Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

WANTED: 10190 Market Street

EmkEmk New ZealandMember Posts: 21
edited July 2015 in Marketplace
Hello, I've posted previously, but I'm really desperate for a lego market street set at a decent/affordable price. IF any of you would be willing to part with yours I would be eternally grateful - it would mean a lot to me and my family who are trying to help our niece :)
also after a green grocer set.

Comments

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,410
    Can you give us an idea of what you are willing to pay for both Market Street and Green Grocer? That would help start negotiations with people that may have those sets for sale.
    LegoboyLind_Whisperer
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    I PM'ed him an offer of $700.00 shipped and got no response. 
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,148
    I'm curious to know what a 'decent/affordable' is for this fella.

I had a client offer to buy my Tower Bridge for a 'reasonable' price of $25.00.  He had no idea the cost of Lego.
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,341
    ecmo47 said:
    I PM'ed him an offer of $700.00 shipped and got no response. 
    A better price then what I could offer for mine. I doubt he'll find much better on here.
    dougts
  • DarthMorlDarthMorl Member Posts: 335
    @ecmo47Is that $700 new or used? 
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    I think it's bad form to come on here and your first message is to ask someone to cut you a deal on a very desired set (actually you're asking for two).
    DaraghLind_WhispererColoradoBricksSumoLegoBumblepants
  • jnorlundjnorlund USAMember Posts: 32
    He PM'd me saying that he was scammed before and wanted a "really good deal". I provided links to my feedback, offered a used loose Market St (no manual/box) for $640 shipped ($60 shipping to NZ alone) and never heard back. I think it's one thing not to want to "pay ebay", but no one is going to sell high dollar sets for pennies just because you ask.
    madforLEGOLind_Whispererdougts
  • Lind_WhispererLind_Whisperer ZotaxMember Posts: 65
    edited July 2015
    What would be a reasonable price to ask for a used Green Grocer in all but excellent* condition?

*A single 1x1 black round brick has a chip broken out of the bottom part of the rim - presumably due to plastic issues, because it never saw "hard play". It's not even vaguely visible and I could easily replace it/throw in a replacement.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,806
    What would be a reasonable price to ask for a used Green Grocer in all but excellent* condition?

*A single 1x1 black round brick has a chip broken out of the bottom part of the rim - presumably due to plastic issues, because it never saw "hard play". It's not even vaguely visible and I could easily replace it/throw in a replacement.
    Check eBay completed items for 10185, that will likely give you the best idea IMO.
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 1,001
    @jnorlund ....I 100% agree.  Especially since no one has an endless well of these things.   Personally, I would never give someone a great deal on these sets, they're finite and no ones really needs them anyway....they just want them!  The only question is, "how badly do they want them?"
    Lind_Whisperer
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 871
    To the original poster: I suspect your niece doesn't care about the originality of the set - in which case just bricklink/order the parts from Lego, be prepared to to a few colour swaps or substitute pieces, and you will get what is effectively the Market Street set for a fraction of the price that people are (rightfully) selling their originals for.
    DarthMorl said:
    @ecmo47Is that $700 new or used? 
    Bricklinked with a lot of parts from PAB. No box or instructions.
  • EmkEmk New ZealandMember Posts: 21
    To everyone who has commented, thanks for your input. I didn't realise people would be so negative. 
    I joined brickset forum because I heard it was a good community for buying, selling and trading Legos - I idnt expect people to think I was ripping them off. 
    Firstly: I am not a 'fella' hahaha ;)
    secondly: I do know the price of these sets, and yes my niece is unwell. I didn't think it would harm approaching people. Clearly things are different in the UK and US with how you do business compared to NZ. 
    Thirdly: my internet has only just been reconnected this week and I have been out of the city.

jnordlund - I'm terribly sorry I didn't reply to you - I wasn't intending to be rude, I've just had a lot happen this week. I do appreciate your help thank you :) will pm you soon.

if anyone is still wanting to help me out, I'm looking to pay $500 or so.

cheers
    Legoboy
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    You need to reevaluate "negative" as simply neutral observations.  There are a lot of people around here who would love to get their hands on a $500 Market Street.

Nobody claimed you were ripping anyone off, but rather than you were overtly asking for the "family discount" without ever being part of the family.  You're right, of course, when you mention community, and you are welcome to dive in, participate, laugh and cry with the rest of us.
    Emkdougts
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    And there is definitely a lot of crying when it comes to retired modular prices ;)  Welcome to the forum, hope you find it for around your asking price and that your niece has a speedy recovery. 
    EmkSumoLegodougts
    Just to be clear, is that $500 USD or 500 NZD which equals $330.00 USD?

If you want it as cheap as possible, I suggest that you dive in and Bricklink it and you will be close. 
    Ok can someone explain how brick link works please? Do you actually collect every single piece of the set? If so... Then applause for all of you willing to take on this mission hahahaha ;) 
    Yes that is basically what you do!!
    I am sure some of the more knowledgeable bricksetters will tell you exactly how you go about doing it. I believe there are pre set lists you can use to make it a little easier :) 
    Emk
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,663
    Checkout the forum for more information about bricklinking a set, but you best allies are brickstock and bricklink's wanted list.
    Play with the part lists, make the substitutions you want and go for it, I had a lot of fun bricklinking the Green Grocer and Cafe Corner a while ago...
    Emk
  • teal93mr2teal93mr2 USAMember Posts: 981
    Sometimes to get a retired set you have to be willing to get creative (via Bricklink/trade) or just pay the going rate.  Anyway, that's how I realize how badly I want a set.  
    Emk
    Wow - so true :) the modular series are such a great collection, I can see why people are so keen to have each one! So far we've got cafe corner, pet shop, parisian cafe, town hall and grand emporium - hence why we are a little addicted! I personally just want the green grocer to add into the'street' we have going on, but in saying that I've never seen a market street in person so it could be cool to brick link it with my niece :)
    if any of you are looking for retired sets let me know because the modular sets in New Zealand don't seem to retire as quickly or they just stay in the market a while!
    ive been pretty lucky not having to purchase all of them at extortionate prices! 

