Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

First Modular Set

12346»

Comments

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,435

^Yeah...my problem is that it's more like $1000.

I put my UCS MF on my treadmill to keep it off the ground. My nephew(at the time 5 years old) saw it sitting there and decided he wanted to open it and grabbed a corner and pulled. Ugh.

SumoLego

A bit of advice for everybody who is ordering their first Pet Shop with the intention of building it: Open the box seals and maybe even a few bags right away so that it is no longer MISB. Do this even if you aren't planning on building right away. If you don't, then when it retires and the reseller prices go up, you may have more trouble breaking the seal knowing how much value you would be losing.

Take this as advice from somebody who has a GG sitting MISB in his closet because I just can't bring myself to open it, knowing how much they go for nowadays.

Yeah, Have CC, GG, MS, and Grand Carousel all sitting in box waiting to be built.
    I have convinced myself to open CC and GG regardless. MS will be sold as I Bl'ed one of those already. But Grand Carousel I am debating on.
    I understand where you are coming from. Sell the MS and Bricklink a GG. Keep the Grand Carousel and CC in the box. The Carousel is ridiculous to Bricklink. You never know when you might need the money. Things happen.

madforLEGO
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,026
    Pitfall69 said:

A bit of advice for everybody who is ordering their first Pet Shop with the intention of building it: Open the box seals and maybe even a few bags right away so that it is no longer MISB. Do this even if you aren't planning on building right away. If you don't, then when it retires and the reseller prices go up, you may have more trouble breaking the seal knowing how much value you would be losing.

Take this as advice from somebody who has a GG sitting MISB in his closet because I just can't bring myself to open it, knowing how much they go for nowadays.

Yeah, Have CC, GG, MS, and Grand Carousel all sitting in box waiting to be built.
    I have convinced myself to open CC and GG regardless. MS will be sold as I Bl'ed one of those already. But Grand Carousel I am debating on.
    I understand where you are coming from. Sell the MS and Bricklink a GG. Keep the Grand Carousel and CC in the box. The Carousel is ridiculous to Bricklink. You never know when you might need the money. Things happen.

Yeah, that is why they are all still sealed. If I need the cash they likely will be worth more sealed. I just cannot bring myself to BL the GG, just too much time and energy for me to do it. Plus I remembered the box I have is partially opened and beat up from a wonderful TRU or LEGO packing job back in the day, same with a 10210 I have as well, so it is a little less stressful to pop those open as it they are pretty much 'popped open' already :-)
    Carousel is just really a neat set IMO, and even if they happen to do one as part of this apparent carnival line they are doing (by the way, has anyone seen any shots of the next festival set?) this one is pretty darn cool.
  • WallaceWallace Member Posts: 134

Why did you buy it in the first place though? Surely for you to enjoy the build and display, and not as an investment? If it was the former then you have to open that box regardless of resale price, if the latter, why even have the 'debate' with yourself about opening it?

Pitfall69 said:

Yeah, that is why they are all still sealed. If I need the cash they likely will be worth more sealed. I just cannot bring myself to BL the GG, just too much time and energy for me to do it. Plus I remembered the box I have is partially opened and beat up from a wonderful TRU or LEGO packing job back in the day, same with a 10210 I have as well, so it is a little less stressful to pop those open as it they are pretty much 'popped open' already :-)
    Carousel is just really a neat set IMO, and even if they happen to do one as part of this apparent carnival line they are doing (by the way, has anyone seen any shots of the next festival set?) this one is pretty darn cool.
    Ok. Knowing your GG box is pretty much open, you can probably get away with building it now, but it is still worth more than a used one.

I'm sure there is a price range set for the Carnival sets. The Grand Carousel was $250 USD back in the day and had 3200+ parts 5 years ago. How much would the same set cost today? I don't doubt that they will come out with another carousel, but it won't be nearly as grand. I would think something bigger than the carousel in the WVM set, but not even close to the size of the GC.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,144
    I hear so much about BL'ing a GG but never as much about CC or MS. Anyone able too or care to share their experience with those later two?
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,026

I hear so much about BL'ing a GG but never as much about CC or MS. Anyone able too or care to share their experience with those later two?

