Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

60096-1 Deep-Sea-Operations-Base

http://brickset.com/sets/60096-1/Deep-Sea-Operations-Base
What's the deal with this set? Is it coming to the US? I'd really like to buy it but it's so hard to find info about it other than people selling them from Europe on Ebay. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Vindic8edVindic8ed Member Posts: 163
    That's pretty cool, first I've seen of it.  I have all of the original Diver sets from 97/98.  I used the ship from 6560 to carry the base from 6441.  The new ship seems a bit larger and more capable of carrying the old base, but the new base is pretty cool too.

The Brickset page says "An exclusive release set in many countries and not shown in the general consumer catalogue; also available from Shop At Home."

No sign of it at US store though.
  • picklefishpicklefish Member Posts: 15
    yeah, I have big nostalgia for the old sub sets from my childhood. I love the new boat and really want that underwater rig as well. Hopefully the bring it here :) I mean they have a page on the LEGO site that just goes to no product: http://www.lego.com/en-us/city/products/60096-deep-sea-operation-base
    edited July 2015
    Cool.  The set is cool, but my fears are true that the back is open:

The idea behind the set is really cool, but it needs to be "closed off" or have walls to give more of an impression that it's actually suitable to be under water.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,549
    Vindic8ed said:
    Cool.  The set is cool, but my fears are true that the back is open:

The idea behind the set is really cool, but it needs to be "closed off" or have walls to give more of an impression that it's actually suitable to be under water.
    Or be like #6441, where it opens in half but normally it is 'closed'. Still kicking myself a bit that I did not keep that set. Was in box and everything and one of the sets I bought shortly after my 'dark ages'
    Hah That's one of the sets I had. So good.
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 993
    Is this even supposed to be underwater?  I get that the box art shows it as such but I can't help feel that the fact it built on stilts and the  inclusion of the crane and the amphibious supply plane lend it better towards being a surface station (and I believe was the designers original intent) mine will be a base for underwater operations as opposed to an operations base located underwater...
    ReesesPieces
    When I think of this crane and all I think of the movie Sphere, the underwater base they have has a sub port similar to this, but you could be right that it's intended to be more as a surface thing.  However, the particular windows they use and the pose the minifg is currently gives me the impression it is underwater.
  • icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 506
    Or be like #6441, where it opens in half but normally it is 'closed'.
    The atlantis exploration HQ was awesome too... Closed and open!

:-)
    ReesesPieces
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 881
    Is this even supposed to be underwater?  I get that the box art shows it as such but I can't help feel that the fact it built on stilts and the  inclusion of the crane and the amphibious supply plane lend it better towards being a surface station (and I believe was the designers original intent) mine will be a base for underwater operations as opposed to an operations base located underwater...
    I thought the same thing but then again, there is the bubble window.
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    Available August 1st for $99.99. 
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 881
    icey117 said:
    Or be like #6441, where it opens in half but normally it is 'closed'.
    The atlantis exploration HQ was awesome too... Closed and open!

I saw your post and ordered one off eBay!
    @Ma1234
    Just saw that Thanks!!