeeder
    5) Jek-14 Mini Stealth Starfighter
    xiahna
    ^
    Only OT?   HA! Lets see how long that lasts.
    Yes.. well... given how uninspiring Series 3 is looking, I'm now considering buying #75072 and #75076 before they go EOL. I really shouldn't have re-watched the PT last week (by the way, Episode 1 is still a pile of Jar Jar).
    @xwingpilot
    You think so?!
    IMO Series 3 seems really great.
    2 ep.7 sets and 4 SW-rebels sets. And from what I could tell from the leaked pics someone posted on this forum (they have been removed), all of them look very nice.

It seems the 'la résistance' X-Wing pilot is a new minifig, with a different print on his helmet. Too bad the snowtrooper from the TFA snowspeeder does not seem to have that fabric piece of cloth for around his waist. Other than that it is the same figure, I think.

So if you don't care for the SW-Rebels mirco fighters, chances are you might still like the other two.

About the P-trilogy; I was never too bothered about all the slack people gave those films. The films provided plenty of visual delight, and a wonderful universe full of fascinating creatures, worlds, and spaceships, which kept me interested.  Of course IMO George Lucas should have done a lot of things differently, and probably have left the directing to someone else. All this could have improved the overall story much. Personally back at the time, when I had not yet seen ep.1 I hoped that Lucas would approach the prequels in a similar fashion as Francis Ford Coppola did with The Godfather II. After I saw The Phantom Menace, I have often wondered why Lucas never looked for inspiration and the best examples in film history to elevate his SW universe to true greatness. The Godfather: Part 2 has two parallel storylines, and went back and forth in time with lots of flashbacks to highlight the history and origins of both Vito and Michael Corleone. Jumping from New York in 1910 to America in the late fifties, as well as Sicily before that, and many point in time between. If George Lucas had only looked at how Coppola and Mario Puzo had done it, the origins of the Jedi, and how Anakin became Darth Vader, would have been a much more sweeping story. Instead we got Jarjar.
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 993
    ^ Valid points regarding the PT (assuming of course by this time it wasn't all about milking as much of that sweet, sweet merchandising coin that Lucas loves so much)
  • TitanArchTitanArch US-Iowa-DavenportMember Posts: 27
    @xwingpilot definitely add the ARC-170 and Republic Gunship to your OT MFs. I'm very particular about what I like from PT, so I was hesitant about adding them.

IMO, the RGS is fine (a little cutesy with the oversized engine pods, but it works, and the pilot is great) and the ARC-170 is pretty good. I put my MFs with the BP vehicles so it's a big good vs bad battle.
    Regarding the prequel trilogy, I've been rewatching them to show my fiance.

There's a lot of bad to them, sure, but there's also an awful lot of good subtle things in there that are great if you really watch and pay attention.

For example, in Episode II the Jedi librarian gets kind of angry when Obi-Wan says there should be a planetary system at the coordinates he was given. I've always felt like that was to show how arrogant the Jedi had become, as she claims there's no way it could exist if they don't have a record of it, and also complacent because the idea that it could have been deleted never crosses her mind.
  • Kevin_HyattKevin_Hyatt UKMember Posts: 778
    edited November 2015
    No JarJar? But he is The Phantom Menace!
    @TheBigLegoski 
    When I said that Series 3 looks uninspiring, I meant from the point of view of an OT collector. I'm desperately trying to stick with a sub-theme, hence not being enthused by the Rebels sets. #75128 (the Series 3 Tie Advanced Prototype) does look nice though (and it's also in the OT), but it's so similar to the Series 1 Tie Interceptor (it even has the same minifigure).

I agree that the PT back story (the Clones, the fall of Jedi and the rise of the Empire) is good, and the films do get better with each episode. I too saw the leaked photos (although not on Brickset), and I agree that #75125 (the Series 3 Resistance X-Wing) looks cool. I may have to make an exception for that, even though it's a TFA set ;)

@TitanArch
    Starting to collect PT sets is a slippery slope I'm not sure I should go down. The minifigures are probably what attracts me most to #75072 and #75076 anyway.

• thedingman5thedingman5 Great Lakes, USAMember Posts: 260
    ^ Faced with the same dilemma,  I weaseled out and just made "microfighters" the sub-theme to collect...
    edited November 2015
    Images for all 6 Series 3 Microfighters are now on the main site:

http://brickset.com/sets/theme-Star-Wars/subtheme-MicroFighters/year-2016

To me, #75125 doesn't look as good as #75032 from Series 1...
    VorpalRyu