Lego Ferris Wheel Set #10247

Comments

• SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,861
    There is something to be said for a forum topic that covers the Pontiac Aztec and vomit stories.

That stupid car came with the option for an ass-tent. That was the real demise of Pontiac...
    dougtsMODVLEX
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,374
    ^An ass-tent? I think that is what Kim Kardashian needs when she goes camping ;)
    dougtsbobabricks
  • Final_SignFinal_Sign KentuckyMember Posts: 101
    haha, you all had me with tears in my eyes laughing about those childhood memories of carnival rides!  I was never brave enough to ride the Zipper or similar rides and it seems like I was justified.  I think I was more afraid of those rusty old looking rides falling apart than barfing though.

I'll be honest, I was not at all interested in the Mixer set, but this Ferris Wheel is pretty impressive and actually has me considering both now.
  • Faedian7Faedian7 Member Posts: 50
    I built the Mixer set this past weekend and my wife who doesn't share the same enthusiasm for Lego that I do made the comment that she really liked the set. She even preferred the set over the many modulars that I have on display because this set actually does something. She really seems to enjoy seeing the Mixer move which I now have to motorize it. The other day I showed her the Ferris Wheel and she immediately said I needed to buy it. Just goes to show, that everyone has different taste!
    dougtsTheLoneTensortiminchicagoFarmer_Johnhkcrazy88FollowsCloselyRainstorm26Andor
  • herbyderbyherbyderby CaliforniaMember Posts: 54
    I've only come out of the dark ages a couple of years ago, but I've made up for lost time (modulars, orthanc, death star, etc.). Honestly even among those the Mixer is one of my favorite sets. I do have a 3 year old so playability is perhaps higher on my list than for other people, but it also has: very interesting build, great minifigure selection, glow in the dark pieces, mini games that actually work, optional power functions, and awesome *transforms into truck* feature. I think it is one of those sets that is better than you expected, once you actually build it. Super excited for the ferris wheel (and future sets)!
    groundedMODVLEXparadisiaAndor
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,282

even though I don't play with them anymore, I prefer sets which have play functions. well, to be honest, some of them are quite lame, like those flick missiles, or those small catapults, but there are some really cool ones, like the abduction feature on alien abduction, or the splitting feature in temple of fire.

• Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    I do enjoy building the basic sets like the Modulars, UCS, etc., but I am a sucker for sets with gears and that do things. That's why I like the Technic theme, and particularly train sets and sets like the Ferris Wheel and Mixer. I would love to have an automated Fairground scene with many rides and lights sitting on our dining room table. Heck, I might even work on some discrete audible files for each different rides. A basic MOC to add to this would be a small motorized train like the image below...perhaps using the narrower gauge tracks from the Batman Funhouse set. It might also be possible to do a simple bumper car set using cars with single front wheels that pivot (so they go in random directions). Lots of possibilities...

Andor
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,836
    edited May 2015
    @Farmer_John I recently parted together #4000014 and It's not that expensive to do. It can be even less expensive if you choose not to get the exclusive printed parts. I'm sure you could fit in a battery box and an IR receiver as well if you got parts to make a few more cars.
    pharmjod
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 903
    I have to admit that the Mixer was one of my favourite builds. I love the folding mechanism. It's just such a different build and set to anything else - there's really nothing quite like it. It was refreshing building something that wasn't a spaceship and there's so much character to it. I also have a young kid so sets with play features are appealing, but I also like these types of sets. At the moment we're having lots of fun playing with the Simpsons house and Kwik-E-Mart, Mixer, Pirate ship/Imperial flagship and Heartlake high (my son likes playing nursery with it!). I'm looking forward to getting the Ferris wheel next week and start playing with that.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited May 2015
    I do enjoy building the basic sets like the Modulars, UCS, etc., but I am a sucker for sets with gears and that do things. That's why I like the Technic theme, and particularly train sets and sets like the Ferris Wheel and Mixer. I would love to have an automated Fairground scene with many rides and lights sitting on our dining room table. Heck, I might even work on some discrete audible files for each different rides. A basic MOC to add to this would be a small motorized train like the image below...perhaps using the narrower gauge tracks from the Batman Funhouse set. It might also be possible to do a simple bumper car set using cars with single front wheels that pivot (so they go in random directions). Lots of possibilities...

I also wish this were possible.  Alas, Lego has done the curved and ramp pieces in narrow gauge, but for some inexplicable reason they have yet to do straight track.
    bobabricks
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,802
    edited May 2015
    I also wish this were possible.  Alas, Lego has done the curved and ramp pieces in narrow gauge, but for some inexplicable reason they have yet to do straight track.
    Part of the reason they haven't done straight track in narrow gauge could be that they often just use these in sets that need straight, narrow-gauge track. There are very few sets that use the narrow-gauge track anyway — just three that use the curved track and two that use the sloped track.

