Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

How long do you think City will continue?

choob99choob99 Member Posts: 147
edited December 2011 in Collecting
I only collect City and wondering what the other AFOL's here think about its length of life, there are tons and tons of other things they could still do with it, but will they is the question?

Comments

• MartinMartin Member Posts: 375
    Given that it's been around as a theme forever, I doubt it will ever retire (although it has had many names in the past). There are always variations on it and the sub-themes come and go, but I suspect Town/City will always be around.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,245
    Town/City/World...as I see it, we still have Burg/Shire/Ville/Planet to look forward to. :o)
  • Silber334Silber334 Member Posts: 147
    I think it's one of the main Lego themes with great popularity aside from the Licensed products. It better not die!
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,704
    Forever, or at least as long as the LEGO company does.
  • masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 530
    That will stay 4ever. Im sure because this is one of the core lines where money is sure. They will sell sure ==> Theme stays.
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    Hmmm, someone has not been collecting Lego very long ;)
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    We'll have the City theme until Rapture. But we could see a re-branding of it. In the 80s it was known as "Town", now "City", and of course there are dozens and dozens of subthemes.

The creative question is what new subthemes is Lego cooking up for the next few years?
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    I would love to see a powerplant, tree-trimming crew, dog catcher, restaurants (multiple styles), "local" museum (and a big-time Modular Series museum), aquarium, zoo, school/university. It just sees funny that these basic city fundamentals have still yet to be done...i.e. zoo & school.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    If you want to see some wish lists for new City sets/themes, check out this thread:
    http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/2544/new-city-themes
  • devilheaddevilhead Member Posts: 282
    Indefinitely.
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,038
    As others have said; City is a staple line of LEGO. It will never be retired. Why would it be? It represent daily life. I actually read an article (I think it was in BrickJournal) that LEGO City is by far the best-selling line in Europe.
  • The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    I also only collect City, and some Star Wars exclusives. My City table is a 8 foot by 16 foot table. If the City line disappears, then all my hard work finishing my basement and creating the custom table is gone!
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,285
    City is a cornerstone of LEGO, it will not go away.
    ^^ Agreed. One of the most popular themes.
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    @The_Brick_Builder, custom table?? Please elaborate :) And I also like to collect as many City items as possible and agree with @madforlegos :)
  • choob99choob99 Member Posts: 147
    I should have clairified better, I know "city" will never go away, I just meant the theme with the name CITY,, I just meant how long til you think it will be re-branded under a different name
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    ^^ Agreed. One of the most popular themes.
    The single best-selling LEGO theme, actually.
    I should have clairified better, I know "city" will never go away, I just meant the theme with the name CITY,, I just meant how long til you think it will be re-branded under a different name
    I don't think it will be re-branded anytime soon, if ever. The change from Town to City Center to World City to City came during a very tumultuous time at LEGO when it really didn't even know what it was doing.
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,407
    Following the lines rebranding over the years from Town to City, do you think we will see a Conurbation branding anytime soon :)
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    The single best-selling LEGO theme, actually.
    Really? Not Star Wars?
  • ThegoThego UKMember Posts: 264
    Given that the theme has currently taken up tenure in more rural areas and it is still going under the 'City' moniker, I can't see them changing it at all.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    my only wish for city is more shops, cafes, homes, and other commercial and residential type items. My city can only have so many police, robbers and fire fighters running around
  • proraptorproraptor Member Posts: 13
    Lego city/town etc have been out way longer than star wars not to mention appeals to everyone......There is no way star wars is bigger.
    edited December 2011
    ^ I wasn't suggesting it was bigger. I was suggesting it is the best-selling. Currently the best-selling, to be more specific. And actually, I would say best-selling is a rate, not a total, so possibly best-selling of all time.
    I think Star Wars is the number one most popular/famous LEGO theme, and City is number two.
  • proraptorproraptor Member Posts: 13
    edited December 2011
    I still dont think that star wars appeals to that big of an audience compared to lego city that appeals to pretty much everyone. Ill bet star wars is second and POTC is third
    ^ The best-selling theme is the one that commands the highest rate of sales. It doesn't matter how broad or narrow the appeal is, how popular it is, or how famous or well-known it is (although theses things most certainly do correlate with rate of sales). I don't know what the best-selling theme is, but I do know that the introduction of the Star Wars theme helped TLG avoid financial ruin. Star Wars must have a good deal of sales and I do suspect it may actually be the best-selling theme. As for City appealing to everyone, that is not true. I know of people who exclusively collect the Star Wars theme. City does not appeal to them.
  • BTHodgemanBTHodgeman Member Posts: 622
    I think people "think" that Star Wars is what everyone wants to receive as a gift.

I collect absolutely NO Star Wars and have zero interest in it... but when I receive LEGO as a gift, it almost always includes Star Wars items of some sort...

Brent
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    edited December 2011
    LEGO publishes an annual report and every year, City is the best selling LEGO theme. Star Wars is popular, but a niche nonetheless that lacks the universal appeal of City.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,835
    ^ I too am surprised by that statement. I understood it was licensing and SW that saved TLG from going under, not 'City' that was around whilst TLG were on their way down. And like Brent said, if my kids receive LEGO pressies from anyone, they almost certainly involves SW.
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,407
    I am sure I read an article in the guardian (UK broadsheet) a few months back that said that SW and HP lines were the two biggest selling lines in recent times and where singled out for contributing to the companies current success?
  • BTHodgemanBTHodgeman Member Posts: 622
    edited December 2011
    @flump6523 - It is possible that there was a synergistic effect when Star Wars came out (i.e. current "City" customer crossed over and bought Star Wars sets, and "new" Star Wars customers cross over and bought more of the other product lines.)

