Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Is it better to keep the boxes or doesn't it matter?

HaleAFOLHaleAFOL Member Posts: 58
At the moment I have all the boxes to my Lego sets and i am just wondering if anybody else actually keeps the boxes or not? 

Comments

• matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 648
    edited June 2015
    For me it depends on the set. If I've only bought a set for parts and don't intend to keep it as a set, the boxes go in the garbage, otherwise it gets things too cluttered. If I've bought a set for my collection, then keeping the boxes is a must. When buying retired sets, I always try to get it boxed, if available/affordable. I guess it's a matter of personal preference, and everyone has their own view on this. 
    TheLoneTensor
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 315
    It does depend on the age and the actual set for me.  Smaller ones I really don't care about, but bigger sets sometimes I try and save for the various pictures on the boxes.  It's hard to do though, as they can take up a lot of space.  Ultimately I think to whether or not I'll care about the box in a few years when I happen upon it again.  If I won't, then I get rid of it.
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    I started out keeping everything, but have been a little more inconsistent about it lately. The only ones I make a point of keeping are the $100+ sets, which probably cover most of what I buy for personal collection purposes. I've taken to cutting the seals on both ends and flattening them, which does help to cut down a little on the storage space that's required.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    edited June 2015
    When I first started collecting, I threw out some of the boxes. A few months later, it dawned on me how crappy it was to have all these sets bagged in smaller quart and gallon size ziplocs in a huge plastic sterilite tub and dig through them if I wanted to rebuild a set. Totally killed the quality of the experience IMO. So ended up buying back all those boxes I threw away, costed a couple hundred bucks to fix that momentary mistake. And actually still hunting a few down that haven't popped up in the past 3 years. Keeping every box, big or small, since then. That way it feels almost like the first time each time I grab a set off the shelf to rebuild. Space be damned!
    MrJ_NYKevin_Hyatt
  • leetshoeleetshoe USAMember Posts: 252
    l keep them... but l'm running out of space at the moment
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 654
    It matters, Oh... it matters.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,852
    It probably doesn't matter for most people. I keep them, but mostly for sentimental reasons (and partly out of habit — back in the 90s, set pictures weren't as widely available on the Internet as they are now).

I do collapse the boxes flat so they take up less space.
    veedubguy83
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,401
    Anyone who doesn't care about boxes and has a nice box for the UCS ISD, Death Star II and Millennium Falcon; I would gladly take them off your hands.
    SumoLegooldtodd33
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 881
    I'm always tempted to keep the boxes tothe biggersetsbut always end up throwing them away.
  • bamaker1bamaker1 Member Posts: 18
    Here's my system... when I dismantle a set, if the pieces all fit in a quart-size ziploc bag then I do not keep the box, and I store the now bagged set in a large crate (along with the other similarly sized sets).  If it takes 2 or more ziploc bags, then I keep the box and store the bags in the box.  If I sell a set, I generally discard the box and just sell the set as pieces, instructions, stickers, as I have found the lack of a box when selling an opened set does not affect the price so much that it warrants the headache of trying to find a large enough shipping box to accommodate the set box.
    yys4u
  • Mandz27Mandz27 ScotlandMember Posts: 36
    I have kept the boxes to the sets that cost £100 + bit we had way too many smaller sets  to accommodate all the boxes and eventually I had to discard them.
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,107
    edited June 2015
    As a LEGO collector for 54 years, my experience is if at all possible.... SAVE THE BOX!!!!

Now this is especially true for larger model sets (as has been mentioned).   Today everyone is interested in all the newest and latest sets... but suddenly many older sets (30 or more years old).... have gone thru the roof in prices..... especially sets from the 1950s and 1960s.   No box.... a very old set could be worth $100 (or less).... but add the box... and the value could jump into the thousands.  I'm absolutely amazed at the prices that older sets are bringing.   Part of this is because new sets are available on Ebay/Bricklink by the dozens.... but the truy old stuff (which has had a lot of boxes tossed away).... has suddenly really taken off.

Just remember... all the new sets are eventually going to be old sets one day!!   :)

• KiwiLegoMeisterKiwiLegoMeister New ZealandMember Posts: 212

I used to keep boxes, flattened.  But it got to the point that they took up too much space.  So out they all went.  Probably 500 of them.

Now I just keep the boxes (still flattened) for certain ranges, including Harry Potter, Modulars and a few other special sets.

dafish
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,235
    I keep all the boxes, in as good condition as possible, as I personally enjoy a "pristine" box (aw heck, even when the box is battered I've still got some love for them.  I even try to "repair" boxes sometimes... maybe I'm just a tad crazy :smile: ).  I don't need to flatten boxes currently, but my collection is quite small. I do plan to flatten boxes eventually; when my collection was larger, I did some of that, but I was forced to sell practically all of my collection last year so now while it's small now there's no real need.

I do however combine boxes sometimes, so smaller ones of a theme will go inside larger ones of the same theme.  Lego boxes are quite large for the number of pieces that go inside them so they've room for several sets, even if the smaller boxes are fully assembled.

