Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    edited April 2015
    ^My first thought was: "Lego Golden Girls???" But then I thought the same thing about The Simpsons. I guess someone at TLG thinks these are the kinds of sets AFOLs are after. I've always considered my kids room as dangerous to walk through, but I'll probably end up with a Golden Girl part impaled in my foot the next time I go to the retirement home to visit my wife's grandmother.
    prevereVorpalRyumatticus_bricks
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    prevere said:
    Offer some Golden Girls with the Exo, and they'll move much faster. BTW, I've had about 10 people mention Lego Golden Girls set to me, from people who've NEVER mentioned anything Lego to me before. Must be making the social media circuit.
    In a search i saw three outlets talking about it, which I think is the sole reason it hit 10K in the first place. The problem with that is, how many will actually buy the set and not just think it would be cool as a set?
    Not many. Different audience, but similar type of set...Big Bang Theory's interest will be very, very interesting.
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,318
    BBT vs GGK, would buy BBT, as for GGK, not in a million years... Watched the Golden Girls when it was on the TV, as for Big Bang Theory, when the series ends, will be waiting for a box set of the Blu-Rays...
    xiahna
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Golden girls will never pass review. Surely

If the rumours I've heard about the number of exo suits produced are true then a) the remaining stock shouldnt be used as saying the exo suit is a failure and b) someone at lego made a crazy crazy decision.
    VorpalRyupharmjodTXLegoguyCCCdougts
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    Somehow I kind of get having BBT as a Lego set due to the main character's interest in Lego. On the other hand, I would have never thought of mixing the GG with Lego in a million years. Whoever put together the idea of GG and Lego should consider a job investigating unsolved crimes as they can certainly think outside the proverbial box.
  • goshe7goshe7 Columbus, Ohio, USAMember Posts: 515
    ^ Right after they submit an ideas project for Columbo or Murder She Wrote.  Gotta vote on that.  Or what was that one with the nun solving mysteries?  Another great Ideas project there.  Anything else that should be dredged up from the 80s?

Really, really hoping that GG does not make it into production.  BBT was bad enough.
    VorpalRyuthenos
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,219
    Kinda surprised there is no Dukes of Hazzard sets getting any kind of buzz. Seems like that General Lee and a cop car with be a hit. You could actually do a line of cars, Cop car, General Lee. Daisy's Jeep, Boss Hog's Caddy, etc etc
    TXLegoguyVorpalRyu
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    edited April 2015
    Cause nothing screams kids toy like the Stars and Bars :)

I loved the Dukes of Hazzard as a kid, but man, talk about a show that did not age well with later viewings. It is terrible (and not because of the confederate flag reference either).
    Pitfall69juggles7
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    I never thought I'd ever see a reason to share this nugget here, but now that you brought it up...

RIP James Best 4/6/2015

He's in hot pursuit in the sky!
    Pitfall69Farmer_Johnchuckp
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    I know there are some Civil War buffs in this forum, but as I remember, the Battle Flag is on the roof of the General Lee and shouldn't be confused with the flag representing The Confederate States of America. I guess one is considered "racist" (Confederate Flag) and the other(Battle Flag) not so much.

Lego would never make a Duke's of Hazzard set mainly because of this.

Why would anyone want a "Golden Girls" Lego set?
    pharmjod
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    Pitfall69 A handful of people would want a golden girls set for irony sake. Mostly, they would Tweet about it, maybe buy it as a gag gift, of to put on their desk in their cubes at work. But it's a set with zero interest for kids, or really anyone under 40, unless purely for irony. 
    madforLEGOpharmjodMODVLEX
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    Pitfall69 I mean at that point, we can have a What's Happening set, a Diff'rent Strokes set, an All in the Family set, a My So-Called Life set, etc. 
    VorpalRyu
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,923
    edited April 2015
    Pitfall69 said:
    I know there are some Civil War buffs in this forum, but as I remember, the Battle Flag is on the roof of the General Lee and shouldn't be confused with the flag representing The Confederate States of America. I guess one is considered "racist" (Confederate Flag) and the other(Battle Flag) not so much.

Lego would never make a Duke's of Hazzard set mainly because of this.

