Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• VortexVortex Pakistan/USMember Posts: 342
    edited July 2015
    ^ YES! ... We were so occupied with DS here that we completely forgot about the dark horse... Last night I was about to place an order for the TIE ... And then aborted at check out ..

. Had this this sudden feeling that TOwer of Orthanc may require some urgency , so even though it was to come back in stock on 4 August ..l felt I should press that  button now ... I did 

this morning that I checked , it's on " Sold out" ...  I really am holding my breath for this one, I have one for myself but intended to double the build for a full on massive Orthanc ... I really hope I get the last one from the pipe line.

[IMAGE DELETED]

What do you guys think?  Is "hope forsaken in these lands "?

pS: DS is no longer showing " more on the way"
  • BalloonistBalloonist Member Posts: 52
    Wonderful,
    You don't work for US Naval Intelligence do you??
  • FatMattFatMatt USMember Posts: 502

^You would probably wise to not post personal information, such as is shown in your screen shot. Just a friendly suggestion:)

• SlapNutsSlapNuts Triad NC, USAMember Posts: 40
    edited July 2015
    DS #10188 is in stock at TRU. Should I get it?
  • juggles7juggles7 United StatesMember Posts: 452
    It's been out 7 years. They are apparently making more. It costs at least $400, and weighs about 21 pounds, in a shipping box. I wouldn't fool with it.
    That's what I'm thinking too, just had to hear someone else say it lol.
    bobabricks
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,886
    Unless you had 20% off gift cards to burn. A DS at $350 ish after tax isn't too shabby.
    No gift cards. It was $426 with tax shipped to the store near me.
    @fatmatt and Balloonist, Thanks, I agree, this was a slip and a foolish one. Was on the move, didn't realise I had not cropped the shot. Would one o the mods be kind enough to delete it please. Thanks! My question remains though, should I be hopeful or expect a mail soon with an apologetic tone?
    @fatmatt and Balloonist, Thanks, I agree, this was a slip and a foolish one. Was on the move, didn't realise I had not cropped the shot. Would one o the mods be kind enough to delete it please. Thanks! My question remains though, should I be hopeful or expect a mail soon with an apologetic tone?
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,181
    edited July 2015
    @Huw; @CapnRex101 - for the sake of US military security, see above.

(I'm only half-joking, but the image should probably be redacted or deleted.)
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,020
    FatMatt said:

Tower Of Orthanc showing "Sold Out"-US [email protected]

Still available in UK and EU (161 on Huw's stock checker). But this one seems to have less frequent deliveries than the DS. They seem to sell ~10 per day, so another two weeks of stock? Unless panic sets in.
    @Huw  Some assistance needed here please .
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633
    @Vortex  Good thing you were not browsing some shady websites, like M*** B**** main page, when you took the screenshot :lol: 
    Vortexpreverekiki180703
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    BACbrix said:
    I was told by the store manager at Downtown Disney that Death Star is done and whatever production is being done was already planned and not because it suddenly is wanted. The manager continued to announce the store will not be receiving any more copies and that anything left will be only sold on [email protected]
    This certainly fits with their current MO of keeping most exclusives going for a very, very long time, but only at [email protected]  VW Van, Orthanc, Tower Bridge, etc.
    My local Lego Store still has a bunch of VW Camper Vans available in store as of Tuesday evening.

As someone that does no investing, I'm finding this Death Star saga fairly entertaining.

An employee at the store told me that from what he understands, the production run for this year is supposed to be officially over, with no word on any future production runs but that it was still undecided. He was fairly certain it would be done after this year though.
    I heard that from a LEGO store manager back in 2011, then again in 2012.  :)

Frankly, I don't think anyone at the store level really has any idea of what is going to happen.  Other than perhaps they are motivated to tell people, "yea, that is probably going away, buy one now!"  :)

Even the LEGO dealer lists which show "last order by dates", are sometimes wrong.  Items that were listed to go away, even basic City sets, sometimes get extended another year.  So what was true once might not be when the time comes.
    SumoLego

BACbrix said:
    I was told by the store manager at Downtown Disney that Death Star is done and whatever production is being done was already planned and not because it suddenly is wanted. The manager continued to announce the store will not be receiving any more copies and that anything left will be only sold on [email protected]
    This certainly fits with their current MO of keeping most exclusives going for a very, very long time, but only at [email protected]  VW Van, Orthanc, Tower Bridge, etc.
    My local Lego Store still has a bunch of VW Camper Vans available in store as of Tuesday evening.

