Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

SELLING my NISB Taj Mahal 10189 $2400USD+Free Shipping to USA/Canada. Price is NEGOTIABLE

purdy44purdy44 Member Posts: 21
Hey guys,

I'm selling my NISB Lego Taj Mahal 10189! I purchased it in late August, 2010 at the Lego Store in Mall of America. I had every intention of building the set, but life happened so next thing you know a few years went by with it unopened. In late 2012, I was still wanting to build it but was also trying to move to a different city so I figured that I would wait until I got a new place before opening it. Long story short, I didn't end up moving and the Taj remained sealed in my basement ever since. It is now 2015 and I am a university student, just finishing up my first year of a five year degree. As much as I have always wanted to build this set, school is expensive and am finding myself in need of a car. So I must let my set go. 

What I have is a factory sealed Lego Taj Mahal 10189. Silly me threw out the shipping box in 2012, but the actual box itself is as close to mint as you will find. There are very minor scuffs on the corners, but the seals are very much intact, and the thing looks as new as a set sitting on a shelf at a store.

For price, I am looking at $2400USD. That price includes shipping to anywhere in the Continental United States as well as Canada (where I live). I will still gladly ship to Europe, Australia, and parts of Asia, however I will have to get a shipping quote for you and will have to work something out in regards to shipping fee.

As you will probably notice, I am a new member to this forum. You also won't find me on eBay, either. Why? Because the Taj Mahal is the only set I have for sale. There is nothing else in my house Lego related that is worth anything. I have never sold anything on eBay before, and as a new seller they limit me to a maximum of $1000CAD worth of sold goods a month. So I actually can't list my Taj on eBay because it's value is too high for a new seller.

So since I don't have a reputation as a seller, I have to earn your trust. How will I do that? By being as open and honest as I can. I will send as many pictures as you like, and will answer any and all concerns and questions to the best of my knowledge. Also, I am offering to cover the shipping within the US and Canada as a show of good faith, as well as because it might take a day or two longer than other transactions simply because I've never shipped anything of this size or value before. If you are not in North America, I will get you a quote for your specific address and we can definitely work out a deal on the shipping so you're not paying an exorbitant amount just to get the set to you. Another thing I will do to earn your trust and your business is offering a return/refund policy. If for whatever reason you decide that you no longer want this set within 2 days of receiving it, you can ship it back to me (at your expense), and I will refund you your money, minus any transaction fees. This set is an amazing piece to add to any enthusiast's collection, and once it is in your hands, I really don't think you're going to want to get rid of it.

The price is negotiable, but not by much. For $2400USD, you will get free shipping to anywhere in North America. You will also get a discount on shipping to Europe, Australia, and parts of Asia. If the offer is much lower than that, be prepared to pay full price for shipping.

Payments accepted are: PayPal, Moneygram, and Western Union.

The set will not be shipped until funds are in my account.

As soon as funds are received, I will prepare the set for shipping and take it to the nearest Canada Post office. From personal experience as an avid online consumer, as well as having worked as a customs broker for a year, Canada Post (which works with USPS once it crosses into the States) is the cheapest method of shipping. UPS and FedEx may show a cheaper option on their websites, however they will gouge you with brokerage/customs fees.

I will be communicating with the buyer every step of the way. If you have Twitter or Snapchat, I will actually update you via tweets and/or snaps through the entire process. You will see me collect funds, go to the post office, and ship the set, all in real time. I want the buyer to know that they are getting a pleasant, timely, and transparent deal. 

Feel free to post on this thread with any comments, questions, concerns, etc... For actual offers, please message me directly, that way it ensures privacy.

Thank you so much for reading this and showing interest in my wonderful set. I will do whatever I can to earn your trust and your business. It's going to be sad seeing my Taj go, but I'm confident it will make it into good hands.

Best regards,
purdy44 
bobabricksMorkMan

Comments

• purdy44purdy44 Member Posts: 21
    Here are photos of my set. Had to post them separately because the photos were on a different device.
    snowhitiebobabricks
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 805
    I think what might cause hesitation among most people is that you might not ship the set after getting the money. This problem is solved when a seller has sold things to lots of people before, so they know that the seller will honor his end of the bargain. Regardless of all the steps you've mentioned before, it is impossible for any of us to tell if you'll actually ship the set once the funds are in your account, unless we know you personally. Hence the dilemma. It's not your fault really; it's society in general that has created a mindset that people are lying unless proven otherwise.
    purdy44
    Hey @Jern92 ,
    You prove some very good points. I think every one of us has been burned by an online transaction by now. I've been scammed 3 times (was very young and stupid; now slightly older and slightly less stupid).
    I'm in quite the pickle. I can't really sell my socks and underwear online to get my seller rating boosted. 
    I'm not sure who runs this website or who the moderators are, but what if someone with a very high/good reputation in this community were to act as like a mediator? Maybe I could ship the set to an administrator on this site and they could hold it for me? Then the set is in possession of a more reliable/well known person who people in the community have dealt with numerous times?
    If someone could put me in touch with the person or people who run this site, that would be greatly appreciated. I am willing to ship my set to them and have them keep it for me until a buyer is found.
    Does anyone have any other ideas about this? I totally get the hesitancy and reluctance to give a few thousand dollars to a stranger with no reputation in these parts. I'm open to any and all ideas, suggestions, advice
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,642
    Moneygram, and Western Union are the sketchy type of payment as they do not offer and type of protection, to be legit be accept paypal only.

