Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Real or Fake figures?

AceCobra1AceCobra1 UKMember Posts: 565
Hi guys,

Any ideas if these Super Heros figures are fakes? It looks like it but not sure.

Comments

• ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,045
    seeing as that includes a SDCC exclusive and I can see at least 2 custom parts the safe money is on fake.
    andhePitfall69OmastarGCSLego
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,303
    Superman looks like a fake, his hair doesn't look right.

The simplest thing to do is to take the heads off and look for the logos. Although I guess this is a lot you are thinking of purchasing, so just ask the direct question "Are they fake?" to the seller. Specifically ask about Captain America.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,045
    ^Also Superman's cape appears to be a Batman cape in red
  • AceCobra1AceCobra1 UKMember Posts: 565
    When considering the price, assume any rarer ones and any SH ones to be fake. The cheaper ones probably are real, as are most if not all of the sets.
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    100% Fake.
    1. Robin looks like he has short legs that bend
    2. Captain America's shield shouldn't have the black outlines on the shield
    3. As @Shib pointed out, Superman's cape is Batman's cape in red
    3. SDCC Zur En Arrh Batman doesn't come with that grey batterang
    4. One of spider man's legs appears to be longer than the other
    5. Batman's face looks miss printed.

There's definitely fake LEGO in there, but most of it looks reals since he has the box and stuff. I don't know enough about the non superhero figures to say if they are fake or not. 
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,649
    The superhero ones are fake. All the reasons mentioned above, and the colours, printing and quality of the plastic is all 'off'. The Indiana Jones stuff looks legit, and the stars warsfigs look ok, but I'm not enough of a fan to recognise the individual troopers, so potential for fakery there as well.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,489
    Anything without an obvious box or companion set should be strongly scrutinized.
  • Coolguy5000Coolguy5000 Ireland Member Posts: 1,500
    Seems  that superheroes  are fake.  Bought some  of  these really cheaply so I can  compare  when  buying. Robin  is 100% fake he has bendable  legs. They are starting  to  do  this regularly  so  it is easier  to  spot  fake short legged minifigures 
    khmellymel
    I thought it was fake when I saw superman but I wonder why he said it is real. I was going to email him to give him a heads up but don't think I'll bother just in case he thinks I am being vindictive lol
  • LuLegoLuLego UKMember Posts: 859
    The bottom row are all 'genuinely Lego compatible' !
    batman's cowl doesn't even fit.

if they are on ebay, then they are probably 'rare' too. 
    SumoLego
    Well, it went for £190! It must be all "genuinely good!"
    andhe
    I'm sure they are real to him!
  • LordofLegoLordofLego Member Posts: 311
    LuLego said:
    The bottom row are all 'genuinely Lego compatible' !
    batman's cowl doesn't even fit.

if they are on ebay, then they are probably 'rare' too. 
    The cowl may not be pushed all the way on, but...
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,224
    Seems  that superheroes  are fake.  Bought some  of  these really cheaply so I can  compare  when  buying. Robin  is 100% fake he has bendable  legs. They are starting  to  do  this regularly  so  it is easier  to  spot  fake short legged minifigures 
    Well that's an interesting use for fakes!  Never thought to do that... 
  • LuLegoLuLego UKMember Posts: 859
    I regularly deliberately look at the fakes on ebay so that I know what to avoid.

all of the new age of ultron figures have been copied (and rather well too) and they are now putting out complete sets, the most recent being a copy of the old quinjet. On ebay item 121669466283  is an example of this (only look at this item if you are prepared to be outraged!)

Fortunately the fake sets don't say lego on the studs so are easy to detect...but buyers beware on the internet when you can't actually 'see' the item closely and are relying on the seller's description.

