Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

How is this being offered?

Comments

• dremel99dremel99 Member Posts: 123
    ^^ EMS form is completely filled out in Mandarin...no english weight listed. Google for the horror stories. You will have no recourse whatsoever. Refusing delivery is your only hope. Good luck.
    Well you are simply wrong in saying your "only hope is refusing it". I have bought and sold on Ebay since 1998 and can tell you that there are more options than just refusing it.

Paypal will not say that is your only option. I think you state things as fact when actually there is a lot more involved. Have you personally looked at the information that Paypal receives back from a seller whom they have asked for a shipping proof/receipt etc?

I have been burned a couple of times through the years from International sellers and have always had my money refunded by Paypal.

You are dead wrong in saying "you will have no recourse whatsoever". That is incorrect and simply stating that is how it is, means nothing.

• romdamromdam Member Posts: 136
    Ok, I received an item form a guy who says he is located in Southaven, MA. I got it christmas wrapped it, and sent it, along with other presents to my nephew. This was his big present. Now as I read this thread, I know now I got in on it. The seller was from Southaven, it was charged to a guy in Pennsacola, Fl, and shipped from lego to me in WI. I want no part in this so do I email the seller and threaten him so I get my money back and report him? Do I contact the person who was chared? I don't have the set and don't have itto ask my nephew to send it back to me after givin it to him. Do I contact Paypal for my charge back? Obviously it sounds like Lego won't care as this guy is getting about 4 positive feedbacks a day which is more money for Lego.
  • pcironepcirone Long Island, NYMember Posts: 346
    What is the sellers' eBay ID?
  • andystarandystar Member Posts: 275
    edited December 2011
    @romdam When this happened to me I did the following:

1) Document the transaction - obtain PDFs of all ebay/paypal/transaction information you can get. Also any shipment tracking info is a major help, if the seller sent you the FedEx tracking info, include the email from them with FedEx number.

2) Try to get your money back - contact seller stating them that when you tried to order direct from lego they had you shipping address flagged due to a recent transaction for the item you bought via the auction guy and Lego has said the credit card is "bad" and needs the set returned. When I did this the seller refunded me immediately. They don't want negative feedback.

3) Address the Problem with LEGO directly - call Lego and explain the sitution, ask them about your account and you recently won an item via auction but the shipper/billing address didn't line up and the set came direct from Lego. Most likely its bought with a stolen card. Lego will send you a prepaid shipping label and ask you to send the set back in the same box. If you do not have the set, I recommend you go buy one and send that one back. LEGO will also ask for any transaction documentation you can provide, hence doing #1 above first.

Took about 2 weeks to clear everything up with LEGO. Until it is resolved you will not be able to order sets from LEGO [email protected]

Hope everything works out for you.
  • The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    His eBay account has been banned. He is now trying to do it on other online sites. Shame on him!
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    This happened to me in September but I didn't figure it out till reading this thread in November. The eBay seller's account had been shut down and eBay doesn't do anything more than a month after the sale. I called LEGO, the original person I talked to asked some questions and knew where to send me. I talked to someone else in the consumer sales support team, she confirmed that it was dropshipped and that I was flagged in their system.

Fortunately I keep all emails like that so I was able to forward them to LEGO. They asked me to send the set back but when I told them that I had built it they told me to keep it (might work that way for you romdam as it's not in your possession). LEGO also asked me to contact my local police department, who were truly confused as to what to do as I still had the set. eBay does have a fraud reporting procedure but it only wants to hear from the police, not buyers. Eventually I convinced the police that they could, and should, use the eBay fraud report procedure. They did so and gave me some paperwork but didn't actually open a case. I gave that information to the LEGO CSST person.

I took a while for me to stop averting my eyes from the LEGO set but we had no trouble ordering from [email protected] last month. I hope you work it out romdam.
  • eackermanneackermann Member Posts: 3
    Same thing happened to me on BrickLink. Again, it was not a "too good to be true deal", but merely a 10% discount or so.

I have prepared all the documentation on my case that I could find, and have contacted LEGO customer service, I will see how things pan out.

