Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

"Name and Shame" - Shipping companies

MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,714
edited November 2013 in Buying & Selling Topics
Name and shame for couriers who fail to deliver.

Comments

• BTHodgemanBTHodgeman Member Posts: 622
    Wow - I know I'm not speaking for everyone in the US, but I haven't had any issues like that.

90% + is delivered by UPS. They leave it on my doorstep. If it's raining, they'll even put it in a plastic bag.

My big issue is with the retailers who either use boxes that are too large, insufficient packaging, etc.

Brent
  • The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    ^^ True. That's why I never buy at TRU. They sent my package in a box that was three times the size of the set with no packaging! UPS is very friendly though, and like you said, they deliver your packages in a plastic bag, even when its sunny.
  • nodnarb162nodnarb162 Member Posts: 58
    Ive also never had any issues with packages. But then again...I dont do much online shopping, so I probably dont have the chance to run into those kind of issues :P
  • iadamsiadams UKMember Posts: 34
    I've had two packages left in my recycling bin by Yodel. I complained to Amazon last time, and the nice man on their helpline said this wasn't the first such complaint they'd had, agreed it was unacceptable, and took all the details so they could tell Yodel where to yodel. My next delivery a few days later was left with a neightbour. My biggest problem with leaving with a neighbour is when the delivery guy is too lazy to come back and put a card letting me know through the door.
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,641
    I will never complain about the USPS again! I have had hundreds of packages comes through them and have only lost 1. My regular mailman always puts my boxes on my covered front porch. I will have to tip him this year, he's great!
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,404
    edited December 2011
    You know what? UPS can be SUCH a pain...

I know my UPS driver well, he stops almost every day (not just for Lego, for work reasons too).

With all the orders I've been placing, it can be hard to keep track, but I do watch them here and there.

On Thursday the 15th, UPS claims they delivered 13 boxes at 12:44pm to "Met customer woman" as it says in the UPS notes. First, my UPS driver never types that in, he always just marks them as "other - released".

Second, I was here at 12:44pm, working at my desk, looking right out my front window.

Third, my regular UPS driver did deliver 6 boxes at 5:32pm, right at his normal time.

These boxes all had Lego in them, 8 from Target, 1 from eBay, 3 from Amazon, and 1 from TRU. Expensive stuff too, one of the three boxes from Amazon had a pair of Imperial Flagships in them, the 1 from eBay is a new/sealed 10019. A few of the Target boxes had City of Atlantis in them.

I've been talking to UPS each day, they are deaf dumb and blind, they are completely useless...

So far, TRU has refunded me for the missing order and put in a claim. Amazon customer service is replacing the items they have and refunding me for the missing items. I have not heard back from the eBay seller, that is going to be a challenge because it is marked as "delivered", so Paypal might side with him if he doesn't help and UPS won't take a claim filed from me (I asked).

Target is putting in a claim/trace on the missing 8 boxes, they of course can't replace any of it because it was clearance stuff, so at best I'll get my money back there. Which is fine, but the whole damm thing is a pain in the butt.

And these are the 13 I know about, now I have to watch very closely for everything else.

Stupid UPS... Grr...
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    The other day I was home all day, and purposefully didn't use the bathroom just in case the UPS driver would attempt to deliver in that 3-minute window. I have a very small place, and it's impossible for me to be in a situation where I wouldn't be able to hear a knock or the doorbell.

Check status at 5:00pm:

