Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

biggest lego mistake

I'm guessing everyone who has ever built a lego set will have made a mistake at some point whether it be simple or complex to fix what has been your biggest lego mistake and how far back in your build did it set you? (No pun intended haha)
Legoboy

Comments

• LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,828
    Great discussion.

I have two.  My first was building Technic set #8043 Motorised Excavator.   I used a wrong cog right in the heart of the gearing and only discovered it after completion when it didn't work.  Having Googled it, it appeared I wasn't alone with the same mistake but managed to swap it out within an hour or so.

The second was the #75059 Sandcrawler.  Again, very close to the beginning of the build, either me or my mate (my mate I think), but a plate in back to front.  Not until the end did we discover the tracks wouldn't rotate.  I wouldn't wish that on anyone.  Seriously, it took about 5 hours to resolve.  Was the night before Steam last year.  Will never forget it.
    HaleAFOLandheGoldchains
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,438
    edited June 2015
    ^I'm not surprised really ;)

BTW @legoboy ,you shouldn't really wipe back to front ;)
    SumoLegoHaleAFOLOldfanGoldchains
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,529
    biggest mistake must be about colors. like black looking like dark grey in some instructions. I think I also confused silver with tan, until I realised the little star for reflection on silver. sometimes I look at photographs of models to be sure.
    GalactusHaleAFOLandheOldfanLordofLegoKevin_Hyatt
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 651
    As a child I remember being very excited when #10000, a rerelease of the classic Guarded Inn arrived at my door. Well, not being the experienced and patient builder I am now, when I got the end of the build, where you put a lookout post on the roof, I pushed too hard on the plate and sent the whole structure tumbling down. Little me was quite frustrated and didn't try to rebuild it for awhile. 

More recently, though this wasn't a building mistake, I was moving some things around on my shelves and when I picked up my Grand Emporium, instead of holding it from the bottom, I grabbed the sides, and once I was holding it a good ways off the ground, it slipped out of my hand, and the entire first floor smashed on the ground. Luckily, I was able to piece it back together without the instructions. 
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,576
    I was putting Fire Brigade together and some where on the first floor I used the incorrect color of brick I think and when I got to the second floor it was missing a 1 x 2 brick on the exterior wall so I figured you can't see it anyway so I left it. It is still missing but you can't see it. 
    HaleAFOL
  • DoubleDDoubleD Oklahoma, USAMember Posts: 488
    I think I would make a lot less mistakes if I didn't drink while I was building. There are nights I would mess up a 6 brick poly bag. 
    HaleAFOLmr.pigglesGothamConstructionCoBuriedinBricksBlueTacokhmellymelricecake
  • MissKittyFantasticoMissKittyFantastico AustraliaMember Posts: 197
    Carelessly cutting the pneumatic tubes too short on #8851 wasn't terribly brilliant, but I was quite young so I give myself a pass on that.  Can't claim the same excuse for deciding it would be no trouble to carry both buildings and all the accessories of #10193 Medieval Market Village up the stairs in one go.  Turns out 'balanced on your forearms' isn't the sturdiest way to carry things; that took a while to piece back together.  (Full credit to Lego being Lego though, some of the shrapnel made it all the way down two flights of stairs but nothing was actually damaged, so that's a plus.)

My most stereotypical epic mistake, though, would be finding out I'd missed putting a single piece into the central elevator shaft wall of #10188 Death Star, after finishing it.  Yeah, I did partially dismantle the whole thing just to 'fix' it, I am that kind of person.
    HaleAFOLbendybadger
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,060
    Emerald night, same thing about wrong part used due to indeterminate color in instructions. Used all of one color and had no type of those parts left, then realized I should have used dark grey instead of black, or was it the other way around?
    Ronyarklatu003
  • PeteMPeteM Gallifrey (near Bristol)Member Posts: 430
    ^ I seem to remember the EN instructions being particularly bad for that kind of thing

In my first new Technic set for nearly 20 years, I managed to place a gear round the wrong way in the gearbox of #9396 and didn't test it before everything was really securely fixed into place. Turns out that Technic sets don't come apart as easily as they snap together...
    Sethro3
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,407
    My biggest Lego mistake was getting into Lego... Oh the cost.

Building wise it was/is on the Emerald Night, the main build went fine but when converting to power functions I wound up having the wheels stick and the motor not working right, that was a few years ago and I still don't have it working smoothly, despite a total strip down and re-built. It is something in the grarbox but no idea what.
    HaleAFOLSethro3
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 993
    7191 took some fiddling around to get the foils opening, closing and sitting evenly and correctly - from memory the trick was moving the gears for the upper foils a few more teeth upwards than shown in the instructions. 8421 was a PITA as well from memory - think we built that thing half a dozen times before getting all the bugs ironed out!
    HaleAFOL
  • BrewBrew New Mexico (It's an actual state in the US)Member Posts: 182
    Letting my 3 year old twins have their way with the Ewok village. I just tell people that it looks like the Empire won this time around...
    johnhenzmcvitie
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    For me it is the UCS Falcon.  I must have messed up somewhere because the cockpit is not lined up correctly with the corridor so it sticks out.   I think I need to go back to the original framework to figure out what I did wrong.   It's just so daunting to take it apart and sort that many parts.   
    HaleAFOL
  • TarDomoTarDomo FinlandMember Posts: 515
    edited June 2015

Some years ago, maybe in 2009, I was building the Battle of Endor set. I used a grey flat tile instead of a black one somewhere during the base build part and noticed it in the last part of the build. I was building those walls and there weren´t enough of grey tiles left. I decided to use the wrong brick and fix it "later". Then the base was displayed and some day it broke and I had to fix it. Then I also fixed the mistake. After that episode I´ve learned that black bricks look a bit grey in the instructions.

HaleAFOLCoolguy5000
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    I can't remember exactly what piece it was, but I screwed up some small part of the internal technic structure for #10225, somehow making R2-D2's drop-down leg not work properly. Of course, I did not notice until well past that stage and it took forever to go back and fix.

Most of my "big" mistakes have usually involved some form of technic-driven play feature. I am so bad at mechanical assemblies.
    HaleAFOL
  • nexandernexander Glasgow Member Posts: 906
    After my 4 year old spending a week building kings castle we stored it up on a shelf to keep it safe. He wanted to play it the next day so we took the Lego table through, he was all excited. I went to take it down and there was no problem until it was a foot above the table, right in front of his face. The castle then imploded in my hands, right in front of his eyes. Needless to say daddy was not popular that day! It has since been rebuilt on a xl baseplate, complete with moat but it is still not the most stable to move.
    HaleAFOL