As for spotting or identifying these scams it seems almost impossible. The sellers have good (indeed excellent) feedback, and often very realistic prices. For example, someone could have LEGITIMATELY picked up two Tower Bridge (10214) sets from TRU recently using their BOGO50 deal and sell these for $200 each and still make a decent profit, which is what I have bought them for.

So what can one do to avoid/identify these scams? Never buy current sets from third party sellers? That would hurt a lot of honest sellers out there. I just don't know anymore...
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    edited December 2011
    He replied back this morning asking if I would hold onto the sets and forward them onto his next customer and he would Paypal me the postage for doing that.
    Wonder what would have happened if you said "sure," returned the items to LEGO, and then did nothing when he told you to send the sets off to the next victim.
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    So what can one do to avoid/identify these scams? Never buy current sets from third party sellers? That would hurt a lot of honest sellers out there. I just don't know anymore...
    Honestly, that is exactly how to avoid it. It's just not worth rolling the dice, if you value your relationship with Lego online.

I emailed him and told him I'd leave negative feedback and I want a refund. He says what I am doing is "feedback extortion" and is reporting ME to Paypal and ecrator.com.

Do I file a complaint with Paypal to get my money back? Do I call the guy that was billed?
    Actually, if you said you will leave negative feedback IF he doesn't refund your money, then that is extortion. Just cause someone did something wrong doesn't mean this allows you to use that as a threat. Look at the David Letterman scandal. The affair was wrong because of the workplace relationship of the two. But instead of trying follow the proper recourse and sue, they instead allegedly attempted to extort the money. Then the tables turned and now they're being prosecuted for grand larceny.

Lesson: Don't blackmail people even if they are criminals (or maybe especially if they are).

Has anyone reported this stuff to the police? Or some national organization like the FBI? The seller is committing a crime.
  • BTHodgemanBTHodgeman Member Posts: 622
    I am not a lawyer, but I'm not sure that it really is "feedback extortion." On eBay, the feedback process is designed to measure both the buyers' and sellers' satisfaction with the entire transaction.

If the customer truly will not be satisfied until refunded, then I don't agree it's extortion. You are providing the seller with your next move if you are not refunded. I see it no differently than saying, "I will contact my attorney if you don't refund my money," really.

Extortion to me would be saying, "I got my product, I'm satisfied, but I'm going to leave you a negative feedback unless you give me a full refund." In that case, you are inappropriately leveraging the feedback process to gain an advantage (extortion) over the other party.

Brent
    It's all about the threat.

"Neither extortion nor blackmail require a threat of a criminal act, such as violence, merely a threat used to elicit actions, money, or property from the object of the extortion. Such threats include the filing of reports (true or not) of criminal behavior to the police, revelation of damaging facts (such as pictures of the object of the extortion in a compromising position), etc." -- Wikipedia

If the seller states no returns, then by threatening negative feedback I'd say you're inappropriately leveraging the feedback process to gain an advantage over the other party.

And anyways, threatening someone with lawyers and lawsuits is so silly. If the other party is standing firm on their position after you explain how their position is illegal, then just sue them instead of advertising the fact you're planning to sue them. Most times when people threaten lawsuits they are bluffing, and the bluff is usually pretty transparent.

edited December 2011

And anyways, threatening someone with lawyers and lawsuits is so silly. If the other party is standing firm on their position after you explain how their position is illegal, then just sue them instead of advertising the fact you're planning to sue them. Most times when people threaten lawsuits they are bluffing, and the bluff is usually pretty transparent.

I agree that most of the time a threat of legal action is a bluff... but I'll leave it on them to call my bluff. :P

By the way, an additional part of the definition of extortion is: "Extortion (also called shakedown, outwresting, and exaction) is a criminal offence which occurs when a person unlawfully obtains either money, property or services from a person(s), entity, or institution, through coercion."