So does Amazon.com, that one seems to be staying around.  It is a beautiful set, one of the few that my wife has on display in her office and many people comment on it, so I have a stack of them set aside.  It should do well regardless of when it goes.
    Vortex said:
    I flagged it for you to bring it to the mods attention, noting that you have asked for help removing it.
    @LegoFanTexas Big thanks!
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,315
    Vortex said:
    I flagged it for you to bring it to the mods attention, noting that you have asked for help removing it.
    'tis gone.
    Pitfall69LegoFanTexas
  • BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 748
    Darn, I missed out on the Brickset version of wikileaks?

welcome back @LegoFanTexas
    VortexFollowsCloselyLegoFanTexasVorpalRyu
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,878

BACbrix said:

So does Amazon.com, that one seems to be staying around.  It is a beautiful set, one of the few that my wife has on display in her office and many people comment on it, so I have a stack of them set aside.  It should do well regardless of when it goes.
    Careful there LFT, you'll create you're own "Horde" of followers with comments like that.
    Briking said:

Brickileaks?
    GoldchainsVorpalRyuModulaRjonamok
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,085
    What in the world is happening on here?
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^Its safer not to ask too many questions :expressionless: 
    VorpalRyuLegoboy
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    ^As usual 
  • bluedragonbluedragon United StatesMember Posts: 486
    What in the world is happening on here?
    Have you seen Homeland? Well, this is Legoland...
    VorpalRyujonamokbobabricks
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,391
    SumoLego said:
    Briking said:

Brickileaks?
    I picked the wrong day to stop wearing diapers.
    VorpalRyuSumoLegoGoldchainssnowhitieVortexBrikingbobabricks
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,878
    On the Belgian [email protected] TOC is still available without problem.
    You can also buy DS, Pet S, Palace C and Par R, but these are out of stock and will ship later, but you can still buy them, without calling CS.

No analysis from me, just this titbit of info to add some fuel to the never ending DS saga.

(one of my first posts on this thread actually, only just starting to dabble in reselling (well I've been buying things for a couple of months, but haven't really sold anything yet) and I've been working my way through these pages slowly)
    Milne44
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,886
    Welcome to the Jungle
    juggles7Pitfall69
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,878
    Cheers!
    Pitfall69
  • AceCobra1AceCobra1 UKMember Posts: 565
    Just wondering if you guys think the Simpsons House 71006 is a worthwhile investment? I got a coupon for a 20% discount on everything including lego from Toys R Us and they have the 71006 on offer... I can get it for £138 each... worth a punt? They have nothing else of interest specifically, the creator series in stock... neither do they have MindStorms or I'd have bought those instead... I am still in 2 minds about this as I can get a new 71006 off ebay for about the same or possibly slightly less.
    I think Simpsons House will do well. If you're interested in reselling it, you'll have to hold it until the holiday season after the set is no longer available at retail. The TV show is still on the air, and there's an attraction at Universal Studios in Orlando.  Both of these things should help keep people interested in the theme. I would be wary of buying the set on Ebay. The people selling them might just be ordering you one from a major retailer, but paying with a stolen credit card number.  It's best not to buy new sets on Ebay. 
    AceCobra1
    juggles7 said:
    I think Simpsons House will do well. If you're interested in reselling it, you'll have to hold it until the holiday season after the set is no longer available at retail. The TV show is still on the air, and there's an attraction at Universal Studios in Orlando.  Both of these things should help keep people interested in the theme. I would be wary of buying the set on Ebay. The people selling them might just be ordering you one from a major retailer, but paying with a stolen credit card number.  It's best not to buy new sets on Ebay. 
    I am to maybe keep 1 set and sell 2. I am just thinking when it will retire though esp. given the fact how 10188 is messing us about lol.

