Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What Have You Done To Your House To Accommodate Your Lego Hobby/Addiction?

Comments

• Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    What I would really like to find is a covered display case like the one in the link below, only 1/2 as deep with the shelves slightly more spaced apart from each other. I can stack minifigures three deep in this one, but can't see any minifigs behind the first row. Also, some minifigs are slightly taller (e.g., a typical Batman) than the space between the shelves, so they have to go in the top shelf that does have extra space.

I may have to take it upon myself to design something custom for Lego Minifigures.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Display-Case-for-Lego-Mini-Figures-and-Miniature-Collectibles-LGHW11-BLACK-/231523152750?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35e7daf36e

• SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,091
    ^ I may have posted this before, but I got five of these at $12.00 a piece.  I'm going to remove part of one of the shelves to accommodate the bigfigs.  

The figures have plenty of head clearance.  The shelves in the case in @Farmer_John 's post look a bit short to actually see the minifig head.  I doubt Batman or anyone with an axe or a staff would fit.

http://www.michaels.com/studio-decor-keepsake-display-case/10227067.html#q=keepsake&start=20
    jadedancElunemonkey_roo
  • aplbomr79aplbomr79 Member Posts: 159
    edited May 2015
    We are in the process of building a new home and one of top items on my WIFE's list is a place to store ("show") all of the LEGO.  Yes, she is amazing.  I outpunted my coverage when I married her  :)

So one of the Bedrooms on the foundation level (Basement) will be dedicated to LEGO.  My goal is to have the closet set up to store all the bins for the different LEGO that the kids play with.

My sets will be place along two walls of the room and the segregated piece bins will be along a third, short wall.

The Christmas sets will be set up during the Holidays in our Great Room.  SInce it is near a wood-burning fireplace, I will have to find a way to protect the sets.
    preveregmonkey76
  • JELJ1SJELJ1S Member Posts: 94
    I just finished putting up some Ikea Lack shelves in my loft.  They are about 11 feet worth.  I will be displaying all of my Modulars there.  I just have to dig out the built CC, GG, GE, FB and PS.  Then I'll be taking some weekends with the family to open and build the PR, TH, PC and MS.  DO is on the 2015 buy list so i'll get that sometime near the end of the year.

Ive come to the conclusion that I will never be selling sets so im over my hang up about opening the MS....I think!  We shall see.
    @aplbomr79 That is awesome you will have a dedicated Lego room.  We are in the process of desigining our Basement for finishing.  Im going to be doing the work myself so its probably 18 months out, but we will also have a dedicated Lego space.  Id love to see photos once you have your set up! 

• FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 992
    ^^ Sell your sealed market street and buy a used one. I got one for you..
  • superstarbeejaysuperstarbeejay Member Posts: 121
    My lego shed project is getting underway:Hopefully the walls and roof structure will be in place by the end of next week. Haven't even started thinking about how I am going to layout the interior.
    SumoLegoFarmer_JohnLordofLegoLegoboydafishcatwranglerRsa33Goldchains
    You're going to need a bigger boat...

TheLoneTensorBrickDancerLegoboygmonkey76LordofLegodougts
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,475

as a bonus, it's really easy to hang. the string goes through 2 2x1 modified plates with handles Inside the cockpit.

davetheoxygenman
  • VortexVortex Pakistan/USMember Posts: 342
    edited August 2015
    A lil corner dedicated to the Grand Empoium , which was finished recently with the help of my just turned "three "year old daughter. Amazingly she skipped the duplo phase  nearly entirely and has been playing with my regular Lego and minifigures even before she turned 2. 

Tried de to give the Mall an alive and lit up look . Does get a bit if attention from visitors 

Sorry about out duplicating the pics on another thread . Sometimes I'm just not entirely sure where these belong.
    Farmer_Johnhkcrazy88prevereLegoboydafishchuckpsid3windr
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    ^Very nice!
    Vortex
  • DevastatorDevastator Member Posts: 66
    I was think of displaying and storing my collection in the storage shed behind our new house. However Im in central Texas now and it's gonna be pretty hot in there. Does anyone know how the oppressive heat would effect display models? There are no windows for UV exposure...
  • sstoroesstoroe Member Posts: 156
    It will ruin the bricks.  You will need an airconditioner.

• DangermouseDangermouse Baker StreetMember Posts: 17

I converted an old kitchen cupboard to include mini figure storage for my Hobbit, LOTR and TNMT with my Harry Potter sets below.

Still a few Potter sets to go!!!!

