Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO at SDCC 2015

Comments

• DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 859
    Definitely think the superman set is the most desirable exclusive this year
    bobabricks
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,318
    @Drmnez, not for me, then again, I'm not a DC fan. I'd love to grab the Ultron set & if my little 6 year old sees the Sam Wilson Cap, I'll need to find a way to score one of them, two of his favourites combined.

@BrickDancer, I reckon it was sometime around late October/early November...
    Drmnezxiahna
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM IrelandMember Posts: 987
    Do people expect Arsenal to be the last Superheroes exclusive? If so I can breathe a sigh of relief. I'd love to have him, but my biggest fear is always an exclusive Batman villain. 
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 599
    Do people expect Arsenal to be the last Superheroes exclusive? If so I can breathe a sigh of relief. I'd love to have him, but my biggest fear is always an exclusive Batman villain. 
    There's a chance it will be.  They can do what they did last year...One DC & Marvel, and Two from random properties.  But w/ no more LOTR or Lego movie.  One can only guess what the other two properties could be.

Buuuut, the two years before that each had two from DC & Marvel.  

Basically, it's a guess at the moment...Simpsons?  Scooby Doo?  Star Wars (although never had a minifigure at SDCC before)?

We should find out w/i the next week as all of the exclusive news is flowing super fast.
  • DarthMorlDarthMorl Member Posts: 335
    Where do you guys look to purchase these from? eBay? 
    edited June 2015
    @DarthMorl I've found them on both BrickLink & eBay, heard mention of someone purchasing off Amazon in my travels (can't remember where exactly I came across the claim). Just keep in mind, the first few will be astronomical in price, there are a few already on eBay, but they can't likely guarantee they'll get one to sell you.
    xiahna
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 656
    I always buy in early so I do not wait around for the risk of fakes to hit the market.  I usually have all mine within 4 days.

I average around $200 - $250 when buying them.  That's what my budget is each SDCC for each exclusive mini-fig.

Deals are there for sure the longer you wait.
    @Brick_Obsession, ever grabbed one of the pre-order listing on eBay? Wondering how many of them miss out & have to cancel the listing...
    xiahna
    Have the minifigs always come on a card and in the plastic "bubble" or where the earlier ones just mounted on card? 
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    2011: Mounted on card, no packaging
    2012: Mounted on card, no packaging
    2013: Not mounted, in Blister pack
    2014: Not mounted, in Blister pack
    2015: Not mounted, in Blister pack
    DarthMorlTheLoneTensor
    Thank [email protected] Are there many fakes out there?? Anyone have any advice on avoiding possible fakes?
    Do the SDCC minifigs raise in value similar to end of life sets such as the Town Hall? I'm guessing expensive straight after SDCC then dropping a bit in price a few months down the line as spoken about here but then I assume a steady climb in price? I ask not for resell purposes but to try and get an idea of what to prioritise as far as starting to collect them goes. I started to collect SW promo figs about 6 months ago and bought the cheaper ones first leaving CDV, Gold C3PO and NY Yoda to last. At the time CDV could be had for around £60-£70 but now he seems to be £80-£100!!
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,423
    @DarthMorl - Only get with the packaging. Don't buy the figure separate from it. That would be my best advice to dodge the most fakes.

There are some fakes that have the packaging, but so far they all are pretty poor in comparison to the real thing. Easy enough to tell apart. 

Yes, the SDCC minifigures do rise in price similar to end of life sets. There's typically a dip about 2-3 weeks after their release and then they stay pretty steady for a few months before slowly rising back up in price. 

@BrickDancer - My average buy in prices for 2014 were:
    Collector- $80
    Batman- $140 (I never saw this one drop lower)
    Unikitty- $75
    Bard- The change I had left over from my purchases above.
    DarthMorlpharmjodBrickDancer
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 656
    I have never grabbed a pre-order.  All it does it cause headaches if the person bails on you.  They have to refund your money and then you may miss chances on other items until you receive your money back.

As @samiam391 points out, there are lots of deals to be found if you are patient.  I am not patient, I get my "precious" right away and then put them away and move onto something else.

Please note that I am quoting in CDN.  I do pay higher because of the exchange rate and the ridiculous shipping costs.

Sometimes there are some really cool people that help me out south of the border, his name will remain nameless but he knows who he is.
    Thanks @samiam391
    Off to try and find my first SDCC superhero fig now. If anyone reading this has any they would like to sell drop me a PM :)
  • hechenbhechenb United StatesMember Posts: 32
    samiam391 said:
    I think LEGO realized in 2013 that having 200/350 of each exclusive just isn't a good, viable marketing campaign. 

I believe it's reasonable too expect them too have approximately the same number and variety (not just SH) as last year. Which would mean numbers at or above 1,500 across several themes. With the new Star Wars movie coming out, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a SW exclusive minifigure, along with a mix of Super Heroes and one other theme.
    Highly possible! Which I have a bad feeling about the second market pricing...
    edited June 2015
    @DarthMorl my suggestion on a heavy endeavor like this is to start at the top. If you can stomach the cost of SDCC 2013 then the rest should be a snap for you. But if you start the other way around by going with the cheaper ones first, you'll either end up with a gaping hole as the going gets tougher or paying even more for the expensive ones by the time you get to them.

