Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

BBC2 Collectaholics

2»

Comments

• GreendudeGreendude Member Posts: 58
    Collecting just for the sake of it is pointless unless you have museum-like space to display everything or have enough time/need to moc daily. I get a very similar feeling from building Lego on LDD which means I only need to collect themes I love or specific sets I love.
    SuperTrampAdeelZubair
  • bricktuarybricktuary Krakozhia (temporarily stuck in London)Member Posts: 571
    edited April 2015
    I'd miss the tactility and the noise.

I tend to start with a limited number of parts and build something, rather than start with a design and find the parts. If that makes sense.

And yes, often it is is a house, a car or a spaceship which emerges.... :smiley:
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,325
    Greendude said:
    Collecting just for the sake of it is pointless unless you have museum-like space to display everything or have enough time/need to moc daily.
    Not really. You can build and display sets / themes on a rotation basis.
    ShibLegopantsdrdavewatfordAndorAdeelZubair
  • omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 831
    I couldn't make Brick 2014, so I was glad to see Mark's collection on the TV, it was awesome!

I remember being disappointed when I went to Legoland (Windsor) that there were almost no Lego sets built.  Miniland is fun and all that, but I want to see a massive Lego City with every set ever made - unrealistic though that may be.

Surely having a display with every currently available set shouldn't be that hard?
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755

@Pitfall69
    It sounds like a brilliant idea to sell off old themes that no longer hold your interest in order to calm things down a bit. It seems that our tastes change quite a bit over time, and we can benefit from recycling things we no longer cherish. Hobbies are that way for sure. And there is no reason to fill every square foot of free space in our homes with LEGO and royally piss off our partners/spouses with the mess. 

The good news is that there always is someone looking for the themes you want to purge from your collection. I recycle things all the time and enjoy seeing the pleasure they bring to those in another home. One way to do this is to invite your friends for a meal and require them to take something from the pile near the front door home with them. I used to do this every time I moved, and it worked! Or you can hold a holiday party and use a list of the favorite LEGO theme of everyone and choose names off the list for an exchange of presents. Or just select a charity that could use some of your less valuable sets and pieces. We have a family reunion every two years, and it is easy to pack up a small box of used LEGO for each of the kids. 
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,423
    ^I actually do some of this already. My nephews came to visit a few weeks ago and one went home with a Lego set (used) and the other went home with a couple of sealed Star Wars sets.
    Unfortunately, my collections aren't limited to just Lego.
    legomattbinaryeyeAndorRenegade007cjhLego_Star
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,351
    Pitfall69 said:
    You're talking about your My Little Pony collection right?
    LegoboykhmellymelBumblepantsPitfall69AndorRenegade007cjhLego_Starpharmjod
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    Pitfall69 said:
    I love Action Fleet; it's probably my favorite line of Star Wars toys. Unfortunately I was a broke college student when it was out and had very little to spend on it. I only have the battle packs with the dewback, escape pod, landspeeder, rondo, and the Cloud Car. I'm extremely jealous of your collection!
    ^I love them as well. I am missing a few of the ships, but I was able to aquire the two most rare and expensive ones at a drug store of all places. I do have some extras that I am looking to get rid of if you are interested :)
    samiam391 said:
    Pitfall69 said:
    You're talking about your My Little Pony collection right?
    I'm only going to give you a "like" because you are so far behind ;)
    LegoboyRenegade007cjhLego_Star
    binaryeye said:
    Pitfall69 said:
    I love Action Fleet; it's probably my favorite line of Star Wars toys. Unfortunately I was a broke college student when it was out and had very little to spend on it. I only have the battle packs with the dewback, escape pod, landspeeder, rondo, and the Cloud Car. I'm extremely jealous of your collection!
    I have way too much stuff.
    legomattGothamConstructionCoRenegade007cjhbinaryeyeAndoraimlesspursuits
  • Renegade007cjhRenegade007cjh Essex, UKMember Posts: 687
    ^ Hey, I've got some of those.  I also remember picking up a load of the Micro Machines sets (SW, James Bond etc.) and they've never even been displayed :(

@Pitfall69 have you got any of the Limited Edition Bronze vehicles?  I got some promotional twin-packs (think they were AT-AT & Snow Speeder).  May have to go a-hunting and take some piccies.
    ^No, I never grabbed those. I did grab the Micro Machines heads that opened up into playsets. Those were neat :)
  • PoochyPoochy USAMember Posts: 479
    edited April 2015
    FYI, for the non-UK folks, the Lego episode is also on youtube (starts around 19:25):

Daragh
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,912
    Man, I had basically all the Action Fleet and Micro Machine stuff from the 90s. I had the mother of all yard sales about 8 years ago and just purged everything. I made some moms and kids really happy that day. There were literally moms almost running up to the house as they had gotten calls / texts from girl friends to stop what they were doing and come quick. It was very cathartic for me. 
    Pitfall69
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,964
    iPlayer currently says "Sorry, this episode is not currently available", but the episodes before and after this one are still available!
  • Lucifer_AdamsLucifer_Adams United KingdomMember Posts: 12
    iPlayer currently says "Sorry, this episode is not currently available", but the episodes before and after this one are still available!
    Yeah, I've just found the same. That makes me think that someone asked for it to be taken down. Odds on it being LEGO themselves?