i am amazed that they are actually putting out complete sets now using lego designs. It is a step too far.
    andhe
  • Coolguy5000Coolguy5000 Ireland Member Posts: 1,500
    They use lego's  ghost buster minifigures images as well  on some listings .then the actual item is quite different. 
    I think one of my 'favourite' fakes so far (in that it made me laugh) was a set of 'The LeLe Movie' figures including fake Emmet, Wildstyle et al.
  • B0SSKB0SSK In the PubMember Posts: 175
    I just got suckered guys, and I never normally fall for the fake minifig scammers. See the ebay sellers page here ---> http://stores.ebay.co.uk/minifigurefavouritesuk?_trksid=p2047675.l2563 The guy has 100% feedback, and the figure I bought was rocket raccoon from guardians of the galaxy. Damn this guy is good. What gives it away is the figure comes in pieces, and in a small plastic bag, but the bag is not the same quality as the lego set bags, and the black studded base has no lego logo on the studs. For £2.75 delivered I should have known, and at that price who really cares if it fake, but jeez, his ad even stated it was a lego figure! Surely this is copyright infringement or some other legal no-no? It would have been nice if the ad stated that is a custom NOT lego MF. (see the actual page that suckered me in !! --> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201367815285?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=500560867482&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT You gotta laugh ! :)
    It does say custom as the brand, but Lego in the title. Ask for a refund, if he refuses leave negative feedback and/ or contact trading standards.
  • BigHBigH Liverpool UKMember Posts: 79
    I think he'll get away with it, as his add does say 'Lego compatible' in capital letters. Others use 'fits with Lego'.
    andhe
    Agreed - I would request a refund. The rest of his listings are clearly non-Lego. I wish the Groot and Daredevil were real figures!
    If I can go off a bit! Can anyone tell me about markings on older figs like stormtroopers? Got them with the logo on neck, hips in black and inside feet. But some don't, and my nineties figs don't have them in the feet, definitely genuine as I bought them retail when launched. Is the feet thing something Lego have done on later models? Sorry if hijack.
  • XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    edited June 2015

Whatever eBay says it doesn't matter what disclaimers he does or doesn't try to use. It's clearly not a licensed product, and therefore under UK law is counterfeit.

Whether eBay will pay any notice to the law, and whether you're willing to go the distance necessary to force them to be held to it or not is another question, but you're legally within your rights to demand a refund either way unless the seller can prove that the product he sold you was developed under license from Marvel.

If eBay wont act, then as CCC says, contact Trading Standards. The law is 100% on your side here, but getting it enforced can always be difficult.

BigH said:
    If I can go off a bit! Can anyone tell me about markings on older figs like stormtroopers? Got them with the logo on neck, hips in black and inside feet. But some don't, and my nineties figs don't have them in the feet, definitely genuine as I bought them retail when launched. Is the feet thing something Lego have done on later models? Sorry if hijack.
    Short answer - yes. The Lego Logo on the inside of the feet is relatively new.
    SumoLego said:
    BigH said:
    Short answer - yes. The Lego Logo on the inside of the feet is relatively new.
    Great thanks.
    edited June 2015
    The more hardcore SW/Batman minifigure collectors tend to know the transition dates when the logo appeared.

My referrence point is the minifigure keychains. I'll double check for the round-about year when the logo appeared in the feet.

• oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,370
    ^ Do any of you remember the thread @pitfall69 started detailing the info you are talking about?
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,300
    Here is the discussion, but I haven't had the time to do anymore research http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/19360/the-evolution-of-the-lego-minifigure#latest
    That's the kind of thing that would help if any one knows where it is. Good to know when the logo showed on feet too.
    edited June 2015
    @SumoLego , I have the Batgirl Keychain and she doesn't have Lego inside the feets, but the minifigure from the Joker's Steamroller set has them on the inside of the feet.
    The 2014 SW keychains have the feet logo. The keychains are really not the best bellwether for parts or changes.
    SumoLego said:
    Agreed - I would request a refund. The rest of his listings are clearly non-Lego. I wish the Groot and Daredevil were real figures!
    I think the daredevil is actually a copy of a design by one of the custom printers or at least it looks familiar. Can't remember who printed it originally.
    I'm sure about 25 years ago when faced with a huge box of extra minifig parts, someone said: "We could glue these together and sell them as keychains."
    VorpalRyu
    I think the geniune Groot is perhaps the worst figure out there.
  • Kevin_HyattKevin_Hyatt UKMember Posts: 778
    If they said it was LEGO abcd its a bootleg then get your cash back as iten not as described
  • sonsofscevasonsofsceva 1904 World's FairMember Posts: 536
    I have that exact Batman Zur en Arrh (sp) clone from China. Definitely fake. But there are a whole bunch of hero sets selling on Ebay from China that are all from the clone companies who could not care less about copyrights, etc.
  • B0SSKB0SSK In the PubMember Posts: 175
    I am not bothered about the money, I just mentioned it because the ad is misleading. It just annoys me that the general joe public are getting conned.  I have to say the quality of the fakes is very good, I just wish the scammers would make it clear in the ad and product decription that the actual minifig is NOT a lego product.  God I hate ebay at times :(
    Kevin_HyattSumoLegoDrLegOBrick
  • DrLegOBrickDrLegOBrick UKMember Posts: 68

Not sure whether these have been mentioned, but for anyone interested, some more signs of a fake:

Some brands have Captain America's shield not only silver, but have the star in the centre divided into segments like in the films

Nearly all the arms on any clone are "beefed up" compared to Lego

The plastic, particularly the hands and arms on some brands have a different finish to Lego (matt or extremely shiny)

Wolverine's claws are slightly more silver than regular Lego, or not silver at all in some cases

And of course the hideous legs and the triangular feet on some of the earlier complete copies of Lego figures.

