Please use our links: LEGO.com • Amazon
Brickset.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, the Amazon.com.ca, Inc. Associates Program and the Amazon EU Associates Programme, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
It's funny how some sets spike, while others don't. And since no one throws Lego parts away, collections and quantities from generations of family continue rise and rise I'd think. And with each year, Lego produces more and more sets. At some point - there is a saturation level.
A quick check at Bricklink of the # of sets produced in 2011 vs 2001 vs 1991 vs etc. *Note that each Advent day counts as a set; as does each Collectible Minifigure; and there are quite a few variants listed individually for all kinds of stuff. General #s here people, multiplying off their grid of pages and eyeballing it...
Sets produced by year:
2011 - 424
2001 - 380
1991 - 152
1981 - 96
1971 - 84
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Lego is releasing multiple collectible minifigs each year (not really a set) and they also started releasing two Advent Calendars each year instead of one, the actual number of sets must have peaked several years ago and started dropping.
Another interesting statistic would be to see how many new sets were released each year with respect to the number of sets retired. It could give somewhat of an idea on what to expect regarding the number of sets (not which sets) to be EOL'd.
Statistical analysis provides a lot of interesting possibilities regarding what TLG is doing with their product lines.
one out! next? ;)
This was only available at one chain and [email protected] in Germany and said chain have now cut the price by 40%. 7938 & 7939
are both shown as carrying on into 2012 in German catalogue, 3677 isnt mentioned or pictured.
what are the odds this will disappear as quickly as it arrived?
While I am sure some of the smaller sets from various themes will be 50% off I don't see any of the larger popular sets left to discount. Probably some Cars, battle packs, some of the clone wars, POTC etc will be 50% but nothing substantial. They had plenty of Winter Bakery and Post Office that they may sale but those will be available xmas 2012 so whats the point? Oh well guess we will know for sure 12/25 online.
Otherwise I'm guessing a handful or larger sets on sale and a bunch of the sets for lines soon to be gone.
I kind of hope they release the Camper in the commercial. It looks like a nice Winnebago.
You can see it at http://buildtogether.com
Store exclusives = Fangpyre Wrecking Ball, FP mech, FP arena, City Police Offroad Command Ctr, City Fire Transporter, City Recycling Container Truck, Dino Ocean Interceptor, Batman Funhouse, Hillside House, Jedi Interceptor and Y-Wing.
For those hoping for discontinuation, also listed are VW Van, Shuttle Adventure/Expedition, FB, Pet Shop, GE, Tower Bridge, Maersk Train, Imperial Shuttle and DS.
8 pages Ninjago, 6 pages City, 4Dino, 2 Cars, 4 Superheroes, 4 Friends, 4 SW
Oops...I think someone mentioned it was in there. It's a cool set, but has been around awhile.
It is the kind of set they should keep for awhile, but when it goes, it will probably never be done again, so I can see that one being a good long term set.
The Red Cargo train is 'cheaper' than the 7939 even though the 7939 is better IMO
Now that I think about it, there are actually NO 2011 sets in the catalog outside of the Direct sets, games, Hillside House and Millennium Falcon. So I would not read too much into the absence of a set and simply put more stock into the presence of a set.
- MMV: He said it's done. They have a few in stock and it will be discounted next week.
- Kingdoms: Everything Kingdoms will go. They didn't had many Kingdoms stuff left though. Only the Blacksmith set.
- Harry Potter: done, and will be discounted. They even had all Harry potter pulled from the shelves already, and placed on piles on the floor. They had only a few Quidditch, Forbidden Forest and Hogwarts. Diagon Alley was on the shelf near the esclusives, and will probably remain as an exclusive for a longer time.
- All winter sets will be on sale
- Star Wars Slave I and Endor Battle are done. Whatever they have left, will be discounted. Death Star stays for a little longer.
- VW Camper stays. They were out of it, but it's coming back in stock early Jan.
- Fire Brigade: He did not confirmed that this will be on sale, but he did not denied.
- Imperial Frigate: They had 4 or 5 in stock, and they will indeed have prices slashed on Dec. 26th.
- City Space sets: EVERYTHING WILL GO! He said they are not getting anything Space anymore, and everything with a space theme will be on sale coming Monday. That came as a shocker to me, since nobody mentioned Space here on this thread, not that I remember. Indeed they were short in stock of the bigger space sets. I believe that does not include the exclusive Space Shuttle though.
He finished saying that he can't give too much details, but since I was an AFOL and a collector, he told me to come early, because most of the store will be discounted. Now, that store is a lot smaller than Sawgrass, and most of the stuff we've been talking about was sold out at Aventura. Sawgrass was stocked on almost everything. They had all Kingdoms sets, all Harry Potter sets, All Alien Conquest sets... I felt that only a couple sets at Sawgrass were gone for good, but everything else was there, if what the other guy said is true, Sawgrass will be a Zoo.
Pharaoh Quest: On both stores I noticed that these sets were nowhere to be found. Not only that, but their shelf space was taken by Super Heroes sets (by the way, both stores had pretty much all sets, but the Catwoman and the Batmobile sets). I believe these PQs will pop back up on Dec. 26th on the floor heavily discounted.
Well, let's see. It seems that this year we are having a bigger amount of sets being discontinued, but it can be just my own perception, since I this is the first time I am following all that closely.
For "imperial frigate" did you mean "Republic Frigate?" Thats a much newer set, surprised it would be added to this sale.
I too have found what you have: that some stores are just more popular and much less of the "good" stock left, while other stores still have sets i would really want if they go on sale.