Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

What's your LEGO 'status' today?

Comments

• Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,117
    While building the Cantina set the other evening with my 8 year old daughter she was putting the figures together and asked who Han Solo was. It dawned on me that my two daughters have yet to watch the movies. In anticipation of this I had bought the bluray collection. The question is which order should we watch them in ? I have fought with this answer for awhile now. I see the pros and cons of each. Any advice would be welcomed.
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 648
    ^In my own experience, Phantom Menace was the first Star Wars film I saw as I child, and I still greatly preferred the OT, if that's your concern. Chronological order might make the most sense, and you save the best for last.
  • MathiasMathias United StatesMember Posts: 94
    @Thanos75 I think first impressions are important. Do you really want Jar Jar to be the first thing your children experience in Star Wars?
    monkeyhanger
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,781
    You bond with the set you grow up with. Kids aren't the best film critics, nostalgia plays a big part in the longer term. If you watch all 6 at once then  the kids can make their own minds up, but if you see one trilogy a few times a few years before the other then it's quite likely you'll bond with the first set you saw.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,108
    Shib said:
    Been working on minifigures of my groomsmen for wedding later this year, two down...

Minifigures all done, just need to dig out the right accessories for a couple of them.

JennisnowhitieGothamConstructionCoAndorLego_StarGoldchainscarlqhkcrazy88
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,117
    That's what I'm torn about. I worry that watching the OT first will spoil a lot of the surprises that happen with the other set of movies. Imagine not knowing that Anakin was going to be Darth Vader...but then they won't have the full impact or goosebumps when in Episode Three when we see that transformation into Vader...... I'm thinking at their age they might be more attracted to the shiny and updated feel of the newer ones....so I guess I'm leaning more towards chronological order as much as that breaks my heart.
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,806
    edited May 2015
    @Thanos75 we were wondering about the same thing some months past. My husband and I are both avid SW fans, but OT mostly. I did enjoy having a bit more storyline and some bits of the prequels were okay. We finally decided on watching OT first. So we started with EP 4 and our son really enjoyed it. It was amazing to see him put things together. We watched 5 and 6 now as well and even though he knows it's Anakin who is Vader, he does not mind. He really enjoyed it all and in between we started watching the clone wars animated series.

Obviously, all a bit confusing chronologically (although we are watching them in chronological order, not just the air-date) but he seems to take it in his stride. He had seen the Legospoofs and knew things like Luke is the son from friends at school, but it does not dampen his enjoyment of the movies. We did need to explain a bit the time line, but he seems to understand and now when he plays with his LEgo-sets, he really goes: ok, so now Anakin is still Anakin, so Luke and Han Solo etc cant be in this scene :)

Originally we also choose to start with 4 seeing as it is the least gruesome of them all, but he really understand it's fiction and is not scared at all so  I am sure we will move on to the prequels soon. After watching the three OT movies he stated that he likes the second one the best, prefers leia in her outfit at jabba's palace (I quote: "she is really pretty then, mummy") and he loves the ewok tunes.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents, let us know what you decide! But I am sure, whatever it is, it will be fun to watch it with your kids and look at them watching the thing you love for the first time.
    Thanos75Andor
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,806
    @Briking I am building a modluar building with a bank on the first floor. I used the ATM from #31026 bike shop and was then allowed by my son to use the bankstuff from #6864 Batmobile and Two-face chase. I built it so that the window can still explode so my son can come and play with his baddies and batmobile in the city. I made the bank not the same with as a baseplate but instead put an alleyway next to it, here is then not only the lever to flip the windows but it is also a way to go into the back door of the #10211 GE, which is next door. I am planning on building a park behind it and there is also a door in the back that leads to the stairs going to the apartment to go on the top of the bank. For bricks I just used dark red and grey and a bit of gold (it is a bank after all) mostly from the #8078 Portal of Atlantis set.

I'll add some pictures - obviously this is a work in progress, not much inside detail yet and my sidewalk and floors need work. But thought it might help my explanation. Good luck with it! At least with a bank there might be some crime in the city and the police might have something to do ;)

BrikingAndorBumblepantsT77hkcrazy88
  • BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 745
    Looking good @snowhitie ;
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 549
    @Thanos75, I think this Over the Hedge comic got it right:
    https://overthehedgeblog.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/oh150501.gif
    Thanos75MathiasplasmodiumsnowhitieBuriedinBricks
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,695
    edited May 2015
    Very happy chappy.  Received a mysterious box in the post yesterday from a friend 3,743 miles away.  With help from my wife to open the box, found this lot inside.......

rancorbaitAndorBumblepantsGothamConstructionCoBrickDancersnowhitieLego_StarAdzbadboykhmellymel
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,650
    @Thanos75 I went with Episode 4 first as I wanted my son to experience it with me the way I experienced it with my dad. X-Wings, Chewie, The Falcon, Vader, Trench Run. Blue milk. Stormtroopers. It is just perfect.
    Pitfall69sidersddGothamConstructionCosnowhitieAndor
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,253
    how to condition your children into prefering the original trilogy. you may give this a little too much thinking lol.
  • EluneElune QuébecMember Posts: 99
    Got the Trevi Fountain for Mother's Day. :)
    JennisnowhitieAndorklatu003hkcrazy88
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,355
    Legoboy said:
    Very happy chappy.  Received a mysterious box in the post yesterday from a friend 3,743 miles away.  With help from my wife to open the box, found this lot inside.......