Off topic, I know, but I personally like the clones. As someone on a limited budget, it offers me the opportunity to get copies of the extremely rare figures (comic cons, the 2012 Toyfair's, Maria Hill, Winter Soldier Cap, and Fury from the Helicarrier), and, as an avid fan of comics, the opportunity to get figures Lego will never make in all likelihood (Ultimate Wolverine, classic Grey Hulk, classic Hawkeye, Spider-Man 2099, Dr Doom 2099 etc). And besides, it saves me the time of making a torso, or even a figure, from hand.    

• BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    edited June 2015
    No matter how one rationalizes it, in the end you are still supporting counterfeiting and pirating of IP. It's better to go without and not participate in those endeavors.
    oldtodd33MrJ_NYSumoLegoGurooojadeireneShib
    @CapnRex101 - I assume thinly veiled attempts to sell bootleg minifigures is to be discouraged?
    Pitfall69
  • DrLegOBrickDrLegOBrick UKMember Posts: 68

Everybody's entitled to their own opinion, and I respect yours, and I understand it. I was just weighing in with my own opinion.

I don't like counterfeiting, I certainly don't like pirating of people's designs (it's happened to me in the past) and I sure as hell don't like supporting it, but if I can't get what I want from Lego, whether it be because a character's too obscure, I can't afford myself a D2C/convention exclusive because I don't have a couple of hundred to spare, Marvel's too caught up with a war of rewriting history with various other studios to currently forgo releasing certain teams, or because of a hundred other reasons. I'll buy myself my Perez Hawkeye, or Mr Fantastic, or Beast for a £1, and live with it, because it's available for a price I'm both metaphorically and literally willing to pay, make of that what you will as we say here.

Like I said, it's my opinion, it may not be popular, but it's mine and it's what I believe and stand by.

• 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,434
    No matter how one rationalizes it, in the end you are still supporting counterfeiting and pirating of IP. It's better to go without and not participate in those endeavors.
    I agree, but if you can't tell whether or not they're Lego, even in person (since some of the stampings are not clear on some pieces), then how can an educated (or even naive) customer know the difference?

Is there not a website that "outs" these frauds juxtaposing the genuine Lego with the fake releases out there?
    Personally, I would rather go without than purchase a counterfeit copy of a Lego minifigure. I am talking about a minifigure that is manufactured by someone other than Lego. I do not mind "custom" minifigures, but as long as they are not copying a current Lego minifigure, I am ok with it. 
    SumoLegoShib
  • NorlegoNorlego ScotlandMember Posts: 444
    In a lot of cases people whom buy fakes knowingly (or unknowingly) do it because they want something cheap and cheerful. Those that buy the genuine product do it partly because of the status symbol of owing something most people cant afford or get hold of.

I work in publishing and the amount of stealing of other peoples work is amazing. Everything from photos, layout to text get nicked in no time. Magazines/newspapers even employ people to nip into the archives to rewrite articles that were printed 10 years before... I read an article printed in the 30s and reprinted in the 80s, the only diiference was the articles text was moderized and the author was different... I am sure it is like this in other areas too.

I dont like the fake figures as they are not Lego, but I dont mind people buying them. Young children do not see the logic in paying £7 for a figure when a fake costs £1, in most cases they cant see the differance anyway. It is a bit hypocritical to say to the child to buy genuine figures and then go and download music...
    DrLegOBrick
    The world is full of hypocrisy, but who in this thread is illegally downloading music? I have the Amazon Music app and just buy albums and songs. I even buy songs I already have because I am too lazy to tranfer them to my phone.
    I used to record my friends' LPs onto cassette tapes when I was a kid. That was the 1980s equivalent of illegal downloads.
    Pitfall69SumoLegoMrJ_NY
  • bendybadgerbendybadger 127.0.0.1 ::1Member Posts: 1,141
    ^ and I used to record my mates tapes that had done this on my state of the art , hifi with dual cassette decks. Home taping was killing music back then :)
    Pitfall69SumoLego
  • NorlegoNorlego ScotlandMember Posts: 444
    I am sure you will find a lot of people downloading music illegally from say Youtube, to burn onto a CD. Not saying I do it though...
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,370
    edited June 2015
    I used to buy the album and record it to tape for my car but that's totally legal. I don't buy fakes though just out of morality.
    Pitfall69