Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

New Hoth Rebel minifig?

B0SSKB0SSK In the PubMember Posts: 175
I am sure you guys are aware of this new MF, but I only spotted this today. (ucs hoth rumour fuel to the fire !!) 

skip to 2:08......  

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,314
    Ewok warrior and Jawa price should drop, that's good.

It probably is a new Hoth figure, but the torso at least will likely be in the new sets.

I know the R2 and C-3PO figures are based on this Ralph McQuarrie christmas cards, but they are awful. For me, they are the worst Lego SW Christmas themed figures ever!

• ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,288
    edited June 2015
    I normally get really excited for those Christmas Star Wars mini figures, but yes, these are the worst two yet - the last two christmas astromechs have been awesome which only shines a light on how bad these are. I'll probably still get the advent calendar, the other mini figures included are quite good, it'll definitely be nice to have a Jawa without buying the sand crawler.
  • BACbrixBACbrix AmericaMember Posts: 655
    Including droid it appears we only receive 7 minifigures. Is that correct? If so that is way too few. Especially since C3PO, R2D2, and the Assassin Droid (may have another name) are three droid adding to that count. Hoth trooper, stormtrooper, ewok, and jawa makes 4 regular figures and two of which have small legs. I feel overall unhappy with the "exclusive" sanata 3PO and R2D2 is a joke. Hmmmmm the hoth trooper is neat and the jawa and Ewok soldier are the cheapest form to get in this set. Kinda a let down...
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 866
    Finally a calendar with army building!  Stormie, ewok, jawas, AND rebel soldier?
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,410
    @hoyatables
    I hope you are being sarcastic!
    @CCC
    Well at least if you buy this advent calender you will have a complete R2-D2. Just toss the antlers, and Voilà! Last year's R2 droid had a cone with a x-mas tree print. Fortunately I bought that mini-X-wing set #75032 that comes with a (IMO) matching astro-mech dome, so for a head I replaced it with that, and ditched that cone element, and put it in the interior of Santa's Arctic sweat-shop #10245 .

IMO they might as well skip these x-messy minifigs, I don't care for C3PO or Darth-Vader dressed up as santa. Put in some more proper minifigs! Preferably rare obscure minifigs, such as e.g. a Death-Star droid or an aunt Beru minifig etc. To conclude my rant; why is the content of these SW advent calenders so penny-pinching dismally stingy?! All of the castle themed advent calenders I bought in the past contained lots of extra weapons, utensils, helmets, hairpieces, and no micro builds, but minifig scale builds. TLG does not even bother to give each minifig a weapon/utensil, you have to take those from the little builds from other days. That is if you even wait to open one box/bag a day, and not just build all those little measly thingies in one go.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,288
    IMO they might as well skip these x-messy minifigs, I don't care for C3PO or Darth-Vader dressed up as santa. Put in some more proper minifigs! Preferably rare obscure minifigs, such as e.g. a Death-Star droid or an aunt Beru minifig etc. 
    While there are many figs I'd love that TLG repeatedly skip, things like the advent calendar figs are those that you really have to remember are aimed at kids, not at AFOLs or full on Star Wars collectors. To my mind the xmas themed figures are a great idea, they make the advent calendar at least a little bit christmassy.
    The bigger issue is TLG not putting figures like aunt Beru in the Sandcrawler set, where a premium is paid and there is more of an obvious appeal to the adult collectors.
    gmonkey76khmellymel
    ^
    As if kids are going to be like: "Whoaaa Dad! Look today's build is a C3PO, doesn't he look fabulous in his red attire!" or "Look Mum! Isn't this cool, it is the evil Darth Vader plotting to take over the galaxy, and that is why he is pretending to by Santa, he is so wicked in his ways with the force. Moehahahaha!"
    You want to create an Xmassy feel for the kids?! Nail some socks to the hearth, and chuck a pine tree in the living room and decorate the thing. The box of the adventcalender being chrismassy is chrismassy enough, make its contents proper little nifty Lego builds and figs!
    ps.
    At least C3PO's parts can be used to upgrade an older version of him without leg printing, his torso can be used on one of those little Santa helper elves, or some other miniMOCfig. The beard can be used for other minifigs too.
    pps.
    This is of course only my own humble opinion on these weighty matters.
  • donutboydonutboy U.K.Member Posts: 738
    edited June 2015
    Although 7 minifigures is less than usual I have got all of the SW advent calendars so far and undoubtedly will get this one as well. Every year people seem unhappy with the value of them overall but I find you can always get them cheaper, with a Tesco voucher double up or Argos normally have a fiver off somewhen  in the run up to Christmas. New Star Wars Lego for 24 days in a row is too much fun to pass up in our house. Although I will admit that some of the models are a bit iffy this year, and have been in the past.
  • JayEmJayEm United KingdomMember Posts: 62
    This seems a good opportunity to ask- does anyone else really dislike the new Hoth Rebel helmets we've had since 2010? They look so oversized and silly to me, sitting far too high on top of the head, and the goggles cover the entire face.
  • Stvoyager04Stvoyager04 Member Posts: 117
    @TheBigLegoski - I think your comments could fall under the thread "One AFOL's Treasure Is Another AFOL's Trash"