Why would anyone want a "Golden Girls" Lego set?
    The <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flags_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America#Confederate_flag">Confederate Flag</a> may not have originally had overtly racist meaning attached to it, but its use by white supremacist organizations like the Ku Klux Klan has poisoned its reputation to the point that it would probably alienate a lot of buyers and create a lot of controversy for the LEGO Group. The only difference it has from the Confederate Battle Flag is its dimensions (the battle flag is square, the Confederate Flag is rectangular), a difference most people wouldn't even think of as important.

Even as a Virginian who frequently sees it on bumper stickers I can't help but feel uneasy with it. It's kind of like how the swastika was a widely-used religious/spiritual symbol long before the Nazis, but their use of it made it practically a universal symbol of hate throughout the Western world — hence its omission from the LEGO Indiana Jones sets and video game.

The <a href="en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flags_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America#First national flag">Confederate first national flag</a> (the original "stars and bars") is fairly obscure by comparison, and is not as widely associated with white supremacist groups. This is partly because it was an unpopular design even when it was in use, since it's so similar to the U.S. flag that symbolized what the Confederacy was rebelling against.

My family is responsible for maintaining a historic cemetery in my hometown and we consciously choose to use the Confederate first national flag and NOT the Confederate battle flag when marking the graves of Confederate soldiers for Memorial Day. The neighboring Confederate Cemetery, on the other hand, uses the battle flag to mark the graves of soldiers, and annoyingly many of the people who set up the flags over there don't seem to know (or care) where their cemetery ends and ours begins.
    ^I read something about St. George's Cross being racist. I don't think Lego has ever used this in any of their castle sets.
    I got it! TLG needs to release The Brady Bunch Lego set. It's Big Bang Theory in reverse (TBB vs. BBT).
    bobabricksTheLoneTensorchuckp
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,434
    Well, now is the time for a Brady Bunch set. Love that Snickers commercial with Danny Trejo and Steve Buscemi.
    bobabricks
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,219
    Yknow LEGO could just make the General Lee without the flag on the roof...
    ^ I grew up watching the Duke boys & for me, it wouldn't be the General without the flag, it would be like not having the 01 on the doors... Its just another Dodge Charger.
    1265Aanchirxiahna
    I would love the set, but it ain't happening :(
    VorpalRyuFollowsClosely
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,911
    St Georges Cross is not racist. It was and is used by a far right party, but is slowly being reclaimed by the more general public. Flying a national flag is not an act of racism.
    TechnicNick
  • TechnicNickTechnicNick Berkshire, UKMember Posts: 279
    It'd be nice to see more of it outside of international football tournaments...
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,442
    edited April 2015
    ^^This is very much the case, while we aren't as patriotic about our flags in the UK as the US it is the national flag of England. There is that fine line between patriotism and racism that some people don't seem to get, but that happens in any country, and as such any national flag used for the wrong reason could be seen as a racist symbol.

With the confederate flag, even being from a different country and having a pretty low interest in history (with the exception of ancient history) I generally see any confederate icons as having racist connotations - there's probably a link to media portrayal there too.

In terms of Dukes of Hazard getting a Lego Ideas set, there was also a film a few years ago which I was under the impression bombed. Certainly it didn't do well in the UK, and I suspect that sort of thing shows how it might not hold up well over time. Personally I'd expect a Knight Rider set before Dukes of Hazard, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Re: Exo-Suit - I think it's a shame that this went the way it did, it's a nice set (not perfect but a good set) from a theme that AFOLs were crying out for, having stock that now potentially won't move because initial demand (that lets be honest we all know was artificially skyrocketed by the quick flip crowd) really screwed TLG's production plans, and the next time sets aren't available in the numbers we want, or there are restrictions on purchase numbers, all I'm going to think is the way the market treated the Exo-Suit is exactly why TLG have to do that.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,442
    ^Just to add to that I'm saying that those that caved and bought at 2x RRP + from the quick flippers are just as much at fault, I think we all need to accept that we can't have every Lego set ever made and ultimately those that couldn't get them on first run and decided not to buy inflated prices won out when they came back into stock.
    snowhitie
  • BrickaholicBrickaholic UKMember Posts: 342
      CCC said:
    St Georges Cross is not racist. It was and is used by a far right party, but is slowly being reclaimed by the more general public. Flying a national flag is not an act of racism.

Definitely not racist but it is a real symbol of hatred in the Muslim world which goes back to the Crusades.

I was once overseas in the Middle East and went to watch England play on TV in the World Cup at the "local bar" I used. I was wearing an England football shirt, all the locals were staring with real hatred, the guy I was with explained why, and it was all to do with the St. George Cross on my shirt and what it stands for to some people. Never had a problem before or after.

