Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Lego Ferris Wheel Set #10247

Comments

• donutboydonutboy U.K.Member Posts: 703
    Any of you who've already built it, can you tell me how long it took. I know everyone builds at different speeds but i'm just curious really.
  • talostalos Member Posts: 49
    It took me 2 afternoons, so about 5 hours.
    donutboy
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,059
    I need to stop reading this thread so I do not place a purchase yet. I'm still recovering from my PS's and Kwik E Mart.
    AndorMordoordimefield
  • TK2012WSWTK2012WSW United StatesMember Posts: 37
    Picking up tomorrow morning at the Lego Store in Raleigh, NC.  Just called and they have a few left.  It's a two hour drive, but I want this and don't feel like waiting until it is back in stock online at the end of the month.
  • AmmlegoAmmlego MiamiMember Posts: 3
    It took me about 6 hours to build. I had some distractions. I would say the most interesting part to build is the base. The wheel and gondolas, by their nature, are repetitive. Another contributor mentioned liking the building of the Fairground Mixer. I must agree and say that there were many surprises in that build, and the mechanical aspect of it was very involved and interesting. I've read elsewhere that some found the Fairground Mixer somewhat chintzy. The Ferris Wheel is more of a finished product and beautiful to look at. I think that these two are awesome companion sets - you get different strengths and fun with each, but they to so well together. I have a disassembled Grand Carousel on the closet beckoning to be rebuilt.  Now that's a set!
    Lego_StarTK2012WSWdonutboy
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 939
    If you're itching to see this with PF in action, skip to 6:42 of Jang Bricks' review:

klatu003
  • NickF22NickF22 United KingdomMember Posts: 408
    It's quite fast! I wonder if it's possible to slow it down a bit with a gearbox?
  • JBricks27JBricks27 Member Posts: 674
    Is there a side by side picture or video with this and the mixer?
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,330
    msanders said:
    Picked my one up from the Lego shop this evening. Saw the one that they had on display and it looks amazing! Can't wait to build and play with it!
    The thing looks huge and I cannot wait to get one and to motorize it. Planning for June when Winter Soldier is available here in the states
    AndorTK2012WSW
    edited May 2015
    Two hour drive to Raleigh to get there when the store opened... lunch... and a two hour ride back.  Went ahead and bought the Power Function that has the motor, battery pack, switches, and lights as well and I am going to see if by hooking up the Fairground Mixer and Ferris Wheel to it... the speed is slowed some.  Guess I'll put the lights somewhere on the base itself, too.  But first, gotta clean the garage.  :(
    The base is a little flimsy with the green plates.  It is awkward to move because of this.  I agree with the previous posts about it should have been built on a solid base plate, so I transferred it quickly to one and think I'm going to build out some other ideas.  Putting it on a grey plate REALLY shored up the feeling of the base.  (Also, can now remove the two 4x4 green plates that seem out of place, too.)

grounded
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 995
    There have been a lot of good comments from people on this item.  I have a question for those who have built it, touched it, & played with it....if you had missed out on it "today", would you pay $299 for it "tomorrow"...$399 "next week"?
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 903
    I have to disagree with the baseplate comments. A baseplate is too thin to use on this large structure. The weight of the Lego would make the baseplate bend when picked up making the lego come off in places (does this make sense). One of the problems with the Grand carousel is that the weight of it bends the baseplate in places when picked up and moved around making the lego come off.  A baseplate is too thin compared to the plates they use in the Ferries wheel which don't bend. You have to be careful when carrying it around but you do with most large sets. Of course putting the current structure on top of a baseplate now makes the Ferris wheel more sturdy - so would any set. I presume they're keeping costs down. 

Ive been playing with the Ferris wheel all weekend with my son. He absolutely loves it and I'm really enjoying it. We've been playing with the mixer as well. I need to take a photo of both together as someone requested above. 
    edited May 2015
    Yes, obviously the baseplate is thin, but, adding the baseplate did solidify all the green plates.  Without the green plates on it the unit felt flimsy as if it was going to collapse when moving it.  For something large like this, not having weight evenly distributed gives it less ease if you ever move it from where it is being displayed or played.  You could tell the difference as soon as I put the baseplate under it and pressed down.  There was no fear of parts coming loose which would have created an amusement park sized disaster. ;)

I've attached the #8293 battery/motor set to run both the mixer and wheel.  I'll try to take pictures later on tonight or a short video.

I wouldn't pay $299 for it.  At $199, it was a good deal in my opinion.
  • AmmlegoAmmlego MiamiMember Posts: 3
    edited May 2015
    Good comment on the baseplate issue - you are right, grand carousel was difficult to move due to bending base. And great idea to transfer it atop another large plate. I have found that it is not difficult to move in its current make up (green plates), I just don't like the way it looks. 

If I missed out on it and it were discontinued, I'd pay an extra hundred. I wouldn't pay extra if it were out of stock and wanted to avoid a backorder situation/needed instant gratification. Worth waiting for though!
    TK2012WSW
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    Okay...as one who is waiting to purchase this set until I can get the freebee Winter Soldier polybag, I have to admit I am definitely jealous of those who already pulled the trigger. It is a shear act of self-control keeping me from ordering now! I guess I can find solace in the fact that TLG produces sets that cause me to feel like this.
    I guess I miss spoke earlier, I can wait.
    While I want one, as 200 USD I have no such issue holding off of buying one right now until I can get a somewhat better deal on it. Even if that deal is only getting Winter Soldier with the purchase in June.

