Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

CMF series 14 / Halloween Monsters

Comments

• pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    edited July 2015
    Not sure who had first, but this was found on brick picker. Nm. Can't add link on mobile.  Full figure sheet is out.
     Looks like the brickfan has the sheet.

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,105
    pharmjod said:
    Not sure who had first, but this was found on brick picker. Nm. Can't add link on mobile.  Full figure sheet is out.
     Looks like the brickfan has the sheet.

It has been on brickset.com for a while today as well http://brickset.com/article/15935/cmf-series-14-collector-sheet-found

edited July 2015
    Thanks. I looked briefly but didn't see the thread and I rarely ever go to the main page. That's sad actually.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,942
    I thought this series was going to be a pass for me, but I quite like the little gargoyle.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,645
    He's not a gargoyle, he's a grotesque ...

Toc13
  • Lego_StarLego_Star ... in a galaxy far, far away.Member Posts: 2,147
    ^ And we learn something new every day! ;)

From a thread about the release of the Louvre set to this one reminding me of Notre Dame. Seems brickset is taking me on a virtual tour of Parreee! (Paris) this morning! Time for croissants! :)
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited July 2015
    Maybe so, but if I ever corrected someone by saying "That is actually a grotesque, not a gargoyle," the person would look at me with the same disgust as if I said "They are actually called Lego bricks, not legos."

Btw, the Banshee, sweet.
    matticus_bricksSumoLegoRonyar
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 651
    ^Agreed, the Banshee is easily the winner for me. I'm now super excited for this series - I think I might have to buy all of them in one purchase this time!
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,421
    Funnily enough @TheLoneTensor I knew the difference before @CCC mentioned it, but realised that to most people the difference is irrelevant so thought it wasn't worth pointing out.
    pharmjod
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,942
    Is that a QI clip? You know, almost all the 'facts' on QI are proven wrong within a year...:-P
    andhe
    @plasmodium - their science ones are normally the worst ones, most of the history ones aren't too bad.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,645
    The science ones are usually down to new / better knowledge.
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,539

the fly is the best. maybe we can make an insect mutant http://timesplitters.wikia.com/wiki/Insect_Mutant

the pirate is actually pretty cool too, printed peg leg is very nice.

• hkcrazy88hkcrazy88 USA/ItalyMember Posts: 163
    I actually like more of these than I thought I would. And I'm over the moon about the pumpkin trick-or-treat bag the skeleton has, it's too stinkin cute!
    edited July 2015
    Random musings:

Not that I don't love zombies, but this seems a smidgen too zombie heavy.  It's kinda cheating creatively when you just add a zombie in front of something and poof, new thing!  I feel they are taking up the space of something better.  We really didn't need a zombie pirate, and certainly not another zombie businessman.  I kinda wish they went full out on a series that was only zombies, then did a Halloween one also.  I certainly would have enjoyed that more than Simpsons 2.0.
    • Werewolf: How many of these do we need?  It's a great looking figure though
    • Pirate: Not very inspired, but still a good looking fig
    • Scientist: I can't get past his head.  What is the deal with that?  Between that and his googly eyes, he will not be in my Halloween display
    • Witch: Not bad, for yet another witch, at least she comes with a black cat which makes her awesome
    • Plant guy: Love him, very creative
    • The Fly: His claw hand makes him the most brilliant of the lot
    • The Ghost: Such potential, but at least he has a classic ghost chain.  Still, I'd rather have it be actually scary & spooky (as far as is possible with Lego).  This guy looks like he belongs in some preschool Halloween special.  I will likely be turning his head completely around to look better.  Btw, does his head glow?  It looks like his head glows
    • Cheerleader: If we had to have at least one zombie, let it be her, she's awesome
    • Cat Girl: Nice.  Plus, for the guy who asked about the cat+whip, Catwoman (Batman) is very known for her whip
    • Gargoyle: Not bad.  But, if they actually have the concrete speckles on the legs arms and wings (which I don't think they do), he is upgraded to good
    • Skeleton: Why not go all the way with a concept?  Where's the front leg printing?  The pumpkin bucket rules in any event
    • Frank Rocker: Now that's creative.  I love it
    • Zombie businezzzzzzzzzzz
    • Banshee: The tears are great.  Also, does she possibly glow too?  How great would that be?
    • Bigfoot: Great, and the camera is a great gag.  He could use more fur printing though
    • Spider Woman: Great, really great
    Lastly, this set looks extremely easy to feel for, which is one of the other things I didn't like about the Simpsons (both of them).
    SumoLegoRainstorm26
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 316
    I never thought being easy to feel for was a bad thing, as I've had too many frustrations with past series. 
    ReesesPieces
    ^It may be bad in that some people will easily pick out all of the rare ones, or whichever are the most popular. 

