Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most disappointing & most surprising sets

ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 936
From the sets you own or have built, which set is the most disappointing?  
Which were you not expecting much but was a pleasant surprise and was a fun build?

My most disappointing has to be Spideman Helicopter Rescue and Spider-trike.  I bought both for the figs.  Even when I usually do, I end up somewhat enjoying the build.  With these two, I had no interest in the final product and wanted to disassemble them which is a rarity for me.

As for a pleasant surprise, one is he apple tree house.  This was my first creator set and only bought it because it was a Black Friday sale.  I really enjoyed the build and final look of the product.  Another is the city museum break in.  I also got this set on sale/clearance.  The set included a lot.  I enjoyed the little details of the museum as well as the look of the crooks' little red car. 

Comments

• MissKittyFantasticoMissKittyFantastico AustraliaMember Posts: 197
    Yeah, I can't say I have much love for the Spider-trike either - my Marvel New York shelf has a vacant space behind the Daily Bugle (which if it were further back on the shelf wouldn't have a good eyeline to the top) that's home to the trike, along with the Spider-bike, Deadpool's helicopter, and a handful of other Marvel vehicles superfluous to requirements.

I'd have to give most disappointing to #7752, Count Dooku's Solar Sailer.  The photos angle the model to make the hinged sail panels look much more dynamic than they really are, the rear doors have a big gap, and to be honest without sails it's just not the solar sailer.  Okay the set never claimed to have sails (and they'd be a tricky proposition to include), and I can't say I'd not have bought it anyway (I'm the completist type), but still, it's a weak showing.

Sticking with Star Wars, the pleasant surprise that I think most qualifies to my mind is a modest little set, #8128, Cad Bane's speeder.  In Star Wars terms it's basically just a generic car, but I had a really fun time building it, thought it looked great finished (helps that in the Star Wars galaxy even a 'generic car' is pretty cool), and wound up with a lot of affection for it.
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,313
    #76018 Hulk Lab Smash would have to be a bit of a disappointment, so flimsy that just moving it, you'll want the instructions on hand.

All of the SW Microfighters/Exclusive mini-fighters, these were actually fun builds. I bought a few just because & found myself collecting them all, then tracking down all the Exclusives that are similar in nature (http://brickset.com/sets?query=microfighters).
    xiahna
  • B_HollsB_Holls Member Posts: 41
    edited June 2015
    I agree on the Cad Bane's Speeder and the Solar Sailer. Hated the sailer feel apart so often I just gave up on putting it back together 
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,487

I'm not sure how you can get disappointed by Spiderman Helicopter Rescue and Spider-trike when they already look fugly and overpriced on here.

personnal "disappointments" :

Arkham Asylum Breakout. I don't mean it's bad, it's a really cool model, I was quite impressed, though, once finished, I expected something bigger. I mean, it was 600 pieces more than my second biggest model, yet it didn't really look bigger.

Alien mothership. Very large saucer, but with huge gaps. The model is basically a small saucer surrounded by a very large ring with lots of void in between. If the saucer had been the size of Alien abduction, I think it would have looked better. Then again, I don't think it's bad, but not as good as I expected.

biggest surprise :

Portal of Atlantis. on pictures, basically looked like a wall with a cool shark head and a stargate. Only bought it because it was really cheap. Well, it's not just a wall. I built the wall part first (instead of the middle section, as suggested in the manual) and I was impressed, it was actually like a small building and the gold looked good. The final model is big, larger than I expected, it is currently still my favourite model and it also has 2 of my favourite minifigs.

• ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 936
    Fauch said:

I'm not sure how you can get disappointed by Spiderman Helicopter Rescue and Spider-trike when they already look fugly and overpriced on here.

Yeah, I knew they were ugly even before I built them but they were even uglier afterwards, if that is possible.  Also, ther are many sets that I don't care for but end up being fun builds so I was optimistic with these two as well.

Couple other pleasant surprises are the galaxy squad Titan and vermin vaporizer.  I was familiar with he line and they were both fun builds.
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    Big surprise for me was the 75025 Jedi Defender-class Cruiser.
    I know very little about SW, especially expanded universe stuff, but this set was impressive for the build. A lot more technic than I was used to. I still haven't had as involved a build in a while. The final model was decent. I kept it together for quite some time, but I ended up tearing it apart because I thought I was going to build something else with it, but it took forever to take apart based on how solid of a build it was. I have since left it in a bag....

As for disappointments. I'd say the Dino T-Rex tracker set from 2012. The helicopter falls apart just by looking at it. I don't see how they expected a child to play with it. I had to put it back together too many times before I just parted it out. My daughter mostly liked the dino, so she didn't care about the chopper. Works for me.