Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

When I type in bricksetforum.com without "www," I get http://vanillaforums.com/oops

legomasonlegomason Member Posts: 190
edited November 2012 in Forum Operation

Comments

• LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,910
    I've been wondering the same thing.
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,028
    I think that should be fairly easy to fix. It is probably a simple setting somewhere so both the www and without www would be recognized. I know there is a setting in the Google Webmaster tool for websites, but I'm not sure if that would be the place for Forums too.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    bricksetforum.com and www.bricksetforum.com both resolve the same by my DNS so it appears to be something on Vanilla Forum's end. I'll let Huw know.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,470
    I'll contact their help desk but it might be deliberate.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,242
    Is Vanilla Forum the actual hosting domain? Or is it just the forum code? I know for my sites the registration of a domain gets the www.<>.com and the <>.com to the same address in the DNS but I can choose in my .htaccess file you can control whether www.<>.com is redirected along with the <>.com. It's a regular expression "^(www.)?hostname.com". Looks like it is just a user controlled hosting configuration issue.
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    They provide the hosting.
  • legomasonlegomason Member Posts: 190
    Now when you type in bricksetforum.com without the www it says, "The forum you requested has been disabled..."
    Best leave the www. on then :-)
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    The domain name management could be transferred to a company that allows more flexibility of domain config and the hostnames pointed to the hosting at vanilla.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,242
    ^ not being able to have .com and www..com both point to the same location is pretty basic hosting ability. I would probably say that it would be transferring to to somewhere proper over somewhere with "more flexibility" since it appears there is no flexibility at all currently =)
    I can probably change it at 1&1.co.uk where the domain is registered, and where it's currently set up using a C NAME record, but I suspect doing so will result in the site being unreachable for a time.
    I just wonder why vanilla forums comes up if that's the case. It seems like it must be something through them...
    edited January 2016
    Yay!!! It's FINALLY fixed!!!!
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,575
    Can we enable https on this forum? I get this when connecting:

ricecakesid3windr
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
    I too would like it if we can get https for the forum.
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,953
    ^ ^^ HTTPS is enabled - you're using it in that screenshot!

A certificate that is valid for the correct hostname is what you want :)
    MaffyDricecakesid3windrSprinkleOtter
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,575
    ^ you know what I mean. Smarty pants :-)
    paul_mertonsid3windr