Personally I think the Christmas themed figs are great and after all shouldn't an advent calendar contain some Christmas themed items? Isn't that the whole point of an advent calendar?
    ShibDrmnezkhmellymel
    I thought the point of an advent calendar was to count the days to Christmas.
    johnhenzTheBigLegoski
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 857
    "An Advent calendar is a special calendar used to count or celebrate the days in anticipation of Christmas." Technically right on both counts. It is weird when advent calendars don't have Xmas in mind
    @Stvoyager04
    "I think the Christmas themed figs are great and after all shouldn't an advent calendar contain some Christmas themed items?"
    I don't see why the minifigs should have a Christmas theme print. Next to the fact that those little gifts are no Christmas gifts themselves but 'advent' gifts counting the days to Christmas (as @CCC also pointed out), most gifts people give one another on Christmas usually do not have a Christmas theme either. Just because there is a tradition with Christmas to give presents does not extend to the gifts themselves being embroidered, decorated with typical X-massy mistletoe etcetera designs, apart from the gift wrapping, rendering those gifts if they were decorated / designed as such (jewellery, clothing, toys, gadgets etc.) not that appropriate, or desirable the rest of the year.
    'One AFOL's Treasure Is Another AFOL's Trash'
    I got the same feedback from the kids. They valued those X-massy SW minifigs least high compared to the other 'regular' ones included, that to them had a much higher play-value, and looked much 'cooler'. Of all the minifigs included in #75056 they liked Darth-Santa least. Also the non-licensed castle advent calender sets I bought (for myself or as gifts) in the past never included minifigs that have any x-mass print or theme going on. Yet kids like them all the same, or even better, because they can use them and integrate these minifigs into their favourite Lego themes without feeling as if these minifigs are out of place/ do not belong there.

ps.
    N.B.: This year's SW advent calender contains very few minifigs: Jawa; Ewok; Stormtrooper; Rebel Hoth soldier; C3PO; R2D2; Assassin droid. So only seven opposed to nine last year. Though I do like all those figs except for C3PO myself, there is nothing exclusive about them. Of course it is nice to obtain a Jawa that otherwise is only included in a set that costs €329,99 (in NL) and out of reach for many people, but a unique (non x-massy) minifig, as well as more figures, would offer more incentive to buy this set.
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    Of course it is nice to obtain a Jawa that otherwise is only included in a set that costs €329,99 (in NL) and out of reach for many people [...]
    If one can afford a $40 advent calendar, a minifigure that goes for $11 on BL shouldn't be too hard to source.
    ^
    I did not claim the contrary, but it is not really the point is it, nor does it detract anything from what I wrote earlier. It would seem quite ludicrous to me to buy this set only for that minifig.
    With regard to BL, those Jawa minifigs will most likely become cheaper next year when they are being resold on bricklink, parted out from the advent calender set as opposed to the Sand Crawler set now. The Ewok that is also included in the Ewok Village set can also be sourced from BL, but how many parents even know there is such a thing as BL. For €40 there are other sets to be had too, I was just weighing some of my pros and cons with regard to this set, and advent calender sets in general.
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    It's remarkably early for "Bah! Humbug!". We haven't even reached Mid-Summer!
    ShibStvoyager04BumblepantsdonutboykhmellymelGoldchains
  • LordofLegoLordofLego Member Posts: 311
    And of course it has "Disney" plastered all over the corner of the box. We KNOW already that Disney owns Star Wars! We have six new movies reminding us!
    ^SW episodes 7, 8, and 9, Rogue One, a Boba Fett movie, which is cool, and an Ewan McGregor Obi-Wan movie. In case anyone wanted to know, but didn't. 