Vortexkiki180703LegoboySumoLegoBrickarmordafishcatwranglerchuckphkcrazy88
  • BACbrixBACbrix AmericaMember Posts: 655
    @Legoboy I'll trade my wife and mother-in-law for the Taj Mahal.
    LegoboyBumblepantsTheLoneSumoCCCkiki180703SumoLegoAdeelZubairTyresOFlahertyGoldchains
    ^^ You need some more Lego promotional stuff for those walls!  

(I'm green with envy - that's an impressive Lego room!)

^ You should atleast get him to throw in the mini-modulars...
  • dafishdafish Copenhagen, not too far from BillundMember Posts: 35
    Wow I'm deeply impressed by the efforts displayed here to create all sorts of LEGO caves! Not to mention the richness of collections. Man we are an addicted community of builders. I attach our/my attempt to build a decent LEGO cave in our attic which I converted 20 years ago and which we now develop into the decent man cave for me after my retirement next year (if there will be any). Now waiting for the chilly and dark fall and winter days to populate it. the pic shows the construction work, will post more of the completed.
    Legoboykiki180703JenniFollowsCloselyBrickarmorFarmer_John
  • bok2bok2 Member Posts: 53
    Legoboy said:
    Thought it was time for an update.  Following my accident I've not been able to build much so what new you see built has been done my the kids.  Still, it's not stopped preparing.  Just one more op to go (I hope), rehab and then I'm back in the driving seat, ready to complete the Falcon.

Very impressive collection!
    Just curious - are those shelves a custom design? Does not look like IKEA or anything I know.
    Also, it appears the upper surface of the shelves is different from the front edge - is this something to protect the boxes from getting scratched?
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,769
    @bok2, - Yes, built them a couple of years ago over a weekend to suit both the room and the height of boxes.  The bottom shelves were lined with a cheap carpet and the top shelf with vinyl.

LegoTTkiki180703catwranglerhkcrazy88Cosworth3d
    @Legoboy, do you keep all the boxes? Amazing as they probably take a lot more space than the sets...
    that would definitely blow up my storage capacity...
    FollowsClosely
    You will eventually have to part with your boxes. You can't have your box and build the set too. It only scales so far.
      At first I kept boxes as well, after 300+ sets I ran out of room.
    TheLoneTensorJELJ1Sklatu003tallblocktoo
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited September 2015
    I do agree that a set's "completeness" is augmented by the box, but I generally find it to be an otherwise cumbersome and unnecessary thing when unloading a used (but otherwise complete) set.  In fact, any extra value the box has given me is usually offset by the additional shipping required to include it.  Sets can be condensed and packed nicely, but to add in the original box means a much larger box necessary to ship.

Instructions get filed away with the greatest of care.  Boxes go into the recycle bin.
    YodaliciousFollowsCloselyThanos75kiki180703dafishcatwranglerpharmjod
    edited September 2015
    the main issue with keeping the box would have been for me to prevent my boys from mercilessly ripping the box like chain saws, eager to access the content...
    FollowsCloselykiki180703
  • bok2bok2 Member Posts: 53
    Legoboy said:
    ^ A set is not complete without its box.  Ask anyone.  ;)
    Fully agree, I am also a boxaholic! If you do not keep the boxes, you do not collect sets, only bricks.
    I wonder, now when you even carpet your shelves to prevent shelf wear to your boxes, how do you open those boxes with the "tear corner"?
    oldtodd33
    edited September 2015
    ^ Well, you're right in that case, if you do not keep the boxes, then you do not collect sets, only bricks.

Me, I collect sets, and consider them sets in total, but don't keep the packing materials.
    Yodaliciouskiki180703dafishcatwranglerSalamalexklatu003tallblocktooPenkid11dougts
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    ^ Well, you're right in that case, if you do not keep the boxes, then you do not collect sets, only bricks.

Me, I collect sets, and consider them sets in total, but don't keep the packing materials.
    Brilliant. And I'm in that same boat. I don't keep the items that the sets were put in to get from LEGO to the store to me. 
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,769
    ^ Me neither. I too get rid of the shipping boxes and carrier bags.
    oldtodd33BrickDancerkiki180703
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,242
    I have in the past kept the shipping boxes, mostly to store Lego in as my living situation was temporary... I've since upgraded to plastic tubs so I can find things more easily, but I'm going to have to come up with another solution at some point.  I feel like my flat is in a constant state of flux though, but storage of Lego is a big part of that!
    hkcrazy88catwrangler
  • MattPetersenMattPetersen Florida, USAMember Posts: 282
    Until I'm in a house all I have done buy an IKEA glass display case to put some of my vehicles, buildings and minifigures in. 