The only boxes I may recycle are those destined for the parts bin, but it's mainly the smaller Creator type sets that eventually end up there, or sets I've gotten on sale just for the pieces, so I'm not really fussed about those.  

I'll tell you though, the boxes can be important - even if you never think you'll sell your collection... sometimes things happen!
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,303
    edited June 2015
    Apart from the exclusives, the boxes go, I'm not intending to get rid of any of my sets, as for my old sets I gave over to the kids, when they leave home, the Lego will be here for the eventual grandkids to play with when they visit...
    xiahna
  • Vindic8edVindic8ed Member Posts: 163
    I have close to 500 boxes that I've kept over the years.  If you plan on selling them at some point then you want to keep the boxes.  A majority of my sets are still stored in the boxes I bought them in, but I'm in the process of sorting all the pieces so it's easier to MOC stuff.
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 315
    But if every
    Istokg said:
    As a LEGO collector for 54 years, my experience is if at all possible.... SAVE THE BOX!!!!

Now this is especially true for larger model sets (as has been mentioned).   Today everyone is interested in all the newest and latest sets... but suddenly many older sets (30 or more years old).... have gone thru the roof in prices..... especially sets from the 1950s and 1960s.   No box.... a very old set could be worth $100 (or less).... but add the box... and the value could jump into the thousands.  I'm absolutely amazed at the prices that older sets are bringing.   Part of this is because new sets are available on Ebay/Bricklink by the dozens.... but the truy old stuff (which has had a lot of boxes tossed away).... has suddenly really taken off.

Just remember... all the new sets are eventually going to be old sets one day!!   :)

But if everyone starts saving the boxes now, will they really be worth that much in the future?  Back in the day people didn't collect stuff like they do now.  I never really plan on selling Legos ever, so I don't care for the boxes all that much.
    VorpalRyuBuriedinBricksdafishKevin_Hyatt
  • sonsofscevasonsofsceva 1904 World's FairMember Posts: 539
     I would keep them if you ever think you will want to sell them or give them away eventually. It adds to value and positive reception of the set. If you are planning on passing them down to the next generation, a box is also a nice gesture.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Let's say that even today when I search for 'used' sets of interest on ebay, having the box is an absolute requirement to even be considered. It greatly narrows down my choices, but it does help those sellers that do have them still.
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    I send mine to Boom Blocks to burn for views.
    SumoLego
    I don't think most people plan on selling the items they hold dear, but sometimes, emergencies happen and you may need to sell some stuff and you will get more for your Lego if you have the boxes. If anything else, it shows the buyer that you have taken good care of your Lego and just didn't throw it in a bin :)
  • PmhPmh netherlandsMember Posts: 128
    edited June 2015

Kept all boxes so far (unfolded!) but I have a spare room to store and only a small collection. Maybe in the future I will have to make the difficult choise to fold them,and even potentially get rid of them.

It might be worth selling the boxes. Other people can then bricklink the set and sell it with box as 2nd hand. If you just want to own the sets yourself and don't care about resale value then you can sell the instructions as well. The box of a super star destroyer apearently goes for 30-40 dollars on ebay, I can imagine the instructions in good condition fetching even more. If you bought the set for 280 at retail and now sell box+instructions for 100 then you got a pretty decent price for a nice set.

HaleAFOL
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,098
    It's all a personal choice.

For me, anything that can be flattened by cutting both ends of the tape with a razor is worth keeping.  Anything small with the perforated opening or anything that gets bugged up in opening I don't keep.

This also begs another question, not sure it warrants its own thread, but how many of you keep the shipping box a set arrives at your house in? Regardless of whether you keep the LEGO set in that box or not.

Ive just come to realize that I can double up on the number of LEGO sets within a single shipping box thereby cutting down on some clutter.
    Mordoor
  • B0SSKB0SSK In the PubMember Posts: 175
    edited June 2015
    I keep all the boxes and toss the plastic bags with the bricks inside in the bin.   :)
    Galactusdafish
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,386
    I keep all the shipping boxes. I cut some of them and used the cardboard to make a piece of furniture.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,574
    Fauch said:
    I keep all the shipping boxes. I cut some of them and used the cardboard to make a piece of furniture.
    Say what?
  • dimefielddimefield Edmonton Alberta CanadaMember Posts: 314
    I flatten all mine. I figure if you're cutting two seals you might as well cut 4. I use shipping boxes to store the flattened set boxes. I fantasize about one day reassembling the set boxes and filling them with the zip locked sets.. 
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    Just too many boxes to keep. And the bugs love boxes, and we don't need more bugs in our house. The only boxes I may keep are for high value items like Exclusives, etc. and/or very rare sets like Marina Bay Sands. it is hard enough to find a place to put the LEGO much less the boxes they arrive in. Also so many boxes are a fire hazard. (We tend not to keep much paper in the house either.) But I can understand how some collectors have to have a box with each set. Fine with me. 
  • yuffieyuffie Member Posts: 91
    B0SSK said:
    I keep all the boxes and toss the plastic bags with the bricks inside in the bin.   :)

Best post on here for ages.