It may of been just that Bar but I wouldn't like to try it again.

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,911
    And isn't that part of the problem with the world. People that cannot move on after 1000 years, and will always bear historical grudges, intertwined with stories about why they must hate another culture / race / country.
    VorpalRyuPate5346JP3804pharmjodAdeelZubairSethro3
    CCC said:
    And isn't that part of the problem with the world. People that cannot move on after 1000 years, and will always bear historical grudges, intertwined with stories about why they must hate another culture / race / country.

Yep, but the symbol is the main hate 
    Anyone know when #10188 is planned to EOL :)
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101

Success of the Golden Girls just show you that the folks at the nursing home are getting pretty computer savvy!

And on that note, I hope Lego kicks that idea to the curb. Not because I detest the show but because I don’t like a trend where Lego Idea's devolves it custom mini-fig showcases. The creativity to submit the scene based on a current popular TV show (BBT) pales in comparison to "Birds", "USC AT-AT" and other spectacular submissions.

So to achieve Lego fame and fortune, I'm going to hit the work shop and start cranking out these sure-fire hits!

Cheer's bar
    MASH swamp or operating room
    Partridge Family bus
    Leave it to Beaver kitchen
    Stanford and Son's Living room
    Hill Street Blues Ready room
    Sesame Street street
    Welcome Back Kotter class room
    Friends apartment

Green Acres barn
    and many, many others........

dougtsMODVLEX
    edited April 2015
    :p (I'm also going to troll this thread so I can be the first poster on page 500!)
    Bump
  • mr.pigglesmr.piggles Snow FortMember Posts: 326
    To be fair, I would buy the shit out of Sesame Street sets. The buildings have a great look to them.

But on-task... how about that Death Star, whew.
    pharmjod
    edited April 2015
    @ecmo47, have to say, I don't mind the idea of a few TV show based projects, as long as they're well thought out & Lego Ideas doesn't devolve into TV Show vignette after TV Show vignette. I feel the same way about the scientific vignettes that seem to be propagating since RI's release. At least many of these ideas don't look as half-baked as some of the submissions I've come across, some of which seem to be a grab to get CMFs or retired sets they missed out on...

As for first on page 500... May the best poster win... :wink: 
    xiahna
    Hey, cool it with the profanity! This is a family thread!

and really, what's there to discuss about DS? It's been frequently opined on in the last 497 pages.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,145
    What's with all this discussion about racism and what happened 1,000 years ago?

The British aren't still fussing over the tea they lost 300 years ago and look! The best of friends today are the U.S. and UK.

I kid I kid. Let's get back to LEGO.
    mr.pigglespharmjodMordoor
  • mr.pigglesmr.piggles Snow FortMember Posts: 326
    edited April 2015
    Sorry. :( I should know better. I'd edit, but I can't. (And not to be rude, but I teach middle school kids, and granted they have severe behavioral and psychological issues, but they say far worse on a daily basis-- even the kindergarteners say things that would make a granny blush, I suppose, and all of the members of this forum are required to be 16+ so I didn't think it'd be a huge issue.)

Honestly, discussing DS seems a lot better than discussing everything else that doesn't remotely pertain to the topic at hand, I guess I get ya'lls rage over GG (though all of my friends want 2, and because I love vignettes, I'd love one), but it's not even released, nevermind discontinuing. It was an attempt to get things back on track.
    ecmo47
  • vaspvasp USAMember Posts: 73
    I'll throw you a bone on the DS.....It's the one set whose longevity is NOT be supported be re-sellers stocking up.

Taxi, parking garage
    A-team, van
    Cosby show living room....(err, maybe not now)
    Happy Days, diner
    Andy Griffith, jail
    Rsa33
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,354
    I think the Exo-Suit vs. Mars Rover / Research Institute is a nice example of how difficult it is to anticipate demand, and also that Lego is completely focused on moving new product and could care less about the secondary market.

I am not at all convinced that Lego did a larger second run or a third run of the Exo-Suit. The demand appears to have been completely front-loaded and now we see boxes upon boxes of unsold product. I'd assume that the set exceeded the anticipated sales - despite the probably protracted process to move the rest of the stock in anticipation of the Dr. Who and next round of Ideas sets.

I'd love to sit in on one of those sales meetings to see exactly what philosophy TLG uses when it comes to possibly underproducing a set or overproducing one with expecting to clearance or discount at the EOL.