When we move and I have the room, oh you bet I'll be doing something much cooler! 
    Legoboy said:
    ^ Me neither. I too get rid of the shipping boxes and carrier bags.
    Yeah, the Lego box = packing material to me, but you already knew that.
    SumoLego
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,854
    My partner has been working on renovating our attic every spare minute he gets lately, and I can actually foresee a time later this year when we'll be able to store the Lego up there and spread it out a bit! I mean, it's not intended as a Lego Room per se (we had in mind a painting studio for him, and some box storage, but it's certainly the natural place to work on a big project...
    I'm happy to announce that all the Lego is now in situ! :D The trestle table is currently occupied with Christmas present wrapping, but in the new year it will be a blank canvas. Later on I'm going to bring down the folders of instruction booklets so I can catalogue them on Brickset to celebrate. (What, I like organising things... :P)
    kiki180703
    edited December 2015
    @gratefulnat You have a great collection!  You.ve managed your space really well.  I am in the process of finishing our basement and will have a dedicated Lego room down there.  I hope to be able to start moving my sets in sometime in the summer!  What are the approximate dimensions of your room?  Id like to know just so I can get an idea of how mine will scale,  Thanks!! Keep Building!
  • gratefulnatgratefulnat SwitzerlandMember Posts: 277
    @JELJ1S
    Thanks. The room is 2.45m x 4.10m. By storing boxes in boxes in boxes you can really save quite a bit of space. The one thing I do miss is not having space to set up my trains, but only a few more years till my son moves out and then the big room will be available once again :-)
    Of course the bed takes up quite a bit of space as well, but do need it for guests every once and a while, so in theory quite a bit more shelving could be possible.

Good luck with your LEGO room endeavor - it is a great feeling when the room is finally finished and you shut the door and sit down and just enjoy!!
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 540
    I put some Lego in it.
    catwrangler
  • VortexVortex Pakistan/USMember Posts: 342
    edited December 2015
    @gratefulnat
    That is a Great collection , and what's better it was all built up and not in sealed boxeS.

The thoroughness of the SW UCS is expecially astounding. I did spot the box of the SSD so I'm assuming it was placed elsewhere . The only item I'm surprised to not be able to locate is not the B-wing , it's the gorgeous #10212 Imperial Shuttle . I'm sure you have it stuffed somewhere. If not I'm very curious ,how ?
  • gratefulnatgratefulnat SwitzerlandMember Posts: 277
    @Vortex
    Yup, sealed boxes have a short shelf-life in my house :-)

The SW display picture was actually taken in November 2010, so that's why the more recent UCS sets are missing.

10212 is boxed up again, hidden between the wall with the window and the large cupboard (along with 10195 and a few other boxes). But yes, I do have all the UCS sets, actually have all the SW sets minus a few promos, polybags & comic cons etc.
    Used to need 'em all, but don't worry about it anymore! Plus, if ever do want the missing ones, I can get in touch with the folks who do keep sets sealed for exactly that purpose.

Sometime down the road I hope to have them all back on display, hopefully with glassed-in shelving. Nice to dream about!
    Vortex
  • Patrik78Patrik78 Member Posts: 142
    Nothing I can do :( I have all my sets boxed, building one or two keeping them on display for a couple of days/weeks and put them back into zip bags, boxes and locker :) Cannot resist the hobby though :) On the bright side - the bricks of all my sets are free from dust and discoloration :)
  • LordmoralLordmoral Puerto RicoMember Posts: 704
    I am actually saving some cash to build a house of my own with room for improvement in the event more rooms for people are needed (but just right now I will only need space: for one person and a kitchen, living room and Lego Cave, survival gear room.
    kiki180703SumoLego
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,125
    ^no toilet? : )
    SumoLegokiki180703
    If you have a survival gear room, a toilet is a secondary luxury.

Gotta have priorities!
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,901
    edited January 2016
    I haven't done much to my house, but I have done my part to keep the Ziploc company in business. 
    Ziploc and Sterilite.
    kiki180703klatu003Goldchains
    Recce said:
    Didn't really do anything to my house, I just let the sets accumulate and accumulate until not much space left.
    That is a bIt past overboard. 
  • Kevin_HyattKevin_Hyatt UKMember Posts: 778
    Just in middle of loft conversion!
    ^^  I like a blt from time to time.  But I really prefer a reuben.
    Kevin_Hyattkiki180703