Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO 6864 Why so expensive?

Batman07Batman07 Garden GroveMember Posts: 6
I'm a batman collector with anything lego but can anyone tell me why this set goes for over a hundred dollars on ebay?? Is it worth that much now for the set?

Comments

• hoodaddyhoodaddy USMember Posts: 317
    supply and demand.  It is a retired set, has a relatively unique version of the batmobile, and has a unique villain.  Is it worth that much? depends on how much someone wants it..
  • Batman07Batman07 Garden GroveMember Posts: 6
    I just bought a packaged set of both the newer verison of the batcave and jokerland for 190 on ebay and couldn't believe the price added nearly to the batcave. Thank you for clearing that up for me!
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,462
    that's how it works, we always want to get big money when we sell while we expect to pay as little as possible when buying.
    Pitfall69
  • MattPetersenMattPetersen Florida, USAMember Posts: 282
    Yep, that's generally what kills a hobby (especially for kids). 
  • BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 757
    ^ Chasing retired sets kills ahobby for kids? Really?
    madforLEGOMasterBeefyvitreolum
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,840
    This set never really interested me, I thought the orange and purple Two Face looked strange compared to the white and black one.
  • solid_stridersolid_strider TexasMember Posts: 206
    The Batmobile in this set is my favourite minifig-scale version, I was lucky to get one on the cheap well after it retired.  I don't have either one, but while I like the black and white Two Face over this orange and purple version, I appreciate the throwback to a more classic outfit.
    ModulaR
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 545
    Since when is 2x RRP for a retired desirable set considered unusual?
    prevere
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 651
    I think it kind of affects the hobby for kids because it makes things pretty much unattainable for them that they might really want. But there are alternatives to paying high aftermarket prices, if you're lucky. If you can find people selling Lego lots at garage sales or flea markets you might be able to find some good stuff for a good deal. 
    MattPetersenModulaR
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    I think it kind of affects the hobby for kids because it makes things pretty much unattainable for them that they might really want. But there are alternatives to paying high aftermarket prices, if you're lucky. If you can find people selling Lego lots at garage sales or flea markets you might be able to find some good stuff for a good deal. 
    Or just focus on any of the approximately 1000 sets that are always currently available at or below MSRP
    natro220MasterBeefyOmastarUKtsumipreveresnowhitiegmonkey76
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    ^I think the big determinant are parents/kids that may want a specific figure or set. So something like Two-Face was available a few years ago and hasn't been redone, yet many others have been put into multiple sets...yet when they do that, people complain because they already have it, even though not everyone has that figure.

I agree to look at currently available sets if you don't want to pay ridiculous prices later, but they don't always have the same figures/ideas out there at any given time.
    ModulaR
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,707
    edited August 2015
    While not a huge fan of Resellers, the reasoning is that resellers make it harder for folks to find an 'affordable' set in the aftermarket is wrong, absolutely wrong.
    While not cheap now to get a MISB one, do people really think that they would be cheaper in the aftermarket with less supply?
    How about people blame LEGO as they have had one set recently with Two face?
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,185
    The set retailed at $50 back in 2012 and Bricklink has some listings for $85. That's barely a $10 rise per year. The set with Deadpool is the one to talk about...
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,898
    Especially with the movie coming out
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,405
    ^The Deadpool movie is rated 'R' correct? I do not see Lego making Deadpool sets based off the movie, but they may make another set from the comics. If they don't, I see that set skyrocketing in the near future. 
    pharmjod
  • ModulaRModulaR USMember Posts: 39
    ^In addition to being rated R, the X-Men connection seems to reduce the likelihood of a set.
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    While not a huge fan of Resellers, the reasoning is that resellers make it harder for folks to find an 'affordable' set in the aftermarket is wrong, absolutely wrong.
    It's just one of many arguments where people conveniently ignore the context.

Once a set is retired, then the increased number of sets held by resellers is likely to mean that the price is lower. Otherwise, people who missed the set would have to rely on the availability of genuinely second-hand sets. Hen's teeth come to mind.

The other side of the coin is that resellers reduce the availability of cheap current sets. As LEGO is often considered relatively expensive, that means resellers do indeed make it harder to find an 'affordable' set.

FWIW 'aftermarket' is the wrong word to apply to resellers.
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,185
    ^ I think reseller is good also for Comic Con exclusives. Imagine if every attendee kept the exclusives or sold them to a few professional resellers at the convention.