When I bricklinked my multiple MS they cost about 200-250 USD back then. Now Im sure it is substantially more if you want to have an accurate version of the set as the appropriate windows, Hoses (for railings) and the arches are are pricey.
    Probably harder to if the sellers do not make a distinction between the old version and new version of the parts needed for MS.
    Same with Cafe Corner, which had more parts than the MS (which is another reason I did ont try to BL one) and while there are facsimiles made by LEGO, if you want the accurate parts (accurate shading, part design etc) you will have to pay dear for them
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,672
    @piratemania7 , I bricklinked CC and just last week I replaced some of my substitutions (dark blue and bird/parrots) as prices really came down since I bricklinked it.
    I still have substitutions for the 1st floor doors, 2nd floor panels (used was windows) and the 3rd floor windows and LBG turn tables.
    In the end, I am really happy with the result vs cost.
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,160
    I got the Pet Shop over the weekend. Now the issue is my fiance really wants to build it too.

We're not really in a position to just buy another one, so we'll have to split who builds which building. I'm leaning towards building the Pet Shop side, as it looks a little more interesting than the house side.
  • zipsforbananaszipsforbananas WalesMember Posts: 250
    ^I built it with my wife, a building each, and then pulled her half apart and rebuilt it a few days later. Easily done with a building that's two halves! :P
    Zon
  • jonmdudleyjonmdudley GermanyMember Posts: 23
    Earlier this year I only had the Town Hall. Then with everything that was retired and my wife and mother buying me one for my birthday I ended up with everything that was out all at once. I was deployed to Kuwait so I had the awesome task of putting them all together pretty much one right after the other. I can't really say which one I like more as they were all really fun to build. I would say that if I had to start now I would just go with what has been out the longest so that I can get the others later as many others have said.
    FollowsCloselyBriking
  • stuckonminisstuckonminis Member Posts: 8
    I Bricklinked CC at the beginning of the year, it was the first time I used bricklink so it took me forever. Here are my results, I spent a total of $497.15 using 17 different resellers plus 1 order from the LEGO Pick A Brick. The only color I substituted were the 4 grey turntables, I got white instead. The price difference was $8-12each for the grey or $.04 for the white. That was a no brainer for me. I also got the alternate for the dark red slopes which were slightly cheaper. I'm still waiting for some parts as I still have not received 1 shipment that I ordered on Jan 1st. I'm still missing 6 of the white skis, although cheap, everyone only seems to have 1 or 2 of these in stock. So I'm not sure what I'm going to do or sub for those.

Considering I'm only missing 6 skis and only subbed 4 grey turntables I think I came out ahead. 98% of the parts were sold as new, so I think I made out ok brick linking vs buying new in box.

I was so traumatized by the process, that I have put brick linking GG on hold for now.

Joanne :)
    MrJ_NYzipsforbananas
  • 3stackshs3stackshs Member Posts: 299
    Same, my first time bricklinking too. Got most of my orders in now and am at about $350 from 11 sellers. Only things I haven't ordered are white windows, dark red slopes, and gray turn tables. Part of me is thinking sub it and hope later they become available....the other part of me says get them now before they get even higher.
    FollowsClosely
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    I have so many BL projects, there is no way I could tell you how much any of it costs! hahahaha.....I know the more projects you have, the easier it is to get the parts you need sourced, though
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    edited February 2015
    I find I almost always start on at least one more project before finishing the previous one, but do try to track the costs where possible. Where it does help is on the postage costs for the final few pieces (that you never quite get all of in larger orders) - I don't tend to worry if I'm a few parts short and will build around it, but then try to combine the last few bits needed from one model with a large order for the next project. I've bricklinked a few modulars (official, modified officIal and MOCs) like this.
    TK2012WSW
  • MrJ_NYMrJ_NY A flick missle away from Brickagara FallsMember Posts: 592
    Why does it seem the prices vary so drastically for the Fire Brigade in comparison to the other modulars? The prices are pretty similar for most of them no matter where you look/shop...but the prices on a FB go from $300 & up at BrickLink to an average of $350 at Ebay while Amazon the starting price is $400.Also the price on a lot of used FB's seem a bit high when you could buy one still sealed for the same price. :neutral:
    I think a lot has to do with people not updating their prices on Bricklink. Believe me, if you buy something on Bricklink on the cheap and the seller has not updated their price, they will get you with shipping hoping you will cancel the order. It has happened to me a few times.
    MrJ_NY
  • LegoTTLegoTT Member Posts: 483
    MrJ_NY said:

