Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego Ideas-World War Two Planes

2»

Comments

• LordofLegoLordofLego Member Posts: 311
    Never hurt to try, in 2013 The LEGO Cuusoo didn't approve my project with "Your project refers to a brand or licensed property that contains content or themes that do not fit the LEGO Group's standards for appropriate content"

Project was The Simpsons Living Room, I guess their standard changed a few months later :)
    Sometimes they don't make any sense. Nice... Icon thingy, whatever you call that. Avatar or something. Next to your username.
  • leego76leego76 Chandlers FordMember Posts: 360
    Unexpectedly exciting thread this has turned out to be..

If you want to put it up, then just put it up. What's the worst that could happen? It will get taken down? I wouldn't with this myself though as I don't think it will go anywhere fast

Not sure there's a lot more mileage in this thread, but never say never
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,964
    I submitted a project based on the original Command & Conquer: Red Alert game and it got deleted without warning. Tanks, missile launchers, submarines, third-party IP ... what could possibly go wrong?!

RA.png 268.3K
    TheLoneTensor
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,358
    In some ways I feel like LEGO are a little stricter with some of their guidelines than they need to be, but then something comes up like the 'LEGO now promoting satanism' after Monster Fighters claims and I feel like perhaps some people hold them to higher standards than other toy makers so it makes sense.

@paul_merton - while that's not something I'd buy personally I could see it being a nice display piece.
  • stustaffstustaff ukMember Posts: 50
    I quite like a little bit of this idea.

however thing it could be made more appealing(to some) if it covered the history of aviation.

step away from war a little.

eg start with the famous davinci sketch, then the wright brothers, then the classic biplane, then spitfire era, then first jet, first large passenger, Concorde etc.

i think also that difference in scale of planes would make the set more interesting.

imo as it is now its all too samey.

stustaff said:
    I quite like a little bit of this idea.

however thing it could be made more appealing(to some) if it covered the history of aviation.

step away from war a little.

eg start with the famous davinci sketch, then the wright brothers, then the classic biplane, then spitfire era, then first jet, first large passenger, Concorde etc.

i think also that difference in scale of planes would make the set more interesting.

imo as it is now its all too samey.

So basically...
    Don't do this project at all? Make them bigger, add more history, etc? It was hard enough figuring out how to build these. I appreciate the input. Some people don't write anything worth reading, but this would be fundamentally changing my project. I wanted to do this for the seventieth anniversary of the start of World War Two, so I can't really make it the history of aviation. I could make other planes of the same scale in another series that are like your idea, which is a very good idea, but I can't really make them bigger without making a full size model. It could be done, but not by me. These are about as big as I can build right now as I have used all the rest of my parts up on big planes :smile: 
    I'm not saying don't do it just giving my opinion.

how about stick with WW2 but include lancasters(my next door neighbour flew them during the war and we visited the new memorial not long ago).
    Do a blimp? Just maybe a few different pieces! include an airfield as base so people can display the set nicely.

i like the scale but think a few larger planes would make it less samey to the none plane expert :)
    stustaff said:
    I'm not saying don't do it just giving my opinion.

how about stick with WW2 but include lancasters(my next door neighbour flew them during the war and we visited the new memorial not long ago).
    Do a blimp? Just maybe a few different pieces! include an airfield as base so people can display the set nicely.

i like the scale but think a few larger planes would make it less samey to the none plane expert :)
     European planes are really difficult because I don't know a lot about them. I would like to have a few more British planes, but I don't think I could do a Lancaster. My B-17 turned out bad enough and I actually know what they look like. I only know the vague general shape of a Lancaster. I could do a blimp, but most Americans, at least, don't associate blimps with World War Two. London had barrage balloons, so I suppose I could include them as an easy way to appeal to more British people. The airfield you suggest is what I really like, though. I was concerned that a series of a bunch of tiny, collectible planes wasn't good enough to commemorate such an important event in history. With an airfield, I could make a runway, some mini buildings, and some sort of plaque and make it better. I could make some more British planes and build a set with a British airfield, one with an American airfield, and one with a German airfield. I could also have a few like my original idea that don't fit in in one of the airfields, like the Grumman Wildcat vs. the Mitsubishi Zero. You, sir, are a genius!
    So, I made a barrage balloon. I think the body turned out well, but... I apologise for the fins. I really am sorry. By the way, the bracket and the 1x2 technic thing are part of my little stand.

^it mght be a little small compared to the planes...
    Better? Worse?

• FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,507
    I have no idea what it is
    @Fauch Its a barrage balloon. They had them in Europe, mainly in London, England.
    Although I suppose you may have known about barrage balloons, but I may have built it so bad that you couldn't reckognise it.
    yeah you said it just above, but otherwise I would have no clue.
    Are you from America? Most Americans don't know much about World War 2, and almost none of us know about barrage balloons. Some celebrity thought World War 2 took place ten years ago. I didn't know about barrage balloons until earlier this year, so I'm not an expert. And if I saw someone build what I built I wouldn't instantly reckognise it as a barrage balloon either. If I included it with my British airfield idea I mentioned above, it would make more sense to more people. This wasn't going to be a stand-alone thing.
    For the barrage balloon it's hard to read as the pole needs to come from centre of model as that's such a recognisable feature(the rope holding them down)
    the fins look good in first pic I don't know lego enough to suggest a good way of mounting in centre.

I think what you could get to here is a really nice set. Keep tweaking and playing around.