2011: ~$500 (not counting NYCC Superman which is anywhere from $500 to $800)
    2012: ~$800
    2013: ~$2,200
    2014: ~$400

All in, you're looking at about $4,000 not including this year's set.
    @DarthMorl my suggestion on a heavy endeavor like this is to start at the top. If you can stomach the cost of SDCC 2013 then the rest should be a snap for you. But if you start the other way around by going with the cheaper ones first, you'll either end up with a gaping hole as the going gets tougher or paying even more for the expensive ones by the time you get to them.

2011: ~$500 (not counting NYCC Superman which is anywhere from $500 to $800)
    2012: ~$800
    2013: ~$2,200
    2014: ~$400

All in, you're looking at about $4,000 not including this year's set.
    And... if you are really a purist... NYTF 2012: ~$4,000

Yikes.

You know, until you just totaled it up there I never realized how expensive these stupid things are.
    pharmjod
    The NYTF Pair burns deeply in my completist brain, ggrrr! But we are way past the point of return on those. All I can do is sit here and breathe deep breaths, count to 10, and Wwooosshhhaaaa!

I think around the $4K mark, you can get the entire Modular series NIB. Or 2 'used' UCS Falcons. Or the Taj, Eiffel and Statue of Liberty all together.
    The NYTF Pair burns deeply in my completist brain, ggrrr! But we are way past the point of return on those. All I can do is sit here and breathe deep breaths, count to 10, and Wwooosshhhaaaa!

I think around the $4K mark, you can get the entire Modular series NIB. Or 2 'used' UCS Falcons. Or the Taj, Eiffel and Statue of Liberty all together.
    Truthfully, they don't really count... they aren't part of the "comic con" line of exclusives.

Besides your collection and display are unparalleled in quality. Really can't compete with the excellence of your setup.
    BrickDancerSumoLegoDrLegOBrickGothamConstructionCo
    Thanks for the consolation Sam, that's how I rationalize it too on the NYTF. Their lack of card also prevents them from being framed like the rest anyhow.

And I appreciate the thumbs up from a gentleman of your refined taste ;)
    Always excluded Superman since he was not unique other than the piece of cardboard he came with.

He is the only one missing, but that is buy choice.  I only collect the ones that are not available in any other set.

Opps, sorry @BrickDancer

*hugs*

BrickDancer
    ^God those two fellas look great, don't they? I yearn for those two to reach my mail box one day. It may still happen, but would require some sort of lightning stroke of great luck like the Lottery or super job promotion.

At 125 each, they are only just a smidge more rare than the SDCC Green Arrow which was 150 made. Followed by 2011 NYCC Superman and 2013 SDCC Black-suit Superman were both 200 made. But it's crazy how high the NYTF ones have gone up to when compared to Green Arrow at $600.
    ^God those two fellas look great, don't they? I yearn for those two to reach my mail box one day. It may still happen, but would require some sort of lightning stroke of great luck like the Lottery or super job promotion.

At 125 each, they are only just a smidge more rare than the SDCC Green Arrow which was 150 made. Followed by 2011 NYCC Superman and 2013 SDCC Black-suit Superman were both 200 made. But it's crazy how high the NYTF ones have gone up to when compared to Green Arrow at $600.

Hm... your numbers are a bit off.

200 for Superman 2011, 225 for Green Arrow, 225 for Black Superman.

Also in BIN/BO Green Arrow goes for a bit more.

On 2012 NYTF- They are certainly more difficult to get a hold of these days. I used to be able to acquire a couple sets here and there... but now I only have one waiting in the wings for me.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,453
    4k for the entire Modular Series NIB? Please, tell me the fool who is selling for that low, I need to make a purchase ;)
    SumoLego
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 15,066
    ^ I thought the exact same thing!  (Probably doesn't include the Market Square...)
    edited June 2015
    For the record, I hate these things... rather, I hate that I don't have all of these things.
    Pitfall69
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,453
    I dove in this year and quickly got "bent over" by a fellow Bricksetter on 2 SDCC Exclusives ;)
    I'm starting to get uncomfortable with the amount of times I've been mentioned anonymously in this thread...
    GothamConstructionCoRainstorm26

samiam391 said:
    I'm starting to get uncomfortable with the amount of times I've been mentioned anonymously in this thread...
    Ha ha ha!  Not by me - I was happy with my swap.
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 859
    Always excluded Superman since he was not unique other than the piece of cardboard he came with.

He is the only one missing, but that is buy choice.  I only collect the ones that are not available in any other set.

Opps, sorry @BrickDancer

*hugs*

I have number 80
    DarthMorl
    @samiam391 it says 200 for Green Arrow but for some reason I keep recalling that it was 150 and were less than the Supes. I could be wrong though, darn this rusty memory.

