Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Do you still count it if....

VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,248
Curious to see what responses I get, I personally am of two minds on the matter. I've bought several set specifically for MOCs, once I grab what I need, I'll be putting some parts aside for future MOCs & throwing the rest of the parts into the trays that have been dubbed the family Lego. My question is, should I still count that set as a set I own, or remove it off my list/reduce number of sets by one? & would you feel the same way if the minifigs for that set were to be sold off?

Comments

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,375
    edited April 2015
    Hahahahaha ohhhhh man. This subject ranks up there with "27% off Exclusives" and "When will the DS retire?" ;)

pharmjodnatro220dougts
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,443
    I count all sets as owned as long as I still have all the pieces. It doesn't matter if the set is made or broken up for parts. I've never sold off parts or minifigs, but if I did I would consider itbas not owning that set.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,375
    edited April 2015
    ^Was thinking about this the other day. I started deleting sets from my childhood that I know I still have most of the parts for, but if someone asked me to actually present the set, I wouldn't be able to do it. I don't have the instructions, most of the stickers are gone or worn and some of the minifigures may be missing. Yes, I could piece my sets together, but a lot of the molds have changed for the parts and minifigures and if a set came with stickers, I don't consider it complete without the stickers.
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,248
    Well, I guess I might have to reassemble my old sets to see which ones I should uncheck, I suspect a helpful family member may have pilfered minifigs & also suspect a few 'valued' pieces from some sets. As for stickers, I would have to add more to the uncheck list, as I found some were beginning to come unstuck, when trying to retain them got too difficult, them were removed.
    xiahna
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,232
    edited April 2015
    I don't, personally.  If I break up a set to put in the MOC bin, that set gets removed from my owned "sets".  That way I don't have to track parts that may get lost (or, in future years, pieces that my niece and her cousins may walk off with - they are a little too young for Lego now, but I anticipate the day! :D).  

The problem is keeping an accurate part count, though.  Was thinking of creating two Brickset IDs, one with everything (that I don't maintain quite as rigorously - like I won't fill out the ACM), and one for the "collection".  I do keep track of the minifigs in "loose" minifigs, though.  I should probably do this now while my collection is still quite small...  
    dougtschuckp
  • PlellPlell Member Posts: 192
    This would be why I've pretty much given up on trying to track my collection. Last weekend I built a MOC for a friend's birthday, and as a result I technically no longer own about a dozen different sets.
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 621
    edited April 2015
    Similar to @khmellymel , I guess it depends on how you want to define your collection.  The only downside I can think of, is that if you ever start selling off the "family lego" parts (or they "grow legs" when the kids' friends come over to play), then you might inadvertently "give away" some of the sets you think you have.

If you're slightly obsessive like me, you can just track your individual MOC parts instead of the sets (this is best done on a different fan site, I personally use Basebrick)...but again, it depends on how you want to keep track of things.

Most important, of course, is that you build with the parts you have!
    chuckp
    @Oldfan, the family Lego I'm suspecting has incomplete sets is my old stuff (all of the pre 2000 items in my collection), as opposed to the stuff we're getting for our boys (& items my Wife wants like the Elves & the Modulars stuff). I ended up leaving home at 17, at the time I wasn't allowed to take my Lego, so my brother & sister had unfettered access to it. My brother in a few short years time started working at a movie memorabilia place a friend of his opened. Being that he was somewhat versed in collectibles, I strongly suspect he is the one who may have made a little bit of extra cash selling pieces off to friends into Lego collecting.
    FollowsCloselyxiahna
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 949
    I only include sets that are sorted in baggies ready to build. You could use the new Custom Flags to mark sets that are sorted out vs. set that are in bulk.

• masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 474
    I don't, personally.  If I break up a set to put in the MOC bin, that set gets removed from my owned "sets".  That way I don't have to track parts that may get lost (or, in future years, pieces that my niece and her cousins may walk off with - they are a little too young for Lego now, but I anticipate the day! :D).  

The problem is keeping an accurate part count, though.  Was thinking of creating two Brickset IDs, one with everything (that I don't maintain quite as rigorously - like I won't fill out the ACM), and one for the "collection".  I do keep track of the minifigs in "loose" minifigs, though.  I should probably do this now while my collection is still quite small...  
    you wouldnt need a second account since Huw added the 4 custom flags. since you can query for those you could use one of them as a Parts-Bin-owned flag
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    That's why I don't have "family" LEGO. My daughter has hers and I have mine. She certainly can have access to mine at times, but it is pretty limited. She definitely doesn't have access to any of my childhood LEGO (neither do I, it's all boxed up away from prying eyes) and very limited access to the bricks. No minifigures outside of what I've purchased for her.
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 261
    I've done that.  I've got sets that were bought for me when I was 4 or 5 that now, aren't even 10 percent complete, but I have them listed as "owned'. 
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,065
    Yeah I mean in terms of owning the set if you have all the pieces it doesnt matter what you do with them.  If you start building MOC's and selling them off, welp, now you sold off those pieces and certainly dont "own" the particular set or sets those pieces came from.

"Family LEGO" thats new to me - I like the terminology but not really a fan of what it is.  With a new daughter (3 months old today) I will eventually have LEGO for her to play with, but it will be completely separate from my collection.  I am going to feel real akward when she is 10 and wants to play with my LEGO collection with her friends and they can't get through the lock and key on my LEGO room.  :)
    gmonkey76SumoLegoMordoor
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 545
    Will Ferrell, is that you?
    SolariousVorpalRyuSumoLego
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,818
    ^^ family Lego is HER Lego that SHE lets YOU play with. :-)
    gmonkey76mr.pigglesSolarious
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,949
    People everywhere are always messing with my stuff!
    VorpalRyu
    The family Lego in our household comprises my old sets from my childhood (all the sets before 1995 on my Brickset) & sets we are buying for the boys now (mostly City at the moment), plus the stuff my wife wants, like the Modulars, etc. My personal Lego comprises of Marvel, Ultra Agents & some selected SW sets (like the Microfighters), plus any sets I want to build my MOCs. I decided to give over my old Lego so that my boys would have a good amount of material to build.
    xiahna