4:58 - attempted delivery, no customer response

Thanks, jackasses. I have to assume that the driver was running behind and made the decision to bump to the next day.
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    ...and took all the details so they could tell Yodel where to yodel.
    Heh, nice.
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,329
    Last week I was waiting for the UPS guy to come. That morning I checked the tracking number and it said 'Out for Delivery' about an hour later, I checked it again and it said 'Unable to deliver. customer not at home'. I was like WTF? So I opened the door and taped to the security screen was a notice from UPS. I immmediately called the number on the notice and the nice people at UPS sent the driver a notice to redeliver. He came back at 7pm and knocked loud and clear. He joked with me for a few minutes. He had sent his "helper" up to deliver it that morning. I told him next time to tell them to knock louder.
    As for Fedex, ai refer to them as the knock, dump, and run crew. They knock on your door and before you even have the door open, they are running off. Glad I am a stay at home mom. I don't trust packages being left at my door for more than a few seconds.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,714
    As for Fedex, I refer to them as the knock, dump, and run crew. They knock on your door and before you even have the door open, they are running off.
    Yodel seem to be competing for that title. I had another parcel yesterday, and I was sat in the front room next to the door. I literally got straight up, but the same dozy looking guy was halfway to dropping it over the same fence!
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 818
    My wife ordered several LEGO books for me for Xmas and they arrived from Amazon/UPS on a day when it was raining cats and dogs. The UPS driver left the box on my front stoop in the rain. When my wife and I found the package the box was so brittle that when I picked it up it the side I was holding tore down the middle. Fortunately for my LEGO books, Amazon had them shrink wrapped inside the box and they were in perfect shape!
  • LambringoLambringo Member Posts: 104
    Firstly, an Australian online store similar to amazon is the would surely be ranked as having the most horrible distribution system ever. Apart from items being "in stock" and being charged to your card straight away, but then 2 months later getting a message saying they are out of stock, their shipping is sometimes flat piece of cardboard wrapped around a LEGO set box and taped up. ive had shoe prints on the actual LEGO boxes as well which means prior to shipping they are walking on them. No more from them.

Nowdays I purchase most of my LEGO online through amazon it/com/fr/es and each one has a different postal system. I am never home during the day so it is a lucky dip of what action I will have to take if a parcel is due for delivery. While they almost always arrive on time, some are delivered by DHL and left at the door, other times DHL will leave a note saying that they will try again or I can arrange pick up at the warehouse, if it is not DHL then it is Australia Post (our national postal service) and they never leave boxes at the door but the problem is that you have to pick it up from the local post office, which is never open when I am available. Amazon will also sometimes utilize the fast shipping option even if I only pay for regular slow post which is great as the fast shipping is always in better condition. I think amazon does a great job with their packaging, but the delivery companies have a lot to answer for. The national postal service in Australia is much better at not destroying boxes than the courier companies, and more reliable.

The only time I have had something go missing was a Death Star and two Yellow cargo trains which was my first “big” order online. I was following the delivery online while at work. Eventually it changed to delivered and signed for. I got home that afternoon so excited but there was no giant boxes at my front door. I checked all the details online again and it definitely said it was signed for by RRR. I called the DHL line but they said it was marked as delivered so it must have been left somewhere and I would have to wait till next week for them to investigate (overseas call centre who had no idea). I checked the entire surrounding of my house, neighbours houses including door knocking, other streets with the same house number and no luck. I managed to sneakily find the DHL warehouse Perth direct phone number and called them on Saturday and got a very helpful lady. She tracked down the driver, called him and found out that he was new and didn’t know what to do since I was not home so he just signed them as delivered and took them back to the warehouse. What kind of dumptys do they hire? They said they would be delivered on the Monday in the morning so I had my partners mum come over to wait to sign for them, but the delivery ended up being at 5:50pm that afternoon. I was not in the good books that day.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    Amazon uses the cheapest boxes, so even if they arrive fast they may be damaged. I have (on occasion) returned the sets for an exchange. Amazon is even worse when they use USPS for DVDs. Fifty-percent of the DVDs I receive are loose in the case upon arrival, and I always return those for an exchanged. I had one that I exchanged 3 times because of a loose disc, and Amazon finally just told me they were going to refund my money and not ship it to me at all (which they did).

They all have their problems, but most of those can be attributed to who uses the cheapest packaging...which is Amazon hands down!
  • giraffefrecklesgiraffefreckles Member Posts: 100
    I name to shame the United States Postal Service. Lost 2 out of maybe 10 packages where the store contracted UPS, then UPS subcontracted USPS. The first one was labeled, "delivered." (To whom?!? Even the USPS workers say they have the same problem with their own packages.). The second one's status has not been updated in the past week since it went out for delivery in my city. USPS was sure it's still somewhere, but I have to call back to set up an agent to track that thing down because the computer program that requests the agent was down for maintenance! (They better not lose my burrow!)

