Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

CMF series 14 / Halloween Monsters

Comments

• sonsofscevasonsofsceva 1904 World's FairMember Posts: 537
    edited June 2015
    @77ncaachamps ; I have a real groundhog in my backyard, if you want one. :)

One of the Chinese clone brands did a decent dragon dance set a few years ago, back before they mostly just copied LEGO sets and other intellectual and creative properties.
    77ncaachamps
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,394
    dannyrww said:
    They have done plenty that are American (probably because it is a big market)....they have done a revolutionary soldier that looks and awful lot like George Washington.
    Yes, they have done Lincoln in the TLM series and the revolutionary soldier. Similarly they have done the British Constable and the Royal Guard, and the Bavarian male and female, and so on.

I'd hate it if they did a mainly single country specific theme. There is also the problem of when to do the seasonal theme. It isn't seasonal in that it is tied to an event, whereas CMF tend to have a limit shelf time. So it doesn't make as much sense as a Halloween series for selling at Halloween.
    SumoLego
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,312
    Outside of Simpsons and the Movie this is the first CMF that is themed. The difference is this counts as series 14.
    ^ Actually, it makes more sense to only distribute it to that one country if it only appeals to one country.

I guess you are referring to Team GB. As I recall it didn't have any effect on worldwide distribution or frequency of other CMFs coming out. It also didn't have any effect on the numbering of series and isn't officially part of the Minifigures line.

I wouldn't be against them doing a similar American focussed series in America only (or any other country), if it was not a regular CMF series and wasn't done under the Minifigures branding. Of course, it still makes sense to tie it to an event (especially if it is licensed) rather than general culture.

SumoLego
    I personally like history figure from all cultures and points in history. This brings up what I think is one of the great parts about the CMF series as a whole, it has scattered themes. I buy only the history ones, and then some other ones as they strike me. My wife buys any unusual ones like the characters in costumes. Obviously your welcome to collect the whole series if you want, but it appeals to all sorts of different collectors. I'm not to keen on a theme, but Halloween is a good place to do a theme set, as I often get all the monster CMFs and put them on display at Halloween. I cant see too many other themed sets selling well, and I would rather have a Lincoln here and a Knight there than a whole theme of say "American History" on  side note: DI they ever do a Ben Franklin Minifigure? We have the Lego American Roadshow in town and the staff are wearing shirts with minfigures on. ALl of them (Lincoln, statue of liberty, Revolutionary) I have seen but I have never seen the Ben Franklin one they show.
    SumoLego
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited June 2015
    Worrying about it being branded an official CMF line or not is pointless.  Worrying about fitting into the fractured numbering system Lego currently uses for CMFs is even more so.

Be that as it may, I'm quite a fan of the Team GB ones, and think it was a very cool concept that actually made it to reality.  What I'm not a fan of is that that's the only one we've seen.  I'd love to see more region-specific things like this, because it opens the doors to cool things we might never otherwise see.  Right now, it looks like we'll never get an American Presidents CMF line because the rest of the world probably doesn't care.
  • BACbrixBACbrix AmericaMember Posts: 655
    @CCC See I count it as the CMF line due to its packaging and similar premise as previous series. Most completionists had to get the GB series to feel complete up until that point much like myself. I have no problem with the series but they should have expanded distribution to the US because whether it is orientated to another country or not it will still be purchased up by minifigure lovers. I hope they do not create another sports themed line because it will get quite monotonous in my opinion. Plus after US then German fans want their team depicted as minifgures, then France and so on and so forth. Team GB is actually my favorite set due to its exclusivity and I feel it should be counted as a series line just as Simpsons and TLM.
    bendybadger
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Btw, are the Halloween ones distinctly American, or do these things appeal around the globe?  Especially the trick or treater/costume ones.
    I wonder of their banking on it appealing to everyone because it is monsters in general
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,601
    They've also done a fair amount of regionally-based figures, albeit figures that would be universally identifiable.  

(English Judge, London Police, Pretzel Girl, Kimono/Geisha, Samurai, etc.)

I'm terrified they'll do another round of region-specific CMFs, like the Olympic Team...
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,031
    ^^I think they'll appeal on many levels. Completist CMF collectors, American Halloween fans, Monster Fighters, Scooby Doo, Zombies. The costumes will go with the existing mascots. I mean, what's not to like? I think these'll be flying off the shelves. I don't usually buy a case full, but I think I will for these so there's an extra set for my lad plus spares.
    SumoLegodannyrww
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,391
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,601
    Right now, it looks like we'll never get an American Presidents CMF line because the rest of the world probably doesn't care.
    I think most of America probably wouldn't care, either.  (16 guys in suits? Ugh.)