I did discover at one point, though, that LEGO does have a patent for straight, narrow-gauge track. It's just not a part they've ever actually put in a set. That's not to say it's a part they still plan to produce, though. After all, there are a lot of prototype pieces that they patented "just in case" but ended up not producing, such as different sizes of LEGO dice.

Bumper cars would be a cool fairground ride, but I don't know if they'd end up becoming a part of this series since it'd be hard to give them the same functional flair as the Ferris Wheel or Fairground Mixer. But if this series goes on I think it's likely that LEGO will at least TRY to tackle the roller coaster problem. Perhaps they could even use Technic outer cable to create more flexible rails.
    edited May 2015
    I get the use of those straight rails (like in the Lone Ranger Mine), and although I generally prefer dedicated track, I could live with that as a brick-built option.  Unfortunately, a) those rails are bley, and the narrow gauge tracks are black, and b) they wouldn't connect to each other without an underbase.
  • bricktuarybricktuary EuropeMember Posts: 470
    I like the mixer and built most of it with my kids. It's a very clever design and there is a lot of play. I agree it's not a showpiece display model bit it's still a great set and can be easily embellished. Some of the minifigs are a delight.

I will probably get the Ferris Wheel pretty soon after launch and start on a bigger City fairground. Possibly with the Ghost Train as the basis for, erm, a ghost train.

Anyone know for sure when the FW goes on sale to VIPs? (In the UK)
    prevere
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,802
    I get the use of those straight rails (like in the Lone Ranger Mine), and although I generally prefer dedicated track, I could live with that as a brick-built option.  Unfortunately, a) those rails are bley, and the narrow gauge tracks are black, and b) they wouldn't connect to each other without an underbase.
    The narrow-gauge rails in their original appearance (#7199 The Temple of Doom) were bley. But I get your point about them not connecting to each other.

I think LEGO is currently just riding on that they haven't yet needed a set with both straight and curved narrow-gauge rails, so they've been able to make do with either the newer rail system (for curves and inclines) or the older individual rails (for straight track).
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,059
    I wonder what this would look like if you managed to put two together? Wow.

AND added power functions...
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 719
    ^The rockets are very cute.
  • bricktuarybricktuary EuropeMember Posts: 470
    ^^ amazing!!
  • ascap29ascap29 ManchesterMember Posts: 10
    Thanks! I've actually made the traditional seating for the ride, too. Here's my youtube link to show the ride working. (It's been slowed down so it can be seen better): 
  • ascap29ascap29 ManchesterMember Posts: 10
    I'm looking to sell this at a later date. Can anyone give me a guide price on what I should be asking for? 
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    Well...it's getting close to mid-May. I'm wondering when there will be an announcement of the date TLG will start early selling this set to VIPs?
  • 3stackshs3stackshs Member Posts: 294
    I thought I heard may 13th somewhere was the day.
    Andor
  • hewmanhewman Member Posts: 90
    3stackshs said:
    I thought I heard may 13th somewhere was the day.
    Yes. Australians can buy it now.
    Yep, you can buy it now from the UK shop
  • 3stackshs3stackshs Member Posts: 294
    available on US shop now.  Limit 2

• GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 644
    showing as "sold out" expected ship date may 27th... I only received the Lego email about it 2 min ago! oh well I'm in no rush on this one.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,331
    I'm in no hurry to get one if there are no polybag specials with it. I would even take another Balloon cart if they were to add that to the purchase of a Ferris wheel.

• mldj77mldj77 Philadelphia, PAMember Posts: 63
    I'm not in a hurry for it either, but I still ordered one. I "need" it for my collection. I haven't even built the mixer yet & don't know where I will put either one. I might have an addiction, lol.  :)
  • bsiu922bsiu922 SF Bay Area, CAMember Posts: 439
    May 15 to May 31th will be spiderman polybag and June will be Winter Soldier   I m waiting for Winter Soldier

madforLEGO
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 590
    I need to see this motorized asap!!
    3stackshs said:

Mine shows Limit 1...must have had a lot of orders come in. I'll probably order mine next month to get the Winter Soldier.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,331
    3stackshs said:

