Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What do you feel will be on sale on Dec. 26th, 2011?

Comments

• OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    and we all know what happens with City Target exclusives...

Could anyone enlighten me on this comment? I'm not a City collector.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,245
    ^ They tend to reach end of life quickly and without much warning.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    @Yellowcastle - so buy more Bank and Money Transfer then? :)
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,245
    ^ I really do love that set so I am tempted to grab another...or two...
    Ok, ok, fine... They are having that 50% deal, I just ordered 2 more, you made me! :)
  • coolpixcoolpix Member Posts: 357
    The post office and bakery will be on sale as holiday items, but, like last year, probably 30% off.
    30% off on these sets are good enough for me to grab at least one on each during the sale. Now, my local store has at least 50 of the Toy Shop on the floor alone, not counting the back room, so if that one goes to 50% off, I'll get at least 5.

• llanowarsoldierllanowarsoldier Ohio USAMember Posts: 357
    My picks to get on the 26th(if in store and/or on sale) will be:

Obi-Wans Starfighter(could be a sleeper set and do really well for when more come out of their dark ages)
    Emerald Night
    Imperial Flagship
    Winter Toy Shop
    Fire Brigade(info on this set is all over the board if or not it is being retired)
  • MrBerreMrBerre Member Posts: 246
    FYI: 10199 is already 30+% discounted at Amazon FR: http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B002ACUC0O/
    We are getting close to the 26th, so I decided to bump the thread a bit... after everything I've read here the past few weeks, here's my partial list of things I think are going to be EOL and will be on sale on the 26th:

Winter Toy Shop - Will retire!
    Winter Bakery (although I don't think this will retire)
    Winter Port Office (although I don't think this will retire)

SW Battle of Endor
    SW Luke's Landspeeder
    SW Tantive IV
    SW Republic Dropship with AT-OT Walker
    SW Rebel Trooper Battle Pack
    SW Snowtrooper Battle Pack
    SW Freeco Speeder
    SW Arc-170 Starfighter
    SW Hoth Wampa Cave
    SW Republic Swamp Speeder
    SW Slave I
    SW Plo Koon's Jedi Starfighter
    SW AT-AT Walker
    SW Obiwan Jedi Starfighter

Pirates! Imperial Frigate

City Repair Truck
    City Tank Truck
    City Camper
    City Corner
    City Small Car
    City Seaplane
    City Passenger Plane
    City Airport
    City LEGO Yellow Truck
    City Off Road Fire Truck
    City Yellow Cargo Train
    City Public Transportation
    (I Think all Police stuff, and most of the Fire Fighters will stay for a few more months)

Creator Green Street Speedster
    Creator Rotor Rescue
    Creator Minidumper
    Creator Mincopter
    Creator Apple Tree House
    Creator Off-Road Power
    Creator Sonic Boom

Castle Medieval Market Village (will go on sale, but may stay for a few more months)
    Kingdoms King's Castle (my store does not have it anymore)
    Kingdoms Prison Tower Rescue

Harry Potter - Everything, including Diagon Alley!
    PoTC - I am not sure about this one. They may keep it until LOTR is about to come out.
    Atlantis - Everything!
    Faraoh's Quest - Everything!

No, I don't think Fire Brigade will be EOL now. Specially because of the 39R1 issue, and I don't believe it will be on sale. Now, some of those above may already be sold out online, but my local store has all of them. Please note that I am also not mentioning Emerald Night, since this one is sold out both in B&M stores and S&H.

Also note that I am not mentioning any of the Magnets and smaller things, like the seasonal stuff, because I think all or that will be between 50% to 75% off.

And finally I am not into Ninjago or Technic stuff, so i don't have an opinion on these.

It looks like it's too much, but I really don't think so. They need room for the new Friends and Super Heroes sets, not to mention that they also need to have the new City sets displayed a bit better.

What do you think?
  • cbaker1974cbaker1974 Member Posts: 150
    I think the Wave 2 Harry Potter, large Hogwarts and Diagon Alley will probably last until the summer...they've been out less than a year.
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    Very impressive list @coolpix and I think you cover a lot of bases here. This is the list I was hoping to see, including the not-so-popular sets like Freeco Speeder.

• starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,329
    I think the Grand Emporium will be on that list as well. Need to make room for the new modular.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,422
    @coolpix: Nice list, but I think there will not be that much on sale, even if it is 'sold out' online...
    I think The Fire Brigade, if it is EOL, will be gone before the sale can begin.. then again it appears still available only a few days before Christmas, so who knows.
    @starfire2:
    FB will be gone before the Grand Emporium.
    Grand Emporium and Pet Shop will be out together, then the Town Hall will come out, then at the end of next year Grand Emporium will be EOL.. at least that is how it has worked in the past and I do not think it will change..