Also you might want to use an escrow service or a person of trust on this forum (Buyer send money to escrow, Seller send item, Happy buyer happy tell escrow to send money to seller).
    Thanks @ColoradoBricks ! I'm not sure how to edit my listing/initial post. But I will only accept PayPal going forward. As for person of trust, I am very much in search of that. The person of trust will probably have to store and sell the item for me because having my name attached to the item is poison to any potential buyer because of my lack of reputation. So naturally, said person will command a fee for all their hard work. I'm all for paying someone to help me out, but as a student my funds are limited. Another wrinkle is that I live in Canada, and chances are good a buyer won't come from Up North. So I'm guaranteed to be charged for duty when shipping the item, as well as a service fee for currency conversion on the funds. If someone were to put the set up for auction on eBay, you're going to add more fees: a seller's fee from eBay, and a fee from PayPal.
    So by the time the dust settles, the amount of fees that are going to come out of this sale are going to hurt quite a bit, and that's not including the compensation to the Person of Trust.

So basically, I'm trying to find a way to sell it through a different avenue than eBay, so I can avoid as many fees as possible. I was hoping to find a buyer through a site like this one. I am still looking to find someone with a good reputation who could help me out. I get that time is money, and there would be a decent amount of work involved on their part, but unfortunately I could only pay between $100-150USD.

• natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 545
    Another option could be selling through Bricklink. Fees are quite a bit lower than Ebay. ..and there are protections through Bricklink and Paypal for buyer and seller. I don't know that you're going to find someone here willing to do what you want.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,394
    I'd suggest finding a buyer first and then making escrow arrangements.
    @samiam391 Has volunteered to be my Person of Trust/Escrow. More info to come shortly
    PhoneboothGoldchains
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    edited April 2015

As long as payment is via PayPal, the buyer will be protected. I've had two situations where I have sent money to a seller (both off Craigslist) and never received the product. When the seller (read: scammer) doesn’t respond to PayPal’s requests for additional information (like proof of shipping) PayPal will refund your money. If I was in the market for a Taj, I'd have no problem with pursuing this transaction.

One thing I would look up though is if there is a limit to PayPal’s sellers protection program.

One other thing that would give me confidence of the validity of this seller is that they have taken the time to write a long, detailed and ERROR-FREE post with real pictures. Most scammers are not that thorough.

Good luck with school and the hopeful sale!

SirKevbagspurdy44Renegade007cjhGoldchains
  • MrTjipsMrTjips Member Posts: 32
    Maybe you should ask not so much...

• MrTjipsMrTjips Member Posts: 32
    Dawn said:

If you don't want the item and don't like the price, just move on.

So, it's not allowed to give my opinion here? Who are you anyway?
  • BACbrixBACbrix AmericaMember Posts: 655
    I agree. Would you want someone to blatantly express how they feel about something you treasure and know is worth a good amount? Next time your advice should just be kept to yourself, especially when the price for it is really fair and he seems he would do anything to satisfy the customer. @MrTjips
    Dawn
  • SolariousSolarious Kalamazoo, MI, USAMember Posts: 317
    I'm not even sure that could have been considered advice
    Dawn
  • BACbrixBACbrix AmericaMember Posts: 655
    Yeah... just softening the harshness but it was definitely not advice.
    Dawn
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=371303233428&alt=web

Hey guys, OP here. Link above is an eBay auction that's ending in 15 minutes. The set in the auction is in MUCH poorer shape than mine and as of this posting, the highest bid is at $2600USD. Just some food for thought in regards to my listing price.
    That auction ended with a winning bid of $2600USD. The set in the auction had a crumpled corner, a tear in the box, and a failing seal sticker. Also, shipping option was "request a quote", so it may or may not have been free shipping.
    So now that the dust has settled above me (big thanks to the very supportive members on here for being so encouraging and helpful), I would like to clarify/update my listing:

-Price is $2400USD for a sealed set that is in immaculate condition given that it is not in the original shipping box.