You could make them clever and personalize them - George Bush dressed as a skydiver, Ford in a golf outfit, JFK in PT-109 fatigues, Teddy Roosevelt in his Rough-Rider getup...

I doubt those would sell well in China.

(And I think we can spare the rest of the political comments...)
    andheFurrysaurus
    BACbrix said:
    @CCC See I count it as the CMF line due to its packaging and similar premise as previous series. Most completionists had to get the GB series to feel complete up until that point much like myself. I have no problem with the series but they should have expanded distribution to the US because whether it is orientated to another country or not it will still be purchased up by minifigure lovers. I hope they do not create another sports themed line because it will get quite monotonous in my opinion. Plus after US then German fans want their team depicted as minifgures, then France and so on and so forth. Team GB is actually my favorite set due to its exclusivity and I feel it should be counted as a series line just as Simpsons and TLM.
    Lego don't consider it part of the Minifigures range.

I'm not sure if Lego was allowed to sell them in the US (or elsewhere) due to the strict controls the Olympic Association imposes over where individual national associations are allowed to market their merchadise. This wasn't general London 2012, it was Team GB specific.

SumoLego said:
    They've also done a fair amount of regionally-based figures, albeit figures that would be universally identifiable.  

(English Judge, London Police, Pretzel Girl, Kimono/Geisha, Samurai, etc.)

I'm terrified they'll do another round of region-specific CMFs, like the Olympic Team...

Yes, and I hope they keep doing them, and mixing them up in the regular series. Just not complete themes containing one nation. I think that would kill them off. Some nations would get their go first, and then there would be nothing interesting for them later. Others would get turned off early on, as their country isn't featured. Some countries wouldn't be done at all, and fans in those countries would claim it is unfair.
    Btw, are the Halloween ones distinctly American, or do these things appeal around the globe?  Especially the trick or treater/costume ones.
    American style trick or treat has grown in many other places. And even if not trick or treat, Halloween parties are popular.
    Right now, it looks like we'll never get an American Presidents CMF line because the rest of the world probably doesn't care.
    I'd say it was less down to the rest of the world caring, and more down to Lego not wanting to do politics. If they did a presidents line, which ones would they miss out? I cannot see them doing a 40+ CMF line when probably most Americans wouldn't be able to name many of them, let alone put names to minifigure caricatures of them. Then they'd probably have to start balancing Republic vs Democrat numbers so as not to be accused of political bias.

Also if they did them, then they'd get used for political campaigns, and they'd forever have to be making public statements saying that they are politically neutral (like this http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/scottish-independence-lego-said-that-it-is-politically-neutral-in-union-debate-9504605.html)

There would be even more problems if an incumbent had a minifigure and the opponent didn't. Again, claims of political bias would be made.

andhe
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,338
    edited June 2015
    You are probably right about Americans not knowing many of the 44 Presidents. On the other hand, I can name every one in order. By the way, there have only been 43 people that have become President of the United States ;)

@TheLoneTensor will test me when he sees me next ;)
    I actually love the Team GB minifigure series. My client picked me up a box while she was there for the Olympics. I don't consider it part of the CMF Series, but they are CMF's, so I needed them to complete MY collection :)
    BACbrix
  • sonsofscevasonsofsceva 1904 World's FairMember Posts: 537
    George Washington and Abe Lincoln are both internationally pretty well known and also have the distinct dress of their era. As mentioned earlier, a Teddy Roosevelt in his militaries would also be distinctive. But Adams and Jefferson and Quincy Adams, for example, would look pretty much just like a Washington, and the others would just be suits with various sizes of facial hair, then mostly no facial hair with Woodrow Wilson and following.