More on-topic, I rather like the Christmas Card droids. I might actually need this advent calendar.
  • B0SSKB0SSK In the PubMember Posts: 175
    Bloody Disney, don't get me started on that evil organisation.
    SumoLego
  • JayEmJayEm United KingdomMember Posts: 62
    Obi Wan movie is just a rumour.
  • wardmwardm BelgiumMember Posts: 604
    you could count the droid that comes with the sandcrawler as another minifig... 
    I remember that this particular droid made me laugh as a kid, because it looked funny in the movie :smile: 
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,442
    I love seeing Christmas related items in the Advent calendar.

But I think it's time they create a yearly set for Hannukah, Kwanzaa...even Eid (though in July).
    edited June 2015
    ^^  Give me strength...............    
    I can see it now, the Ramadam lego star wars calendar, complete with buildable burqa minifig with slit eyes burqa, 2x4 tile prayer mat, beared men with swords and miniture mosque.    :/

The clue is in the name CHRISTmas. 
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Just a reminder, but TLG is a Christian company if religion comes into play. I highly doubt they would cede the Advents to be a Muslim themed offering, especially in this day and age.
    pharmjod
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,235
    edited June 2015
    Actually the one thing that's bugged me a bit about the Star Wars Lego Christmas Advent in the past is... that it's not actually all that Christmas-y.  I mean, yes presents aren't normally Christmas themed.  But one fig does not make an advent calendar Christmasy.  Normally when I buy an advent calendar, like the chocolate ones, I like to get the chocolates that have a Christmas mould.  In that way, I actually prefer the Friends advent to the Stars Wars one because it seems way more Christmas focused - like you get little present builds, sleds, trees, etc.  Besides, I like having my Santa Yoda visit the Santa Village every year.
    Just a reminder, but TLG is a Christian company if religion comes into play. I highly doubt they would cede the Advents to be a Muslim themed offering, especially in this day and age.

You do realise that my comment about the muslim advent calendar was tongue in cheek?!!!  :)
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    edited June 2015
    Oops, there was no 'smiley face' only a 'not satisfied until I get my wish-face', my bad lol!
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,442
    I get it.

But there has to be other ways to celebrate cultures via Lego.

They create Lunar New Year sets. Do you celebrate the Lunar New Year? I don't.

Reaching across cultures sometimes helps a brand transcend its product, but I recognize that doing it incorrectly may damage it.

If TLG creates a set of Alhambra, I'm sure many would look past its Muslim history and just build it.

Why? Lego is a toy. The whole ethos behind the yellow minifigure is that they are without race or culture. The child (or adult) playing with them can decide who it is or what they do.

Doing culture will often mean doing religion, as the two go hand in hand for many cultures. Whereas in much of the west, Christmas (at least the commercial Christmas holiday (for UK) or season (for US)) has little to do with Christianity.

There are alternatives out there - for example, there is a clone company that makes Jewish sets. Is this culture or is it religion?

I'm glad Lego doesn't go there.

If an asian or arabic cultural set was made, I would expect many people would be offended - why are those rich mainly white Western kids mocking our religion / culture through toys?

VorpalRyuTheBigLegoski
  • donutboydonutboy U.K.Member Posts: 738
    Also, watching the video again, this is the first Original Trilogy only calendar, so, we may get fewer minifigures but there aren't any rubbish Battle Droids, or Super Battle Droids.
    gmonkey76
    CCC said:

Why? Lego is a toy. The whole ethos behind the yellow minifigure is that they are without race or culture. The child (or adult) playing with them can decide who it is or what they do.

Doing culture will often mean doing religion, as the two go hand in hand for many cultures. Whereas in much of the west, Christmas (at least the commercial Christmas holiday (for UK) or season (for US)) has little to do with Christianity.

There are alternatives out there - for example, there is a clone company that makes Jewish sets. Is this culture or is it religion?

I'm glad Lego doesn't go there.

If an asian or arabic cultural set was made, I would expect many people would be offended - why are those rich mainly white Western kids mocking our religion / culture through toys?

I was unaware these types of sets exist!

That's cool.

I wouldn't mock cultures if Lego decided to make some of them.
    Then again, I'm not in that aforementioned group.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,579
    I find the distinction in that Lego is acknowledging the secular/commercial gift-giving aspects and not the religious aspects of Christmas.