Telling a seller that you are going to leave negative feedback is well within your legal rights. You are doing nothing "unlawful," so I don't think the seller would have a leg to stand on if they push the extortion bit... I'd say they're probably bluffing (or an idiot) at that point. ;)

Brent

Telling a seller that you are going to leave negative feedback is well within your legal rights. You are doing nothing "unlawful," so I don't think the seller would have a leg to stand on if they push the extortion bit... I'd say they're probably bluffing (or an idiot) at that point. ;)
    The definition of feedback extortion and its prohibition is defined in the Ebay terms.
    http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-extortion.html

My point is that in general if you've been wronged do not try to get a remedy by making threats, but instead follow the proscribed resolution process. Making threats weakens your position. It can even reverse your standing so that despite being right about wronged first, you now end up on the losing end of the argument. Making threats or attempting to extort an outcome is not looked at kindly.
    Ah - good point, although I wasn't going with the "ebay" definition, because that's only in eBay's eyes. If you've truly been wronged and brought it to court, a court of law would use the legal definition, which requires there to be a criminal or fraudulent intent on the person "extorting" the other party.

Brent
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,234
    For me, this phenomenon has pretty much killed the chance I would buy current sets from 3rd parties. It also hasn't helped my confidence in eBay as a whole.
  • aplbomr79aplbomr79 Member Posts: 159
    Just be aware of any seller selling the MMV. On Ebay you can find numerous sellers that are posting the MMV for less than retail value - most are frauds. Save yourself the hassle and buy directly from [email protected] It will save you loads in headaches for a paltry $10.
  • aplbomr79aplbomr79 Member Posts: 159
    BTW, I only purchase retired sets and lots from Ebay. I am done buying 'current' sets from Ebay. For the piece of mind - I will by sets from [email protected] for $10 more for current sets than what is offered on Ebay.

My final advice: ONLY BUY RETIRED/LOTS from EBAY!
    He gave me a rufund. I did call Paypal and reported him and also emailed ecrator (the site he is on now). He's made a ton of money on there. Paypal was very good about everything and thanked me for informing them.
  • streekerstreeker FranceMember Posts: 299

My final advice: ONLY BUY RETIRED/LOTS from EBAY!
    Here, here. Thank you very much for your proactive approach, romdam. I'm glad that at least one more scammer has to hightail it out of town.

Lest we think that only big retailers like Lego.com, Walmart.com, Target.com, or Ebay are the victims and can therefore absorb the hit, look at the numerous small-time players like ibrickshop.com who have also been defrauded with purchases made with stolen credit cards. I've never bought from him, but it seems like he's got his own storefront selling retired and current sets at higher MSRP prices. He's gotten hit so many times with credit card fraud, he's even set up a list of all the people who defrauded him and made it public on his store's website to try to catch or warn other people of these criminals. He's been hit 26 times since November 2, with the latest just 3 days ago. In that time, the lowest charge that he has lost was $175--the lowest. If you want to lose your lunch in disgust, follow the link to his fraud page and look at the tally of losses he's piled since June of this year:

http://www.ibrickshop.com/catalog.php/iBrickshop/pg17318

Check out the guys feedback:

http://www.ecrater.com/view-feedback.php?storeid=222720

He's made a ton of money. I can't believe nothing can be done about this. I contacted ecrator to no response and Paypal a few days ago.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,234
    That's horrible. And not a one of them was concerned that it came direct from LEGO. I wonder if the majority of these card numbers are existing and legitimate versus new and illegitimate. All I know is that I'm checking my statements like crazy and an annual credit report might not be often enough.
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    Found this today

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-City-7939-Cargo-Train-839-PCS-NEW-/150721547374?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2317b44c6e#ht_500wt_1175

The seller's last 15 items were clothing in GBP, and now they're selling brand new Lego from El Paso, Texas, with a 24 hour listing. Is there anything we can do? It doesn't seem to fit any of the eBay reporting categories.