Also, can someone please explain why the fly would have a claw hand? I'm liking the red claw as potential for a custom Zoidberg minifig, but I'm not really sure what it's doing there. 
    Galactus
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,581
    @TheLoneTensor  Wasn't the last witch we had released in 2010 from series 2 and also in a Halloween pack in 2012? So, 3 years at least and for kids an eternity. Also, the last werewolf was from 2012 in a series that's long gone, so new, younger kids can now get one and don't have to buy inflated Ebay prices.  I'm thinking this is the best series of all of the CMF line myself.  

I don't quite understand the tall headed scientist either but he's crazy enough looking to go in my HH this year. 
  • tratclifftratcliff Member Posts: 13
    @matticus_bricks The Fly (1958) An inventor creates a teleportation machine, but a fly is in the chamber when he tests it, and comes out half human half fly (a fly's head and claw)
  • tomahawkertomahawker Member Posts: 185
    @matticus_bricks
    In the classic movie, "The Fly", the scientist get's a fly's claw hand and head when a fly is caught with him in his teleporter.

http://www.rowthree.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/The-Fly.jpg

TheLoneTensorklatu003red5andhe
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,375
    Looking forward to setting up a scene where the series 11 yeti is taking a picture of bigfoot.
    GoldchainsPitfall69SumoLego
  • chuxtoyboxchuxtoybox Member Posts: 711
    You can never have too many werewolves! (Werewolves are my favorite monster.) He has the best printing to date on a molded werewolf head. As much as I hate them, shouldn't he have those big claws instead of that bone? This one has a tail too! Werewolves have come a long way since the HP Shrieking Shack.

Pirate's cool but I don't like that beard in general on any minifig. At least they seem to be making new zombie faces for each incarnation of zombie.

Witch seems very plain.

Plant guy. Looks more like a guy who's in dismay over having to wear a costume that looks like a plant than a guy who's been eaten by a plant.

Not really digging the claw on the fly. Either give him 2 or none. I'd opt with none. He's a fly not a crab.

Specter's  got a weird expression. His chains remind me of Jacob Marley. That would have been cooler than another zombie. A minifigure that looks like the ghost of Jacob Marley even though we don't officially call him Jacob Marley like we can't officially call the George Washington minifig George Washington. 

Cheerleader. Seems to have a new zombie face.

You may not know this but the tiger lady is actually wearing body paint and a belt.

Gargoyle's cool. That's right I said GARGOYLE. I don't see the need for the short legs, though.

I agree that the skeleton should have legs printed on the front, maybe even more so than the side.

The Monster is cool but still sort of a phoned in design like the zombies.

Why is the zombie businessman still holding his suitcase? So we know he's a businessman?

Banshee will probably look better in person.

Bigfoot's cool.

Spider lady one of the best but I think I actually like the werewolf the best over all. 

Still want all of them.

I wonder if they will do an all winter/Christmas theme next?
    They should have given us a "Ghost of Jacob Marley" and "Ghost of Christmas Future" in this series and "Scrooge" , "Ghost of Christmas Present" and "Ghost of Christmas Past" in the next series. Actually they should just make the whole next series "A Christmas Carol" themed.

