Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

I Have Bad News For Myself - The Cost of Being a Lego Fanatic

2»

Comments

• 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 1,006
    My wife has threatened me with divorce over my spending.  That's enough for me since it would pain me to give her half in the divorce settlement.  Now I just funnel money to other accounts and have an off-site to store my Lego sets.
    MorkManrocaovassilbg
  • NinjaGaidenNinjaGaiden Member Posts: 6
    @Farmer_John Have you looked at how much you've spent so far on the sets you do own?  I did that recently, via Brickset's "MY SETS" overview, and WOW... that was an eye opener.  Really put things into perspective, and forced me to be more selective in what I buy in the future.  So now i just stick to one theme, SW in my case.  Passing up the UCS Helicarrier and Tumbler is a daily, ongoing struggle.

That being said... I still spend way more than I should, and I'm sure most of us here do.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,144
    @1265 you should hope and pray your wife never joins the forum to check up on you. :smile:
    Andor1265
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 859
    ^right! Lol
    But seriously, if it is causing financial issues you really should consider cutting down. Lego are just toys after all
    Jern92AndorFurrysaurus
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    @Farmer_John Have you looked at how much you've spent so far on the sets you do own?  I did that recently, via Brickset's "MY SETS" overview, and WOW... that was an eye opener.  Really put things into perspective, and forced me to be more selective in what I buy in the future.  So now i just stick to one theme, SW in my case.  Passing up the UCS Helicarrier and Tumbler is a daily, ongoing struggle.

That being said... I still spend way more than I should, and I'm sure most of us here do.
    I won't answer that question on the grounds that it might incriminate me! :smile: 

But I do have some self-control...like an earlier poster, I can only think of one time that I ordered a set the first day of release...and it was the UCS Tumbler. I used to wait for sales before ordering to make myself feel better, but now there are no sales on the larger sets I'm interested in. Also I am usually not a theme completist, but am selective on the sets I get.

The main problem is that the sets I generally want are the expensive ones...and I like most of those including Technic, SW, Superheroes, modulars, and expert. So from this list you can probably get a good idea of the sets on my short list of those "to get."
    ^ I dont order a set the first day of release per se - but I also dont wait a year (just made that up).  Its a fine balance - but I can tell everyone that I do not wait for Double VIP or freebies just to order a set.  It's not enough to keep me from buying now and waiting, I certainly fall in the camp of those who buy sooner rather than later and will preach until the cows come home: "If you want it, buy it, don't wait".
    madforLEGODrmnezAndorMordoor
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    It would take me so much time to agonize over which sets to leave off my wanted list, that I find it more effective to just buy everything and work extra hours with the time I saved.
    BrickDancerFarmer_JohnAdeelZubairAndor
  • rdflegordflego in a world of his ownMember Posts: 324
    About a year ago I finally decided that I would be a piece hunter and only get sets that have new or interesting elements. Doesn't stop me going over board and getting sets I find interesting but the system helps me keep my spend low-ish.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,902
    ^interesting, I have also become entranced by new pieces and colors but that only makes me want to buy even more. "I don't need this Elves set but hey look! Shiny colors and parts!" - My Brain
    Rainstorm26JennichuckpAdeelZubairAndorrdflegoAanchirklatu003bobabricks
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^^That is a great POV for life in general, one that I abide by also. Instead of spending a few hours looking at what 'wants' can be sacrificed, spend those extra hours generating more money so that you don't have to sacrifice and can have it all.
    Andor
    I've found ways to raise additional spending capital myself (legally of course) I cant tell you how much "stuff" I have sold off, or ways I have found to save money just to validate spending more on LEGO...

I need to schedule a therapy appointment. : /
    AndorMordoor
  • rdflegordflego in a world of his ownMember Posts: 324
    I agree @Bumblepants that the whole 'OOH SHINEY' mentality is addictive. And that is the reason why I have elves sets. I just challenge myself to stay away from licensed sets and sets with large pieces that take up too much storage. This seems to work with me no matter how aluring the set is (can't say that's the case every time though).
    Andor
    edited February 2015
    ^ Genius.
  • jamie75jamie75 Member Posts: 12
    I feel you pain!! I just "thinned" my themes. Only sets I buy now are Star Wars and Super Heroes. Everything else went to Bricklink or Ebay. Used money from the sale to buy more SW and SH!
  • TitanArchTitanArch US-Iowa-DavenportMember Posts: 27
    edited February 2015
    ^ I keep a prioritized list of sets in core themes that I would like to acquire. Since I went crazy buying too much last year, I established a reasonable monthly budget and make trades for the rest from my non-core stash. It's been hard to let things go but seeing how much I spent last year was enlightening and/or sickening! I even decided I would flatten those empty boxes.
    VaderX
  • boshbosh Member Posts: 7
    As a Star Wars nut, there are quite a few sets that I want just to get a certain minifig. Realizing this and realizing that I can BL just the fig(s) (especially for currently-available army builder sets) has let me get pretty much all the figures I want without paying for the whole set, "saving" me a decent chunk of cash on this last January wave.
    Similarly, back when I was just leaving my dark age, Ebaying Ultra Agents sets without minifigs let me get quite a few nice builds for 50% retail, though I could probably have done even better on BL.
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 1,001
    I hide my spending by framing the kids....hey, they want the sets, not me!!!  Sometimes, I'll tell them, "help me clean the garage and I'll buy you lego sets".  Which is really just another way of saying, "after we clean the garage, we will go buy more legos" :)   And to make it worse, my wife is usually the first in the car, lol
    VorpalRyuGalactuschuckpsnowhitiehkcrazy88
  • gratefulnatgratefulnat SwitzerlandMember Posts: 326
    Being a single parent I don't need to worry about my second half (my girl friend thinks LEGO is pretty neat, the money part isn't an issue... yet ;-) and since she knows I spend many K's per year, she talks about making sure I have a LEGO room once we move in together :smile: )

