Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

When will the Heavy-Haul Train 60098-1 be available in the U.S.?

tefarreltefarrel Member Posts: 49
i see it's available overseas, but not here yet. I need it!!!

Comments

• tefarreltefarrel Member Posts: 49
    Bump
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,506
    When they run out of the currently unwanted #60052 sets they have in stock?
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,711
    oldtodd33 said:
    When they run out of the currently unwanted #60052 sets they have in stock?
    I do not think it is 'unwanted' more like 'over priced'. I think many people want the set, but only want to pay around 150 USD (which is what I feel it is worth). I think the fact that Amazon.co seem to sell many of them at the reduced price they had them for.
    Same with the High speed train. I'm not saying #60052 is a fantastic set, it is not , but I think if it were cheaper many more would be buying.

I see the same issue with this Heavy haul train coming out.
    A rehash of an engine from a not too far gone train set (#7939), and a few uninteresting cars is not not much better IMO. Especially when that set is likely either 179.99-199.99 USD. While I will want one just for my collection I will also be waiting for this to hopefully appear on Amazon overseas at a substantially reduced price to pull the trigger on buying one, especially if they are only found on LEGO or overpriced at TRU in the US.
    gmonkey76TXLegoguyTheLoneTensorcrazycarlteal93mr2
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Yeah, it's unfortunate this set exists, because the title implies so much more.  I look at it as a boring entry into the overall line that took up a slot where a different, really kickass train could have gone.

If you add in the also-color-swaped High Speed Passenger Train and no Expert train in sight, this was a very boring (and lazy) release year for trains.
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    Yeah, it's unfortunate this set exists, because the title implies so much more.
    In Europe, "heavy haul" is just a fashionable expression, and might mean less than 4000 tonnes - a tenth of what you might find in some countries.
    Yeah, it's unfortunate this set exists, because the title implies so much more.  I look at it as a boring entry into the overall line that took up a slot where a different, really kickass train could have gone.

If you add in the also-color-swaped High Speed Passenger Train and no Expert train in sight, this was a very boring (and lazy) release year for trains.
    You might have to get used to it. City sets probably have to be reasonably modern to have appeal. There's less variation amongst modern trains. Globalisation reduces the number of manufacturers and they tend to build similar products to meet the increasing number of regulations and target multiple markets.
    Modern doesn't really have anything to do with it.  There are plenty of things that go on in a modern freight trainyard that could be translated into Lego form.  #60052 is the only set of this cycle that tapped that meaningfully.
    gmonkey76
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    Modern doesn't really have anything to do with it.  There are plenty of things that go on in a modern freight trainyard that could be translated into Lego form.  #60052 is the only set of this cycle that tapped that meaningfully.
    People have complained about locomotives or passenger trains looking similar to previous versions. That is the modern way, at least in Europe - which is TLG's doorstep.

Freight trains tend to be of a single wagon type and run for one company between two points without any real use of yards (except recessing trains for timetabling purposes). It's different in America where a train might travel for hundreds of miles so remarshalling, and therefore small loads and a variety of wagons, makes sense and doesn't have too much impact on transit times.
    edited June 2015
    I don't think reality is a good enough excuse to stifle creativity and variety.  This is an imaginative toy, after all.
    pharmjoddougts
  • crazycarlcrazycarl USAMember Posts: 392
    I bought a #60052 from TRU with a coupon and got it for $160 after tax.  That is a good deal.  $199 is way overpriced.  That being said I will prob get another when they go on sale. I will be skipping the #60098 altogether. looks too much like #7939 with less appealing freight cars.  This will be the 3rd train I have skipped in 5+ years now.
    What were the other 2?  (I'll toss out a guess: Horizon Express and High Speed Passenger)
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,366
    I really hope a new Creator Expert train arrives in January. Not holding my breath though.
    crazycarl
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,657
    @crazycarl, check Amazon UK for trains, they have sweet deals. No too long ago, you could get a #60052 for $125. Arrived in perfect condition in 3 days.
    madforLEGOcrazycarlpharmjod
    I don't think reality is a good enough excuse to stifle creativity and variety.  This is an imaginative toy, after all.
    Agreed. The fact that a tanker car was missing speaks volumes to this. Are they saying that they could not fit a tanker car, of oil, gas or anything liquid for that matter (in case they are worried about the eco people), into ONE of these sets.  A cattle gondola car with one cow? They could not even put two cows into a set? The spools are a neat idea, but must not cost much in making a flatbed car with two large parts on it. Not even a inter-model container car? Disappointing to say the least. Just seems like the designers phoned it in a bit. I really am starting to wonder that this glut of lines lately is hindering a bit of the creative juices in LEGO's design dept. You could argue #60052 was built this way for cost savings, but for 199.99 USD retail I think more could have been designed into this set.
    And where to begin with the Heavy Hauler? Presumably supposed to be a 'cheaper' alternative to #60052?
    A rehash of #7939 engine and really uninspired cars along with a gantry crane. Again no tanker, no inter-model container car. I bunch of flatbeds and a tiny hopper car. However will likely still only cost about 20 USD less than the #60052. Looks like a lot more than 20 USD is missing compared to the #60052 IMO (which again appears to be overpriced).
    Which goes back to the opinion that LEGO is charging more for less and it is becoming a disturbing trend as well.