Mine shows Limit 1...must have had a lot of orders come in. I'll probably order mine next month to get the Winter Soldier.
    Same here. I kinda would rather see a dedicated poly for the Ferris wheel though.
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,624
    I read though Huw's review for the set and normally the review gets me hyped for the set; not the case this time. I'd say is the least appealing D2C set of the year so far; not that it's bad, it's just LEGO have had so many outstanding sets this year already and that it falls to the bottom of the list.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,876
    3stackshs said:

Same here. I kinda would rather see a dedicated poly for the Ferris wheel though.
    How about a mini Ferris poly freebie? That would be fun.
  • Gavin83Gavin83 Member Posts: 251
    Basta said:
    @Farmer_John or this one

It's in Pripyat Ukraine and just before it was to open in 1986 the Chernobyl incident occurred. It has featured in a couple of computer games including Call Of Duty. Maybe Jamie is a bit of a gamer.

I've actually seen this in person. I have to be honest I haven't met many people who have been there!
    prevere said:
    It took them forever to get a full-sized Ferris Wheel; I wouldn't hold my breath for a mini-sized one. :smile: 
    prevere said:
    It took them forever to get a full-sized Ferris Wheel; I wouldn't hold my breath for a mini-sized one. :smile: 

• dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,128
    Gavin83 said:
    Basta said:
    @Farmer_John or this one

It's in Pripyat Ukraine and just before it was to open in 1986 the Chernobyl incident occurred. It has featured in a couple of computer games including Call Of Duty. Maybe Jamie is a bit of a gamer.

I've actually seen this in person. I have to be honest I haven't met many people who have been there!
    Add me to the list.  Eerie place
    dougts said:
    Gavin83 said:

Sounds like where I grew up in flyover country...
    dougts said:
    Gavin83 said:
    Basta said:
    @Farmer_John or this one

I played Call of Duty 4, does that count?  Damn dogs.
    Call of Duty 4 was Actually Modern Warefare correct? I don't think they had dogs. World at War had dogs and so did Black Ops.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^Ghosts had dogs too.
    Pitfall69
    ^Yes, they did, but wasn't it just a guard dog that went after people? Ugh. Ghosts one of the worst COD games. I'm not that fond of Advanced Warfare either...
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    edited May 2015
    ^Yes as default, it was a single guard dog after like 7 killstreak. But you can pay for the mod to have it be a wolf instead, which appears larger in size and similar to those from the House of Stark.

The MP maps for Ghosts was not very good. They tried to straddle the line between close quarters and expansive open maps like BF, but ended up in a bad nether zone that was not good on either point. The map that exemplified this were Seige (mining town) and Stonehaven (castle ruins). Large fragmented map made for long time between contact and lots of running upon respawn, that is if you didn't get sniped along the way from long distance with so many camping spots.

My favorite is still MW2, it had great maps (Terminal, Afghanistan, Favela) and awesome killstreaks (AC130, Chopper Gunner) along with some fun noob tube gear (Javelin, RPG) and excellent player movement. Black Ops slowed down the player movement too much, but did give us fun stuff like the crossbow and dogs.

I've skipped AW as I'm taking a break from gaming between the generational jump. Thinking about going back in with just the PS4 for Metal Gear 5 and gearing up again with Black Ops 3.
    Pitfall69
    edited May 2015
    Pitfall69 said:
    Call of Duty 4 was Actually Modern Warefare correct? I don't think they had dogs. World at War had dogs and so did Black Ops.
    Yes, that's the game.  And no, I'm not referring to the killstreak dogs in later games.  One of the missions had you visit Pripyat in the past (see? not a total thread derail), and there was a seemingly random wild dog you could choose to kill or not.  Doing so had...repercussions...

Btw, COD4 is easily in my top 5 games of all time.  The single player was absolutely amazing.

Pitfall69
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,410
    Sorry, slight thread derail here. I prefer Mario of any sort to that. Carry on.
    binaryeyePitfall69DougoutpharmjodFarmer_JohnT_LarsFollowsCloselyAndorhkcrazy88
    Lego Xbox Games are the new big deal in our home...especially Super Heroes.
    Andor
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,282
    I let you guess from which game my avatar comes
  • AmmlegoAmmlego MiamiMember Posts: 3
    Got it, built it, fantastic. And huge. Mechanisms are great, landscaping and "base" elements and design are wonderful. Wonder they use the regular 48 x 48 baseplate if it would've been too flimsy? It's also easily customizable, I might buy some extra translucent bricks to put on the outside of the wheel. An awesome set, I think the pricing is great, especially considering the size and detail, and what you get when compared to other similarly-priced sets. 
    NickF22
    Picked my one up from the Lego shop this evening. Saw the one that they had on display and it looks amazing! Can't wait to build and play with it!
    Lego_Star