But my son, going on 16, finally realized how much I spend on LEGO, and not on him... So whenever I go on a binge, he makes sure to come along because he knows I can't refuse him a small (aha, small, right...) extra when spending 1K at a go on LEGO... sneaky bugger!

I started out on only SW sets, then some modulars, then some licensed sets, then some trians, then experts and winter, then, then and oh my gosh now I buy elves, friends, city, and and and...

Dear big wahoo in the sky, help me now, or I will run into a brickwall.

All I need is
    Just another brick in the wall

Brickfan50Andor
  • chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 684
    ryjay said:
    I hide my spending by framing the kids....hey, they want the sets, not me!!!

Ha, I love that! A major perk of being an AFOL with kids is using them to deflect any heat whenever possible. Not that I would do such a thing <cough>.
    bobabricks
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 611

I think when I started, I’d pick up all the bargains I could, because NEED MOAR LEGO. Now I have plenty in the areas I’d like for MOCcing, but haven’t had the time bar a few mini-builds. So now I only buy something if I really want the set or the parts!

My cost right now is not being able to build. I have a 5 week old sleeping on my lap at the moment - clearly couldn't be happier but I have zero time to build or do anything LEGO related really.
    AndorFarmer_JohnTechnicNickFurrysaurusElune
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    ^Well...when we discuss priorities, it definitely sounds like you have yours straight!
    piratemania7AndorTechnicNickGothamConstructionCoFurrysaurus
  • SupraTTSupraTT Member Posts: 8
    I just ran the numbers on the sets I would like to purchase and the answer wasn't good. Not counting smaller sets, I ended up with a grand total of $2,700 in current Lego sets that I have on my "want" list. There's no way that it's going to happen, but it does speak well to the sets Lego is releasing these days. To make matters worse, Lego continues to release nice sets that are being added to the queue. My choices are to 1) get a second job, 2) rob a bank, or 3) selectively prioritize. The majority of the sets I'm interested in will likely double in price after being discontinued, so if I don't pick them up while they're available it will never happen. I feel like I'm on a treadmill that's moving faster than I can walk (or perhaps faster than my bank account can walk)... I wonder...are other AFOLs in the same boat or am I just being an undisciplined?
    Hey bro! This is actually not that bad of a hobby!  Consider this: my buddies and I build and buy cars, and THAT can run a LOT of $$$ (I have friends that have put $50K in mods in a car alone, and one buddy just bought a 911 50th aniv w/ perf pkg ('only' cost ~150K)....when you mod a CAR you will NEVER get the $$ back (ie a SupraTT, Stang, M5, Mercedes S600TT, etc. with a boatload of mods will fetch only 10-30% more than a normal one, maybe even LESS than a fully stock well cared for...), however, from what it looks like, Legos are worth some cash and stay that way.  Plus, the air suspension can't fail on my Mega Core Magnetizer like it could on my Benzo or X5, or the turbos can't fail like it could on my Stealth R/T TT, etc, etc (thank goodness I'm handy and have friends that are MBenz mechanics right :smiley: ).  FYI an air strut job at the dealer costs 1500-2K... Soooo, I know that this prob isn't what you WANT to hear, because I feel ya that these darnded Legos are sooo pricey, but at least you can think a lil on the bright side!  Maybe even plan on selling a few that you don't like as much to pay for new ones??
    oldtodd33Farmer_JohnThanos75pharmjod1265Infinityman
    SupraTT said:
    I just ran the numbers on the sets I would like to purchase and the answer wasn't good. Not counting smaller sets, I ended up with a grand total of $2,700 in current Lego sets that I have on my "want" list. There's no way that it's going to happen, but it does speak well to the sets Lego is releasing these days. To make matters worse, Lego continues to release nice sets that are being added to the queue. My choices are to 1) get a second job, 2) rob a bank, or 3) selectively prioritize. The majority of the sets I'm interested in will likely double in price after being discontinued, so if I don't pick them up while they're available it will never happen. I feel like I'm on a treadmill that's moving faster than I can walk (or perhaps faster than my bank account can walk)... I wonder...are other AFOLs in the same boat or am I just being an undisciplined?
    Hey bro! This is actually not that bad of a hobby!  Consider this: my buddies and I build and buy cars, and THAT can run a LOT of $$$ (I have friends that have put $50K in mods in a car alone, and one buddy just bought a 911 50th aniv w/ perf pkg ('only' cost ~150K)....when you mod a CAR you will NEVER get the $$ back (ie a SupraTT, Stang, M5, Mercedes S600TT, etc. with a boatload of mods will fetch only 10-30% more than a normal one, maybe even LESS than a fully stock well cared for...), however, from what it looks like, Legos are worth some cash and stay that way.  Plus, the air suspension can't fail on my Mega Core Magnetizer like it could on my Benzo or X5, or the turbos can't fail like it could on my Stealth R/T TT, etc, etc (thank goodness I'm handy and have friends that are MBenz mechanics right :smiley: ).  FYI an air strut job at the dealer costs 1500-2K... Soooo, I know that this prob isn't what you WANT to hear, because I feel ya that these darnded Legos are sooo pricey, but at least you can think a lil on the bright side!  Maybe even plan on selling a few that you don't like as much to pay for new ones??
    Unfortunately I'm in the market for a car too...(actually a pickup truck). If I could just build a practical vehicle out of Lego bricks I would be set.