I can't know for sure what they're doing but that's definitely suspicious.
  • momof2boys99momof2boys99 Member Posts: 322
    Hi-
    I have not posted here before, but love reading these boards. I am an Ebay seller. I do sell quite a bit of Lego on Ebay. After reading this thread....I think I might lose a lot of customers. I do sell at great prices. I do sell recent sets. My kids have been collecting Lego for 12 years, so it is a huge part of our family. I do not make huge profits. I shop for good sales and make enough to keep the hobby going. Please understand that we are all not fraudulant. I have many loyal customers that shop with me outside of Ebay too.
    Recently, I sold several sets on a Friday and Saturday night. My kids got sick and I could not get all of the sets shipped quickly. So, to keep the customers happy, I lost money and drop shipped a few. My customer paid me $140 for an Imperial Flagship and it cost me $195 to get it to him from Amazon and shipped to him within 2 days.(paying an extra $55 in the process) Well, he was not happy. I think he thought I was a fraud. I explained that my kids were sick and I can send him the one from my house if he would like. He sent the box back to Amazon. I don't even know if he checked to see that my name was on the return lable. I called Amazon and they felt bad for me and gave me a $30 credit and it was not even their fault. After reading these boards I can see why he thought I might have been bad, but I was actually going out of my way to do something extra nice for him. I did send him my ship and it all ended well.
    So please...when you see a Fire Brigade at $124 or a Diagon Alley for $124 don't run the other way. I am an honest seller with over 1,000 feedback. My address always matches my Paypal info. Thanks....sarastoyshop
    Δ OK so I am curious, I looked at your past auctions. As an example you sold a Robie House for $119.99 and free shipping.. eBay/PayPal fees would be about $14 and even parcel post from you in IL to me in NY will be around $10 so how can you make any money if you are acquiring these sets legitimately? The best I have ever seen that set for was $99 on BF at B&N with the 50% off sale and you are already losing money before you add the tax at B&N.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,404
    @momof2boys99 - you might well be the exception, but I've been burned by this scam, cost me 4 Brick Friday orders online before it got cleaned up and I'm still out $180 from eBay that they haven't refunded me yet.

I just won't take the chance, no current sets on eBay, period. My ability to buy from Lego.com is more important.

BTW, I just don't think there is any way you can sell a IP for $140 on eBay and actually be making money, that set has never been that cheap that I know of. Where did you buy it and what did you pay for it?

Also, the seller who screwed me over had 865 positive feedback and an account dating to 2006, so your 1,000 count does not help your case.
    I did get it at a good price. Then I also use reward gift cards at Amazon, Toys R US, ect on top of the sales and coupons. We ship everything through my husbands work, so we do get a break on shipping costs. I do sometimes sell at a loss, just to move things out as I make a bigger profit on some other sets. I sometimes will sell an older set like Market Street and then I don't need such a big profit on the other sets. As I stated, it is more of a Hobby than anything.
    I purchased some at BrickCon and some at the Black Friday sale. I had a ton of VIP points to burn. I was burned on Ebay too last year by a Lego Gift Card seller. It cost me $300, but I still purchase on Ebay. I just wanted to point out that there are good and honest people out there. It is not always about making the biggest profit to everyone. I just like to sell and keep displaying Lego. Any more ???
    edited December 2011
    Not to be harsh, but I notice that you didn't answer my question.

Where did you buy it and how much did you pay? These Lego drop ship scams are a real problem, Lego can and does ban customers from buying from them over it, I was banned for 2 weeks until I jumped through a lot of hoops with their fraud dept, I'm still out money and it cost me 4 canceled orders over Brick Friday.

There are indeed good and honest people out there, but there is generally no reason to sell a current production set on eBay for less than it costs from [email protected]

If you look, the cheapest you can find 10221 on eBay is about the price of the set from [email protected] plus sales tax. There is a reason for this... If someone on eBay offers this set for $379, it is a scam 99% of the time.
    Black Friday I paid around $125.....but then I had around $400 in VIP points to use also. Does that help you out? I understand that Drop Ships are a real problem. My example above was just that I was actually doing a drop ship to get the item to the customer faster. Until reading this board I never would even think of Drop Shipping as a means of fraudulant activity. Yuck!! I really enjoy selling on Ebay. I hope threads such as these don't tarnish the market towards sellers like me.
    I don't know why but everything you say sounds hokey..
    What sounds hokey??? I will answer whatever you want.
    edited December 2011
    @momof2boys99

