Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Final 3 Ultra Agents sets will be unavailable in Europe

Comments

• ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,158
    @obi_g ; just went through the contact form on the website - there is also an address there if you want to write a letter.
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,239
    @Bumblepants, thanks for that, so it seems discount may not be an option...
    xiahna
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    Shib said:
    I don't think an official line on resellers from LEGO exists
    Whether TLG have a specific policy on resellers is debatable. However, I think there's something much more fundamental at play. TLG want compete and absolute control of the LEGO brand and how it is perceived. That is fully understandable. Resellers are just a fly in that particular ointment.
    BrickDancer
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,873
    TRU has had them in store.
    @pharmjod, are you guys due for any toy sales over there? I only ask cause we've got one on now (Big W, who left Lego off the sale, but got massive complaints) & the rest will be having sales over the next few.
    xiahna
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,271
    @Fauch
    Maybe you should widen your scope?! I am sure that there are plenty of other sources in France, or elsewhere in Europe, where you can buy all those themes you just mentioned. Not only on Bricklink, which you told me once is your primary source for buying Lego, but also from other online retailers/sellers. I hardly ever buy anything from sellers outside the EU.
    maybe, I sometimes look at lego.com too, but they are usually out of stocks for good deals interesting me.
    In the past when he was active on this forum, he often told how he went to this or that store, and bought all the Lego sets on the shelves in that particular shop, often when it was on special offer/discounted, in order to stash it. Wait for all those sets he bought and thought were a good investment to get discontinued, rise in value, and then at a increased if not utterly steep price sell them on to those who are both willing, and can afford to buy them at double or triple the original retail value from him.
    seriously, who likes that except for people doing it? sure, that's only lego, that can't be as bad as banks speculating on food or housing, but the thinking is the same, manipulate prices at your advantage at the expense of everyone else.
    Tru always seems to have some coupon or another. There is a 20% off regular price coupon currently that doesn't exclude LEGO. Between the discount in Thursdays with the credit card and discounted gift cards you can actually get stuff at decent prices at TRU here in the states if you try.
    Thanos75
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,707
    @pharmjod where is the 20% coupon to be found? Newspaper?
    Mine was mailed to me.
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,117
    Mine too.....it stacks with the $10 off $75 or $15 off $100. It wouldn't stack with the 20% off of Mincecraft sets.
  • BEEKUZZBEEKUZZ California, United StatesMember Posts: 127
    Vindic8ed said:
    any one from across the pond be willing to trade a used 100% complete #4184 or #4195 for a new 70173?
    I will send you two new 70173 for both, haha.  I've been wanting to get those for a while.
    Darn you, Vindic8ed ~  I would have traded for #4184.  :'(
  • AidypieAidypie Member Posts: 15
    Man, I hate it when LEGO does that; It really stinks. I hope that they are released eventually or else that they become less expensive on the internet.
    @pharmjod, is the value or item limit to those vouchers?
    xiahna
    @Aidypie, from the sounds of it, TLG are ending the UA line, so the likelihood they'll be released in other regions later is pretty unlikely...
    xiahna
  • eggsheneggshen Middleton, WIMember Posts: 520
    @Thanos75 where did you get the $10 off $75 or $15 off $100 coupons? And did they mail the 20% off coupon on a postcard or something? I spend quite a bit there and I'm not seeing any coupons like that...

Knowing how good you are at finding deals you might be the only person in the US that receives those coupons ;)
    They come in the mail on the monthly mailers. I get one from TRU and one from Babies R Us. Not sure why I get them. Maybe because I'm a card holder or maybe because I have both of my kids signed up in the birthday club. I also always make sure to fill out the survey with all purchases.
    The 20% off Minecraft was a promotion they were running last week in store.
    Another good tip is to ask the cashier before you ring your items up if there are any current coupons out. They usually have a copy of the current ones by the register.
  • eggsheneggshen Middleton, WIMember Posts: 520
    @Thanos75 thanks for the info! I am also a card holder, kids signed up, etc. I never fill out surveys though. I'm going to have to start doing that.
  • BEEKUZZBEEKUZZ California, United StatesMember Posts: 127
    I have a few #70173 that I am willing to trade to the other side of the pond.  Let me know if you have some great new or used 100% complete sets.  Box not required. Would love to pick up #10211 or #10224 or #4184 or #10228.  There are many others, so if interested, PM me and we'll see what we can come up with.
  • RomanticWarriorRomanticWarrior United StatesMember Posts: 248
    VorpalRyu said:
    @RomanticWarrior, @BACbrix or anyone else willing send the sets overseas, I'm willing to wait for the sets to go on sale (15%-20% off etc if that's likely), don't need the boxes just the contents. Shipped all together, or separately, whichever will work out cheaper...
    I'll keep an eye out for any sales and let you know.    Still need to pick up the Jet and Ocean HQ myself.  
    @RomanticWarrior that would be awesome, thank you, if you need me to paypal you the cash to grab the sets, PM me.
    xiahna
    @VorpalRyu no $ limit that I'm aware of, just one time use on one item.
  • Craigster10Craigster10 Member Posts: 54
    I have made a formal complaint and I got a response straight away both in email and over the telephone.  I have brought up the point about the app being available here and not having access to the last 3 sets and the app bricks.  I have suggested that they offer them as [email protected] exclusives, therefore avoiding having to put them in Lego shops were they allegedly don't have room.  I think we need to complain as much as we can and the more people who contact them lodging an official complaint the better.  
    VorpalRyuTheBigLegoskiOmastar
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,237
    I have made a formal complaint and I got a response straight away both in email and over the telephone.  I have brought up the point about the app being available here and not having access to the last 3 sets and the app bricks.  I have suggested that they offer them as [email protected] exclusives, therefore avoiding having to put them in Lego shops were they allegedly don't have room.  I think we need to complain as much as we can and the more people who contact them lodging an official complaint the better.  
    I have been advised time and time again by LEGO employees that whenever I have a LEGO-related problem, e.g. with the quality of elements or anything else, I should call it in to LEGO Customer Service. They couldn't stress highly enough how seriously LEGO take customer complaints.