The difference, like Coolpix said, is the FB needed more sets to be completed due to the 39R1 mess
    @madforlegos I have a feeling that FB will not be sold out in stores before the 26th, and it will not be discounted, even though it's evident this set has reach it's EOL. Online is a different thing. Now my question is: I've bought a Fire Brigade on my local store for regular price 2 weeks ago. Can I return it for a full refund, with the receipt on the 26th and buy two FBs, if they are discounted at 50%? That would be awesome.
    I think LEGO store policy is 30 days.. but that is just a guess. I think there is another thread discussing that very topic.
    Lego store policy is 90 days, however they will take back any new, current production set, still sealed, for store credit.
    So, I can return it, with receipt, for a full refund. I'll keep it in the car on the 26th. If FB is on sale, I'll turn one set into 2.
    Yes, you sure can... :)
    @Brickupdate thanks! My toughts were also based on what I saw was on sale last year when analyzing your pictures of LEGO stores on DEC 26th last year. Those prove that some sets can be discounted on the 26th, but remain on the line, like the SW Battle Packs.

Also, someone gave the tip of the catalog on another thread, and looking at the catalogs from October till now, it's possible to figure out what will stay, and what may go.
    I received confirmation today that there will be a sale on Dec 26th. I hadn't heard that from any official sources yet until today!
    Interesting... in fact we haven't heard anything official until now. Even though it's common sense that a sale is going to take place, it's nice to have actual official confirmation!
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    edited December 2011
    ^ I thought the sale was mentioned in the January store calendar. My store is out of the calendars so I haven't seen one yet.
    Also, Ice at ToysNBricks has the sale info from TLG. He had it in advance for the Black Friday sale as well. He can't release it yet however. I'm assuming they send the info to sites like TnB and FBTB so that they can advertise on the day of the sale. Perhaps Huw gets the info for the UK sales?
    Dunno if this is in the calendar or not, but it appears there is a free Kendo Cole booster pack with $75+ purchases starting on the 26th.
    @sidersdd I have the calendar right here, and it does not say anything about a sale. The dates from 26 to 31st are all a big blue banner with information about the new sets coming in January. Also no info on the free item with $75+ purchases. Only the PAB box until the 24th. My bet is that they don't want people to wait until the 26th to shop. They want the money now!
    @sidersdd - the January calendar was pretty blah. They do mention the sale over the first week of January but it is not tethered to a specific day. And the giveaway is indeed a Ninjago pack but I stopped reading after Ninjag... :o)
    edited December 2011
    Actually - it's Kendo Jay (not Cole).

And it must be the UK calendar I'm thinking of, which mentions the Series 6 Figs and Kingdom's Joust sets being available Dec. 26, along with a sale banner across Dec. 26 thru Jan. 1 on the calendar. I need to find images of the calendars.
    @coolpix - Our store allowed me to "rebuy" the UCS Falcon when it dropped to $375. The only catch was that the one crotchety guy there made me lug it all the way back to the store instead of just working off the receipt.
    No mention of S6 in the US version but it does have a small blurb about the minimods.
    @coolpix - Our store allowed me to "rebuy" the UCS Falcon when it dropped to $375. The only catch was that the one crotchety guy there made me lug it all the way back to the store instead of just working off the receipt.
    Some stores have a window in which you can request a receipt adjustment. Target is 14 days. TRU, 7. During this period, if they lower the price of the item, or put it on a temporary sale, you can bring the receipt back to the store for a refund on the difference. If it's past the window, you must bring the item to the store to adjust the receipt, in which case, you are essentially returning it and buying it back for the lower price, but unfortunately they can't just do it on the receipt, the item must be present, and sealed, that's why they made you do that :-)

I don't know what's LEGO Store's window for price readjustment, but it's probably 2 weeks or less...

^ Valid points. But I choose to believe it was all on that crotchety guy. :o)
    Sometimes, retail employees may be too stubborn or stick too much to the store's policies and rules... which is good at some extent to the company, but bad for us and for the company image somehow.

A quick story: When I was store manager at GameStop, back in 2007/2008 XBox 360 had a lot of problems with the "Red Ring of Death". Systems would stop working without warning, and every week I had customers coming back to the store trying to return the open box systems. The company's policy was to not get back any open box systems. If they were defective, the customer should file their complaints with Micro$oft or whoever it was... and I was enforcing that rule, and never got any systems back. Once a not-so-pleased customer called corporate to complain about me not taking his system back or exchanging for a working one, just because he had bought it 9 months ago and it stopped working. I never took it back, but I had my district manager and my regional manager calling me to reprimand me for not having "good customer service skills". I look back today and laugh about this. If I was working there today still, I'd be taking the kitchen sink back and having all my customers happy as a kid on Xmas morning, so lenient I'd be.
    edited December 2011
    ^--- Funny on how the rules apply until one goof raises a stink....
    I see this all the time in any business..
    They really need to take the "Customer is always right" mantra and chuck it out the window, or add an addendum to it.
    When the customer makes outrageous demands, they are not right, they are illogical, and that is it.
    It is one thing if they had just gotten the item and something is wrong with it, OK fine I can see that, but saying that you should help someone 9 months later, especially when the policy specifically is to not do so, is just illogical.

