Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego Ferris Wheel Set #10247

12346»

Comments

• Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    ^After almost 25 years of marriage, she's still more fun than a Ferris Wheel...and I'll just leave it at that. :wink: 
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    T_Lars said:
    In case anyone was curious about how it stacks up against some modulars. Amazing that it looks big even next to TH but it absolutely dwarfs DO.

The other thing interesting about this comparison is how much the TH dwarfs the DA. I haven't built either yet, but I can definitely understand why people would combine two DA sets based on this image.
    Sethro3
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    T_Lars said:
    ^Agreed. I'm sure they're cooking one up as we speak, but I'd put money on a"smaller" Mixer sized set to come out first. I can only imagine that a rollercoaster would be somewhere in the $300 neighborhood if they do it right and if TLG does want to (hopefully?) continue this as an annual theme I doubt they would go from $150 to $200 to $300 (+/-). 
    At any rate,  LEGO will do a rollercoaster and I'll fork over my hard earned cash and continue to live off of romen noodles and spam. 
    I would think a rollercoaster model would lend itself nicely to being modular, so it would make a lot of sense to make it fairly reasonable sized with maybe 1 or 2 cars and then provide instructions for a model using 2 of the sets with 3-4 cars or 3 of the sets using 5-6 cars, that way they can appeal to all no matter the budget.

And you just know someone on here would buy 10 and make a monster coaster...
    Farmer_John
  • NickF22NickF22 United KingdomMember Posts: 414
    ^ only 10??
    ^Exactly! TLG doesn't have to have a >$200 USD set if it's designed in such a way to be expanded by purchasing additional copies. A well-designed roller coaster makes sense on so many levels.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,947
    ^I disagree, if it isn't impressive as-is it will meet a poor reception. Also a functioning coaster would be a technical marvel and not something your average builder could just modify easily and still have it work well.
    TheLoneTensorBrickDancer
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,085
    The FW I ordered a week ago is now in warehouse (previously was back ordered) so the excitement begins!
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    That's the tricky thing...people lengthen and create train tracks all the time. Ultimately a roller coaster is no different from a train OTHER than the obvious of loops or turns at sharp angles. Granted, if done correctly, I think builders could manage that on their own. These types of sets are geared toward the older child/adult anyway, so I'd hope they'd be capable of doing something with it.

They had the buy multiple mentality for the Cafe Corner. Granted, that was a simple stacked brick add-on, but LEGO certainly is capable of trying to get you to buy more than one to make it look official (LOTR Black Gate, Kingdoms Joust, etc)
  • mldj77mldj77 Philadelphia, PAMember Posts: 63
    I'm a happy camper! I came home for a lunch break & Fedex just delivered my Ferris Wheel! 
    Ronyar
    ^I disagree, if it isn't impressive as-is it will meet a poor reception. Also a functioning coaster would be a technical marvel and not something your average builder could just modify easily and still have it work well.
    The point @princedraven (I think) and me were trying to make is that a "modular" roller coaster would be great. It should be a good set at the $200 price point for those who don't want to invest more; however, it should be modular to be easily expanded with the purchase of additional copies. TLG/Jamie has the skill/expertise and (more importantly) the plastic molds to design a roller coaster set that is both nice as a stand-alone AND modular for expansion. I really like the Ferris Wheel set, but I'm not sure how much it can be expanded/increased in size by purchasing an additional set.

princedraven
  • SolariousSolarious Kalamazoo, MI, USAMember Posts: 317
    It'd be nice to have a modular design but with the gravity dependent physics of a roller coaster in real life would preclude anything but the most carefully designed tracks

On the other hand, if you went the route of motorizing the car and somehow kept it on the tracks through the loops and banks (which would be much easier anyway) than I would imagine that any configuration official or MOCed could be done 

would require an absolutely tiny motor in comparison to the trains though
    One of the biggest issues I've come across in designing an MOC roller coaster is a drive system to get the roller coaster to the top of the hills. Initially I tried to use gears to pull the cars up the tracks, but there just doesn't seem to be any method that works well (without Lego releasing some specially designed parts).

The method used to turn the Ferris Wheel (friction from wheels on both sides) is something I haven't tried yet, but appears to have some potential. It might take some finessing, however, it may be the best approach using the narrow gauge tracks from set #6857.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    I really think a lego rollercoaster is never going to be more than just a fantasy. Too many new pieces, too hard to make it robust enough for a public set, unlikely to be much more exciting than something like this.

goshe7
  • donutboydonutboy U.K.Member Posts: 718
    Ah, the comity contest. Fantastic
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    I could watch those penguins running go all day.
    RonyarricecakeFollowsCloselyAanchir
    That is a good point @cheshirecat brings up. Creator and Creator Expert sets draw only from existing parts. So unless any new essential bits for track or mechanics were co-developed with another line it won't be likely to happen.
    ^I don't know. TLG did develop some new parts for the Ferris Wheel, albeit nothing related to the mechanics of the set. There are really two important mechanical components to a roller coaster: 1) the drive mechanism, and 2) the tracks.