Why does it seem the prices vary so drastically for the Fire Brigade in comparison to the other modulars? The prices are pretty similar for most of them no matter where you look/shop...but the prices on a FB go from $300 & up at BrickLink to an average of $350 at Ebay while Amazon the starting price is $400.Also the price on a lot of used FB's seem a bit high when you could buy one still sealed for the same price. :neutral:

There are sealed FBs going for $330ish on Amazon a wel or two ago. I almost bought one!
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,144
    The other thing to consider is we are at the opposite end of the buying spectrum so IMO you will find some of the cheaper prices this time of year into the spring. The other end of the spectrum? 4th quarter and holiday spending.
  • TK2012WSWTK2012WSW United StatesMember Posts: 37
    Well, made it to the halfway point tonight by purchasing the Grand Emporium.  5 of 10.  Too far in to stop now, so I guess it's all downhill from here.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,030
    @LegoTT sorry it's taken me so long to reply - I didn't realise you'd asked a question!

I kept a record of what I spent on bricklinking GG. I used 19 sellers, including 4 in America (for rare pieces). I also had two orders with Lego's Bricks and Pieces service (which made up about 40% of the cost).

Total cost of elements: £256. Postage: £55. Total cost: £311.

That was two years ago though, and I know that some pieces have gone up in price by quite a bit since then.
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    ^Why did you bricklink a GG 2 years ago?

Boxed ones were only going for around £300 - £350 two years ago. seems like a lot of hassle to not really save anything.
    I've seen debate on whether people agree that the Haunted House is a modular.  If it isn't, what would the 10th modular be then since I see most people agree there are 10 buildings?

2007 Cafe Corner
    2008 Green Grocer
    2009 Fire Brigade
    2010 Grand Emporium
    2011 Pet Store
    2012 Town Hall
    2012 Haunted House
    2013 Palace Cinema
    2014 Parisian Restaurant
    2015 Detective's Office

• luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    edited May 2015
    #10190 Market Street (also 2007 I believe)

As you note, it is a point for debate (which we've been through in other threads!), although I think TLG itself refers to 10 so it is including MS.  HH is modular style but it isn't modular (in that its layers don't separate).  MS as a fan design was not really part of modular range at outset.
    TK2012WSW
    OK!  I was using the tags to get the list and could never get 10 in a list.  There was always one short.  Missed that one!  Thanks!
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,030
    ^Why did you bricklink a GG 2 years ago?

Boxed ones were only going for around £300 - £350 two years ago. seems like a lot of hassle to not really save anything.
    Nope, I looked. You were looking at least £500 for used, and more like £600+ for MISB. Easy decision. Plus it taught me the basics of how to use Bricklink!
  • frog4gatorsfrog4gators Member Posts: 21
    Why did Town Hall retire before the Pet Shop despite being released after?
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,571
    ^ There was a whole long drawn out discussion (argument) about this in another thread. Basically TH was a poor seller and they axed it sooner rather than later. Point is if you want it, get it now, don't wait.
    madforLEGO
  • monkeymonkey Member Posts: 235
    edited May 2015
    Pitfall69 said:
    I think a lot has to do with people not updating their prices on Bricklink. Believe me, if you buy something on Bricklink on the cheap and the seller has not updated their price, they will get you with shipping hoping you will cancel the order. It has happened to me a few times.
    Can you then cancel the order but still leave neg feedback? On top of disappointment of losing the bargain I'd be pretty annoyed to have wasted my time because of the seller's forgetfulness (and their sneaky tactics later)...
    TK2012WSW