When you say end of the holiday season, are you talking about august-ish? I am thinking it should sell quite well about x-mas time but I am thinking if I should hold longer - I guess I'll pop round to the shop later to buy it!

Any other inputs ?

• prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,878
    There's plenty of reputable new set sellers on eBay. Feedback always tells the story of risk by seller.
    juggles7 said:

Milne44
    edited July 2015
    "Your Lego Order is on its way"  aren't those the sweetest words that still bring a grin to your face ?

Got that last night for the Tower of Orthanc and yes I was all ear to ear over that . Still am.

Pitfall69 said:
    SumoLego said:
    Briking said:

Brickileaks?
    I picked the wrong day to stop wearing diapers.
    I picked the wrong day to stop using the Kraggle!
    VortexPitfall69Briking
  • BrickaholicBrickaholic UKMember Posts: 342

I am to maybe keep 1 set and sell 2. I am just thinking when it will retire though esp. given the fact how 10188 is messing us about lol.

When you say end of the holiday season, are you talking about august-ish? I am thinking it should sell quite well about x-mas time but I am thinking if I should hold longer - I guess I'll pop round to the shop later to buy it!

Any other inputs ?

Yes, dont forget to keep your records up to date

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/hmrc-plans-tax-crackdown-on-money-made-online-10415482.html

AceCobra1

Any other inputs ?

Yes, dont forget to keep your records up to date

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/hmrc-plans-tax-crackdown-on-money-made-online-10415482.html

LOL, thanks for that - As much as I would like to be paying masses amount of tax on my online income, it would need to be a few years lol. Well, depends when they are retiring the simpsons set anyway... End up buying 3 there! £138 after topcashback.

What are your thoughts about this set guys ? I wouldn't invest under normal circumstances but given the price, I just thought I cannot say no to it!
    ^Any time your entry price is that much lower than retail, you're WAY AHEAD of the game. Great snags.
    madforLEGO
    AceCobra1 said:
    juggles7 said:

Any other inputs ?

No, the High Holidays. Not the end of Vacation season in the UK :) He's talking around Christmas Holiday.
    AceCobra1juggles7
  • 1x11x1 Member Posts: 127
    DS, the mods and the kwik-e-mart all now show "out of stick, will ship at later date".
    prevere said:
    There's plenty of reputable new set sellers on eBay. Feedback always tells the story of risk by seller.
    Feedback "always" tells the story? No, it doesn't.  I've bought sets at Ebay, received the set directly from Amazon, WalMart, Target, etc., and the seller had used a stolen credit card number to make the purchase. The seller feedback gave no indication that I should expect this. However, I do agree with you that some/many are honest and reputable. 
    1x1 said:
    DS, the mods and the kwik-e-mart all now show "out of stick, will ship at later date".
    LEGO has an exclusives stash they are holding on too. It's located on LEGO's secret island and protected by a squad of trained raptors.
    juggles7
    ^  It's guarded by Nick Bluetooth, Nepol and Gorm.

(They had to give them something to do since 2002...)
    prevereBumblepantsPenkid11
    In other news, got lucky with this , $360 . This one is for the cryogenic freeze . If I can't sell it for a good profit later, then it will eventually be part of a double upped Town Hall . My first copy  is still in seals.

• mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    Following recommendations here I've been reading through the #10188 Death Star thread on Brickpicker. One would have to have a heart of stone to read that thread without laughing.
    VorpalRyuPitfall69pharmjod
    Following recommendations here I've been reading through the #10188 Death Star thread on Brickpicker. One would have to have a heart of stone to read that thread without laughing.
    Yes, I learned that you shouldn't take your Lego earnings and invest in a Jeep Grand Cherokee ;)
    VorpalRyuFollowsCloselyred5
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,261
    & remember Lego really cares about their brick investors... :wink: 
    Pitfall69xiahna
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 949
    I am glad to see the Death Star OOS again so quickly. It lasted just a few hours. The X-Wing, not so much joy.
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    The DS sold out again?? But I didn't get to buy one yet. When will LEGO learn there are plenty of people that need these sets?