Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

(CL) 1978 USS Constellation 398-1, $100 firm -- fair price??

The_IveysThe_Iveys USA::Florida::ValricoMember Posts: 64
Good morning.  Found an ad on CL for this set.  Seller claims it's complete, in original box and he' had it for 32 years.  I can't find too much info out there on this set.  Is this a fair price?

Thanks!!

Comments

• FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 949
    Personally, I would pass. But thay has more to do with the set than the price.
  • The_IveysThe_Iveys USA::Florida::ValricoMember Posts: 64
    @FollowsClosely  --  thanks!
  • DoubleDDoubleD Oklahoma, USAMember Posts: 488
    edited May 2015
    never mind saw it on the title, sorry
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,130
    edited May 2015
    I have no clue why someone would pass on this set... it's the rarest of the 1975-80 Hobby Sets, and until the remake of it came out in 2003 (#10021), it was going for over $1000 in MISB.  This set was only sold in Europe and Australia... never USA or Canada.  And because it came out at the very time that the Hobby Sets were going to be discontinued (1978), it was not produced in large quantitites.

Granted it was built during an era of none of the specialty parts that were introduced over the last 20 years that everyone loves.... but it is one of the crown jewels of 20th Century LEGO sets.

The Hobby sets of 1975-80 were not good sellers back in their day, perhaps they were too much like just display items, rather than playable LEGO sets.  But these were wildly popular about 15 years ago (fair warning about the future popularity of current LEGO sets).

In 2003 TLG came out with a remake of the #398 set... although there were a lot of parts that were substitutions.... such as hollow 1x1 round gray bricks (versus the rare gray solid stud ones back in 1978), and also the 16 1x1x1 rare yellow classic windows were replaced in the 10021 set with the back of headlight bricks.... that embarrassing part that even the Ole Kirk House has to use because TLG never got back to making a decent window system.

But the Hobby sets (390-391-392-393-394-395-396-398) are among the best of the older LEGO sets (my favorite is the #398 Thatcher Perkins locomotive).

The $100 price you were offered (assuming that the box is in great shape, along with the instructions and hopefully includes the large poster that came with the set)... is a bargain.  And if you are not interested in it... please PM me.... I know a dozen old time collectors that would be interested in such a bargain!

You can even tell from the LEGO built display stand that this nearly 1000 piece set was meant to be displayed, and not played with!   :)

yys4u
    Also... if this set is in great shape.... at 1 cent per part.... that's a bargain!!   :)
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
    edited May 2015
    I paid about $150 for the #10021 reissue, plus an additional $5 for a lot of 16 of the original windows.  I think it looks gorgeous on display on my shelves, so I would say that is a good deal, especially for the original version.

Besides the replacement windows, I noticed some very slight differences between the original and the reissue, because I was using the parts from the reissue but using the scanned instructions for the original since they were higher resolution.  For example, for the rigging at the front of the ship, the original uses these, whereas the reissue just has you leave a gap in the plates.
  • TechnicNickTechnicNick Berkshire, UKMember Posts: 277
    The_Iveys said:
    Good morning.  Found an ad on CL for this set.  Seller claims it's complete, in original box and he' had it for 32 years.  I can't find too much info out there on this set.  Is this a fair price?

Thanks!!
    @istokg is right, I'd bite his arm off at that price. Was very pleased to get a #398 with instructions and poster (but no box) for £55 last year. Go for it, so long as it actually is complete and the box is good.
    bobabricks
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 545
    Istokg said:
    Also... if this set is in great shape.... at 1 cent per part.... that's a bargain!!   :)

1000 pieces / $100 comes out to $.10 a part, not $.01

But, still a good deal I'd say, assuming they're all the original parts.
    bobabricks
    Thanks @natro220 ... after 6 minutes you can't change the comments.... and after I realized the mistake... the phone rang.... :)
    bobabricks
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,322
    I don't think it's quite the incredible deal some people are painting it out to be, but at the same time I don't think you can really pass it up. 

That's a classic, and it isn't to often there is someone local selling one where you can personally inspect everything. I'd rather buy one local where I can look at it for $100, then buy one for $85 on eBay where I don't know what I'm getting. Especially, with an old set like this, where condition is everything.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-398-USS-Constellation-NIB-NEW-OVP-with-Poster-Advertising-/171757436677?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item27fd8a7f05&nma=true&si=MMINdYXdwvfZD2K%2Bjrd91f5Sniw%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
  • jadblzjadblz Member Posts: 11
    I'd jump on this one, I'm not a guy who cares much for boxes, but the seller still having it after all these years gives me the impression the set was probably well cared for.  I'd at least take a look at it...if the model is to your liking.  If your not a fan of the model...well at least it comes with a TON of plates!
  • ToddMyersToddMyers Cincinnati, OHMember Posts: 403
    Assuming it's complete, has a decent box and instructions, I would buy it for $100 in a heartbeat.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Maybe it's just me, but I just don't like the old Lego sets, no matter how rare they may be.  It may be just the thought that it's "before they knew better" on things like specialized pieces, etc.  Conversely, I love classic cars of all kinds, and find the old technology absolutely beautiful.  I guess it's just an opinion thing.
    AndorFollowsCloselyBrickDancer
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,495
    ^ That's why I like the old Lego sets. Their simplicity makes them beautiful. 
    AndorTechnicNick