On the other hand, UPS has been great. Leaves my packages on my slightly-hidden front porch. They've even tried to hide them under my doormat. (Makes my doormat looks alive.)
  • bahnstormerbahnstormer Member Posts: 180
    UK couriers / royal mail suck but you get what you pay for. ie you pay free postage , you takes your chances.

the royal mail temps suck as well, 3 packages this month not confirmed with orange slips - turns out RM is now so cheap that you can now only track international parcels online, not letters(small packets)

I send to UK with DHL , costs around 17 euro and I can send 5kg insured for 500 euro and has to be signed for - find me a courier who will match that the other way.

USPS in my experience are 100%. website is cool as you can track signed for items from europe right to the door and even PO boxes. UPS over here are also ok, once sent a 31 kg guitar amp to italy and only cost 78 euro, fully insured and again had to be signed for.

I have ordered items from Lego USA for friends and sent via USPS standard shipping - well packed and never had anything go missing. in this instance, cheaper might be better!
    Found out what happened to my boxes tonight...

A holiday driver who doesn't know my area delivered them to my house number, one street over. Right number, wrong street. The UPS driver came to my door tonight and said he was very sorry, gave me his name and number, and said he was going to go try and get the boxes back. He helped carry them into the lady's house and everything.

Grr. At least they are doing something, which is nice... Annoying to not have the stuff, even more annoying because that 10019 Blockade Runner I won on eBay? Brand new mint in sealed box, paid $500 for it, nabbed it in an auction that few people bid on for some reason. Talk about a deal! That one would be hard to replace, even if I got the $500 back, how do you find ANOTHER 10019 NISB for that price?

Sigh...

Here is hoping I get the boxes... He said he was going to try again tonight at 7pm, that is in 30 minutes... will update with results...
    UPS uses "helpers" this time of year, and extra delivery drivers. Today, I got a package from a UPS driver I've never seen before. (I know the "usual" few who service my area.)

Last week, I had a package delivered by a lady without any uniform on from a MINIVAN!

All that being said, I've never had UPS mis-deliver or play the "customer not home" game.

Brent
    Well, I'm happy, UPS came through, they picked up all 13 boxes, turns out they were not even at the house the driver THOUGHT he left them at, but thankfully they do GPS tracking and they were able to figure out what house he WAS at when he scanned them delivered. He went there and got all 13 back. 3 of them had been opened, but everything was there.

So I finally got my 10019, mint in box, for $500, wahoo! :) Ok, I figured something out, it wasn't sealed, darn it... But the instructions were mint, the parts are all in the Lego plastic, the white boxes were there, and the retail box, while not mint, is really good.

Very happy with THAT! :)

I'll have to wait until tomorrow to open the rest, would make too much noise and wake the kids up, but as it stands, I'm getting closer to finishing my Star Wars UCS series... :)
  • EricEric Queensland, AustraliaMember Posts: 376
    An Australian online store similar to amazon is the would surely be ranked as having the most horrible distribution system ever.
    @Lambringo, who is this? I'm over in Brisbane, so, this kind of info is always good to know. :)

^^ That's pretty amazing. But you know, unless the recipients were of advanced age or otherwise mentally or physically challenged, one would think they could have discovered the mistake and drove/ walked it over to you by then -- one huge box at a time!
    @giraffefreckles - you would think, but you never know, perhaps they were hoping to keep it all? Then again, they did only open 3 of the 13 boxes, perhaps they figured out it wasn't theirs and waited for UPS to come knocking?

In addition to the 13 boxes recovered by UPS, another UPS truck came by with 37 more packages... I've already opened a few of them, here are some others... Yea, the front of our house is just a... tad... full of boxes right now... My wife really loves me, but I will say she has finally said "enough", get these in the garage, closet, out of her family room before Christmas, or... else I might be in trouble. :)

Never argue with an Aussie, they are tough! :)

What is REALLY sad is that most of these boxes have ONE item in them... Target is really bad about that, they ship every order in a seperate box, even when clearly they could fit 3 or 4 orders in one box. So the below picture isn't as much as it seems.