They could do a really sickly William Henry Harrison, who couldn't be bothered to wear a coat for his rainy inauguration and died of pneumonia in office one month later. Maybe an old Snape style pale glow head.
    LordofLego
    They could equally well do whole series of Kings and Queens of England / UK or Kings of France or Prussia or Denmark ... For every such series there would be a few interesting ones and the rest similar looking once in lego form (and probably suffering from people not knowing who they are). That's why I'd prefer to get a Henry VIII type king, an Elizabeth I type queen, a Sun King, ... mixed in with space, city, etc. Pretty much what we get now.
    The Star Wars CMF conversation was more of just jokingly wondering what would be in a Series or 2 :) 

Presidents? Really? Ugh...That's awful. I would rather have Kings Queens. I would really like it if Lego would create a piece that would make any minifigure fat. I would love a fat king :) Would love a Queen Elizabeth minifigure.
    matticus_bricks
    Yeah, although I'd prefer it to be a slightly more general Tudor queen, just like the Egyptian one. I guess we really need to resurrect the old CMF wants thread.
    Pitfall69SumoLegoVorpalRyuGothamConstructionCo
  • BACbrixBACbrix AmericaMember Posts: 655
    Wow. I love all of them except the fly trap guy because the face.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,868
    So Bigfoot is a brown yeti. Any idea what the clear base of the spectre is? New part? I think this is a great wave and would love for LEGO to do monster theme every year around Halloween.
    Pitfall69
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,088
    Can't wait for this series. I know that it won't be for everyone but definitely a winner for me.
    Lego_StarPitfall69BumblepantsT_Lars
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,244

the base of the spectre comes from ninjago I think.

SirBenandhe
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,607

Bigfoot looks like he needs more printing, lighter colour could have been good too.

Gargoyles wing look great, wonder if they are planning to use them in normal sets.

Not loving the spectre, doesn't work for me.  

• oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,391
    Damn it!  Now I'm going to have to break my 3.99 rule. UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUhg.
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    anyone know where I can preorder a case?
    ^MinifiguresPlus
    not too impressed so far, though the gargoyle looks good. nice to see arms printing on several of them. some of them look like they are missing something, like the businessman, he needs a suitcase or something.
    VorpalRyu
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,592
    SMC said:

Bigfoot looks like he needs more printing

Perhaps just blurry or pixelated printing? ;)
    pharmjodSumoLegoFurrysaurus
    That would be hilariously awesome
    I do like that Bigfoot has a camera as an accessory.
    dannyrwwchuckpPitfall69madforLEGOLostInTranslationSumoLegoLordofLego
  • dragon114dragon114 United StatesMember Posts: 632
    i want the wings of the gargyal for my sigfig
    VorpalRyu
  • Lego_StarLego_Star ... in a galaxy far, far away.Member Posts: 1,921
    @SMC Weeping angels, Dr Who, maybe?

SMC said:

Gargoyles wing look great, wonder if they are planning to use them in normal sets

• SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,607
    ^ Maybe but I thought the ones we had already would have been better
  • chuxtoyboxchuxtoybox Member Posts: 711
    If the guy in the plant suit is actually supposed to be a guy who's been eaten by a plant, I don't think they pulled off the effect. I like the green vines though. They'll be good for the types of MOCs I'll be doing. Those are a new color for that element, right? He shouldn't be difficult to distinguish him from the other packaged CMFs.

I think this is one CMF series that I won't mind getting doubles of.
    a teeth pattern could work better, kinda like the hammerhead warrior from Atlantis.
  • koozkooz Connecticut, USAMember Posts: 158
    These are supposed to be people in costumes.  Look at the skeleton; he's wearing a mask.  Point is, they all could be better to look like the monsters, but to look like people heading to a costume/fancy dress party, they're good.  

That said, I can't explain the spectre. 
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,088
    @kooz i think some are meant to be costumes others are meant to be real monsters
    If the guy in the plant suit is actually supposed to be a guy who's been eaten by a plant, I don't think they pulled off the effect. I like the green vines though. They'll be good for the types of MOCs I'll be doing. Those are a new color for that element, right? He shouldn't be difficult to distinguish him from the other packaged CMFs.

No, they've been in quite a few sets recently, from Chima to Galaxy Squad, even Arkham.
  • Lego_StarLego_Star ... in a galaxy far, far away.Member Posts: 1,921
    The guy/plant made me think of Little Shop Of Horrors.
    pharmjodoldtodd33Ronyar
  • DreamyBongoDreamyBongo Member Posts: 13
    edited July 2015
    Lego_Star said:
    The guy/plant made me think of Little Shop Of Horrors.
    I assume that is the inspiration.
    edited July 2015
    Yes, definitely Audrey II  =)
    Ronyar
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,670
    So you mean the zombie businessman doesn't have a newspaper on his head? Looks like some I can happily pass on but some nice parts in others (always a sucker for new colours/parts).
  • readersamreadersam USAMember Posts: 62
    Stupid question: when are these being released?
  • LegoTTLegoTT Member Posts: 478
    September, I believe.