That's insane! What is up with that hot pink writing? 
    Says alot that pink writing.  :)
    I can't really make it out? Must really like you to use a pink marker ;)
    I'm hoping she does.  My wife better watch out.
    Pitfall69
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,460
    ^That is great news SIrKevbags. 
  • iadamsiadams UKMember Posts: 33
    ^^Well done Kev. Are you going to get registered with CAF to make it easier for us to give you money?
  • ccjwprongsccjwprongs UKMember Posts: 83
    Spent most of yesterday building a couple of sets I'm not technically allowed to talk about yet. Embargoes on LEGO sets are baffling... it's not as if there's anything to 'spoil' as such.
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,230
    Waiting for POV-Ray to render redoes of all the renders for updates to my current Lego Ideas project... Somehow the originals were deleted.  :( Messing around with a few ideas with actually bricks in front of me as I wait...
    xiahna
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,546
    Saruman391 oops sorry, i mean @samiam391

'Building'? Me thinks you got there a little late - we're just missing the 'Eomer was here' sign. :)

Alternatively, add a Gimli sitting on the top, with his axe buried in a head, and possibly a Legolas onlooking from the side, and we have a nice caption competition... 
    AndorplasmodiumLego_Starklatu003brickedin
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    And which Brickset member do we have here? 
    LostInTranslationDroneiso3200Lego_StarT77Andorcarlqhkcrazy88
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,546
    ^ And why does that little red bear-like critter in the far corner look like he has a green & blue rocket launcher over its shoulder?!
    Lego_StargandalfthebrickAndor
    ^Lucky you. 
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 984
    My status right now?....hmmmm......I think I'm bored.....after the Detectives Office & pet shop nothing really has excited me.  Bought a few Star Wars set from Target on the 4th, and went and picked them up , but I think I bought them just 'cuz I wanted to buy something.
  • jamiestjamiest englandMember Posts: 37
    legomatt said:
    ^ And why does that little red bear-like critter in the far corner look like he has a green & blue rocket launcher over its shoulder?!
    Wow that brings back memories from my kids.

click clack caterpillar!
  • T77T77 Member Posts: 5

My back aches from animating...  :o  

(I didn't appreciate how long it would take me for moving the figures on a boat sailing past a castaway on a small island - and that my set is built too low).

Hope that folk like it when it's finished.  :)

hkcrazy88
    Looking at MOCs makes me so eager to move to our house, sort out my pieces and start creating!
    Andor
  • rdflegordflego in a world of his ownMember Posts: 324
    Slow day in the today, currently fantasising about what to moc when I get home.
    Andor
  • chuxtoyboxchuxtoybox Member Posts: 711
    Paid fifty cents for a VHS copy of Attack of the Clones at a yard sale just so I can refresh my memory of how bad it is.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,650
    Just got home from the Lego store and they had most of the new summer stuff out. Star Wars, Agents, City etc. What really caught my eye was the new Spaceport #60080 was priced on the shelf at $119.99 for 586 pieces. Granted there are a couple large, special parts but this is no-license City set. I usually don't complain about pricy sets but I can see no justification for this one. Hopefully it is just a mistake by this particular store.
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,253
    I think it was the price at the toy fair. well, it was at least 100
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,366
    Trying to finish up a commission for a grocery store, then need to get cracking on projects for Brickworld Chicago.
    Argh, just lost a massive review of the Lonely Mountain set by an accidental link click...when will I learn to write the review in a word processor and paste it in?
  • karmajaykarmajay NCMember Posts: 38
    I saw (bought) #60080 at Toys R US. They also have the price at 119.99. Price is horrible but I don't have any other space shuttle stuff since i started late.
  • hkcrazy88hkcrazy88 USA/ItalyMember Posts: 163
    FINALLY got the bigger City sets we bought on Target's website during a sale in March! Glad to be caught up on all the City sets we wanted, at least until the summer release ones hit. :)
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,034
    Shib said:
    when will I learn to write the review in a word processor and paste it in?
    I think you just did :-p
    Unfortunately it's not the first time I've lost a review though :-(
  • AndorAndor United StatesMember Posts: 252
    That is a bummer. Your reviews are well written and informative. @Shib ;

• AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,615
    I just received my first Bricklink order from Cal's Bricks :)
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,615
    I just found out LEGO cancelled my parts orders for another Hulkbuster and the other £100+ order which is really frustrating and they said it needed to be reviewed which is why it's taking a while. I never got an email to say it was so I just assuming it was on it's way. I said they will notify me within 24 hours; if not I will be very annoyed since it's a huge order and it took about two days to actually do and find all the part numbers. So if I have to fill it in all again I will very annoyed! Worst customer service/LEGO experience EVER!
    edited May 2015
    Today I have received not one, not two, but three different Lego orders! *happy*

One of those includes several used sets from Bricklink and since I like to make sure not even one piece is missing when I give feedback... it means I'm going to spend a lot of time building in the next few days. ^_^

Also, I can't believe how good some people are at "feeling" minifigure bags. After my order was shipped, I kind of regretted not asking for the bags to be opened, but everything was just as it was supposed to be. *impressed*
  • BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 745
    Got confirmatio that the PAB order I placed last night has already been packed today.

#quick
  • karmajaykarmajay NCMember Posts: 38
    Hey Bubba. When you sell your set on Ebay as 100% and I get it in the mail partially disassembled, I get the feeling you did not do a piece count.
    ^It probably wasn't his fault, especially if he is from Arkansas or Alabama ;)