Or maybe it is? :)
    ^ oh, yes. I belonged to a scuba board. Aussie women are tough! It's the vegemite, I've read. :)

Yeah, I think I understand on the "finders, keepers." The only two USPS boxes "lost" to date had little plastic pieces tinkling inside. Truth be told, except for the precious discontinued Burrow, my Nordstrom boxes were worth more dough.
    Ugg, I can't STAND Vegemite, blah...

She loves the stuff, don't ask me why, it is just yeast extract...
    @eric fishpond.com.au. only once has a box come MISB and that was since it was still in the lego packing box. Check out bricksdownunder.com for further horror stories. there is even a post saying that lego were even investigating them since they are such horrible sellers
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    So I finally got my 10019, mint in box, for $500, wahoo! :) Ok, I figured something out, it wasn't sealed, darn it... But the instructions were mint, the parts are all in the Lego plastic, the white boxes were there, and the retail box, while not mint, is really good.
    If I recall correctly, the outer box on these sets were not sealed, but the inner boxes were. I remember that was definitely the case for the black and white original [email protected] version, but i can't recall if the colorized version had a sealed outer box. My copies of each are too far back in my storage to quickly look for you :P

Ahh, I'll have to check to see if there are cut seals or not. Didn't even look, was just so happy to have it! :)

One look at the parts, plus the weight of the box, and yea, I'm excited to build this and put it next to 10198! Anyone else have the two built? Is it really much bigger and better? Should I not get my hopes up?

One thing is, I might not get to build it... My wife took a look at it last night and said... "that is actually pretty neat, that might be fun to build".

Soo..... she might get to build it. :)

Happy wife, happy life... so true...
  • The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    I hate FedEx! One time I went to track my package on their online site, and they claimed "severe weather conditions, unable to deliver" while it was sunny without a cloud and 70 degrees! I love USPS though. They always take the extra yard to come knock on my door, and wait 2-3 minutes for me to come downstairs. Never really had any packages delivered by UPS, but on the rare occasion, they put the package outside of my garage.
    I just checked 10019, there were seals on the box, they were cut at some point.

I reread the auction listing, it doesn't say it isn't sealed, but then it doesn't say it was either. Then again, it is listed as new without conditions...

It does say the manual is in mint condition and the sticker sheet is unused and all the parts are in the sealed bags, so I guess you could assume from that it has been opened, but it doesn't say so.

Grr. I don't like it when it isn't clear, but whatever, I've decided I don't care. For a very good condition retail box, never built, 10019 for $500, I am happy. :)

Does anyone here have 10128 or 7191 to sell? Still trying to hunt those down to finish my collection.
  • EricEric Queensland, AustraliaMember Posts: 376
    ^ Really, 10128? Seems like an odd choice to sit next to 10019 and 7191.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,825
    Came across this this morning. Have to say, it's quite approprite!

• drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,732
    I'm excited to build this and put it next to 10198! Anyone else have the two built? Is it really much bigger and better? Should I not get my hopes up?
    10019 is vastly superior to 10198 IMHO. While I haven't actually photographed them together, I did previously post some thoughts on the comparison :

http://gimmelego.blogspot.com/2010/09/favourite-set-3-ultimate-collector.html

I'm excited to build this and put it next to 10198! Anyone else have the two built? Is it really much bigger and better? Should I not get my hopes up?
    10019 is vastly superior to 10198 IMHO. While I haven't actually photographed them together, I did previously post some thoughts on the comparison :

http://gimmelego.blogspot.com/2010/09/favourite-set-3-ultimate-collector.html

OT, but this isn't a bad comparison either.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?s=9a98123d6442cb697e9554a690623e08&showtopic=47216&st=0
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,820
    Came across this this morning. Have to say, it's quite approprite!
    Nice of him to try to not walk on the grass at the end though.