On the subject of the drive mechanism, I'm impressed with Jamie's technique of rotating the Ferris Wheel and have to wonder if a similar approach can be taken for a roller coaster. There may also be another approach that the brains at TLG have though of as well...who knows. My hunch, based on what was done to move the Ferris Wheel, is that TLG already has what they need to build a decent drive mechanism for a roller coaster.

The tracks are another issue altogether. There is the width aspect (narrow vs wide/normal gauge), and the configuration aspect (up, down, turns, etc.). As it stands today, I think the best (albeit limited) approach is the narrow gauge tracks such as those in set #6857. The reason is that they can be easily configured to go up and down (within reason); unlike the normal tracks TLG provides with trains. My concern with the narrow gauge tracks is stability and limited configurations (e.g., no straight or straight up/down segments). The normal gauge would be nice, but it has even more constraints from the configuration standpoint (flat vs well...flat).

So if TLG does release a roller coaster set in the future, I expect that new track configurations will have to be developed (whether a narrow or normal gauge track is used). But I'm confident the drive mechanism can be solved using existing components.
  • DadDad UKMember Posts: 814
    I could watch those penguins running go all day.
    They're brilliant to watch. I'll  get mine out maybe once a month and just have 10 minutes watching them. So simple but so much fun.
    The best option for track might be flex hose so it could bend, slope, and twist as needed. Would be tough to get it all in place with legal, set-ready techniques though. You could make a small, kiddie-coaster with the narrow gauge track but anything substantial would need new parts like you were saying.
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,324
    maybe you could find some designs ideas in there :
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
    Does anybody remember the Roller Coaster Factory thing designed by Adam Reed Tucker in conjunction with CoasterDynamix?

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/13732/adam-reed-tucker-does-rollercoasters

Unfortunately it seems the website is no longer around.
  • bp10030bp10030 europeMember Posts: 102

• groundedgrounded Central OhioMember Posts: 73
    While I understand the classic roller coaster look involves a track and cars with wheels, having one that hangs from a narrow grooved guide above is also a possibility. I think dangling minifigure legs makes for a better presentation  :o
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 1,001
    I am sooooo in the minority....the more I see it,  the more I really, really dont' like it.    The only incentive I'd have to buying it is to make money off of it down the road.  It looks silly next to the TH and DO, although I know that's not the place for it, but even in that city pix it's kinda out of place .
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited May 2015
    Or do the TH and DO look silly next to the ferris wheel? (the DO also looks pretty silly next to the TH)
    ZegnaTK2012WSWPitfall69dougts
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,391
    I built the Ferris Wheel over the last 2 days and I must say it is very impressive. I am just waiting for my M-Motor to make it go without the hand crank. I am going to attach an IR Receiver so I can remotely make it run. 

I can tell you that it is easy to miss a part here and they and much like the Grand Carousel, you have to make sure that the structure is built near perfect or it will not run smooth. The cars will either make contact with the platform or brush up against the enter/exit ramps. Other than that, I couldn't ask for a better designed model :)
    Ronyar
    edited June 2015
    Most, if not all, ferris wheels stand taller than most 3 story buildings. The new one in Vegas stands 550ft
    Pitfall69 said:
    I built the Ferris Wheel over the last 2 days and I must say it is very impressive. I am just waiting for my M-Motor to make it go without the hand crank. I am going to attach an IR Receiver so I can remotely make it run.
    A question that came to mind for me when I originally saw it was whether or not a single motor could drive both the Ferris Wheel and the Mixer using gears and axles. I don't mind turning the mixer at a higher rate, but would want to gear down the Ferris Wheel to a rate that doesn't cause waves on the minifigures' faces.
    edited June 2015
    The Ferris wheel is geared so that even when you turn the crank real fast, it doesn't spin fast.

I do not have the mixer, but if you want to drive bith at the same time, just hook up an IR Receiver to the battery box, put the Mixer on Red and Ferris Wheel on Blue outputs and then you can use IR Speed Controller to control both sets.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    I think he shooting for using gearing so he wouldn't have to use two motors.  I'm guessing it's totally possible with one or two gearing steps and creative uses of axles.  I haven't built either, so I'd be interested to know how much torque both need, and whether you could get what you need from a single M motor.  I'm guessing yes for that also.

Of course, two motors off the one IR as @Pitfall69 wrote would be ideal for play value.
    Ahhhhh. I read his comments in haste. At least that is better than when people ignore my comments ;)

I don't think you would want to use just one motor. It wouldn't look right to have all of those gears and axles stretching across 2 models. The M-Motors are cheap. 
    Sorry about the delay response... :smile: 

Yes, I was wanting to operate both with a single motor. I had heard that the Ferris Wheel turns pretty fast, but the main reason was to have some fun with gears. My oldest boy is really getting into gearing and Technic. I was just concerned running both would overload the motor.

Thanks for the responses!
  • blades_ladblades_lad Nottingham, UKMember Posts: 37
    Not sure if anyone's mentioned it. But on Alex Nunes youtube channel he's got the mixer and ferris wheel running off the same motor with a few mods..
    Yeah, he's using an old motor and a 9V speed regulator. Very fun project, but not for me.
    Heck, why not just rip apart a fan motor and use 120VAC. Don't have to worry about batteries, and I bet that baby would have some torque.