Also, whatever LEGO may say about licensing fees, I'm not buying that the fees are the sole reason for the increased prices of licensed sets. I feel that LEGO can give the reason of "licensing" for the increased cost, but more than builds those fees into the sets, thereby allowing a higher margin.

Also, one may be the "biggest selling" line based on sales and another based on units? That could be some of the confusion.

Just my 2 cents!

Brent
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    LEGO publishes an annual report and every year, City is the best selling LEGO theme. Star Wars is popular, but a niche nonetheless that lacks the universal appeal of City.
    Yep and it also typically includes the single best-selling set. A few years ago it was one of the City fire stations, if I recall correctly (a set I found horrible). A friend of mine who is a big Star Wars fan and so are his kids recently started buying Lego for his children. The first set they wanted was a fire truck. The second set was a space shuttle. I suspect he's not alone even amongst Star Wars fan parents.

• choob99choob99 Member Posts: 147
    I like the look of the star wars lego, but just started collecting and it is just way too expensive to catch up on star wars and I have to have the complete set of something I collect, my city is coming along but still a long way to go, but I'm getting there, plus the price of most star wars sets is just too expensive for me to justify the purchase, yes the resale on them is good, but I will never sell any of my things so thats a moot point for me
  • StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    ^Exactly the reason why I'm sticking to City for my 2 year olds' collection, its a lot better value. I have gotten him a few Cars sets, but he hasn't even seen the movies and you don't really get a lot compared to a similarly priced City set.

Fingers crossed he sticks to non-licensed themes when he gets older!!!!
    And to answer the OP - I'm sure it'll be around as long as Lego is in business.
    @Ma1234 Um, your information is misleading. The 2009 annual report states, "LEGO City and LEGO Star Wars, once again generated the largest sales." The 2010 annual report states, "LEGO City and LEGO Star Wars were also in 2010 the two best selling product lines of the LEGO Group." I am fond of the City theme, but Star Wars sells very well and is more than just a niche. In fact, both reports comment how "the classic product lines such as DUPLO, LEGO City, LEGO Creator and LEGO Star Wars" are good sellers. Note, this means according to TLG, LEGO Star Wars is a classic product line, not a niche.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Allow me to toss my limited personal experience into the ring here...

Having spent more than a few hours over the past two months in my local Lego store, I can tell you that the three big themes right now are:

City
    Star Wars
    Ninjago

I'm not sure in what order, but those three are the big ones. I see more kids and more parents asking about those than everything else put together. I would not be surprised if 50% of the total units moved were those three lines.
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,329
    edited January 2012
    As I recall there is also a documentary that states Star Wars was one of the product lines that brought Lego back from the brink of near bankruptcy.
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 817
    Supposedly, according to Jamie Berard, Ninjago was out-selling Star Wars at some point. (Doesn't mean that trend is still true-- I don't know-- but somewhere along the line, Ninjago was or is doing better than Star Wars).

As for Star Wars bringing LEGO *back* from Bankruptcy? I don't think I'd quite word it that way. Essentially, from 1998-2005 LEGO started losing money. And the two products that were doing really well at the time were Star Wars and Bionicle. I don't know how well Town/City was doing at the time, though, since in 1997, they decided to target younger kids with the theme, and had VERY juniorized buildings and cars.

Out of curiosity, what are all the brandings that the theme has been through, and when? I *think* the timeline looks something like this:

1978-1996 "Town" or "LEGOLAND Town"
    1997-1998 "Town Jr."
    1999-2002? "City Center"
    2003-2004? "World City"
    2005?-present "CITY"

Is that correct?

DaveE
    Well, what do you know, according to the 2005 annual report Bionicle beat everything that year. As they put it, "The BIONICLE line is still the LEGO Group’s biggest-selling theme. However, sales did not live up to expectations in 2005." But Star Wars was right behind, "As in previous years, the LEGO Group has acquired the rights to manufacture construction toys tying in with cinema films. In 2005 especially Star Wars™ was a great success, and - second only to the Bionicle line - the various Star Wars products were the LEGO Group’s biggest-selling product line in 2005." Although, City wasn't doing too bad, "The list of the year’s biggest-selling products includes classical themes such as LEGO City, LEGO Vikings and Mobile Crane from LEGO Technic as well as Ferrari models from LEGO Racers."
    2002: Bionicle, Harry Potter, and Star Wars. No mention of City. "The top-selling product ranges during the year were again BIONICLE, closely followed by Harry Potter and Star Wars products. Individual products in the Harry Potter series occupied many of the top places. Hogwarts Castle was the best-selling individual product, with several other Harry Potter products close behind."
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    @StuBoy - I tried the same thing with my two little ones - actually specifically focusing on getting second hand sets of arctic and space port. They're great sets for younger children as:

1. They're really playable - the sapce port shuttle and rocket in particular with light and sound. But they are all (i would say) more toy than model. A great introduction to lego.

2. Juniorisation - most hate it (which helps with the low costs!) but for the 3-6 age range it really helps. A smaller number of bigger parts makes the build easier and importantly at that age quicker. Not only does it hold their attention better but when the sets break apart its much quicker to fix.

3. The price is great, I guess because of the juniorisation prices seem really low so managed to pick up the entire themes with the main large sets in boxes for peanuts.

What I haven't seen for a while are the sub themes of city. Like arctic, space port (ok, we've just had one of those), coastguards etc. Hospital is coming up and police/fire/construction are regulars but I wonder what else may be around the corner.