Jangbricks has a side by side video of the Ferris wheel and mixer

T_Lars
  • train_nuttrain_nut DubaiMember Posts: 7
    New "Jang City" rocks.
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 590
    If you're itching to see this with PF in action, skip to 6:42 of Jang Bricks' review:

Thank you so much!!!

• Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    That Ferris Wheel does look a bit fast. I wouldn't want to ride on that.

The mixer does look decent next to it. I can see them going together. However, I still don't love the mixer. I like some of the add-on booths though.
    Received a back order email for the Ferris Wheel purchase I made on Friday night.

Anyone else receive this yet? I wonder how long it will take before shipping.
    I made a few modifications of the Ferris Wheel. Its still a work in progress but I thought I would share this with you. I've added some more colour to it (different coloured 'lights'), plus I've added a number of glow-in-the-dark elements. I haven't found the best settings on my camera yet to demonstrate how great the glow-in-the-dark looks, but here's a taster:

BrickDancerTK2012WSWFarmer_JohnpharmjodLego_StarAdzbadboyT_Lars
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    edited May 2015
    ^Lovin' it! This set looks like an awesome build AND perfect for Mods. Can't ask for much more than that from TLG.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    That is a good question, why didn't they do glow in the dark for this as they did for the Mixer?  Do glow in the dark elements cost significantly more to produce than other colors?
    That is a good question, why didn't they do glow in the dark for this as they did for the Mixer?  Do glow in the dark elements cost significantly more to produce than other colors?
    I presume they cost more to produce. Certainly they cost more to buy on Bricks and pieces. There's something about glow in the dark that I just love, hence why I added these elements to the Ferris Wheel. The canopy is the eye from Glowbert #41533
    Uranium is pricey.... ;-)
    Actually I believe they must be, as LEGO eventually stopped adding glow in the dark parts in their later produced Monster Fighter sets, didn't they?
  • PeteMPeteM Gallifrey (near Bristol)Member Posts: 399
    edited May 2015
    For the castle they amended the stickers to remove glow in the dark bits, but left the elements (vampires head, spiders etc) in for the entire production run.
    When I first saw the Ferris Wheel, I thought it might look better with more color variety. Bright red is the obvious choice, however, as @Huw pointed out the 6x6 dishes are expensive and hard to get (which seems kind of odd). Anyway, the dark red 6x6 dishes and gates add color and are much more affordable, although they're not as bright. I went ahead and picked up all the dark red parts to see what it looks like. The link to the dark red dish is below:

http://brickset.com/parts/4558730

Now I just need to order the set... :smile: 
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,802
    PeteM said:
    For the castle they amended the stickers to remove glow in the dark bits, but left the elements (vampires head, spiders etc) in for the entire production run.
    I believe there were some concerns with the ink they used for glow-in-the-dark printing on bricks and stickers, which wouldn't affect parts actually molded in that color plastic.
  • 3stackshs3stackshs Member Posts: 294
    Ferris wheel now showing available limit one on US [email protected]
    ^Yeah...it started out as a limit of two on the first day, and they changed the limit to one before the day was over.
    Well....what I meant was it was showing available.  But it was short lived.  Back to ships on 1 June. 
    Farmer_John
    In Oz, the FW was showing a limit of 1 but since there is free shipping for any orders over $200, I just place three separate orders. So in theory, there is no limit.
    just because it let you place the order doesn't mean they won't cancel 2.
    3stackshs said:
    Well....what I meant was it was showing available.  But it was short lived.  Back to ships on 1 June. 
    Ahhh...got it!
    3stackshs
    As long as it still ships in the US and is not showing as  'temp sold out' by the time of the Winter Soldier promotion :smile:

Farmer_John
    3stackshs said:
    just because it let you place the order doesn't mean they won't cancel 2.
    Nope. Shipped all three. Woohoo
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,128
    First set in a while to me that feels like it's worth the price tag
    tamamahmbinaryeye
    ^^This set has officially joined the UCS Tumble on my list of absolute must-have Lego sets. Great comparison!
    dougtsT_LarspharmjodAdzbadboy
    ^Yup, I was actually searching for this comparison the other day on google images and couldn't find any.  Thanks for the comparison @T_Lars ... Will definitely be getting this.
    T_Lars
  • T_LarsT_Lars USAMember Posts: 104
    :) Happy to help.
    ...And yeah, I'd say this is a must have. Looking forward to setting it up with the rest of my modulars as I think it's one of the few sets that works well with them from outside of the theme. 
    ^One can only imagine the desirability of a nice roller-coaster in this theme! With the apparent success of the Ferris Wheel, I have to believe a roller-coaster is in the works. It'd be like a money printing machine for TLG.
    dougts
  • T_LarsT_Lars USAMember Posts: 104
    ^Agreed. I'm sure they're cooking one up as we speak, but I'd put money on a"smaller" Mixer sized set to come out first. I can only imagine that a rollercoaster would be somewhere in the $300 neighborhood if they do it right and if TLG does want to (hopefully?) continue this as an annual theme I doubt they would go from $150 to $200 to $300 (+/-). 
    At any rate,  LEGO will do a rollercoaster and I'll fork over my hard earned cash and continue to live off of romen noodles and spam. 
    TheLoneTensor
  • ChubblesChubbles USAMember Posts: 459
    The more I look at the Ferris Wheel the more i like it, it's going to be a real winner IMO
    brickupdate
  • PeteMPeteM Gallifrey (near Bristol)Member Posts: 399
    I've already resigned myself to the fact that this is going to be my next double points set - if my willpower holds out that long....
    Farmer_John
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,281
    what for do you have a wife anyway?