Brilliant!
    A minifigure that looks like the ghost of Jacob Marley even though we don't officially call him Jacob Marley like we can't officially call the George Washington minifig George Washington.
    We have a George Washington minifig? :)
    BACbrixSumoLego
  • BACbrixBACbrix AmericaMember Posts: 655
    I believe the series 10 minifigure revolutionary soldier is the implied George Washington.  If he was being sarcastic then forget I ever commented. 
    edited July 2015
    @tratcliff @tomahawker Thanks for the clarification! What a cool little reference! No doubt this will go over the heads of most kids though. I'm 21 and had never heard of this film. 

My its kind of odd that they can't call the George Washington minifig George Washington (And for that matter Julius Caesar, Cleopatra and Hamlet - I'm sure there are others) when there were no problems with Abraham Lincoln and William Shakespeare. 
  • Rolyat24Rolyat24 PA, USAMember Posts: 41
    TheLoneTensor said:
    • Skeleton: Why not go all the way with a concept?  Where's the front leg printing? 
    Hasn't this been a problem on all minifigures in recent years? Despite being able to print on the arms, feet, sides of the legs, and virtually everywhere else on a minifig, the bottom half of the front of the legs are always left blank. Usually it's not a big deal, but there have been too many instances like this where it was overly obvious. I'm surprised TLG hasn't done more to fix this by now.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know what's up with the banshee's hair? Is it a new element? I'm having trouble making it out. 
  • LordofLegoLordofLego Member Posts: 311
    @TheLoneTensor @Rolyat24 I heard somewhere that they were meant to be Normal minifigures in Halloween costumes. It would explain the skeleton and the zombies(sorta) as well as the scientist. It would raise a few questions about the to ghostly ones. I personally like to think that the Bigfoot one is the real Bigfoot pretending to be someone in a costume...
    GalactusSethro3
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,316
    @matticus_bricks, look at the time-frames of the minifigs, Lincoln & Shakespeare were done for TLM, where the others were prior regular CMF series, think TLG were nervous of a backlash for getting it wrong, history buffs can be rather nasty about inaccuracies at times.

As for the Fly, the 1958 original was good for its day, still watch-able (if like me, you don't mind black & white movies), but the 1986 remake with Jeff Goldblum is my preferred version to watch in this case, but be warned, the 86 version is seriously more graphic.
    gmonkey76xiahna

My its kind of odd that they can't call the George Washington minifig George Washington (And for that matter Julius Caesar, Cleopatra and Hamlet - I'm sure there are others) when there were no problems with Abraham Lincoln and William Shakespeare. 
    If you wish to find out why I mentioned the "George Washington" minifig read this thread:
    http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/20438/collectible-minifigures-historical-chronology#latest

ME SARCASTIC? NAWWW! (holds up sign that says "SARCASM") >:)
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,430
    Do people think this marks the start of 'themed' CMF series'?

Do you think we likely to see a series of space/historical/sports/animal suits etc etc in the future?
    edited July 2015
    I suspect not. There might be others series that are themed, but it would likely be if there is something significant to tie it to. These ones are obviously being released with Halloween in mind - I can't think of another celebration/holiday that the same thing would work for. They might try a christmas theme, but short of lots of repeats I can't think of enough different figures - at least not without violating the no religious themes...I would actually love a LEGO nativity series, but mainly to get more animals ;-)
    ^throw a few zombies in there and I'm sure you could get 16 'winter'/christmas themed figs... zombie santa?
    SumoLego
    As lazy as the Zombie whatever is, it shows how easy it is for them to do a monster series. And to be fair if you've been to a Halloween party in the past few years the CMF line probably reflects a similar trend to the amount of random Zombie whatever costumes people wear.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Or does it show how hard it was for them to do a themed series, that they had to resort to a number of similar figures?
    An argument could be made for that, but I suspect it's more to do with having monsters that have a certain mass appeal. They could have done another Minotaur (at worse a Mrs Minotaur like that awful female cyclops) but the Zombies are at least individual to a certain point and have a much wider mass appeal.