Cause the funny thing is, if you helped them on your own initiative you probably would have been reprimanded for "giving the store away"... Crazy...
    I have found exceptions to a process just means confusion and chaos, either immediately or 'down the road', so to speak..
    Sorry for going off topic like that but I see these kinds of stories a lot lately.
    Something I learned long ago...

"The customer may not always be right, but they are always the customer."

You are in business to attract customers, sometimes you have to do whatever that takes, even if it is illogical.
    Here's a stupid question.... Christmas falls on Sunday this year but the U.S. recognizes the Federal holiday on Monday. So, are the store sales Monday or Tuesday? And should we start checking [email protected] on Saturday or Sunday?
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    The post office and bakery will be on sale as holiday items, but, like last year, probably 30% off.
    If they are 30% off, then I'm in for a couple of each (maybe more).
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    Here's a stupid question.... Christmas falls on Sunday this year but the U.S. recognizes the Federal holiday on Monday. So, are the store sales Monday or Tuesday? And should we start checking [email protected] on Saturday or Sunday?
    There are only "X" dollars out there (unless you're the Fed and get to print as many as you want). Any store that wants to get first dibs on those dollars will be open bright and early on Monday morning. A federal holiday only means government jobs will be closed.

As for [email protected], I plan to start checking on Saturday evening.
    I think we need to start checking [email protected] earlier than that!
    According to Ice at ToysNBricks, the sale officially starts 9pm PST December 25th / 0:00am EST December 26. His take on it is that the sale won't be that great - not better than Black Friday.
    I'm already stalking LEGO Shop at Home. Last year they surprised everyone.
  • DatoDato Member Posts: 111
    I didn't see SW Turbo Tank being mentioned as retiring. It's been out for more than two years, and I have never seen one in either TRU or B&N in the last three months. I may be wrong, but that looks like a precursor to retirement to me. If it's ever on sale on the 26th, I will definitely try to grab one of them.
    ^ yeah, I'm thinking the same. It's on my list to get now. I bought an AT-OT, and now need a tank to go with it. I may pull the trigger on TRU/FAO tonight.
    I'm already stalking LEGO Shop at Home. Last year they surprised everyone.
    Same here.. My Question is I hope they have admins in the office for when the site tries to crash from all the people that will be hammering it throughout the day...lol
    This is a new site, and it has not proven it's stability yet. I personally find this site worse than the previous one. I loved the older site: Click on the theme, click on the subtheme, done! This one is too complicated... and I am a web designer! Lol!

I'll start checking tonight every hour. Not that I am going to buy anything online, but I want to see what items will be on sale, as an indication on what to come on the stores monday morning.

@Yellowcastle I was told by managers of both stores near me that they are opening 9:00 am on Monday, and that's when their sales starts.
    Exactly one year ago, there were many disappointed AFOLs who felt they missed out on $75 Green Grocers. Ah, the holiday season! :)
    ^--- too bad the Green Grocers were sold out about 30 days before the sale...
    ELGO.com has a bad habit of listing sold out sets during the sale with the sale prices..
    My guess is that they do that in case anything is left in the B&M stores
    And yet in retrospect, paying full price a year ago would still have been a good investment.
  • DavidRod8DavidRod8 Member Posts: 143
    If only we knew then what we know now...
    And that is why everyone and their brother has ten fire brigades in the closet, which is why it probably won't hit $500 by next Christmas...

Oh well, maybe IF or EN will instead?
    Green Grocer sells for between $300-400 on eBay. A used Cafe Corner is still around $400-500 I believe. You have to figure that each of the next modulars will show diminishing investment value. I think that once each retires, they will be worth more. But it's not as though Green Grocer has just gone up up up. It spiked to that level awhile ago, and has remained constant for many months now.

It's reasonable that Fire Brigade would be $200-250 after retirement in the near term, rising to $300-350 after 6-12 months, but it may hold that level for a long time. Still not a bad return considering many folks who are "investing" in these buy them below retail.

Imperial Flagship will be an interesting one. I was shocked at how quickly Grand Carousel and Taj Mahal jumped to big aftermarket prices.