If you're unhappy about the lack of availability of these sets in your region then contact LEGO and let them know about it, like @Craigster10 has. 
    VorpalRyuShibCraigster10Omastar
  • obi_gobi_g BlightyMember Posts: 498
    @drdavewatford ;i actually complained on the phone yesterday when i needed to get a replacement part. just sent them an email too. will write a letter at the weekend when i have five minutes!
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,707
    Noticed the HQ ship has moved up into the top 25 sellers on [email protected] USA. Guess word is spreading...
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,439
    @pharmjod where is the 20% coupon to be found? Newspaper?
    The Toys R Us coupons are placed on mailers to TRU non-credit card and credit card members.

Credit card members enjoy an additional discount (% off) than non-cc members, but either way, it's a nice coupon to use for Lego or Pampers (Babies R Us).

I'd recommend joining. Since Lego sets are pricey, getting the $5 reward (after you spend $125 or something like that during a period) is a paltry but nice offering.
    Noticed the HQ ship has moved up into the top 25 sellers on [email protected] USA. Guess word is spreading...

or maybe it's just a great set at a nice price. also it comes with 2 super villains.
    Omastar
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,674

I would love 70172, has anyone sent this to the UK yet and happen to know how much the postage would be and has anyone in the UK had to pay tax once it arrived.

It would have been nice of Lego to have sold it even if it was just online, I think its unfair for those that have collected them up to now that they cannot get the last 3.

I thought it was an odd move in the first place having this line when there are so many super heroes sets already but if you are going to make them then sell them. 

• comedydave1979comedydave1979 Member Posts: 13
    SMC said:

I would love 70172, has anyone sent this to the UK yet and happen to know how much the postage would be and has anyone in the UK had to pay tax once it arrived.

In response to SMC, I managed to snag one of each from a BrickLink user in Korea.  Overall, for the sets pluc postage, it cost me £196 or thereabouts.  However, the nosy, good for nothing parasites at HMRC got hold of it and charged me a further £36 VAT for the pleasure.  On top of that, Parcel Farce then added their £8 "handling fee" to the mix, meaning that what originally started out as a great price for the three sets with acceptable postage became a legal mugging / ransom demand by HMRC that was only missing the flick knife and the whispered threat.
    pharmjodTheBigLegoskiobi_gOmastar
    ^ Ouch, our Prime Idjit...sorry, Prime Minister wants to lower our import limit to something similar to the UK, what is the limit over there these days?
    Omastarxiahna
  • comedydave1979comedydave1979 Member Posts: 13
    ^ Ouch indeed!  From what I can find online, the UK has the following limits...

VAT Rates

The standard VAT rate for importing items into the United Kingdom is 20%, with certain products, for example Children's car seats, attracting VAT at the reduced rate of 5%, and some goods are exempt from VAT altogether, for example books, children clothes and children shoes. VAT is calculated on the value of the goods, plus the international shipping costs and insurance, plus any import duty due. 

Minimum thresholds

For imports into the UK, there are minimum thresholds below which duty and VAT are waived.