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,423
    Basically,  they are "barbed wire" for incoming enemy aircraft. The "technical" name is barrage balloon, but they are blimps. Most people know what a blimp is.
    why everyone thinks I'm american?
    plasmodium
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,964
    I wanted to do this for the seventieth anniversary of the start of World War Two, 
    I think you missed the boat there!
    SuperTrampTheLoneTensorPitfall69dougtsnatro220
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited June 2015
    Are you from America? Most Americans don't know much about World War 2, and almost none of us know about barrage balloons. Some celebrity thought World War 2 took place ten years ago. I didn't know about barrage balloons until earlier this year, so I'm not an expert. And if I saw someone build what I built I wouldn't instantly reckognise it as a barrage balloon either. If I included it with my British airfield idea I mentioned above, it would make more sense to more people. This wasn't going to be a stand-alone thing.
    You got your answer.  You crapped on people who gave you advice you don't agree with.  You crapped on your fellow stupid Americans who didn't "reckognise" some of the more obscure hardware used in WWII.

Why you be trolling?
    dougtsnatro220
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    Fauch said:
    why everyone thinks I'm american?
    One person asking if you're American is a far cry from everyone thinking you're American.
    he's the 2nd one
    I wanted to do this for the seventieth anniversary of the start of World War Two, 
    Micro planes aside, I find this the most offensive.
    TheLoneTensordougts
  • SolariousSolarious Kalamazoo, MI, USAMember Posts: 317
    ^Only missed by something like 6 years 
    He meant the end of course but being a dumb American he didn't know the difference

Besides, if a miracle of sudden WW2 nostalgia washed over the Ideas voters it would likely still take close to the 2 full years- which means it'll be too late 

Start now on your 75th anniversary set
    stustaff said:
    For the barrage balloon it's hard to read as the pole needs to come from centre of model as that's such a recognisable feature(the rope holding them down)
    the fins look good in first pic I don't know lego enough to suggest a good way of mounting in centre.

I think what you could get to here is a really nice set. Keep tweaking and playing around.

I couldn't get it to balance in the five minutes it took to build it, but I didn't have much time for tweaking this morning.
    Sorry. I have a subscription to Smithsonian Air & Space magazine and I remembered the most recent issue had "70 years" on the cover. I thought it was the beginning, but it was actually the end. I didn't know if they meant the beginning of the war or just the beginning of American involvement. Turns out it was neither. I really just pretend to know all about history. Stupid mistake on my part.
    You got your answer.  You crapped on people who gave you advice you don't agree with.  You crapped on your fellow stupid Americans who didn't "reckognise" some of the more obscure hardware used in WWII.

Why you be trolling?
    I honestly don't try to sound mean. I was not trolling anyone, but anything I say online with any negative connotation comes out sounding condescending. I wasn't crapping on anyone, but most of the people with opinions I didn't agree with happened to present them in a rude way and I literally said in the very post you quoted that I wouldn't reckognise a barrage balloon. I really shouldn't have got into the "Americans are dumb" thing, even though I have lived here my whole life. It upsets me when other people say that, but for some reason I just up and decided to say it myself this morning. You haven't been the nicest person, but you're better than dougts was. I can't tell if you're actually ticked off or just jokingly mad. I can't really think someone who ends a post with "Why you be trolling?" is actually mad. It just sounds like something that would be said with a smile.
    Pitfall69 said:
    Micro planes aside, I find this the most offensive.
    Sorry again about that mishap. I was worried about offending people and then I mix up the ending of the war with the beginning. That was really dumb and it makes me wish you could delete posts. I am a disappointment to myself.

And sorry, @Fauch, for "reckognising" you as a fellow American, when you weren't. I should have just minded my own business. 
    If this helps anyone, this is the first discussion I have started.
    @Fauch Adding your location (France) didn't help your cause one bit ;) j/k 
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    This thread has been wildly and surprisingly entertaining in a myriad of ways!
    roxionatro220
    dougts said:
    This thread has been wildly and surprisingly entertaining in a myriad of ways!
    I was not expecting my first discussion to be this entertaining!
    natro220
    My grandfather flew several missions during WWII. As you know, B-17's flew in close formation while doing bombing runs. This pic was taken because an undetonated bomb got stuck in his bombers wing. They had to make an emergency landing behind enemy lines. Luckily,  they were picked up shortly after. 
    This is my grandfather (right) inspecting the damage done by the bomb.
    BrickDancerBumblepantsTheLoneTensor
    @Pitfall69 Cool story and photos! I wish I had a better B-17 for you, but... It's pretty terrible. Sorry. You have inspired me to try to build a new one, though, so we'll see if I can improve it.
  • AndyPolAndyPol UKMember Posts: 377
    I'm not going to get involved in the rights and wrongs of WW2 Lego (or any other kind of warfare), but all I want to say is that I think they are a good effort and actually quite well thought out considering you are using so few small pieces for each model.

I could recognise most of them instantly (that's what comes from growing up in the 70s reading Victor and Warlord comics and not having the sensitivities then about "don't mention the war")!
  • AndyPolAndyPol UKMember Posts: 377
    AndyPol said:

I could recognise most of them instantly (that's what comes from growing up in the 70s reading Victor and Warlord comics and not having the sensitivities then about "don't mention the war")!
    Basil: "Listen, don't mention the war! I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right." ;)
    Shibplasmodium