R2-D2 in a Santa suit is a far cry from a Jesus Crucifixion minifig.

More like Xmas from Futurama.  Minus the homicidal Robot Santa.
    VorpalRyu
  • GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 795
    SumoLego said:
    I find the distinction in that Lego is acknowledging the secular/commercial gift-giving aspects and not the religious aspects of Christmas.

R2-D2 in a Santa suit is a far cry from a Jesus Crucifixion minifig.

More like Xmas from Futurama.  Minus the homicidal Robot Santa.
    Well....I think that C-3PO is pretty close to a homicidal robot Santa. Now I want Futurama minifigs....
    VorpalRyuSumoLego
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,303
    ^ Me too! TLG where is the Futurama Lego?!? Make it happen! :smiley: 
    GoldchainsGalactusSumoLegoxiahna
  • GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 795
    edited June 2015
    All we need is one set. The Planet Express ship with Fry, Leela, Bender, Professor Farnsworth, Amy, Hermes, and Zoidberg. Maybe add Zapp Branigan and Kif and my life would be complete.
    MathiasVorpalRyuSumoLego
    I was unaware these types of sets exist!

That's cool.

I wouldn't mock cultures if Lego decided to make some of them.
    Then again, I'm not in that aforementioned group.
    One person saying they wouldn't mock the culture is not really the point. If lego made them, they would be (1) making toys about someone's religion and (2) doing it for profit. (1) Reduces a religion to a play set and some people will believe that religion is not for play, especially by people not even conforming to that religion, and (2) making profit out of someone's religion again is not going to put lego in a very good light. It seems it is OK for the organised religion to make money from the religion, but not third party manufacturers.

VorpalRyu
  • ModulaRModulaR USMember Posts: 39
    All we need is one set. The Planet Express ship with Fry, Leela, Bender, Professor Farnsworth, Amy, Hermes, and Zoidberg. Maybe add Zapp Branigan and Kif and my life would be complete.
    I would love Futurama Lego so much. The Planet Express could definitely catch most of the essential characters, but I would also love a line of robot mini figures like Calculon, the Robot Devil, URL.

Pity that Futurama is not nearly as prominent a license as The Simpsons.
    SumoLego
    edited June 2015
    Lets please keep any bloody religious rubbish out of these forums.   
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    Yes, let's.
    B0SSK said: 
    I can see it now, the Ramadam lego star wars calendar, complete with buildable burqa minifig with slit eyes burqa, 2x4 tile prayer mat, beared men with swords and miniture mosque.    :/
    SumoLego
    How ironic 

SumoLego
    JayEm said:
    Obi Wan movie is just a rumour.
    Apparently now there are rumors it will be a trilogy. I sense a theme here. 

First, they'll make their Obi-Wan Trilogy. Then, the actor who plays Boba Fett in his movie will "decide" he wants to make two more movies. After that, two more really unsurprising Rogue One movies, and finally...

Disney buys every single movie and franchise in the history of ever!

But even though you probably can't tell, I'm actually excited about the new Star Wars movies.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,579
    Futurama is religion!  
    ^^^   Respect !   Futurama rocks ! :)
    SumoLego
  • sonsofscevasonsofsceva 1904 World's FairMember Posts: 539
    What about the Gypsy CMF with the Tarot cards? That would be a culture AND a religion.
    Same with the Polynesian with the "Tiki" mask and the bone in his hair.
    And the Native American chief with all of his ceremonial garb.
    Oh...and the Taj Mahal...with four, still used today, minarets...

I am not trying to get into an actual religion conversation, I just want to note that the notion that LEGO will not create 'religious' sets or figures is, at best, rather inconsistent.

...And I want an Expert Notre Dame.
    LordofLego
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 955

Just posted on Eurobricks (credit to Tariq J) a new Battle of Hoth mini movie:

http://www.lego.com/en-us/starwars/movies/movies/2015-mini-movie-ep-11-battle-of-hoth

I'm hoping this is a serious hint!

TXLegoguy
  • Coolguy5000Coolguy5000 Ireland Member Posts: 1,534
    New hoth leia! 
  • lomislomis Austin, Texas, USAMember Posts: 4
    New hoth leia! 
    ...along with R3-A2, K-3PO, Bren Derlin (John Ratzenberger), and Wes Janson.
    Coolguy5000