Duty is not charged if either:

• the FOB value, i.e. the value of the goods excluding shipping and insurance cost, does not exceed £135 
    • the amount of duty payable does not exceed £9 

VAT is not charged if:

• the FOB value, i.e. the value of the goods excluding shipping and insurance cost, does not exceed £15
    Whichever way you look at it, it's daylight robbery.  Admittedly, the three Ultra Agents sets are as cool as you'd expect them to be (which is something of a bonus after all) but, had I have known HMRC would rape my wallet to such an extent for the privilege of nosing about at my purchases, I'd have just accepted that they weren't to be released over here and done without them.
    @comedydave1979, not nice... I'm just hoping that the idjit Abbott doesn't manage to reduce our duty-free import limit, its currently set at $1,000 AU. Kind of made me worry when our dollar dropped slightly just after I bought four of the SW Microfighter exclusives from one buyer, fortunately, they go by date the parcel was sent for calculating exchange rates.
    xiahna
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Paying VAT is fair enough, you'd have paid it if you bought LEGO from any shop in the UK. The 'admin fee' is more annoying. I once had to pay an £8 fee to Royal Mail and the VAT was just £2.50.

Just for more information, the limit goes up to £36 before VAT is applied for gifts.
    ShibOmastar
    edited July 2015
    @cheshirecat - I've had worse than that, I think the absolute piss take one I had was an £8 RM admin fee on a VAT charge of about 1.35p - I was livid, with stuff like that it makes you think that there should be some % as to what RM can charge rather than arbitrary prices.

EDIT: it might gave been some other fee than a VAT one...struggle to remember now)
    VorpalRyu
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,674
    edited July 2015

Yeah that's what I was worried about don't mind so much about the VAT although you are playing where you buy it from too. But the £8 is way to much, I have not had a problem before I have got a few small things from the US some over £15 but less than £36 and have never been charged but this would be over the gift limit.

Edit: Sorry forgot to say thanks for the replies.

VorpalRyucomedydave1979Omastar
    I think the other thing that I find really annoying about it is the random chance factor, some people get orders of £200 pass with nothing others get stuck with a crappy bill on a £20 parcel. I know that it's lucky for the person with the £200 one, but if it was a constant that you knew would happen you could factor for it much easier than with the totally random way it works.
    VorpalRyucomedydave1979Omastar
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,802
    It puzzles me a bit that this theme hasn't been successful, but having only had a passing interest in it myself, I guess I shouldn't be all that surprised. It does have a few meaningful issues that could have minimized its success.

For one, the villains are conceptually very similar to what you might find in the Super Heroes theme. People who are interested in those types of characters might be more prepared to opt for the more recognizable licensed characters. The villains also lack visual or thematic unity, so the "collect-them-all" impulse might not be as strong as with, say, the zombified Ice Hunters of Chima or the Ghost Ninja of LEGO Ninjago. With characters who are clearly a part of the same faction, the more you get the more powerful that faction becomes.

Additionally, compared to Ninjago or Legends of Chima, the story feels a bit harder to follow. Yes, it has a story, and a more developed story than some other themes like Power Miners, but the communication of that story has felt a bit more disjointed to me since there are no chapter books, no TV episodes, and no graphic novels. I mostly just know it from the comics in LEGO Club Magazine. The LEGO Group seems to have designed the theme so that the mobile app is the chief avenue of story communication, which seems to me like a bit of a gamble (I might just be a bit old-fashioned, though).

Furthermore, the concept of the theme is a bit difficult to grasp. Ostensibly it's a post–Space secret agent theme, but to people who don't recognize Solomon Blaze as a former Galaxy Squad character it might be difficult to understand what is remotely "secret" about these agents. There's nothing particularly covert about their high-tech gear. If I were to name the most similar theme to this one conceptually, it'd actually be LEGO Hero Factory, which also had a futuristic crime-fighting organization facing villains with hazard-themed superpowers. But Hero Factory's characters were obviously robots, so its futuristic, high-tech setting was a little more apparent from the get-go.

Overall, the theme's still had some stellar designs. It's a darn shame that it seems like many parts of Europe won't be getting all of them. But I can kind of understand why it didn't have the same staying power as Ninjago.
    Omastar
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,289
    @Aanchir
    (just letting my imagination run a little wild)
    It would have been so easy to have the Ultra Agents make a guest appearance on the Ninjago show on one or a couple of episodes. After all the main antagonist 'Antimatter' is a multidimensional super-villain, creating rifts in the fabric of space and time opening up portals to different universes, and perhaps he is a time traveler too?!