Also it's clearly been done to tie in with halloween, so while I personally would have loved some of the most obscure creatures - particularly more from different cultures such as Kappa from Japan or Wendigo from some Native American traditions - I realise that most people wouldn't have a clue what they were and wouldn't get the impulse halloween buy market.
    VorpalRyuLind_Whisperer
    Have we seen a bride of Frankenstein character yet?
    andhe
    edited July 2015
    ^Made me think of Marge Simpson. I wonder if a Simpsons treehouse of horror series is a given if the Simpsons license continues in popularity.
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 2,064

With the Simpsons I feel we need one more normal series to give us the key people we are missing and then a treehouse of horror would be great but with Disney coming (maybe?) who know if we will get any more.

I definitely wouldn't say it's a given, it's a possibility, but I think unlikely. Given that design and development for these takes over a year, I'd imagine they'd want to see if the Monsters series does well before potentially repeating it, so if they were to do a Treehouse of Horrors series I wouldn't expect it until 2017.

Personally I don't expect it at all, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Simpsons figures continue for a few more series, but I think LEGO are more likely to include key THoH characters, such as Kang and Kodos, or main Family variants, such as Stretch Dude and Clobber Girl, in the regular line
    andhe
  • GalactusGalactus NLMember Posts: 259
    tratcliff said:
    @matticus_bricks The Fly (1958) An inventor creates a teleportation machine, but a fly is in the chamber when he tests it, and comes out half human half fly (a fly's head and claw)
    @matticus_bricks
    In the classic movie, "The Fly", the scientist get's a fly's claw hand and head when a fly is caught with him in his teleporter.

http://www.rowthree.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/The-Fly.jpg

I've only seen The Fly with Jeff Goldblum (1986) and I don't recall him having such a claw hand, that's why the fly minifig hand struck me as weird at first. So thanks for the clarification @tratcliff and illustration @tomahawker.
    gmonkey76
  • GalactusGalactus NLMember Posts: 259
    Shib said:
    As lazy as the Zombie whatever is, it shows how easy it is for them to do a monster series. And to be fair if you've been to a Halloween party in the past few years the CMF line probably reflects a similar trend to the amount of random Zombie whatever costumes people wear.
    My kids don't trick-or-treat nor go to Halloween parties (and are too young for scary movies), but zombies are well incorporated in their play. They also like to play a fair share of video games based on zombies. I don't think it's a weird or bad choice of LEGO to put this many zombies in the pack.
    Shib
  • BACbrixBACbrix AmericaMember Posts: 655
    Zombie Billy Mays came to my door last year. Kind of messed up to zombify an actual passed person. But yes zombies are the new trend. The 80s and 90s were aliens and now it is the zombie. 
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,539
    aliens are cool. they come with weird molded heads like that fly
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    BACbrix said:
    The 80s and 90s were aliens and now it is the zombie. 
    Yep, we used to have to imagine supreme intelligence existing somewhere, now we just admit we're all brainless. ;)

FWIW, this is the first CMF series that I'll have to have them all. I've picked a few from each since CMF 8 and grabbed a few old ones too, but this series is right up my alley.
    BACbrixSumoLegoToc13LordofLegoGoldchains
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,290
    I'm actually not all that into monsters... but I really like the way this set is shaping up.  Was thinking about passing on Series 14 altogether but maybe not so much anymore!  Also, I really, REALLY want multiple ghosts if he glows.  
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    I would say with 99% accuracy that the ghost does not glow. It looks like the new Spring Yellowish Green color they are using for Ninjago, which does not glow. It just resembles glowing, which is cheaper for LEGO I'm sure and works out just the same. Although glowing is an interesting feature in other characters/pieces.

And I can't wait to pick these up. Although, I still think the cat lady is my favorite.
    andhe
    BumblepantsPitfall69TXLegoguy
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,686
    My Favourite - Minifigures, Series 14

• SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 570
    Dear Brickset,

Take a good long look at the Zombie Cheerleader, because it's going to be a while before you get hold of one.

Signed,
    SilentMode
    GothamConstructionCoLostInTranslation