I browsed your past listings and the data doesn't even remotely reflect the "bad guy" patterns at all, other than your stuff selling for really cheaply sometimes. You use mostly real photos, which a dropshipper never does, because they obviously never have the actual items in-hand. And you ship from an Illinois address, which I do not know to be a Lego shipping warehouse. Almost all the dropshippers list Olive Branch or Southhaven, MS. Which is where my legitimate Lego orders originate from.

But things like a Death Star for $340 w/ free shipping, and then the eBay and Paypal fees? You'll have to forgive some of the above posters for defaulting towards the pessimistic side of thing regarding your tale. It would be hard to believe that you make any profit at all. And if you're not making profit, then this seems like an odd "hobby" choice for anyone to make.

With that said, I still somehow believe you.

EDIT: meant real photos, not stock photos
    I did pick up some Death Stars at 30% off from the Lego Store when my son went to an event. We have a bedroom full of boxed Lego. We are legal. I don't know what else to say. I just wanted to jump on this thread to point out that their are good sellers that don't make huge profits.
    I don't think she's the prototypical dropship scammer, but something is rotten in Denmark (pun intended).
    I did pick up some Death Stars at 30% off from the Lego Store when my son went to an event. We have a bedroom full of boxed Lego. We are legal. I don't know what else to say. I just wanted to jump on this thread to point out that their are good sellers that don't make huge profits.
    OK I won't bug you anymore and I'm sorry if you are in fact legit.. but again, if you got the DS for 30% off which is $280 + tax ($20 or so in IL?) and sold it for $340 that's $35 in fees, and then out of the $5 left you have to ship it, why bother selling it?
    edited December 2011
    Well let's give her the benefit of the doubt at least, yes? Just consider that your gut feeling is wrong, pcirone. If she's perfectly legit and just likes to sell Lego for fun, and wanted to hop on the forum to explain herself, only to run into blatant fraud callouts, that would be quite upsetting if it were you.

But nothing she says will convince me to buy current Lego sets from eBay again. Legitimate sellers or not, it's not worth the risk and hassle if you value your shopping account with [email protected] Sorry to you, momof2boys99. Please understand.
  • coolpixcoolpix Member Posts: 357
    eBay is such a bad idea for LEGO purchases, that even retired sets are dangerous, because often times they are not MISB at all, or they are missing parts, etc. In my case, I bought a 2006 Ferrari set that never arrived, so no more eBay for me. Neither old or new. I'll rather try my luck on Bricklink.
    Oh....I understand where everyone is coming from...I think. Pcirone....we might have to work on you. :O) I sell it because I usually end up with multiple sales from that one Ebay sale. As I stated, I do have several people that purchase from me off of Ebay now. I have a nice base of customers. I do avoid some of the fees that way.
  • DaddyWhaleDaddyWhale Member Posts: 130
    Sorry for piling on, momof2boys99. I would advise you not to use your VIP points to lower the cost to buyers. You are essentially giving them VIP points for free. It's not like you have to use the points or lose them. I would rather spend the points (which are essentially the same as money) on my family.
    @momof2,

The problem is I would have no way of knowing if you are legit when I order, yes once I get the package and compare the billing address is the same as the shipping address then I know it is ok, However I don't know that until I receive it and if it is fraudulent then it is already too late and I have to deal with Lego and shipping it back to them and clearing my name with their legal dept.

Yes having the actual picture of the item helps but that wouldn't be hard for a fraudulent seller to have, either steal the picture or buy one set and take a picture of it. I will NEVER buy another new current set on Ebay no matter what as I have been burned several times and it is a hassle.