I am not 'in the known' about Ninjago as I have no idea where or when the show is being broadcast, and have only seen some episodes from the first couple of seasons. But I like the theme, and have bought a couple of sets from it almost every year since its inception that appealed to me just based on the sets. Maybe I like it exactly for the reason so many other FOL's here don't like it. It is a whacky fusion of anachronistic themes: a bunch of feudal/medieval Japanese inspired characters, mythical creatures (Asian style Dragons), blended with steam & cyberpunk, and a splash of supernatural fairytale fantasy stuff in some sort of future setting. In The Lego Movie, they had the DC character Batman tag along, and went to all these different theme worlds. Ninjago being some sort supernatural fantasy theme set in a technologically futuristic world with a overtones of ancient Japan, could be the perfect vehicle to have the UA theme make a guest appearance . Not only as a promotion for that separate theme, but also because it opens up imaginative play in terms of possible scenarios, as I often have read here and elsewhere that many kids nowadays only play with their toys as the movies / toy-makers indicate they can play with them, or more harshly put it is said that many of them lack imaginative play. I always thought of Lego and associate it as being all about 'free play'; not only in terms of build it yourself, but also for kids who are more into role playing and emulating and inventing narratives and storylines than playing with Lego as just a construction toy.

There are plenty of cartoons and (live action) TV-series, and films from the last four or five decades that tapped into time travel, and multiple dimensions, portals and wormholes etc. if any new theme TLG develops takes a year and a half or longer, why aren't they more creative and inclusive about all the stuff the develop. Both Ninjago and Ultra Agents are 'house brands' from Lego as opposed to all their licensed themes. They target the same core group: boys in between 7 and 12 up to 14 with these two themes, and of course a whole bunch of AFOLs who are not part of the target group but who end up buying these sets too if not for themselves for their kids. And I am inclined to think that TLG counts on making many of the more expensive sets also appeal to adults #70751 but also less expensive yet still costly sets such as #70173 , as no set above say €50 or $50 is an impulse purchase for most people, and something most kids will be able to afford with just their pocket money they are given on a weekly basis.

ps.
    I think it is a huge mistake for TLG not to release these last bunch of UA sets in Europe and elsewhere around the globe, and I still hope they correct this erroneous decision! At least make these four final sets available through [email protected]!
    Omastar
  • DreamyBongoDreamyBongo Member Posts: 13
    Invisable and Toxicita were characters in the Ninjago TV show.
    Omastar
     finally got a response from TLG - almost two weeks after inititally complaining and two follow up calls. basically told to look on ebay or amazon.

pic is the response, in it's entirety:

TheBigLegoskiOmastar
    @obi_g, nice, its underperforming so we won't sell to you, go get ripped off by the sellers on Amazon & eBay... Funny there's no mentions of BrickLink...
    TheBigLegoskixiahna
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,289
    Of course the theme will under-perform if your strategy is to not sell it to your customer and fan base.

VorpalRyuluckyrussOmastardougtsxiahna
  • JunaJuna TaiwanMember Posts: 5
    I live in Taiwan at the moment, and have gotten all three sets from local shops. Like previous posts mentioned, they are not selling well. More stock than JW+Super heroes+Ninjago altogether where I went.

The prices were about $22/$70/$110. Pretty nice prices considering it's Taiwan. 

I've just put together 70173, and I don't care who or where you have to buy from, just get it. It's that good of a ship.
    obi_gOmastar
    edited July 2015

I thought the strategy for an underperforming theme was to lower the prices (btw, 100$ for the ocean HQ is a very nice price indeed)

sure, they compete with the super heroes theme. though what I expect from such a theme are over the top villains and crazy vehicles, and UA seems to deliver more in that area. except for spaceships and few batmans, most super heroes set look pretty bland to me.

• BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,281
    Anyone know how big the boxes are for these three sets?  I'm going to New York later in the year and might be able to bring a set back with me as long as they're not huge.
  • JunaJuna TaiwanMember Posts: 5
    Like Fauch said above me, I think a large reason they aren't doing so well is because they have to compete with Marvel/DC AND Ninjago. Which is a shame because the vehicles are designed much better than most super hero sets, and the figures are on par with Ninjago ones.

A kid comes into a store, and they are going to go for what they see on TV and the big screen. A half-working app to promote a whole theme is not enough in this day and age anymore.
    edited July 2015
    @BooTheMightyHamster ;
    according to @drdavewatford, 70173 is about 47.5 cm x 37.5 cm x 9 cm (i emailed him to ask as i have a friend going to the US) and the weight is about 3.9 pounds (according to amazon.com).

the other two are on bricklink and if that's accurate then 70171 is 26 x 19 x 4.4 cm and weighs 91.7g and 70172 is 34.9 x 37.5 x 5.7 cm and 231.4g!

worst case, empty the boxes and either fold them flat or discard them. i know, i'd rather have the boxes but if the choices are set+no box or no set at all, i'll take the former.

hope that helps :)
    VorpalRyuTheBigLegoski
    @obi_g, I'm the same, couldn't care less about the box, I'm just wanting the contents. The boxes just add weight & bulk, driving up shipping cost (more the bulk, after all some sets over half the box is filled with nothing but air).
    xiahna