Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego Trains in your Garden

GossyF1GossyF1 BerkshireMember Posts: 16
Having recently bought the cargo train set, I'm now thinking of extending the layout to use out side in the garden where there is more space. Has anyone tried this or tips for doing it. Have seen a few videos on YouTube of trains running in gardens and they look great. 

Comments

• TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited July 2015
    I tried this...once...

Based on the plants you have and Lego's train scale (Between HO and O), the trains will look either good or way too small.  Have them run near a tree or through tall grass, they will look way out of place.  Have them go through a flower garden, they would look great.

Structures and track - these will get dirty, dirtier than they would ever sitting even inside the dustiest house.  Dirty track will kill traction on even the slightest grade (and outside land is rarely level).

Mechanical maintenance - prepare to regularly replace wheels, motors, axles, etc.  These things were not designed to work outside.  Dirt, water, spider webs and insect life will get in to everything, and will eventually destroy every moving part.

PF infrared doesn't work all that well in bright sunlight, or at distance, two things that there are a lot of outside.
    GossyF1
  • PeteMPeteM Gallifrey (near Bristol)Member Posts: 421
    Other people may have more advice, but you could start with these two topics from the Eurobricks Train Tech forum:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=86046

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=76081
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Also, speaking from a train and Lego enthusiast perspective, you might want to instead consider going with a nice LGB G scale set.  They are much better suited (size, durability, etc.) for such things.
  • GossyF1GossyF1 BerkshireMember Posts: 16
    Thanks for the advice guys, the other links had great info too, now lots to think about. Maybe I should just persuade the wife to buy a bigger house where I can have a dedicated lego room. 
    pharmjodalexwiloldtodd33
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 723
    ^Trust me.  Even a dedicated Lego room will not solve the problem of space and trains.  They need a TARDIS.
    TheLoneTensorpharmjodGossyF1Pitfall69MrShinyAndNewgmonkey76PeteMGalactus
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,634
    Display at an event. That's what I do with my trains. When they're at home, they're all packed away. By the end of this year I should have more than enough track to display even in the biggest areas. Except points. I still need cheap points...