• bricknationbricknation Member Posts: 717
    10 boxes of lego from Argos order delivered by Yodel - imagine that!

...and yes I know - I should have known that.
    ^ Really, 10128? Seems like an odd choice to sit next to 10019 and 7191.
    Ahh, that SHOULD HAVE BEEN 10129

Grr, typo... :)
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,329
    I saw the Fedex video on Inside Edition last night. I was shocked to say the leadt. I hope he got fired. I had some dill weed UPS guy throw a box marked fragile over my balcony once.
    Picked these up today. DHL professionalism.
  • jadeirenejadeirene US, CaliforniaMember Posts: 474
    @LegoFanTexas I have a 10129 to sell if you're really looking. I have both a MISB and a used one, which is adult owned and in great condition. PM me if you're interested.
    Here is an interesting article that speaks about the difficulties some shipping companies are having due to huge increases in demand in online shopping.

It mentions Yodel, which I believe was mentioned in this thread: http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/eee3858e-2caa-11e1-8cca-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1hKP7BDk0

Brent
    edited December 2011
    ^^^ Eeeeek! They must have stacked someone's bowling ball gift on top...

By the way, my package is officially lost by USPS. B&N refunded me, but their computer system can't ship me a replacement Burrow from stores because their online computers don't talk directly to the store computers. Antiquated. I got myself a Hagrid's Hut from a local store instead. At least I'll still get to play house...
  • JP3804JP3804 Member Posts: 332
    FEDEX returned 4 of my orders to Amazon as undeliverable last night. I have bought 1000's of items from Amazon in the last 3 years all shipped to the same address. My father is bedridden and their is someone here 24/7.
    I received the cancellation e-mails at about 12:30 AM. I live about 20 miles from the closest FedEX. I saw the story on the national news were a FedEx drive dropped a computer monitor over the fence. Makes me think the driver got tired and said F*** this and just sent them back. The worst part is one of them was a Christams gift for a 4 year old. He is going to be devastated. :-(
    I put in a request for Amazon to call me and the phone rang immediately. :-) I explained the issue and Heather was very helpful. She said she could not turn them around because they were already on there way back. She is is investigating with FEDEX.
    I asked here if I could reorder for the same price since every thing had went up in price. She said she would take care of it and gave me a $20.00 account credit. I went to Amazon and all the stuff was in my cart at the raised prices :-( so I guess it's back to Amazon customer service. Price went up $70.00 so $20.00 doesn't quite cover it.
    I think since I am on a roll I will contact FedEx also. I will let you know how it turns out.
    @jp3804 - she may have replaced the order for you. Did you check your order history?

Brent
    Also, for what it's worth, if you are a Prime member, Amazon does have the ability to deliver some items tomorrow.

I would contact them and see if they can do that for you.

Brent
    ^ Thanks I will check that.
    According to FedEx, Amazon never shipped the order :-(
  • johnsbricksjohnsbricks Member Posts: 210
    I received my latest Lego [email protected] order, picked it up outside in the rain - surprisingly though it was Yodel that delivered it??? I can't understand that as the tracking for the order was DHL but the 'sorry you weren't at home card' was Yodel. I do hope that DHL aren't subcontracting Yodel as I have stopped buying from any company that uses Yodel....
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,714
    ^ DHL UK Residential deliveries were subcontracted to HDNL (part of DHL), which then rebranded into (****ing) Yodel.
    edited January 2012
    I've just collected my Tesco direct order from a local store. Who wants to see what happened inside?
    ^ Shameful! I truly don't understand what they're thinking at the time of packing. I guess they're just hoping there's more to be saved in reducing the packaging materials than there is in having to sort out the odd complainer. Having said that, I do know that Argos just return their damaged goods as 'faulty' back to LEGO, so they don't lose out.
    edited January 2012
    Thinking about complaint I have performed careful post-mortem of the package. Only 2 out of 18 boxes showed no sign of damage. The bubble wrap seen on the 1st picture made no difference.