-Price is negotiable, but will have an effect on shipping charges. For $2400USD I am offering free shipping to USA and Canada, and a discount on shipping to Europe. Keep in mind that a set in considerably poorer condition sold on eBay 15 minutes ago for $2600 and did not include free shipping (or at least did not advertise it)

-PayPal is the ONLY method of payment I will be accepting.

-Because of my lack of selling experience and reputation, I have enlisted the help of @samiam391. Sam is one of the most reputable, respected, and trusted member on this site. With his countless positive experiences as a seller, Sam is my Person of Trust/Escrow. What that means is if needed, he can act as a secure holding of funds. Money can be sent to him first instead of me if the buyer so chooses. What this does is it adds another layer of security. @samiam391 will hold the funds until the buyer receives the set. Once they have received the set and are satisfied, Sam will then transfer the funds to the seller (me). This prevents a seller from running away with the cash without the buyer receiving the product.

-Once again, thank you for even just taking the time to look at my listing. I love this set, I really really do. There's been numerous times throughout the years where I just about built it. I did not purchase the Taj with the idea of it being a financial investment. I bought it because I've loved Lego since as long as I can remember, and was excited to own it and show it off to anyone who would look. Unfortunately life happens sometimes and as a university student in desperate need of a vehicle, my Taj is now of more value to me if it is in someone else's hands.

Feel free to message me with any offers or questions/concerns. Thanks, and have a good one!

Best regards,
    Nick Purdy

GO JETS GO
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 545
    Being a Wild fan...I take back my advice :D j/k of course, I hope you are able to sell on here, good luck!
    purdy44
    2.3k liked comments can't be wrong!
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,284
    edited April 2015
    Legoboy said:
    purdy44 said:

-Because of my lack of selling experience and reputation, I have enlisted the help of @samiam391. Sam is one of the most reputable, respected, and trusted member on this site.
    Hey?  Did he tell you that?
    @Legoboy- I paid him $25. Sorry, he should have used quotes around it, since they were your words after all. It's never right to plagiarize. 

purdy44 said:
    Uh-oh, here comes @Pitfall69 ...
    purdy44SumoLegoPitfall69bobabricksGoldchains
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,919
    Good luck with this sale, think it is very sensible of you to sell this instead of loading yourself up with extra student loans. Lucky you never broke the seals! Well done to samiam to help you out, I'll keep my fingers crossed you find a buyer now!
    purdy44dougts
    Thank you for the good vibes, @snowhitie !
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,401
    samiam391 said:
    Legoboy said:
    purdy44 said:

-Because of my lack of selling experience and reputation, I have enlisted the help of @samiam391. Sam is one of the most reputable, respected, and trusted member on this site.
    Hey?  Did he tell you that?
    @Legoboy- I paid him $25. Sorry, he should have used quotes around it, since they were your words after all. It's never right to plagiarize. 

purdy44 said:
    Uh-oh, here comes @Pitfall69 ...
    I just threw up in my mouth a little. 
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,839
    Does the set include a drawing of the Winnipeg Jets logo? ;)

I live in Vancouver but my family is from Manitoba so I'm always tied between the Jets and Canucks. ;)
    purdy44

I live in Vancouver but my family is from Manitoba so I'm always tied between the Jets and Canucks. ;)
    For the right price, I'll draw whatever you want
    bobabricks
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,284
    purdy44 said:

For the right price, I'll draw whatever you want
    Draw me a valid $2,400 bill so I can buy this set ;)
    purdy44bobabricksJern92SumoLego
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 348
    Are free therapy sessions included in the $2400 price if somebody does buy it and cut the seals?
    Are free therapy sessions included in the $2400 price if somebody does buy it and cut the seals?
    If someone did that they would need an exorcism, never mind therapy!
    The value of this set keeps rising, and until LEGO releases a set that contains 6000+ pieces, I don't see the trend changing any time soon.
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,839
    purdy44 said:
    The value of this set keeps rising, and until LEGO releases a set that contains 6000+ pieces, I don't see the trend changing any time soon.
    Yes, I feel the one main drive for this set is that it is the largest Lego set that Lego has ever released. I'm waiting for the first set to surpass 10,000 pieces. ;)
    purdy44
  • PhoneboothPhonebooth USMember Posts: 1,430
    purdy44 said:

I think I just heard the Lego 'bubble' quivering at that speculation...
    purdy44
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,919
    Just curious purdy did you manage to sell your set? Hope the studies are going well!
    Pitfall69
    Hey everybody. School did not go very well to be perfectly frank. I sort of set myself up for failure and am now back to the drawing board. Just wanted to let everybody know that I'm still alive and still in possession of my Taj. Hope all of you have been doing well. 

kiki180703