I was there that Sunday morning and didn't win so ended up having to buy him right there on the floor next to the booth. Imagine waiting all those hours to come up empty handed. 
    Thanks @BrickDancer, it's gonna be a slow collect due to cost and supply but tracking them down is half the fun I guess!! 
    I was wondering if any of you very knowledgeable collectors would mind me sending you a PM as I find figs to buy just to run an experienced eye over the deal before I buy??
    @DarthMorl, one bit of advice I can give, read the entire entry for the eBay listing if you're buying items there & check their other listings, if they are selling known fakes (like the Thing, Abomination, etc), likelihood is... Most sellers selling fakes will give themselves away somewhere in the listing, because they can later claim you mustn't have read the listing right, to void you claim for refund on the grounds of not being genuine Lego.
    DarthMorlxiahna
    That's great, thanks @VorpalRyu
    @samiam391 it says 200 for Green Arrow but for some reason I keep recalling that it was 150 and were less than the Supes. I could be wrong though, darn this rusty memory.

I was there that Sunday morning and didn't win so ended up having to buy him right there on the floor next to the booth. Imagine waiting all those hours to come up empty handed. 
    @BrickDancer it's ~225. There were 200 released as the normal promotion giveaway. Then there was an additional 25 given out (more or less). These were given out for asking a question at a board panel, but I don't recall which panel it was.
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,161
    I'd love to have the Collector but then I would also go on a rampage trying to complete Guardians of the Galaxy. Which just isn't viable right now as I'm balancing student loans with my Lego interest, and the loan payments run me $700 a month.

As for this year's exclusives, I'd love the Superman set, even though I'm not a huge Superman fan.
  • GeddesGeddes Member Posts: 574
    This time of year already!?! I wish I had the backing card for my iron man and captain america.
    Geddes said:
    This time of year already!?! I wish I had the backing card for my iron man and captain america.
    Do you at least have the bag it came in?  
  • GeddesGeddes Member Posts: 574
    No, I've had them verified by our resident expert.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,364
    Gooker1 said:
    There's a chance it will be.  They can do what they did last year...One DC & Marvel, and Two from random properties.  But w/ no more LOTR or Lego movie.  One can only guess what the other two properties could be.

Basically, it's a guess at the moment...Simpsons?  Scooby Doo?  Star Wars (although never had a minifigure at SDCC before)?

We should find out w/i the next week as all of the exclusive news is flowing super fast.
    Maybe they will do a random one such as Simpsons or some other current theme. Remember that none of the LOTR exclusives ever were really exclusive. It probably costs them next to nothing, save for a bit of packaging and they extend their promotions for a few days and people chat about them.

I still wonder about the line they put in the description of the Kwik-E-Mart ...

Snake (a.k.a. Jailbird) is exclusive to this set for fall 2015

Which makes it sound like he will appear somewhere (maybe with different print) in winter 2015 or later.

LOL
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,703
    CCC said:
    Gooker1 said:

Maybe they will do a random one such as Simpsons or some other current theme. Remember that none of the LOTR exclusives ever were really exclusive. It probably costs them next to nothing, save for a bit of packaging and they extend their promotions for a few days and people chat about them.

I still wonder about the line they put in the description of the Kwik-E-Mart ...

Snake (a.k.a. Jailbird) is exclusive to this set for fall 2015

Which makes it sound like he will appear somewhere (maybe with different print) in winter 2015 or later.

I will be well angry if they do! I said this will be the theme I will get every set they release from The Simpsons theme, all I need is The Simpsons House since I already own the two collectable minifigures series and the Kwik-E-Mart. I can barely pull the trigger of getting some ploybags I've missed let alone £100+ for one minifigure. 
    ^ Ones like Bard (for the actual sealed "set") seem to be £50-60 on bricklink. Obviously £45-55 of that is for the packaging.

If you are displaying built sets, I cannot understand buying the rare comic con ones as they are just packaging and a common figure. That's why it wouldn't bother me if they did a Simpsons character that way, and repeated him in a set. But then, I don't display boxes, whether retail or promo.
    @BrickDancer  Is there a post where your comic con minifigs are displayed?  My search skills are subpar
    ^ what if they release a non common figure one!!!!
    DarthMorl said:
    ^ what if they release a non common figure one!!!!
    Then you are screwed. But that goes against what they have done for the non-SH themes recently. Of course, they could change direction, but I think it would be a mistake. I don't think either Simpsons or Scooby Doo has enough of a following of rich and geeky fans (meant in a good way!) to care that much for exclusive minifigs. I doubt Simpsons or Scooby Doo really drives ticket sales to the comic cons.
    I think you are probably right, time will tell......
    Oh no!!! No no no.....no!!!
    so I thought I had done my research and had figured out that most of the SH exclusive minifigs came from the SDCC with the exception of Captain America and Iron Man from NYCC. But now I see Green Lantern was available from both!!!!
    And Batman...... It's gonna be all of them isn't it?!?!?
    Superman also in set 6862???