If I was going to buy a current set on Ebay it wouldn't be one that is so discounted that I can figure out there is no way they can make money off of it which would send up a whole bunch of red flags and I would pass. Sorry if your sales are hurt by the many many fraudulent Lego sellers but that is why Ebay should be more proactive in getting bad sellers off of Ebay, but they don't!
    I understand. I think I have drop shipped about 10 times total. I have always had the item, it was just that someone was sick, ect. I don't usually drop ship...I was just giving an example in a case of where I had the item, but I needed to drop ship as we were sick. If you don't get the item that can be a hassle with a buyer. That was recent, but lesson learned. I used my name in the post, because I am honest. A person could call Lego, Amazon, ect and they would know me and how I shop. :O) As I stated...we have been collecting for 12 years...we have 2 Lego rooms of displays.(floor to ceiling organized bins) We are a Lego family. I have not made huge profits, but I know I can. I just don't do it that way. I don't wipe out shelves. I slowly build stock. I try to offer good deals to other people as I know how excited my kids get when we find them. I guess we are on the odd side these days. My son told me I should not have posted as he is a TFOL and they do not like sellers, but I wanted to put out there that some people are not all about the money. It is a fun hobby. We do make a profit on older sets or when I let auctions run. I might forget the buy-it-nows and let them run. I just have enjoyed reading what people do with Lego. So, I thought I would share.
    "A person could call Lego, Amazon, ect and they would know me and how I shop."

I believe you, but there is no way that I can call up Lego or Amazon and give them your name and they will then give me the information on you, that is not possible, they wouldn't do that ever. I wish you the best and thanks for sharing.
    @our bricklink sellers - is dropshipping items from [email protected] or Amazon at a loss the standard practice when one is under the weather?
  • mnbvcmnbvc Member Posts: 142
    Quite honestly, if you e-mailed me and said, "Hiya, my children are seriously ill and I won't be able to post it out until *specific date in a fortnight's time*, would that be acceptable to you?" then I'd be totally ok with that.

I'd much rather have that option (most people are scared of being scammed, but are reasonable people if they believe the sale is legit) than receive a dropship.
    No, it is not the standard practice at all. I would not think. Yet, at 100% feedback when you have sold 10 items and 3 people in the house have the flu and 2 have asthma, it was the quickest solution for my family. Business wise-stupid.....peace of mind for me-nice. I am NOT a regular drop shipper. I told you about a circumstance. I have emailed customers and told them when things come up. It just depends on the customer and situation. Ebay has become harder in general. Customers try to scam too with Lego. As I said, I am learning alot from this board. Now, when I purchased the gift cards from Ebay last year for Lego.com. I called Lego up and expressed that I was not sure about these cards. They looked them up and told me that they were purchased under fraud. So, that is why I am stating that by calling Lego or Amazon....they would know me and that any purchase was legit. That was just my experience. I will never do a drop ship again.
    The bigger question is, why would you sell current production sets on eBay in the first place?

The whole point is to hold them until they retire, then sell them for a profit.

Do what you will, I agree with the other posters, I will never buy current production off eBay again, not worth the headache.

Not trying to pile on to you, but do keep in mind that you have gotten this reception for a reason, it really is THAT bad... So if you want to swim in that market, you have to deal with it.
    LFT.
    ...I always enjoy your posts and am learning alot from you.
    On a side note to everyone else. I just wanted to share. It was not so much about drop shipping as that is not my main way of doing things. Does everyone just need to make a huge profit???? I understand the loss part, but I sold my vinylmation collection this past year and made $2000 on that. I enjoy passing savings on to people. I picked up 2 Maesrk containers and sold them to my customer at cost as he was looking for them. Yes, I could have put them on Ebay. I do those kind of things. My kids love having the store and collecting. I am sure I am in the minority and that is o.k. I like the recent sets and the old sets too. Please feel free to share any more thoughts. Thanks!
    Well I think if you are going to be buying and selling for any amount of time then yes a profit would be the way to go. I would see no sense in buying Death Stars for 280.00 on sale and end up with a 5.00 loss at the end of the Ebay transaction. That makes no sense long term or short term for that matter.

I would say if you have the choice between huge profits or small profits or a loss, I will choose the huge profit everytime.