In a practical sense, the best answer is as you and others have said...to sell off sets to purchase new ones. My original plan several years ago was to fund my Lego addiction by purchasing two sets and selling one (more or less) to help defray the costs on my next Lego purchase. It looked great on paper, but the problem is that I've never gotten around to actually selling my spare sets. In all honesty, I really just need to get on the ball and get it done!
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,902
    Fun fact: My Lego collection is worth approximately $11,000 more than the '99 minivan I drive.
    Farmer_JohnAdeelZubairsnowhitieAndorEKSamhkcrazy88herekittykitty
  • mldj77mldj77 Philadelphia, PAMember Posts: 63
    I feel everyone's passion. When it comes to Lego, I have little self control, I MUST HAVE THEM! I try to keep with a few themes like the modular sets, trains, and some City sets. But even worst are my grand ideas for MOCs which require thousands of pieces. The basement is full & I'm working on two rooms upstairs. I guess my saving grace is a good paying job, low living expenses, no wife & kids. I'm afraid to actually tally up how much I spend yearly on Lego! :D
    Fun fact: My Lego collection is worth approximately $11,000 more than the '99 minivan I drive.
    Ha! The sets I want to get at RRP ($2,700) are worth more than my primary vehicle - a 1990 pickup truck. I see this as good thing as vehicles require not only the initial purchase cost, but also ongoing costs such as fuel, maintenance, insurance, inconvenience, etc. My Lego sets require none of these. I've been dragging my feet on getting another vehicle for the past 10 years. My old truck is still runs okay, but is starting to make some noises that I can't identify.

I dread trying to find another decent vehicle; I've never dreaded purchasing a Lego set.

mldj77 said:
    I guess my saving grace is a good paying job, low living expenses, no wife & kids.
    I don't know what kind of trouble I would be in with this hobby if I didn't have my wife to restrain me. :smile: 
  • dafishdafish Copenhagen, not too far from BillundMember Posts: 35
    edited March 2015
    @Farmer_John, back to your options I recommend trying the bank unless you decide to prioritize. I find myself in the same situation once there is a preview of what will be available. I flag a lot of sets on my wanted list but then the list gets shorter and shorter once sets are released and it becomes visible what they really offer in terms of play fun and satisfaction. My boys (25 and 27, yeah) and I together own stuff for more than 10K Euro (collected since 1989, according to B.'s DB) and our problem is space as well as money. This year I purchased already two sets which I decided to sell on eBay after I put my hands on them so again I think about purchasing a set for more than one night...Unfortunately, this year two great sets, the city square (or whatever it's called) and the Kwick-e-mart (much to the delight of my boys) will come along and empty my wallet. Fortunately, the 2015 modular is ours already :-)
  • BrickaholicBrickaholic UKMember Posts: 342
     Farmer_John said:

I dread trying to find another decent vehicle; I've never dreaded purchasing a Lego set.

Sell your pick-up and get one of these, problem solved :)

Farmer_John
     Farmer_John said:

Sell your pick-up and get one of these, problem solved :)

Dude! At least I could maintain it myself...unlike today's vehicles. I would have to add a suspension though...
    BrickaholicAndor
  • GoldfreekGoldfreek USA, California, SacramentoMember Posts: 96
    Thats a cool bike but where do you put the Lego purchases? Can you attach a trailer?
    Galactus
    Goldfreek said:
    Thats a cool bike but where do you put the Lego purchases? Can you attach a trailer?
    Isn't that what the lady sitting on the front is for...to hold the sets? It's the perfect Lego vehicle... :wink: 
    Andorhkcrazy88
    Well...since the original post I ended up purchasing the Sandcrawler, the Detective Agency, UCS Slave 1, and Ewok Village with the help of some stored up VIP points. I felt pretty good until TLG additional desirable sets including the Ferris Wheel, UCS Tie Fighter, and Shield Helicarrier. My biggest issue is that I have transitioned from large sets (<$200) to really large sets (>$200). And to think it all started with something as innocent looking as a Street Sweeper #7242...
    groundedAndor