Also Amazon.co selling of the #60052 train for 125 USD could speak volumes about how cheap this train could be for LEGO to sell to retailers. I doubt Amazon would want to be losing money over these, currency exchange between countries or not and that sale lasted for days, so I doubt it was a glitch in pricing.

• BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,366
    ^yeah they are pretty much all flat cars with a bit of fluff on top. #60052 was incredibly boring to build.
    I think from a parents point of view the set is expensive. I think from a kids point of view there isn't much to wow over. The one steer is lame, the two spools are almost useless and the crane doesn't have much to do if this set were all they had to play with. although it does have it's good features with the fork lift and truck to play around with. I also think that the blue color of the engine was the wrong choice simply because it is blue and that not only doesn't show it's details well but is kind of boring for an engine as opposed to red or yellow or orange. 

I won't say that I hate the set because any train set is a good one for me but it's not the best set it could have been. 
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,405
    I thought the Blue engine was a good build, but the rest of the set was blah. I really enjoyed building the new Train Station. Loved the little Lego store.
  • crazycarlcrazycarl USAMember Posts: 392
    What were the other 2?  (I'll toss out a guess: Horizon Express and High Speed Passenger)
    unfortunately one was the emerald night :-<. and the other 2 you are right on.  Im also skipping the new passenger train.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,909
    I put my vote in for a forward cab Berkshire...
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    Just to chime in, I will say that I just gave the Cargo Train set to my son (4.5 yrs old), and it blew his mind. LOVES it. Tons of play features for him. I say that just as a counterpoint when we assess what we "assume" kids want, when compared to actual experience with kids opening, building, and playing with LEGO sets. Those assumptions can be way off the mark sometimes. 
    I bet his head would have exploded if it had 2 cows.
    TheLoneTensor perhaps. Having played with the set, I don't see how two cows would even fit in that train car. There is the farmer, the hay, the water pouch, the bucket. There isn't room for two cows and actually be able to play with it at all. 
    I hope you realize I was only joking because of the many comments about "only one cow" and that one more cow would have made this closer to a "good deal" of a set.

But, if we're going to really analyze it and justify the possibility of 2 cows in this set, a) I don't think intent would ever be to have the farmer in the car with both cows, and b) when both cows would be stowed for travel, I would think the hay and everything else would be stacked neatly away.
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 800
    I bet his head would have exploded if it had 2 cows.
    I bet his head would have exploded it if had a two-headed brahmin  
    BombTec
    I hope you realize I was only joking because of the many comments about "only one cow" and that one more cow would have made this closer to a "good deal" of a set.

But, if we're going to really analyze it and justify the possibility of 2 cows in this set, a) I don't think intent would ever be to have the farmer in the car with both cows, and b) when both cows would be stowed for travel, I would think the hay and everything else would be stacked neatly away.
    My 'one cow' comment is more on the price than the quality of set. for 199.99 USD it should have at least 2 cows among many other things (like a tanker)
    Yes, the UK thing was a hell of a deal, certainly worth only getting one cow for those prices.
    madforLEGOSumoLego
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,160
    Amazon in the U.S. has the cargo train for $150 and I've been contemplating buying it. We just got our apartment cleaned up and there are two big open areas in our bedroom where I could put a table for it. 

I don't think $150 for it is too bad considering the price of the Power Functions parts alone is around $49 MSRP.

At $200 though, it's over priced for my liking.

Compared to the new one, I like the cars of the new one better I think (although a helicopter is a strange cargo choice), but definitely prefer the locomotive of the cargo train. Plus the cargo train just seems to have a little more to it, even though the heavy haul train has more pieces.

I'm also considering getting it simply because I'm thinking about paying up for the Maersk train down the line and would love to already have the track and PF parts for it.
    Okay engineers... try to fit in that extra cow:
     :) 

We can try to work it like the Jack/Rose life raft conundrum at the end of Titalnic:

GothamConstructionCo
    ^ Remove the farmer and insert a steer since riding with cattle is unsafe anyway. 
    brickupdatemadforLEGO
    Um, rotate one 180?  That even leaves room for the farmer to remain if he was so inclined.  Heck, with some modifications to one side, I bet we could fit 3 or 4 cows into that thing.
    binaryeyebrickupdate
    Or here is a silly thought, make a bigger cattle car/gondola
    Shave those horns off and we'll get 7 in that car :)
    SumoLego
    @brickupdate Here you are.
    TXLegoguymadforLEGOTheLoneTensorbrickupdateSirBenBombTecdougts
    oldtodd33 You just bent all of reality! What is next?! 
    oldtodd33
  • BrewBrew New Mexico (It's an actual state in the US)Member Posts: 182
    That's not safe... Btw, how do they get in and out? Via a Jurassic park feeding harness?
    I noticed today going through the train listings on Ebay that TRU Ebay has the new 60098 listed for sale at $199.99 for anyone interested. 
  • 3stackshs3stackshs Member Posts: 299
    What's weird is right from release it has been available in Japan for about $135.00.  
    ^ That's so Japan can have it's turn at reselling to us. 
    Ill be watching Amazon UK for this set as it will likely be cheaper (even with shipping ot the US). This set and #60097
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    It is available August 1st for $199.99.