Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

CSV export

davejburdavejbur Member Posts: 7
Hi,

Sorry if this is the wrong category, but it was this or "Database"!

I keep my collection list in Brickset (because it's easy) but like to use Rebrickable for its "Sets you can build" feature. So I frequently export my current collection list from Brickset as a CSV file, then import it into Rebrickable. That used to work fine (other than the odd set that got dropped due to it being differently numbered - 255 Farming Scene being one example).

However, the CSV export file recently seems to have acquired additional columns, which aren't recognised by Rebrickable. In fact, it's currently telling me I've got 1000 each of 8527, 8094, 8035. If I had that many Mindstorms sets I'd be selling most of them and buying everything else I could get my hands on:-)

I'm not sure whose problem this is - Brickset's for changing the format, Rebrickable's for not doing so, or mine for trying to use both systems...!

Anyone else had the same issue?
Thanks!
Dave

Comments

• LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,696
    No, you're dead right, I noticed a few weeks ago the format of the Brickset's spreadsheet had changed.

I regularly export the spreadsheet from BS and then copy and paste the updated rows into my own customised spreadsheet (based on Brickset's original format). Brickset's new format however is no longer compatible with my customised spreadsheet.
  • magrimagri UKMember Posts: 157
    You can use the option 'Import Brickset Sets via Web Services' under 'My Sets' on Rebrickable.

You just provide your Brickset account details when prompted and it imports them for you. I think it asks if you want to save the details too for future use.
  • davejburdavejbur Member Posts: 7
    Legoboy - thanks, glad it's not just me!

Magri - I know, but I'm not at all keen on the idea of providing login details for an account on one website to another. Facebook wants me to do it, LinkedIn wants me to do it (both of which I refuse), I'm just hoping there's a way of working with Brickset that doesn't need it!

Dave
  • masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 456
    too bad theres no Oauth based login at the Rebrickable end since that would have solved the password issue (OAuth login doesn't transfer password to the external site using the system (login via google/etc on the forum here is done that way) )
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,414
    Sorry for the late reply. I'm not sure what changed in the CSV export but I will investigate. But as has been said the best way to keep accounts at both sites in-sync is to provide your Rebrickable login details here and have the web services take care of updating Rebrickable automatically for you.
    Hi Huw, did you ever manage to have a look at making the CSV format compatible with rebrickable again? I note that the brickset one's now further changed, with some columns added, some deleted, so I don't really know what rebrickable is expecting any more!

(Oh, and just to be really annoying, the new set number format (e.g. 5218-1) can in some cases (e.g. 8-1, 30-1) get seen by Excel's ever-so-wonderful trying-to-be-clever "function" as dates, and turned into 08/01/2015 & 30/01/2015...:-) )
    OK, it seems it's only one column change since December - Number & Variant has been combined into one column. But still a change further away from what Rebrickable is expecting :-)
    That was done to make it compatible with the ACM export, to enable the tables to be combined/compared.

You shouldn't need to manually export to rebrickable any more: you can send them over via web services and keep your collection here and there in sync here
    Thanks Huw - as I said before, I don't like giving sign in details for one site to another site!
    Is there any way there couldn't be two CSV export links - one ACM, one Rebrickable?

Better still, I'll ask Nathan to change his end to deal with the new format.
    Excellent service from Nathan at Rebrickable -- he's changed his end already.

Hopefully it'll work for you now.
    Great stuff, works perfectly now:-)
    Thanks very much to both you and Nathan!