I buy Lego to build so once it's built the box goes in the recycling. The best thing about the big boxes is that you can use them to put all the other cardboard in.

I don't really understand why people would pay extra for a second hand set that has been built then dismantled just because it includes the box. It makes no difference to the chances of it being 100% or in good condition (and probably costs more to post). If you are a collector of boxed sets then surely you'd only buy unopened ones and if you want to build Lego then why would a box matter?

Does anyone keep the numbered bags (carefully slicing them open) then put the correct pieces back in each one (having carefully noted what goes in which bag before building the set) when dismantling the set before putting them back in the retained box?

VorpalRyudafishKevin_Hyatt
    edited June 2015
    Having the box with a used set gives the perception of value. People are more likely to pay more for an item if it looks more expensive. Throw one ipad in a crappy box and another in a nice package and customers will most likey pick the nicely packaged ipad and pay more for it, even though it is the exact same thing. Why are people more likely to buy from a Bricklink seller with 4,000 feedback than one with only 5? Having the box shows the buyer that the seller probably took good care of their set even though that may not be the case. Another reason why people buy used sets with the box is because they are buying the set for another collector/child and it is better than wrapping a plain box of bricks and presenting that as a gift.
    MrJ_NYoldtodd33SumoLegoyys4u
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,107
    edited June 2015
    @yuffie for modern sets I can understand your logic, (although eventually all modern sets eventually become old sets.  But if you've ever watched Antiques Roadshow, you'll know how important boxes are to vintage sets (sooner or later all sets will become vintage).  In fact without boxes many vintage items are worth only a fraction of their value.... this would be especially true for items that had a lot of components in the box.

I once found (1980) 35 760 LONDON BUS sets on clearance for $7.65 each.  I immediately ripped each one open and threw away the boxes..... ouch.... today they go for $350-$500 each MISB.   Lament..... a little bit... but lesson learned.... YES!!   Save the boxes.....   :'( 
    Pitfall69oldtodd33
  • jaitheartistjaitheartist Member Posts: 30
    This is great so many people just as neurotic as me when it comes to storing Lego and keeping boxes haha! I came to research what others did with boxes as I am just about to go into the garage and organize a bit because the collection has been growing fast, and currently have everything in the original box, inside of plastic bins. Some sets are built and on display in the shelves in the garage, but the unbuilt sets are in ziplock bags, with instructions, inside their original box. I was thinking I would flatten the boxes and store them together in a large bin, and keep the instructions somewhere else, a binder or something, and then have the parts in bags in other bins.

I would like more access to the parts for MOCing, but I already tried dumping all my Lego sets together thinking I would like the collection of parts together, knowing all the pieces are there if I wanted to build a set at some point, and I just couldn't take it, a few days later I had to go and rebuild the sets and disassemble again to put back in their own ziplock bags and store together with their box. hahaha...crazy! 

But anyway, I'm glad to see others have flattened their boxes, there's no way I'll be throwing them out, but I do need to try to consolidate and save on storage space some way. Thanks all.
  • MattPetersenMattPetersen Florida, USAMember Posts: 282
    I have thrown out all my boxes except for train sets. 
    My wife would murder me if I kept the boxes.
    I mostly collect superhero and pirates (and Scooby, trains, and occasional Star Wars), so I doubt I'll ever part with them anyways. 
    dafishkiki180703
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    I keep all my boxes. Took me a while before I decided to flatten them but space became a huge issue so I flatten all of them, small sets that you have to rip open are really hard to flatten and I wonder if its even worth keeping those. I put a bunch of flattened boxes in a trash bag and put another on top to fully cover the boxes and stored them in the garage. But one bag came off leaving the boxes exposed and I have been too scared to go retrieve them from the garage cause I'm scared at how destroyed they will be now, with the dust, bugs and probably water damage...
  • Kevin_HyattKevin_Hyatt UKMember Posts: 778
    When I was buying Architecture sets I kept the boxes as thy are nice and most models could be kept in them when part unassembled.
    Everything else used to go in recycling untilni found someone who values them so I now recycle the small ones and give him all the bigger ones plus multiples o instructions

• brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 998
    i keep all the boxes. doesnt matter how damaged they are!
    SlapNuts
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,807

Up to now I have kept the boxes in a spare room but now that room is just full of boxes so time to do something. I guess I will keep all boxes with seals at both ends flat and some of the nicer boxes like ideas. I build sets then part them out to build mocs so I guess if I ever wanted to sell then it would take too much time to remake the sets anyway. But it is hard to know how to collect Lego, as its nice to have a set sealed or with all the parts in one bag so its easier to rebuild but then we want to moc as well. Anyway I think its time to stop thinking like a collector and start enjoying my collection.