What at modular is your favourite?
    kiki180703
  • kiki180703kiki180703 Montreal, CanadaMember Posts: 1,047
    Emk said:
    Wow - so true :) the modular series are such a great collection, I can see why people are so keen to have each one! So far we've got cafe corner, pet shop, parisian cafe, town hall and grand emporium - hence why we are a little addicted! I personally just want the green grocer to add into the'street' we have going on, but in saying that I've never seen a market street in person so it could be cool to brick link it with my niece :)
    if any of you are looking for retired sets let me know because the modular sets in New Zealand don't seem to retire as quickly or they just stay in the market a while!
    ive been pretty lucky not having to purchase all of them at extortionate prices! 

Do you still see the grand emporium, the town hall or the fire brigade in New zealand?
    My favorite one is the town hall.
    Emk
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 868
    Honestly, if I were you I would not bother with Market Street and focus solely on Green Grocer.  Market Street is half the size of the other modulars and it doesn't have the same "feel" even though it is the same scale.  I sold off my Market Street years ago - I don't miss it at all.
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    And to keep adding fuel to the fire..is Market Street really part of the series? :wink:

With that said, I haven't attempted to build it. I have bricklinked Cafe Corner and Green Grocer a few years ago. It was interesting getting all of the pieces that's for sure.
    Emk
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I stand by the position that Market Street is not an official Modular. Similar to all those who stand by the point that the Holiday Train is not part of the Winter Village series.
    TheLoneTensorPitfall69
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,663
    LEGO considers it as a modular, in the latest designer video, the #10246 Detective Office was introduced at the 10th modular, it was part of the #10230 mini-modular. Your collection is what you wanted it to be anyway.

On a side note bricklinking the MS is much cheaper than GC (both with substitutions)
    gmonkey76
  • parsomparsom Member Posts: 45
    SumoLego said:

I had a client offer to buy my Tower Bridge for a 'reasonable' price of $25.00.  He had no idea the cost of Lego.
    I'll give you 50$. Deal? :)
    kiki180703Lind_WhispererEmk
    Emk said:

What modular sets are still available in New Zealand? 
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 831
    Do you still see the grand emporium, the town hall or the fire brigade in New zealand?
    I got the Fire Brigade in NZ late last year, at RRP with 25% discount from a toy store. Best deal ever.
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 831

Emk said:

I've noticed that modulars tend to disappear faster from Toyworld and Toyco nowadays, and then reappearing on TradeMe at double the RRP. They used to be around a lot longer (I'm looking at you, Town Hall!) I'm lucky to have managed to snag all of them except Cafe Corner, Market Street, and Green Grocer in NZ. Saw the ridiculously priced ones on TradeMe and I figured I'll probably never own these buildings. 
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,148
    parsom said:
    SumoLego said:

I'll give you 50$. Deal? :)
    Sounds like I've doubled my money!
    Jern92 said:
    I got the Fire Brigade in NZ late last year, at RRP with 25% discount from a toy store. Best deal ever.
    So do you still have them in NZ?
    Wow all the comments on this forum! Sorry, my email isn't sending me the discussion updates so I probably need to be checking more regularly! 
    Yes we will have some lego Modulars that are well retired overseas. Less than a year ago I purchased my family the Town Hall modular for $180 :) needless to stay I'm stoked considering how much it's price has inflated!!
    so there are stores that still have old stock of these: retailing around $400NZD.
    i got grand emporium quite cheap too ($200NZD).
    nz still has plenty of parisian cafes, pet shop sets, a few town halls and a few fire brigades (although probably harder to find).
    we have an online retailer that slashes lego prices quite regularly : mightyape.co.nz
    really great :) 

thanks for everyones commente and suggestions!

Emk said:
    Wow all the comments on this forum! Sorry, my email isn't sending me the discussion updates so I probably need to be checking more regularly! 
    Yes we will have some lego Modulars that are well retired overseas. Less than a year ago I purchased my family the Town Hall modular for $180 :) needless to stay I'm stoked considering how much it's price has inflated!!
    so there are stores that still have old stock of these: retailing around $400NZD.
    i got grand emporium quite cheap too ($200NZD).
    nz still has plenty of parisian cafes, pet shop sets, a few town halls and a few fire brigades (although probably harder to find).
    we have an online retailer that slashes lego prices quite regularly : mightyape.co.nz
    really great :) 

thanks for everyones commente and suggestions!

Could you please tell me the names of shops that still have the town hall, the grand emporium or the fire because I'd really like to have one of them. And do the shops in NZ ship overseas?
    Thanks!
    If you wanted I could do some research for you and let you know if i find any you're after? What price range would you be willing to purchase at? 
    Haha welcome to the world of modular mayhem ;)

Emk said:
    If you wanted I could do some research for you and let you know if i find any you're after? What price range would you be willing to purchase at? 
    Haha welcome to the world of modular mayhem ;)

Yes please! And my maximum is $450NZ shipping included to Canada. Thank you very much!
    No worries :) will message you if I have any luck! 
    Thanks!