I'm sure the legs on the DS are a result of steady sales, rather than the cycle of resellers stocking up on product. I don't recall there being a run on DS when it was first released.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    I got it! TLG needs to release The Brady Bunch Lego set. It's Big Bang Theory in reverse (TBB vs. BBT).
    Mind blown.
    edited April 2015
    Maybe the modular bank could sponsored by BB&T?

That way, your BBT and TBB minifigs could be at the BB&T.

And more impotantly, we can start a BBT v TBB v BB&T thread.

BRB, time for some BBQ.
    Bumblepants
    I would have to buy a M*A*S*H set, and cheers. The rest I could happily leave.
    VorpalRyu
  • ericbericb Member Posts: 92

Shib said:
    Re: Exo-Suit - I think it's a shame that this went the way it did, it's a nice set (not perfect but a good set) from a theme that AFOLs were crying out for, having stock that now potentially won't move because initial demand (that lets be honest we all know was artificially skyrocketed by the quick flip crowd) really screwed TLG's production plans, and the next time sets aren't available in the numbers we want, or there are restrictions on purchase numbers, all I'm going to think is the way the market treated the Exo-Suit is exactly why TLG have to do that.
    TLG's probably not overly concerned that Exo Suits are still in stock.  Their production of a set will never match demand.  They'll either produce too little or too much.  Regardless, TLG will be fine, and everyone else will survive, too.
    They won't be overly concerned, but concerned enough to make a point of it retiring, twice and having it on offer for axwhile too.
    ecmo47 said:
    I'll throw you a bone on the DS.....It's the one set whose longevity is NOT be supported be re-sellers stocking up.

Is that right, good to know. Thanks

edited April 2015
    ecmo47 said:

Success of the Golden Girls just show you that the folks at the nursing home are getting pretty computer savvy!

And on that note, I hope Lego kicks that idea to the curb. Not because I detest the show but because I don’t like a trend where Lego Idea's devolves it custom mini-fig showcases. The creativity to submit the scene based on a current popular TV show (BBT) pales in comparison to "Birds", "USC AT-AT" and other spectacular submissions.

So to achieve Lego fame and fortune, I'm going to hit the work shop and start cranking out these sure-fire hits!

Cheer's bar
    MASH swamp or operating room
    Partridge Family bus
    Leave it to Beaver kitchen
    Stanford and Son's Living room
    Hill Street Blues Ready room
    Sesame Street street
    Welcome Back Kotter class room
    Friends apartment

Green Acres barn
    and many, many others........

I've got it...how about doing The Simpsons sets! Nah...TLG will never go for that. The Simpsons are way too far off center for Lego. Wait a second... :wink:

I have absolutely no use for The Simpsons, but as they say: One man's trash is another man's treasure. If The Simpsons sets are possible, then any and every set listed above is as well...but only if someone very high up in TLG has a personal interest as they apparently do with The Simpsons. I doubt anyone in TLG has ever heard of Golden Girls, Cheer's, etc., so they're DOA.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    BTTF's success paves the way for GB to do well in the aftermarket (albeit limited runs of 2 years or under). I think we will see more of the A-list shows that also fit the profile of AFOLs.
    juggles7
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,434
    I think they would be on to something with more TV show vignettes. You can build a front section that looks like a TV or the rest of the TV studio with cameras, audience, etc. Sure, I'd get a Golden Girls set. Estelle Getty was hilarious in that show. And Betty White was a goof. Not a show I watched on a regular basis but I didn't have a problem putting it on in the background if I was doing something else.
    mr.piggles
    One also has to remember that they dispatched with the Firefly set - even though there was a built-in low-production market.

I think BBT is on the edge of where Lego would actually produce a set. I would assume a set would need to be truly iconic and spanning multiple markets and consumers.

Same reason why the Dr. Who set was quickly approved. It's been around for multiple decades and also happens to be popular on both sides of the Atlantic.
  • vitreolumvitreolum RomaniaMember Posts: 1,406
    Any clues whether the electro poly will be released sometime in the future or was it cancelled? From a google search it was at some point on TRU to be released but it's no longer there.

I'm quite tempted to get one but at the same time it's too damn expensive, really stuck here.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,145
    The Exo Suit is clearly "exceeding" all expectations at this point. What's the view on this set once it does EOL? Back in the day this was a sure winner. Today? Not so sure...